PDA

View Full Version : Have you lost someone because of EQ?

fuji
07-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Either in live or in p1999? I have been pretty good at managing my time in p1999, but live was a different story.

I dropped out of HS, lost my gf and gained 20lbs in the process.

Wondering if anyone else here has a similar experience?

Harmonicdeth
07-28-2010, 03:57 PM
You sir are honest.

Nope I never lost anyone due to MMO's. Just my blatant lack of interest in the relationship after 5 years is my only claim to fame for that type of "loss"

Eyry
07-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, to be honest, I graduated high school, then college, then got married, then gained 20lbs...i guess i would say...I lost myself but at the same time...gained 20lbs more?

Messianic
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Well, to be honest, I graduated high school, then college, then got married, then gained 20lbs...i guess i would say...I lost myself but at the same time...gained 20lbs more?

If you're anything like your profile pic, you gained more than 20 pounds ;D

fuji
07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
If you're anything like your profile pic, you gained more than 20 pounds ;D

Lawls so hard.

azeth
07-28-2010, 04:15 PM
ages 12-18 my M-F schedule was something like :

EQ til 4 am,
sleep,
School @ 7,
Baseball Practice til 4,
Homework til 6,
repeat.

Thankfully I quit due to boredom (not due to RL at all) before college in 2004.

Barkingturtle
07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
My first child starved in his crib before his first birthday, but I did get a manastone out of it.

Overcast
07-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Either in live or in p1999? I have been pretty good at managing my time in p1999, but live was a different story.

I dropped out of HS, lost my gf and gained 20lbs in the process.

Wondering if anyone else here has a similar experience?

Not in EQ - but I've been gaming much longer.

Wife actually talked me into EQ - guess I was lucky, I got her interested in gaming prior to EQ, she was an avid Quake player.

But prior to that - my time on video games and not paying the attention I should have brought me very close to that edge...

We communicated well and worked it all out... Then not much later, she started playing Quake and it was much more 'eye to eye'.

Now though - with 2 teenagers, a house to deal with, a more demanding job, and similar - I just don't have the time to game as much, lol.

Lill-Leif
07-29-2010, 05:08 AM
I feel asleep on my cleric once and lost the maintank :(

Tronjer
07-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Didn't lose anything what was worth to maintain, but EQ changed my life, up to the point that I took a new profession which allows me hang out whole day on the internet.

Lusst
07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I lost a girlfriend in high school because I would play like 10 hours a day, but it led me to meet my wife.

And my wife has a nicer ass, so it's win-win.

sidgb
07-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I gained a bunch of lifelong friends from EQ.

How do you loose something if you are doing what you want and someone else demands you do as they wish? Sounds to me like addition by subtraction. As for it being "selfish", when someone demands you behave as they wish or else, who is really being selfish?

Walabaego
07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I've actually lost weight playing EQ...odd, usually its the opposite? Loss of sleep too, worth it. :P

Seeatee
07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I quit my job over EQ because I didnt want to miss a raid, of course the job was getting progressively worse and I was thinking about quiting anyway and I was like F it why not.

I guess you could also say i lost a couple of friends over EQ because i just sort of lost touch with them, but they mostly just got me into big trouble anyway so C'est la vie

Lazortag
07-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I gained over 9000 pounds

MeldrathRN
07-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I had 2 friends drop out of college due to their heavy mmorpg schedules, but the culprits then were AC and DAoC. I'm surprised all of my old EQ buddies came out unscathed more or less. :D

xplodr
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
I lost a girlfriend in high school because I would play like 10 hours a day, but it led me to meet my wife.

And my wife a nicer ass, so it's win-win.

So your GF in High School was a mean ass and your wife is a nicer ass?

I argued and fought with my wife alot over EQ when I played live, although she got over herself eventually. I told her if she doesn't like it to gtfo and leave me alone. We got married less than a year before I started playing EQ and we're still married and we celebrated our 11th anniversary in May...

Sykem
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM

And your 2nd grade mind thought that up to be clever, right? :rolleyes:

xplodr
07-29-2010, 11:48 AM
And your 2nd grade mind thought that up to be clever, right? :rolleyes:

No. My college level mind noticed his bad grammar and had to comment :P
But I did notice your failed attempt at insulting random internet strangers! I wonder how many of your type would even bother opening their mouths if they were not protected by internet anonymity?

Sykem
07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
My type? Now you're going into a whole different ballpark buddy, you don't know me, and I don't know you, nor do I care to know you to be honest.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just thought your comment was a little "2nd grade-ish" that is all.

girth
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Quit NCAA d1 baseball for EQ in college. PoP was too fun. Never lost a girl or friend cause of it though.

KilyenaMage
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I argued and fought with my wife alot over EQ when I played live, **although she got over herself eventually.** I told her if she doesn't like it to gtfo and leave me alone.

LMAO....you my friend, are a jedi master !!!

He said SHE got over HERSELF. Like it was HER doing the obsessive gaming. Classics this.

