PDA

View Full Version : Decisions!

Xarinr
12-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi project 1999

So i played eq over the years never had the chance to play classic so thought why not give it a go.

Im sorta torn between sk,nec,shm i know its a weird split but the three that i seemed to like. I am swaying towards sk but i was wondering... Does the exp pen really hurt? When i played i cant remember it being there? I dont have a great deal of playtime but these classes seem pretty cool!

Just wondered if people have played can tell me what they think i guess. Ivlogged in seemed to be loads of necros. Shm but like 20 sks.

Advice would be appreciated :)

Culkasi
12-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Noone on P99 should worry about xp penalty. You should play on here for the joy of re experiencing the journey you loved. If you want to be max level etc quickly, you should play on live, which is also F2P

DrKvothe
12-17-2013, 09:56 AM
SK/Pally are your superior small group tanks all the way through the game. They grab aggro fast. The exp penalty is sort of dispersed through your group, so it's less of an issue of you leveling slow than of you finding a group that won't discriminate against you for it.

Shaman untwinked sort of sucks til 24, is mediocre until 34, and then really starts to shine. My shaman is about to hit 54, and despite seriously low budget gear, I still feel pretty powerful.

Swish
12-17-2013, 09:59 AM
The hybrid penalty (40%) will hurt...and it goes up to 68% if you pick a troll or lizard SK. If you're here to have fun and aren't too worried about how quick you get to 60, then take on the troll/iksar SK challenge. I have a lot of respect for those that have made it, I can only imagine how bad the hell levels were in the 50s.

There really are a ton of shammies on this server, it stopped me rolling one here (was my main on live for years and years)...but they're extremely useful so having 2 in a group is never a bad thing :)

Above all though try something new, or play something you know you enjoyed on live. It's all about having fun and re-experiencing old times... a lot of people around here have forgotten about that, and treat P99 as a challenge to grind as much platinum as they can.

Whatever you roll, I'm sure you'll enjoy it again. Welcome aboard :)

SwordNboard
12-17-2013, 10:03 AM
SK will get you in to groups/the community and meeting people all the time since tanks are always in need. The shaman is a very high maintenance class since you are constantly buffing and canni-dancing to keep your group happy. However, shaman are one the most powerful classes high-end. The necro would be great for your low playtime due to their soloability, but will result in less groups and friends or potentially cause you to get bored/lonely. They are great plat/item farmers also, mind you. I say you should start with the SK to get involved with the server. People are always happy to help out with some minor gear if you need it. Just ask!

Shaakglith12194
12-17-2013, 10:06 AM
I have a 52 troll sk and yes, the exp penalty can be brutal. However, I can't imagine playing a different race for my sk. It's the class I wanted to play and the race I wanted to play. I enjoy it a great deal.

Xarinr
12-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks for replys its greatly appreciated.

I did jump online with the intention of playing a few chars n making a decision. However i rolled an sk. And that was that lol. On live i played a bard and sure i would like to see what they were like back in the day but owing to people ive spoke to try something new is a good idea (that and saving my wrists from permanent damage ha)

So xarinr the sk has been born. Might try a bard to say ive done it but for now sk all the way and :p to the exp pen.. Ha

Again thanks for advice its appreciated

Clark
12-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Shaman ideal for farming and gearing other characters. Necromancer isn't too bad as well. SK is a lot of work without best in slots and fungi. Not too long hybrid xp penalty should be removed as well I'd imagine.

baalzy
12-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Ogre SK has slightly less penalty than a troll and that frontal-stun immunity is huge when trying to get off a FD or tab-target an add that you wanna drop a disease cloud on because it agro'd your cleric and you don't have an enchanter. I've been leveling a cleric and there is a VERY noticable lack of tanks in my current level range (30s). People will gladly take a lower-than-the-group-average level SK and will still gladly take a higher level one. They also have the ability to solo in their downtime (slowly, but you can self-fear kite to get *some* xp if you're having trouble finding a group).

Necro is a super powerful class that can solo level super fast, farm well, and be a great asset to a group (hint, at level 20 you get an 80hp heal that only costs you 40mana and 20 hp if you use cancel magic correctly. At level 44 you can heal 320 hp for 40mana and 80 hp, at 54 you can heal 500hp for 40mana and 125 hp). You can also ghetto mez and mana-pump and you've got a strong pet that can DPS for you. The only real problem with grouping as a necro is you have to adapt your role for various level ranges. However you can duo effectively with anyone. Iksar have the biggest natural advantage for late-game with their innate regen, but Gnomes get the ability to see through walls (really useful when farming a dungeon) and will have the least amount of faction problems.

