PDA

View Full Version : During the GM meeting you guys tried to test variance....

lite
12-13-2013, 10:10 PM
As I recall it when the GM's met up to discuss the future of red, and to reveal teams. One very beautiful thing occurred. Rogean showed a willingness to go ahead and give Variance a shot. He went to immediately turn it on, and everyone cheered and was very excited, as he was going to turn it on immediately in order to see what it would do for the server.

Unfortunately, he then found out that the way things are presently coded, unlike with blue. In red you can't simply toggle Variance on ....

You were so close to bringing this server to life. I know you've probably heard very little to nothing about me. But I am probably the person who has put forward the most effort to bring forward some fun into this server, by continuing to provide people with a route other than zerg and making norrath your only life.

I've spent plenty of time leading for the winning team and the losing team. Mostly the losing one, and we still manage to sneak in what little fun we can. there isn't much of it .....Take it with a grain of salt when I tell you, you were VERY close to doing the best thing you've ever done for the server. Fortunately, it's not too late.

Two years is a long enough test to show you what very clearly does not promote server growth.....

Go through with your original intuition to give something new a try. You are as right now as you were then to want to try something new.

If for some reason we were all wrong, turn it back off.....I think you'll be pleased with the results.

You turn on variance, we promise to provide a healthy server .......

ONLY ONE QUESTION FOR YOU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_4-rCROcsM

GoldScar
12-13-2013, 10:16 PM
+1

DrRoach
12-13-2013, 10:16 PM
question is can you box enough people to kill a raid mob? i think people are finally smarting up enough that they know better then to follow you anywhere

Sektor
12-13-2013, 10:51 PM
tldr

iiNGloriouS
12-13-2013, 11:10 PM
+1 for the video.

Elderan
12-13-2013, 11:30 PM
You mean the meeting when the server had 210 people online every night and teams99 was announced and the next day the server pop went to 100 a night?

Server is slowly growing again. Why mess with it and risk the same thing happening.

DrNarcisse
12-13-2013, 11:33 PM
You mean the meeting when the server had 210 people online every night and teams99 was announced and the next day the server pop went to 100 a night?

Server is slowly growing again. Why mess with it and risk the same thing happening.

Yeah why would we fix a broken server policy that has kept the server from thriving for 18+ months? Lets just release velious right bro? More content and sweep any problems under the rug for another 18 months so you can get some more chinese farmer time in with the other 60 zombies.

Also don't forget this hilarious gem from Elderan:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130813

Elderan
12-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah why would we fix a broken server policy that has kept the server from thriving for 18+ months? Lets just release velious right bro? More content and sweep any problems under the rug for another 18 months so you can get some more chinese farmer time in with the other 60 zombies.

Also don't forget this hilarious gem from Elderan:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130813

Server would be at 300 pop now if teams was never announced.

Colgate
12-13-2013, 11:52 PM
sure it would be

lite
12-14-2013, 01:25 AM

more like 500, I have great data to prove it. Just like elderan.

lite
12-14-2013, 01:29 AM
year 1/2 of sub 200 population. But that was the day the server was going to the promise land...Elderan felt it. Gm's ruined it all.

Tasslehofp99
12-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Is there really no variance on red99? legit question

Bamz4l
12-14-2013, 01:39 AM
i think people are finally smarting up

it's too bad that you're not one of them, Arzak

Greegon
12-14-2013, 01:42 AM

the shit you say man, its just so dum

Sirken
12-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Is there really no variance on red99? legit question

that is correct. legit answer.

Supreme
12-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Why does there need to be a variance?

Variance is a blue concept not red. Show up and contest raid content instead of trying to introduce blue rules set.

The server population would also be 300+ if all the dead and defeated losers would not have given up so quickly after "being banned" by GMs almost...2 years ago....

quido
12-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Tasslehof, come roll on red bro

Langrisserx
12-14-2013, 04:01 AM
We can sit and med while casting if we click the spellbook. Just have to stand back up in time.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Tasslehofp99
12-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Tasslehof, come roll on red bro

No thanks ill wait for teams99 if anything. Just found it interesting that red has no variance, never knew dat before. Anyone know why blue has variance but red doesn't? Lol

quido
12-14-2013, 04:54 AM
Red also doesn't allow training in VP bro. We got shit all backwards on blue for you Tasslehof.

Retti_
12-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Lold at thread and the couple of posts short enough to read

Tune
12-14-2013, 05:43 AM
red doesn't need variance, it only needs content

variance is good for NO ONE

when velious hits so much content will open up and u will be shooting yourself in the foot. It will stall the growth of smaller guilds

Clark
12-14-2013, 06:12 AM
tldr

Ya, but it is lite. I read some.

