PDA

View Full Version : Solution to the Trollz

mmiles8
07-29-2010, 01:13 AM
http://www.ip2location.com/ip2proxy-ip-country.aspx

If everyone on the server chipped in two bits, we'd be rid of training/trolling retards for a year. Can we set up a donation page for this? I'd gladly put in more than my share.

If fools think a proxy will afford them unlimited trolling, they can think again.

Abacab2
07-29-2010, 01:30 AM
http://www.ip2location.com/ip2proxy-ip-country.aspx

If everyone on the server chipped in two bits, we'd be rid of training/trolling retards for a year. Can we set up a donation page for this? I'd gladly put in more than my share.

If fools think a proxy will afford them unlimited trolling, they can think again.

Except that works for HTTP/sock4 proxies, when anyone that evades a ban here uses DNS flooding and TCP/IP modification :rolleyes:

mmiles8
07-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Takes a special kind of stupid to think that anything you could do to troll doesn't have a countermeasure. It's not like we're dealing with genius here :)

frefaln
07-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Now now abacab, you're going to ruin Anleus' day. Here she was all proud of herself thinking she found a "solution" when she really has no idea what she's talking about.

Abacab2
07-29-2010, 01:44 AM
Takes a special kind of stupid to think that anything you could do to troll doesn't have a countermeasure. It's not like we're dealing with genius here :)

The ONLY guaranteed way to stop trolls is to close open registration and sterilize.

Which means no one can register on the boards or the eqemulator website without admin approval, it's been done before (LUE) which there are pros and cons to this.

PRO:

- Stops trolling, spamming and junk mail accounts
- Sets a precedence for quality players/members

CON:

- Quadruples the workload for moderators
- Isolates the community and eventually causes it to atrophy
- Creates a system that is unfair for people using non-commercial emails
- Backlogs email system with a flood of account requests lagging the CS

If you want to take this route that's cool, but you'll essentially stop all productivity and growth within the server both player wise and content wise.

Chicka
07-29-2010, 03:20 AM
I'm gonna go with abacab here. See, you might think that these people are stupid, but really that is not the thing that defines their condition at all. People can be really really smart and yet be anti social to an extreme, some of the biggest assholes I have met were also smart.

Take this to the geek level. Geeks are not necessarily nice timid folk folk that you can bully, especially when you find them on the net. YOU ARE IN THEIR WORLD NOW.

So, trust them when they say you cannot stop them. It is true, all that can be done is to limit their exposure, and that my friends, is a sorry ass job that I do not envy our unpaid, and overburdened GMs.

As far as forums go, well, you know, the best method I have ever seen for dealing with trolls is to silence them. Not ban them, silence. What this means is they can post away, but the only people who ever see their posts is them. It takes a while to figure out.

In game, as in forums, free is the home for the cheater and the griefer, free online means infinite lives to those people.

My very first steps in online play was chess. That fine game of intellect, strategy, tactics, and yes, no small amount of memory for book opening moves. How could that be belittled? Answer: bots, players with chess programs, players who messed with timers just before games began, you name it. A game of dignity reduced to trash on the internet. A game where once at a certain level, good opponents are few and far between - the internet was a godsend, and then ultimately a massive disappointment.

More wine please, at least one more bottle.

Emoqq
07-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Uz trollz will no be stop so easily! Oh.. wait...

Wrong trollz.... My bad...