PDA

View Full Version : It's all in the Attitude.

tuxqueot
07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
So, I'm sitting in EC, mostly AFK. I'm a 50 mage but I have /role on and minding my own business, scanning auctions while reading the paper. I get several tells asking for damage shield, ports, clarity, haste, DMF, you name it. Since I am mainly reading paper and looking at the chat window with auctions, I don't always see the tells and mostly ignore them. Some of them got downright rude because I wasn't being helpful. I found this funny since I haven't moved, haven't said anything, haven't done anything so really there was no reason to think I wasn't AFK, yet god forbid there be a wiz sitting in EC not porting, or enc sitting there not casting haste/clarity, or OMG you're a mage and not casting damage shield on every noob that walks by?? for shame.

Later I got up, walked over to orc1 and DSed every noob there just because they didn't ask me for it and insult me for not doing it. Maybe I should start a list of all the noobs who insult me so I know who never to help in the future...naaa, I'm just not like that.

So, this morning, it's a slow morning, not much going on, so I decide to play my lowbie cleric, Dikmer, for a bit. So, I was sitting in oasis, on the dock, medding up after killing a couple crocs. Up comes a warrior fighting 6 or 7 crocs. Now, to my knowledge, I haven't noticed crocs as being very social. So as I see it, he must have deliberately aggroed all those crocs. Judging by how all were going down he must have gotten a DS before running here. Interesting.

a_dumbass_warrior_01 says, "heal me"
I says, "invite me to group"
a_dumbass_warrior_01 says, "why? I just need a heal"
I says, "clerics need exp too."
a_dumbass_warrior_01 says, "but I am soloing"
I says, "well then, solo yourself a heal"
I walks away, and as you can expect, a_dumbass_warrior_01 died then sent me 7 or 8 tells about what a Dick I was. Yeah, that one's original.

Then you see threads like this one:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13131

Did these people bug Emoqq for any help? no
Did they insult him for not helping? no
Were they appreciative of the help they were given? yes

Now, I realize this post will go no where, but I wanna say, the help you do, or do not, receive can usually be directly related to your attitude, how you approach it, and how you act when someone, for whatever reason, does not help.

mmiles8
07-28-2010, 03:04 PM
What's a Dikmer? Wait, that's not how that joke goes...

azeth
07-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I walks away, and as you can expect, a_dumbass_warrior_01 died then sent me 7 or 8 tells about what a Dick I was. Yeah, that one's original.

When that Warrior replied "but i am soloing" he must have at that instant realized what a stupid thing to say it was, given the situation.

Messianic
07-28-2010, 03:30 PM

LOL

Chicka
07-28-2010, 03:58 PM
It is fairly common that folk think because you can heal, and you are there, that you should heal them when they can't handle their pulls. I used to help a lot that way on live (early on), but frankly the result is usually you die from heal aggro. All the risk, no reward.

I don't group with those fools anymore.

Messianic
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
It is fairly common that folk think because you can heal, and you are there, that you should heal them when they can't handle their pulls. I used to help a lot that way on live (early on), but frankly the result is usually you die from heal aggro. All the risk, no reward.

I make it a point to let people die who try this. That's the only way they learn.

It's kind of the "I'll cut myself unless you love me," holding-yourself-for-ransom strategy.

Waedawen
07-28-2010, 04:07 PM
You should see the responses I get when I tell the odd noob (that mysteriously only asks for regen and thorns, and no skin or strength) that I'll give him regen but no thorns.

Lulz are had

Shaun421
07-28-2010, 04:22 PM
What's a Dikmer? Wait, that's not how that joke goes...

Haha miles, I thought the exact same thing.

Overcast
07-28-2010, 04:25 PM
You should see the responses I get when I tell the odd noob (that mysteriously only asks for regen and thorns, and no skin or strength) that I'll give him regen but no thorns.

Lulz are had

See - I don't get that, lol.

I'd just be like, "Thanks for the regen!!" - I'll take what I can get, I never EXPECT anyone to buff me.

If I want DS and Regen, I should play a druid.... If people REALLY don't wanna be without heals - they need to play a healer, etc.

erasser
07-28-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't see the problem in lower levels asking for buffs. When I played my enchanter and went to lower zones, I would happily buff someone who asked. If they came to me and asked, it wasn't a problem. I've always told myself, "I've been in that same position and really appreciated it when someone higher helped me." Pass along the helpfulness and you will feel good about yourself.

If the lower level person gets rude, they don't deserve it.

Maxium
07-29-2010, 01:02 AM
The warrior sounds like he's new to EQ. He could sit here and argue on paper he's not, but you don't pull that kinda crap. I wouldn't have helped him.

I honestly see more corpses on this server, than I ever did in 7 years of playing the live one. Some of the corpses boggle me on how they got to where they are sitting. I've seen numerious ones sitting right on top of spawns, but looted.

Which means when they got back, instead of dragging it to a safe spot, they simply looted it before the mob respawned and left the corpse there.