People already sang Shamans praises and I'll agree with them, very powerful class especially late game for farming & grouping.

Of the 3, Necro is going to be the least gear-dependent but SK doesn't need a lot of gear and people are pretty charitable. I think you'd have the most fun as an SK.

HeallunRumblebelly
12-18-2013, 04:48 PM
EXP penalty is really not an issue. I mean holy shit, we've been in kunark for like 3 years--you have time.

HeallunRumblebelly
12-18-2013, 04:49 PM
SK/Pally are your superior small group tanks all the way through the game. They grab aggro fast. The exp penalty is sort of dispersed through your group, so it's less of an issue of you leveling slow than of you finding a group that won't discriminate against you for it.

Shaman untwinked sort of sucks til 24, is mediocre until 34, and then really starts to shine. My shaman is about to hit 54, and despite seriously low budget gear, I still feel pretty powerful.

SHM is mediocre until 60. Class would be garb w/o torpors / canna.

Elements
12-18-2013, 05:10 PM

slow + regen = gg

feanan
12-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Keep in mind, since you aren't a twink, you'll be pretty group dependent.

fadetree
12-18-2013, 05:18 PM

?

Um, no.

Xelris
12-18-2013, 08:39 PM

And the best slows in the game. And the second best hastes. And healing. And CC. And some of the best dots. And a pet. And awesome buffs. And a comparatively easy epic that never loses usefulness. And has access to JBBs, but functions fine without it. And is in the top 3 solo classes for xp. And exclusive access to high-demand, money-making consumable potions. And the ability to solo dragons in Velious or duo Derekor at top end. And can feign death with sky gear.

Other than that, yeah, totally mediocre class.

Telin
12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
I still have never leveled a Shaman Or Necro and always wanted to try.

Malone88
12-18-2013, 09:18 PM
As an enchanter/rogue, I LOVE having SK/PAL tanks because I never get hit. XP penalty is a small price to pay for a little extra security...

Yes, you may not be invited to some groups with min-maxers, but you probably don't want to group with them anyway...;)

HeallunRumblebelly
12-18-2013, 10:47 PM
And the best slows in the game. And the second best hastes. And healing. And CC. And some of the best dots. And a pet. And awesome buffs. And a comparatively easy epic that never loses usefulness. And has access to JBBs, but functions fine without it. And is in the top 3 solo classes for xp. And exclusive access to high-demand, money-making consumable potions. And the ability to solo dragons in Velious or duo Derekor at top end. And can feign death with sky gear.

Other than that, yeah, totally mediocre class.

Speaking as a farming class :P Torpor (and puppet strings $$) turns em into Gods. It's good prior to that, but not like torpor / canna cycles.

webrunner5
12-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Shaman is the most expensive class to equip in the whole game. Keep that in mind. Other than epic.

Xarinr
12-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Well i thought i would update :)

So played sk and yeah took a while but the feel of the class is quite cool. A guy hailed me (cant remember name) gave me some stuff as he was deleting char! Was awsome. He is lvl 7/8 ish now got random buffs from a druid was good fun. Then to top it off had a guy called kapow or kapoow he was a monk gave me bronze armor haste belt.. Said im leaving server and that was that! Crazy!

Also rolled a necro . He is lvl 10 i think i have played necro before but pet is vvvv useful. The pet exp thing is abit meh but hey who cares!

Also played a bit of a enchanter and shm. Shammy not sure why but was the only class i didnt get that "feel" for.. Not sure why and i know a class doesnt show there potential for a while but hey how i felt :) if that makes sence.

One thing i can say is server community is awsome. Reminds me of playing when my friend said to me "you got a good pc now and eq has released luclin try it" always regretted not playing classic so glad to have the opportunity.

Awsome community and glad there are groups around. So far couldnt be more pleased.

So my plan is to play sk/necro/chanter and see which one sticks balls to exp pens my new theory! Lol

Sk name is xarinr necro is metap chanter is memezin out of them il find a main lol