PDA

View Full Version : DON'T GET SCAMMED!!!

skorge
12-16-2013, 08:43 AM
I know there is one of these in the EC forums but one needs to go here too.

I hate when I hear people are being scammed in the most stupid of ways! One of my friends just got scammed 10k for making a really dumb mistake.

Ways to avoid getting scammed:

Before you click on that trade button, inspect, inspect, INSPECT the item to ensure that it is in-fact the item you are getting! A perfect example would be purchasing a Tranix Crown for 10k and the guy putting up an elemental binder instead.

Always, always, get your platinum first in any trade or sell you do. Think of it as a store. You pay them money first. Get your platinum first, don't let people scam you into paying you later.

If someone tells you that they are in a high level guild and they aren't tagged (you don't see their guild name over their head) and they are asking for something such as platinum or are claiming they will pay you the other part of the platinum on their main character, don't listen to them. EVER!

Never trust a stranger; if you are doing transfers rely on a friend or guildmate, but if for some reason you can't find one online, look for someone level 60 in a well known guild such as BDA, IB, TMO for help - make sure you see the guild tag above their name! Send them a tell and ask if they will help you.

Helpful tools on pricing items:

Project 1999 Wiki (type in name of item on the search to see it's recent value) (http://wiki.project1999.com/)

Track down auctions on your browser (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65187)

Lanzellot
12-16-2013, 08:45 AM
+1 for your thread my good friend

Twainz
12-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Give all your platinum to Twainzbankz the PvP flagged bard in EC. /profit

Aaron
12-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Tranix Crown and Elemental Binder have a completely different graphic.

Tecmos Deception
12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Runed circlet etc.

skorge
12-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Someone who has never seen how a Tranix Crown looks (someone rather new) may make this mistake and in fact has. Point is to always hover over the item and click on it to make sure, especially if you are a newer player.

Anyone notice how many newcomers we have had lately? Not just to P99 but to EQ in general.

quido
12-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Anyone dumb enough to not know all this without being told deserves to get scammed.

arsenalpow
12-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Also, if you're guilded with the person helping you with a transaction try to verify that it's them with vent or TS. A scammer tried to impersonate me the other day, my guildy was suspicious because it was early on a weekday when I'm never on and I wasn't in vent.

skorge
12-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Anyone dumb enough to not know all this without being told deserves to get scammed.

Word, but sometimes simple things slip people's minds. That's why I wanted to make this thread. It's annoying to know that there are scumbags who get away with scamming people like this.

Sure, it's your own fault if you fall for it, but in the end another douchebag wins. I would prefer the dumbass winning over the douchebag.

Twainz
12-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Don't you get a message in chat telling you what items someone just put in trade with you?

Kraftwerk
12-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Don't you get a message in chat telling you what items someone just put in trade with you?

Yep, blue server awareness sinking to new lows.

Kraftwerk
12-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Someone buy my blue plat I got truckloads of it. I need red plat in return.

Aaron
12-16-2013, 10:52 AM

I'm with this.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

Itap
12-16-2013, 10:55 AM
I will gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today

webrunner5
12-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Gee, everyone was new to this game at one time or another. Cut the Noobs some slack Guido. :( If this thread saves one person from getting screwed its worth it.

The Situation
12-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Gee, everyone was new to this game at one time or another. Cut the Noobs some slack Guido. :( If this thread saves one person from getting screwed its worth it.

Probably 90%+ of the server population hasn't been new to EQ in over a decade.

Edit: Actually, according to this poll (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12426), it's more like 97%+.

Iandyan
12-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Do the GMs ban the scammers and return plat? Seems like it's a 50/50 chance based on some of the stories in these forums.

Nune
12-17-2013, 01:07 AM

kind of like selling recharge items on a vendor with non-guildees sitting in the room?

Lojik
12-17-2013, 01:36 AM
kind of like selling recharge items on a vendor with non-guildees sitting in the room?

So many people on this forum stuck here
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/NzLzO5H5eyY/maxresdefault.jpg

applesauce25r624
12-17-2013, 04:53 AM
starting to think that lots of these slip-ups are booze-related

lots of alcoholics on this server :D

Swish
12-17-2013, 05:00 AM
If someone tells you that they are in a high level guild and they aren't tagged (you don't see their guild name over their head) and they are asking for something such as platinum or are claiming they will pay you the other part of the platinum on their main character, don't listen to them. EVER!

I could understand this for a 10 dose sow potion, but anything 1k or above... tell them to get a friend to help them transfer the plat and see you afterwards. If you're in EC, chances are you're not in a rush to do something else anyway :)

Clark
12-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Itap
12-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Perhaps a better comparison would have been a starting cloth tunic and a fungi tunic. I know someone out there has fallen for it

Verenity
12-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Someone buy my blue plat I got truckloads of it. I need red plat in return.

RIP Tuneyards