Uh.. how the hell do you expect to get a rezz? Since that's gotta be the only reason you left it on the ground.

World of Warcraft is to blame for people like that warrior. MMO's now are watered down and easy. Hence why half the people that play that game, would never reach the level cap on this server.

stormlord
07-29-2010, 01:30 AM
So, I'm sitting in EC, mostly AFK. I'm a 50 mage but I have /role on and minding my own business, scanning auctions while reading the paper. I get several tells asking for damage shield, ports, clarity, haste, DMF, you name it. Since I am mainly reading paper and looking at the chat window with auctions, I don't always see the tells and mostly ignore them. Some of them got downright rude because I wasn't being helpful. I found this funny since I haven't moved, haven't said anything, haven't done anything so really there was no reason to think I wasn't AFK, yet god forbid there be a wiz sitting in EC not porting, or enc sitting there not casting haste/clarity, or OMG you're a mage and not casting damage shield on every noob that walks by?? for shame.

Later I got up, walked over to orc1 and DSed every noob there just because they didn't ask me for it and insult me for not doing it. Maybe I should start a list of all the noobs who insult me so I know who never to help in the future...naaa, I'm just not like that.

So, this morning, it's a slow morning, not much going on, so I decide to play my lowbie cleric, Dikmer, for a bit. So, I was sitting in oasis, on the dock, medding up after killing a couple crocs. Up comes a warrior fighting 6 or 7 crocs. Now, to my knowledge, I haven't noticed crocs as being very social. So as I see it, he must have deliberately aggroed all those crocs. Judging by how all were going down he must have gotten a DS before running here. Interesting.

Then you see threads like this one:
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13131

Did these people bug Emoqq for any help? no
Did they insult him for not helping? no
Were they appreciative of the help they were given? yes

Now, I realize this post will go no where, but I wanna say, the help you do, or do not, receive can usually be directly related to your attitude, how you approach it, and how you act when someone, for whatever reason, does not help.

You still should have healed him. You look like you want attention in this post.

When I see someone, I don't assume they have a DS or that they're mean spirited or so on. I just see someone that needs help. A true samaritan doesn't discriminate like you say you did.

If you help them, they might feel guilty and they may someday change how they do things.

You won't make them a good person by not being a good example.

Look at it this way. If they don't help anyone, they will live with shame. That's karma. Karma's a bitch.

druziil
07-29-2010, 05:33 AM
except buff beggers are shameless, and cheap, very unlikely to offer a donation for buffs, like someone said earlier, just expect because you are there and presumably doing nothing, it should just be a given.

i regularly refuse to buff people when i am in the tunnel.

thxer
07-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Chances are you would have eaten heal agro and he would have let you die while 'soloing' the others.

Fuck him.

Itchybottom
07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
I've gated to my bind point in EC tunnel quite a few times, heavily DoT'd, with about 15-20 seconds to live. I've asked for a heal, explained that I am going to die without one, and no one has done a thing. You'd think Dill Pickle at least, with how he just walks back and forth in the tunnel all day would have the mana to toss a single heal on someone :D

Aadill
07-29-2010, 09:06 AM
I've gated to my bind point in EC tunnel quite a few times, heavily DoT'd, with about 15-20 seconds to live. I've asked for a heal, explained that I am going to die without one, and no one has done a thing. You'd think Dill Pickle at least, with how he just walks back and forth in the tunnel all day would have the mana to toss a single heal on someone :D

You know, I was cool with this guy having pretty much the same name as me at first but does Dill really just run around EC all day everyday? :mad:

tuxqueot
07-29-2010, 11:17 AM
You still should have healed him. You look like you want attention in this post.

When I see someone, I don't assume they have a DS or that they're mean spirited or so on. I just see someone that needs help. A true samaritan doesn't discriminate like you say you did.

If you help them, they might feel guilty and they may someday change how they do things.

You won't make them a good person by not being a good example.

Look at it this way. If they don't help anyone, they will live with shame. That's karma. Karma's a bitch.

I see you missed the entire point of my post. My point was that the way you ask for help, and they way you act when you do/don't receive help makes alot of difference in how people will act towards you.

That being said, I never claimed to be a samaritan. I was playng a Cleric not a Saint. Clerics need exp too. I would have been happy to group with him, heal him all day long, sharing the risk and the reward. He chose not to group, he chose to attempt to abuse any generosity I may have had. If I had allowed him, he would have drained me of mana, limiting my ability to get exp for myself. I did the only thing I could do for myself in this situation and walked away. I play a game for my own enjoyment, not to make sure every swinging dick that walks by me has a good time.

Hell, had he simply gotten into trouble with social mobs I may have been inclined to toss him a heal. But crocs are not social, he had to have deliberatly aggroed all those crocs and figured he would abuse the fact a cleric happened to be sitting nearby. His choice. And I don't feel bad about my choice.

Eyry
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
^^ /agree

Overcast
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Just need to start telling them..

"Well, I have some Shadow Knight buffs, if you want - just target me and type /duel and I can give them to you".

heh