KilyenaMage
07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
My type? Now you're going into a whole different ballpark buddy, you don't know me, and I don't know you, nor do I care to know you to be honest.

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just thought your comment was a little "2nd grade-ish" that is all.

I'm fairly certain, if not positive, that I could beat the #@$& out of you, pal.

Why you ask!?!? I'm an internet tough guy, that's why. NOOB !!!

Dantes
07-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I missed out on some pretty good opportunities because of EQ. I had a cushy job strait of out highschool and after I got settled in I just sort of got lazy. The company I worked for actually ended up building MySpace and later selling it for 265 million or whatever ungodly amount. Stock options pay off well when things like that happen. Unfortunately that happened AFTER I left. Oh well.

But, since I was such a nerdy kid, I didn't have a girlfriend to lose. Actually a hot cougar from my guild jumped my bones, so if anything the game helped me get laid. How pathetic is that? But then I went and chased another girl I met in the game, she was a tease and I wasted like 3 years of my life obsessing about her and got nothing to show for -- other than the fact that I learned a valuable lesson about leverage. I'm not "the nice guy" anymore, nice guys finish last.

So yeah, MMORPG women are crazy. And internet upstarts make you more money than EverQuest does.

Sykem
07-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm fairly certain, if not positive, that I could beat the #@$& out of you, pal.

Why you ask!?!? I'm an internet tough guy, that's why. NOOB !!!

Congratulations, would you like a cookie?

Aarone
07-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Possibly only myself.

Lusst
07-29-2010, 03:03 PM

I argued and fought with my wife alot over EQ when I played live, although she got over herself eventually. I told her if she doesn't like it to gtfo and leave me alone. We got married less than a year before I started playing EQ and we're still married and we celebrated our 11th anniversary in May...

Sorry, this guy was typing:

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg474/xLusstx/lolwut2.jpg

Jael
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM

Surely you must know, with a ridiculous overly masculine response (testosterone much?) such as that - she's probably been banging the mailman on the side all these years.
:D

PhelanKA
07-29-2010, 07:46 PM
It wasn't the main reason but one of them for why I broke up with a GF in college. She kinda went off the deep end with this Campus Crusade group in college (Christian activist group). Breaking up with her meant more time for EQ which was a bonus :)

Slayde
07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I was in high school when EQ came out. Me and 2 other friends had been anticipating the games release for months (me and one of the friends were in beta) Everything was good when it was released. Except for the third friend. After just a couple months, he went from nerdy teachers pet kind of guy to, dropping out of high school and never talking to anyone outside his house. I didn't see that guy again for at least 6 or 7 years. Turned out he eventually peeled away from EQ and joined the military lol. As for me the only thing I lost over EQ was sleep. Lots and lots of sleep lol.

eqdruid76
07-30-2010, 12:11 AM

By all accounts husband, wife, and wife's lover couldn't be happier. :)

NizmerThafen
07-30-2010, 08:30 AM
No, can't say I've ever lost anyone due to EQ or anything else 'internet related.' Started EQ when I was 15, went to college at 17, and graduated a few years later. EQ was never a problem and I even raided nearly every night during the period I played. I just set some basic rules: Real Life first, gaming second.

I've heard some pretty ****** up stories about losing wives, children, homes, money, careers, etc. I wanted to avoid that. It's just a game, but I understand how alluring it is to slip into an simulated reality where all our real life difficulties evaporate and you can be whoever you want to be.

MeldrathRN
07-30-2010, 02:21 PM
No, can't say I've ever lost anyone due to EQ or anything else 'internet related.' Started EQ when I was 15, went to college at 17, and graduated a few years later. EQ was never a problem and I even raided nearly every night during the period I played. I just set some basic rules: Real Life first, gaming second.

I've heard some pretty ****** up stories about losing wives, children, homes, money, careers, etc. I wanted to avoid that. It's just a game, but I understand how alluring it is to slip into an simulated reality where all our real life difficulties evaporate and you can be whoever you want to be.

you sound a little too normal to be playing on p1999...

Overcast
07-30-2010, 04:02 PM
you sound a little too normal to be playing on p1999...

lol

I've lost 6 wives, 13 children, 4 dogs, and spilled maybe 3 gallons of beer on the desk.

Dang.. hate wasting beer.

azeth
07-30-2010, 04:04 PM
4 dogs, and spilled maybe 3 gallons of beer on the desk.

These are your only real losses. amirite?

Overcast
07-30-2010, 04:06 PM
These are your only real losses. amirite?

:eek:

(Was just kidding anyway)

Only thing I REALLY lost was some time at work... sick daze.. what a damn shame~

Cribanox
07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I lost my virginity because of my addiction to EQ

JK

stormlord
07-31-2010, 04:17 AM
Did EQ cause you to lose it, or were you losing it already?

Sometimes I wonder if EQ caused our economy to slump. Too many people playing it?

Other times I think EQ killed god and MTV. It's confusing.

Sykem
07-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Other times I think EQ killed god and MTV. It's confusing.

http://www.nyjtimes.com/Entertainment/Games/2003/Evercracked.htm