PDA

View Full Version : Melee seems odd on this server...

jeffd
07-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Currently playing on a lowbie Ogre SK, and it seems like something is off with melee miss rates. In a typical fight with a white con, I'll generally have an ~75% missrate, and the other 25% are almost always either 1 damage or 18 damage (with a 2hs). Blues aren't much better, with somewhere around ~50%+ missrate. Melee skills are all capped.

Is this the situation at higher levels as well? I can't remember ever having this problem on my SK or Monk in EQLive.

tj218
07-28-2010, 07:54 PM
The missrate seems to be a bit high...not to mention that it seems (guess I really need to look) that if you miss on your single attack, the double attack will also miss.

hueylewis187
07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Missrate is really high even to this day on eqlive at low levels :( It sucks.

You must remember melee in classic were much worse than on this server.

This server has updated damage tables and other mechanics that only help melee.

When you get your 1hs or other skills higher. You will notice a big difference.
It's always been like this on liveeq also.

Bubbles
07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
People play melee classes?

Tseng
07-28-2010, 11:04 PM
FWIW, I have never thought things were that bad on my melee chars

Kinamur1999
07-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Play a mage, your pet will be 10x any melee dps/tank

RKromwell
07-28-2010, 11:13 PM
You tend to notice a lot more when you are low level and you need that hit to land. Over all it isn't that bad. Doesn't seem any different than live.

Messianic
07-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Are you using a 1hander or a 2hander?

I noticed the miss rate was exceptionally higher when I was trying to use my fists instead of a twohanded staff. The difference was so incredible that I was actually doing better DPS with a Treant staff with about 10 ranks in 2handed blunt weapons than I was with maxed hand-hand at level 11. I notice the miss rate for DW weapons is incredibly high - even on live, I used a Tranquil staff over epic-quality fists because 1) I always did better with a powerhouse twohander than with my fists or two good one-hand weapons, 2) the 15 or so second auto-Riposte-every-attack discipline worked incredibly well with a tranquil staff, and 3) the Tranquil staff rocked face.

Cogwell
07-29-2010, 09:14 AM
EQ always had a high miss rate.

I think people notice it more simply because at low level, you don't have Double Attack, Dual Wield, etc; so the misses are more conspicuous.

Also, you have less ATK from gear, nor AAs, melee foci that you like had the last time you were playing.

Add to that, at low level you are most likely killing targets that are just around your level, or slightly above - whereas at high level you'll more likely be attacking targets that below your level somewhat (outside of raids) - and level differential plays a role in virtually every calculation in EQ.

heyokah
07-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Lowbie ogre? Shitty dex? Might be a contributing factor.

Kraun
07-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Dex should have no impact on hit rate in EQ.

Dantes
07-29-2010, 04:06 PM
As far as I can tell this is only a low level thing. Miss rates seemed a little excessive when I was low level, yet things seemed to start improving when I reached mid teens and have been getting better ever since. I could barely solo a blue con lesser mummy without spending my entire health bar, now at level 25 I can solo 2 sometimes 3 blues before I need to rest. Of course we had some AC mitigation changes recently too, that could have something to do with it, but while watching the hits/misses things seem to be a lot better.

Lower levels were tough. Just get into groups and level as fast as you can.