PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Mage pets (other pets too?) are not generating proper agro

JeremyDS
12-20-2013, 02:17 AM
I believe that Mage pets are not generating enough agro, or at least a non-classic amount of agro.

It can often take multiple rounds of combat for a pet to get control of a mob when all you have done is cast a level one burst of flame at them. Forget about a current level nuke, its all running in circles for the rest of the fight unless your using the earth pet for root.

I'm searching for proof that its "Not Classic", so if anyone wants to chime in or help me prove it, please do.

Its pretty easy to remember pets being at least semi-competent at protecting me back in the old days. Thank you for looking into this, and for all your work here.

Velerin
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
With the raid scene fix is there any chance we can get this looked at some more? Even if pet aggro can't be brought back up to normal (due to raid mob exploitation), can we at least get their casting back up to what it should be (which should help some)? There was a very detailed post showing proof that pet casting is not what it should:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107938

In the current state, a mage really can't cast much of anything without pulling aggro from the pet. Mages also don't have root (like necros, enchanters, and shammies) to mitigate the reduced pet aggro.

Potus
01-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Aggro in general is bugged on this server. But Pet Aggro is flat out broken. They simply do not hold any aggro at all, which is quite weird because most pet casters are balanced around that principle.

So yeah, it's broken beyond belief.

SamwiseRed
01-13-2014, 06:34 PM
With the raid scene fix is there any chance we can get this looked at some more? Even if pet aggro can't be brought back up to normal (due to raid mob exploitation), can we at least get their casting back up to what it should be (which should help some)? There was a very detailed post showing proof that pet casting is not what it should:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107938

In the current state, a mage really can't cast much of anything without pulling aggro from the pet. Mages also don't have root (like necros, enchanters, and shammies) to mitigate the reduced pet aggro.

this is why i prefere earth pet over fire unless you are chain summoning. Without earth pet rooting you gonna be runnin if you cast even one nuke.

Sarius
01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
I think Mage pet agro works pretty well. You can't expect to sic pet and instantly try to blow the mob to smithereens without repercussions. You have to allow your pet to build agro just like a warrior would in a group.

Velerin
01-13-2014, 07:09 PM
I think Mage pet agro works pretty well. You can't expect to sic pet and instantly try to blow the mob to smithereens without repercussions. You have to allow your pet to build agro just like a warrior would in a group.

I highly doubt you play a mage here or you would know what we are talking about.

Sarius
01-13-2014, 07:16 PM
I highly doubt you play a mage here or you would know what we are talking about.

I played a Mage to 58. Unless their agro was changed within the last 6 months, I know exactly what I am talking about.

Potus
01-13-2014, 07:27 PM

Did you play a mage pet on live?

Pets don't even hold aggro at level 5, it's broken.

Sarius
01-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Did you play a mage pet on live?

Pets don't even hold aggro at level 5, it's broken.

Maybe pet cast rate is the largest problem.

Potus
01-14-2014, 12:09 AM
Maybe pet cast rate is the largest problem.

Necromancer pets don't hold aggro at level 5 either, and it should be snap aggro up until the 20s-30s even if you cast snare right off the bat.

koros
01-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Bump for this. Pets always held aggro at low levels, even with melees in the group it would be iffy on if melee or pet was taking hits. Pet aggro was never low, and they could hold aggro in melee range til mid Velious.

Arteker
01-14-2014, 04:12 AM
probably toned down due to the future abuse of giant/aow charm killa killa strat.

Daldaen
01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
probably toned down due to the future abuse of giant/aow charm killa killa strat.

Giant aggro wasn't the problem in those strats. It was the fact that DI would be a full heal on a 25k HP giant. I guess Dlammaz won't be charm able here, but his 100k HP was ridiculous in combination with DI. Could just alternate DIing him on 2 clerics and do nothing else and win given no charm break. Add in Kallis as a pet and it was GG.