Terpuntine
12-14-2013, 07:29 AM

when velious hits so much content will open up and u will be shooting yourself in the foot. It will stall the growth of smaller guilds

raka
12-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Theres like 4 posts in here avout how variance is NOT good.

Can we get a reason please. Besides velious being the savior to this universe and god putting plumbs in my butt socket?

Variance is the only thing that makes sense. Were sick of u guys knowing exact spawn time and being able to batphone 50 people 5 mins before that spawn.. You dont know the exact time, you will have leas time to batphone. That simple you ignaramous'.

Variance will 100% make this server better. I gave thoughtful concise reasons and it was deleted.

You guys fear losing kunark bosses and cant let up your toxic stranglehold on this server.

DrRoach
12-14-2013, 07:53 AM

my god you need this fatass wannabe fitness instructor to spell it out for you. you are all gonna burn in hell

k9quaint
12-14-2013, 08:11 AM
If you want to add any 'feature' to help provide content for the 'lesser' guilds, Variance will not work. The few hardcore players on the server that can afford to poop sock round the clock end up apping to Nihi. All the other players seem to just grind, gank or troll.

The only thing that 'might' work is joint spawn tables, for example if any mobs with a 7 day timer are killed, they trigger a clock for the next 7 days and spawn all the raid mobs with a 7 day timer at the same time.

Encouraging 'poop socking' on a low pop server is griefing... perhaps thats all Lite is capable of?

If nobody else can take down mobs, then why would you need to poopsock? Just log in at non-variance repop day Nihilum raid times and kill whatever is up.

If other people can take down mobs, then why are you denying them the opportunity by not making the zerg guild at least poopsock everything?

SamwiseRed
12-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Lol variance dumb as fuck. You can't get 20+ to contest when spawn times are known but you will be able to with variance?

Really lulz and good troll

DrRoach
12-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Lol variance dumb as fuck. You can't get 20+ to contest when spawn times are known but you will be able to with variance?

The greatest single person to have ever played this box has just spoken. Bow down maggots

DrNarcisse
12-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Samwise, as much as I love you, you have no end game experience in anything. You are about as casual as it comes. Please explain how you contest a single raid mob when the incumbent zerg can bring 60 level 60s? Then what do you do when every single mob spawns one after the other in the same 3 hour spawn window? What in the mother fuck is 20 players going to do? We only have 18+ months of data that proves this.

@Tune, advocating for releasing more content when the system is broken. What a selfish thing to do. You just kick the can down the street, doing nothing to fix the core of the problem. Variance does.

heartbrand
12-14-2013, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't mind variance and think it would be a net positive but holy fuck dude your tenth thread you made on this just sounds like a lot of QQ. Even if variance is inc, which sources say it is, it could be months and months away. If you would spend the same time you do crying on the forums recruiting and helping new guildies you might just be able to compete without variance. Just saying dawg

DrNarcisse
12-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Variance will only mean nilly will start offering ppl dkp to poopsock. Mob spawns, SMS goes out, Nilly arrive with a full raid force end of story. It achieves nothing but gives incentive to hardcore players to get more dkp and as such more pixels.

Are you too stupid to see this?

Having a global repop for raid mobs that share the same respawn timer on the other hand means that Nily will have to choose 1 target at a time at any one point in time, giving lesser guilds a better chance to snipe.

Variance wont do anything to help the smaller guilds.

Stop talking dude. Nihilum on their raid days has probably 4 times the amount of level 60s than any guild on the server has or ever could have. It takes probably a third of their raid for to kill these mobs, what do you think the other 2/3rds of their raid force is going to be doing? So you have 20 level 60s killing the easiest raid mobs while the other 40 are running around defending. Guess how much competition you'll have? a big fat zero because who in their right mind is going to waste another 18+ months dealing with a system that strengthens the zerg? You need server policy that strengthens and gives opportunity to smaller guilds, so that more smaller guilds are built. Less of the "you have to outrecruit Nihilum" to compete mentality, zerging begetting zerging.

