PDA

View Full Version : Phone authentication of account on log in

Buellen
12-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Hello all

I remember a test being run to see a cell phone could be used to authenticate an account. I believe these test where successful .

Could not these system be used to limited number of account a single person ie phone could have own??

For example: say only 1 account per phone number from my understanding the admin can set it up so that when you type in password you would have to type authentication which would also text your phone associated with account and that phone would send back proper id to log in server.

You would have to have a way register an existing account with a phone number.

With all the recent drama this would imho limit account usage and hopefully reflect classic eq in that if you have the earning in real life you could have multiple account if not then 1 or 2 at most.

my thoughts thanks for listening

Garue 49th Half Elf Warrior // Buskier 34th Human Cleric // Shoul Der 37 Human monk

loramin
12-20-2013, 08:57 PM
In theory this seems like a great idea, but I see two problems:

1) More work for already over-worked devs
2) There are services (eg. Google Voice) which let you get additional phone numbers fairly easily

So I think, while I really like the idea, it'd be more work for devs, more hassle for honest players, and dishonest players would just go around it without too much trouble.

Buellen
12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Im not a tech person so this may sound simplistic but for all purpose those not google voice identify its self differently than a cell phone ?

loramin
12-20-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm a tech person but not a phone tech person (although I have done a little Asterisk server programming). As I understand it, it would be difficult if not impossible for the P99 devs to distinguish cell phones from any other phone. When their server receives the phone call they basically get the phone number itself and no other info.

Now you might be able to distinguish say Google Voice from other numbers if you checked a database of known Google Voice numbers, but accessing that database would likely cost extra, and other services might not be as distinguishable as Google Voice.

And that's completely leaving out the issue of disposable cell phones ...

Spitty
12-20-2013, 09:31 PM
...and, at the end of the day, what is the fucking point?

I'm not giving my cell phone number to a bunch of people I don't know, and I'm not going to sign up for some extraneous bullshit just so a select group can feel like we're all part of the super-validated club. No thanks.

Buellen
12-20-2013, 10:18 PM
last time i check this was not RnF i spoke with courtesy would be polite if you did same.

its a FREE server if a process was implement using phone number YOU can choose not to play. I was thinking of a way to simulate how MOST people only had 1 or 2 account in original EQ.
Thank you and nice to carry a polite conversation with you.

Buellen
12-20-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm a tech person but not a phone tech person (although I have done a little Asterisk server programming). As I understand it, it would be difficult if not impossible for the P99 devs to distinguish cell phones from any other phone. When their server receives the phone call they basically get the phone number itself and no other info.

Now you might be able to distinguish say Google Voice from other numbers if you checked a database of known Google Voice numbers, but accessing that database would likely cost extra, and other services might not be as distinguishable as Google Voice.

And that's completely leaving out the issue of disposable cell phones ...

Thank you for clearing that up for me. i would guess disposable phone would allow more account but that incurs a cost itself i believe.

Spitty
12-20-2013, 10:30 PM
It's a free server. You make a good point.

So why is your whole point built around trying to make players pay more to fully engage? Why are you taking things of value - like cell phones, for instance - and compromising them for the sake of a free server?

When you figure out why your approach is so contradictory and elitist, then you'll figure out why I used adult language in the sacred house of your thread.

Langrisserx
12-20-2013, 11:10 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/20/us-usa-security-rsa-idUSBRE9BJ1C220131220

As a key part of a campaign to embed encryption software that it could crack into widely used computer products, the U.S. National Security Agency arranged a secret $10 million contract with RSA, one of the most influential firms in the computer security industry, Reuters has learned.

Barkingturtle
12-20-2013, 11:14 PM
I don't know how to text message. What about me?

Byrjun
12-20-2013, 11:36 PM
What if I'm poor and don't use a phone enough to justify getting owned by a contract? I'm quite happy with my prepaid flip phone, but I wouldn't want to have to pay 5 cents or whatever each time I wanted to log into p99.

I don't see how something like this could be fair to everyone.

Buellen
12-21-2013, 12:09 AM
It's a free server. You make a good point.

So why is your whole point built around trying to make players pay more to fully engage? Why are you taking things of value - like cell phones, for instance - and compromising them for the sake of a free server?

When you figure out why your approach is so contradictory and elitist, then you'll figure out why I used adult language in the sacred house of your thread.

Ok granted some folks may not have a phone or text service. Could a small percentage of player currently playing be affected so that they could not ? that is possible. would the server in such a state reflect EQ in classic time line ?? i would think so. Would a few players having 5 10 20 etc account be affected ?? most defiantly.

Overall it would be a good change IN MY OPINION if it could be implemented.

Garue 49th Level Half Elf warrior // Buskier 34th Human Cleric // Shoul Der 37 human monk.

Langrisserx
12-21-2013, 12:15 AM
everquest is unforgiving. shape up or ship out ur in our world now. says it on the fuckin box.