PDA

View Full Version : New player

kendo
12-23-2013, 07:08 AM
What's the best class for a new player? Any classes that are lacking right now overall?

Asap
12-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Welcome pal! There are a ton of these threads already, but great starting classes for new players are necro/mage. Can solo practically naked to 51+ and can farm to twink your melee classes later

fadetree
12-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Welcome. Any class you like playing is the best class for you.

webrunner5
12-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes, pick the class you like to play. P1999 is hard mode. It takes a LONG time to get to 60. Pretty much sucks to play a class that's "needed" rather than one you like.

But I must admit a lot of people will play say a Necro to farm some gear for a Warrior they want to really play down the road. Welcome aboard.

Norathorr
12-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Shaman and enchanter are good options too. Both are popular in groups and can solo.

Messianic
12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
I disagree with the "level a low-gear-dependence class to twink your alt which is actually the class you want to play." And that's after having done it.

I wish I had just spent all that time on the character I actually wanted to play.

myriverse
12-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Everybody has a different natural playstyle and there's a class to fit it. This guide will help you choose. It rates the classes based on gear-dependence, general ease, etc.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide

People diss warriors for being gear-dependent and a weak solo-ability, but they fit my playstyle more than others. I don't find them difficult to solo, just slow to level, and I actually like leveling slowly. I love my warriors. And on P99, it's really easy to twink a warrior cheap without even trying hard. TETO/YMMV/whatevs

webrunner5
12-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Everybody has a different natural playstyle and there's a class to fit it. This guide will help you choose. It rates the classes based on gear-dependence, general ease, etc.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Class_Selection_Guide

People diss warriors for being gear-dependent and a weak solo-ability, but they fit my playstyle more than others. I don't find them difficult to solo, just slow to level, and I actually like leveling slowly. I love my warriors. And on P99, it's really easy to twink a warrior cheap without even trying hard. TETO/YMMV/whatevs

Yeah but it pretty much sucks having a level 10 Warrior with a Orc Pick and Cloth gear. A Warrior and a Shaman are the 2 most expensive classes on here to gear up. Monk probably next.

myriverse
12-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Yeah but it pretty much sucks having a level 10 Warrior with a Orc Pick and Cloth gear. A Warrior and a Shaman are the 2 most expensive classes on here to gear up. Monk probably next.
Sure. But that isn't a problem from my experience. All of my warriors have had full suits bronze by 11-12th level (well, except my Iksar) that were bought entirely by selling furs/bone chips/spider silk to other players.

Asap
12-23-2013, 10:57 AM
I disagree with the "level a low-gear-dependence class to twink your alt which is actually the class you want to play." And that's after having done it.

I wish I had just spent all that time on the character I actually wanted to play.

That is just your play style my friend. I liked watching my warrior wreck shit when I actually had some plat to spend on him.

Daldaen
12-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Certain classes gain huge amounts of power from a select handful of items. And for some of these classes, they happen to be mostly tradeable or MQable.

Monk from Fungi/T Staff/Epic
Shaman from Fungi/JBB/Epic/Torpor (spell)

These two classes happen to have extremely costly tradeable items which grant them nice power jumps.

Classes like bard/necro/Mage/Druid can all solo with bad/no gear relatively well though. The problem with some of these classes, is once at max level they can't really do too many of the cash camps like spore king or crypt. Those tend to be trinity style groups or shaman/monk or shaman/enchanter duos.

heartbrand
12-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Enchanter

skorge
12-23-2013, 11:14 AM
the best class to play is warrior
the best group to join is an all warrior group

ps - bring your own bandages

/end thread

Ciel
12-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Welcome to the server!

Azeam
12-23-2013, 12:52 PM
I echo the others who say play the class you like... not what other people like.

Autotune
12-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Druid is hands down the best class to play as a first on p99. Get to your 30s and start porting people around for plat and then play what you want because you can bankroll that class.

Raavak
12-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Playing something that will make you look forward to logging in and playing is a must. We called leveling "the grind" for a reason. You have to be able to enjoy the journey.

But keep in mind that making money will get you further faster. Some classes are very gear dependent and work better as a secondary character. I'd say quite a few do druid/enchanter/necro for a first time around, and then gear something else like a warrior or rogue, if that's where their heart lies.

It also depends on your playstyle as well. Do you love to group, to solo, or both?

But only you can decide what you want to play.

baalzy
12-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I enjoy having multiple characters so I can have options. Nothing sucks more then logging into your group-oriented character and not finding any groups and just sitting around. However, if you can switch over to your solo-capable class and occasionally do /who's in the group zones and send tells. Then you can get some stuff done and when a group is available you can go play your other character.

Making a Warrior & a druid for example. You can park your druid at level-appropriate money generating camps, log in when you first get on for the day to see if the camp is available. If it is, you're golden. If you get bored you can start sending tells to people 'hey, need a lvl 25 warrior in there? great i'll be right there, name is WarriorDude'. Your druid won't need much in the way of gear (and buying just the essential spells is not that expensive if doing the right camps) so you can focus that money on getting some essentials for your warrior.

Best of both worlds imo.

eqravenprince
12-23-2013, 03:37 PM
What's the best class for a new player? Any classes that are lacking right now overall?

It just depends. A common strategy for new players is to pick a strong solo class as their first character to help build up some money and items. I'd recommend a Magician or Necromancer. If you plan on grouping most of the time, create a Cleric or Enchanter. If you just want to be really unique, then play a Human Wizard and pick an evil religion.

August
12-23-2013, 04:54 PM
My vote is to play what you want to play because if you don't you won't keep playing.

If its a gear dependent class, if you're really having issues, you might be motivated to THEN roll a money-maker char to gear him up a bit.

I started with an enchanter to make money - but enchanter is by far my favorite class in any MMO ever created. I've actually considered rolling another one, just because it is so fun to level as ENC.

I mainly play two of the most expensive classes around (Shm and mnk) because I made bank on my ENC. I tried a monk before and i felt underpowered ocmpared to my ENC. Having him geared out in fungi / decent haste / good weps I feel way more overpowered and am enjoying it a lot more.

kendo
12-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Awesome. Glad to get such feedback which sounds to be a great community. I think I'll roll a chanter. Tried a druid, I want someone more needy! Was deciding to play red or blue too. I think this will be my new home. Thanks guys.

Clark
12-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Welcome!