From now on, anybody who is braindead cannot give their opinion. I'm sick of having to explain basic strategy to idiots who come up with these horrible ideas.

heartbrand
12-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Cast is right. Despite the rhetoric nihilum does not have the players to sit around in force fourteen hours a day in every zone defending mob windows. It has ten to twelve die hards max. Those guys will be out numbered daily by the other guilds. They won't be able to defend multiple mob windows at the same time. For all this talk of the nilly "bat phone" it's mainly just alerting people of raids that were already planned. It's used to tell people to log on when not enough show up. Many times it was ignored completely such as Saturday night trakanons. Anyone who thinks they will be able to bat phone 50 people for a faydedar at 2pm on a Wednesday beyond the initial "fuck u guys" phase is being dishonest.

heartbrand
12-14-2013, 09:38 AM
So you have a terrible boxer named qazzaz, two enchanters both of whom are awful, ganka another baddie, and then Danes who don't play like cyborella and greatz? Meanwhile red dawn list is cut short 24/7. Mmmmmmk. (Ps red dawn has tons of euros also and we host weekly euro raids which often get 30+ people.)

heartbrand
12-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Also, p.s what would stop euros from looking at variance and going "maybe we can make our own guild and not gear a bunch of amerikuns we don't like since we are providing 95% of the raid force?" Variance would favor fast moving lean and efficient crews. Why should I give pappa nizzar the greaves off vs to sell for plat for his bank if it crew is the majority of the raid? Should I have to buy the loot from this guy I earned? Variance could turn everything on its head.

DrNarcisse
12-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Heartbrand, are you forgetting that Nihi has quite a large number of euros as well as americans that do night shifts?

Qazzaz, Mysig, Utanven, Myself, Ganka, the danes (Kinemarra/ongobongo, Ruban, cyborella, greatz and more) are just a few off the top of my head. We make raids at 4:30 am Eastern Standard Time when the server is dead. Add this to our hardcores who can play around the clock and then you will conclude that your comment was retarded and immediately edit your own post.

Ok, so we see where your loyalties lay. Another selfish Nihilum member advocating for bad server policy. You keep giving us reasons why your guild will be successful using variance, so what exactly is at issue? We've established there can never be competition on a non-variance system and you've established that your guild will be successful in a variance system. So the only difference is one system has you raiding one day for 3 hours once a week, and the other system will force you to "play around the clock", on like 5 to 7 days a week. Hmm, I wonder why you're being a selfish brain dead zombie? Also, lets not pretend you're being forced to camp every single raid mob spawn under variance system - it is entirely your prerogative to do so. You earn your keep around here, boy.

DrNarcisse
12-14-2013, 10:33 AM
I honestly don't think you guys are wearing your thinking caps... variance is a 'Blue server' solution due to overpopulation.

Red doesn't have the same problem and needs a different solution.

No, it's you who has shamed his thinking cap. Variance will not operate the same as it does on Blue99. Firstly, there are clear population differences, blue having on the order of 9x more active players. Second, the mechanics behind variance on Blue99 are surrounded entirely by the FTE mechanic. You can, for all intents and purposes, AFK your entire raid in a spawn window until it pops. There is no pvping trackers or poopsockers. So on a server where you can have 100 players in a guild and only be a 1/10th of the population, variance is still dictated by whoever gets that FTE message. On Red, you have a guild that has 100 roster members with a population of barely 150. You also have a current system that allows the majority of those members to log in once a week for a minimal amount of time. There is no competition coming to save the day. There are no uprisings that are going to occur, there is 18+ months data as proof. The only tactic is to outzerg the zerg under the current system. A 20 person active guild means NOTHING on this server because the only hours of the week that matter are the 3 hours that Nihilum decides the spawn window to be. You talk a big game about being able to keep 100% of the mobs down in variance, well we're going to see if its true, but you sure as shit won't be able to play 3 hours a week anymore and kill all (or the majority) of raid mobs.

bigeasy
12-14-2013, 01:58 PM
this drnarcisse guy,, is that cast? talk about being overly invested in a server he claims not to play on,, you have written enough posts here to write 5 novels

lets just call this what it is,,, you and others will propaganda under multiple forum names for anything you think would hurt nihilum,, short term or long first it was burn it down,, then it was teams,, now it is variance

how about coming up with your own ideas

DrNarcisse
12-14-2013, 02:02 PM
this drnarcisse guy,, is that cast? talk about being overly invested in a server he claims not to play on,, you have written enough posts here to write 5 novels

lets just call this what it is,,, you and others will propaganda under multiple forum names for anything you think would hurt nihilum,, short term or long first it was burn it down,, then it was teams,, now it is variance

how about coming up with your own ideas

I've been arguing variance for almost 2 years now,,,, Please do catch up,,, old nihilum chap,

Littlegyno 10.0
12-14-2013, 02:03 PM
I've been arguing variance for almost 2 years now,,,, Please do catch up,,, old nihilum chap,

lovely really did a number on u bro. gave u traumatic brain injury from the meatballing he gave u.

DrNarcisse
12-14-2013, 02:05 PM
lovely really did a number on u bro. gave u traumatic brain injury from the meatballing he gave u.

says the human beetle spending his children's college education money on everquest characters and items, and then updating the velious wiki by himself

Sick bastard