PDA

View Full Version : Non-Twink Iksar SK

MrBlu
12-12-2013, 11:06 AM
As my first character I decided on an Iksar Shadowknight and been having a blast so far. I just got level 9 and getting to the point where it seems gear is getting to be important. When I group in FoB the majority of other players are twinked out and I want to remain competitive with other players. Can anyone offer some advice on where I should be looking for some decent weapons/shield that I can attain via quest or drops? Right now I found a vendor in cab that was selling weapons and I bought a plain old "Long Sword" and a "Spear" that I'm going to experiment with.

Advice on armour is welcome too, but I am less worried about that as I have managed to purchase a couple pieces of banded mail. I have around 70 plat to work with if that helps too.

Yea, I know the combo of Iksar/SK is a rough one for a first but I'm enjoying it and it just feels right, so no "reroll a troll/ogre!" lol. Also I should add that I didn't get too far on EQ live back in the day, only a few months after Kunark was released probably and just a couple of characters in the 20's( I sucked) but Im glad to be playing again and pretty competent so yea.

Thanks in advance!

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Go to Karnors and stick around for Jarsath drops. You should be able to get a full set which is some really nice gear for an Iksar SK. Your spells should pull enough agro to not "need" a good weapon although it would be good to have something decent (and magic fwiw).

A good cheap 2hs would be something like a Runic Carver or a Firerune Brand and those are mostly just given away.

In terms of the rest of your gear, you can fill it out as you make cash but there is a large amount of no drop stuff available so make use of that.

This is a very tough first time build and I'm genuinely interested in seeing what other people suggest for you. Happy hunting friend!

Tenlaar
12-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Jarsath Scale is a good idea, they rot all the time in KC. http://wiki.project1999.com/Jarsath_Scale_Armor

Save up about 500 plat and get two 5/55 rings as soon as you can. Between those and the jarsath you will be in a pretty good place, as far as non-twinked chars go, for armor.

You might be able to get a free Blackjack while you're there as well. It's just 7/21, but it's magic and better than any plain old vendor weapon.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Forgot as well but you can also consider hanging out near or checking on Kithicor woods. Usually there is the 25ac 50hp sk shield as well as a no drop 2h slash wep that drops and rots there. Would definitely be worth looking into.

DrKvothe
12-12-2013, 01:25 PM
The problem with iksar as a starting race is that it's difficult to access EC when you've saved enough for upgrades. The good news is that it is quite easy to earn money as an iksar. Bone chips, spiderling silk, and spider silk all sell well. When you have 200pp+ worth, that could buy you a sword of skyfire (10/22 1hs). Another 500pp gets you 2x 5/55 rings. A full suit of banded is less than 100pp. These will make you feel like a boss solo or grouped, and can easily last you until you feel comfortable making the trip to KC and Kith for nodrop stuff. But how are you going to get there?

You might see if a druid in LoIO would mind helping you transfer when they're ready to vendor. Be polite and hope you don't get robbed. Basically you'd hand them your loot, they'd port to WC, you'd make a human alt in freeport, and you'd meet in EC. Once you've sold your loot and bought your gear, you could do the same thing.

The process is much simpler if you wanna ditch kunark zones, since you can just get a port and not worry about coming back. The process is also much easier if you're a shm or necro that can gate.

Maybe someone can elaborate on how he could get to EC on his iksar and then make his way back...

Exmo
12-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Maybe someone can elaborate on how he could get to EC on his iksar and then make his way back...

Stay in Kurns until 20. Bank Everything you want to Sell until you're ready to go. Get it out before you leave.

Then go to EC, Sell, Buy gear, etc. get a port to DL, go to KC for Rots, then run to LOIO for continued leveling in your new Armor.

Tenlaar
12-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Spiderling silks are a great way to go as a low level iksar. Spend an afternoon or two in the bonebinder warrens, combined the silks as you get them to make silk thread, get a few backpacks full, and sell the thread for 40p or so a stack when you can get to EC. Enjoy your first 1k until you buy 5/55 rings.

I actually recommend making an iksar necro for it. You can start killing the spiderlings at level 4, catch a ride out with a druid when you can, sell/buy, gate back to FoB to transfer to the SK.

Swish
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Keep an eye on dreadscale armor quest pieces, walkthrough:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Dreadscale_Armor

You'll need to get someone to craft you some banded armor in order to progress to dreadscale but still. There's no reason why you cant get 100pp together by level 20ish and get a port from someone sympathetic to the EC area to buy a suit...and back to DL again. It's not a great journey back to LOIO but its doable :)

khanable
12-12-2013, 08:30 PM
look me up, I frequently visit the motherland and can bring goodies with me

Cillaz
12-13-2013, 04:27 AM
I am often in fob on my druid Zallic (bound there), I'll port you around if you need it, may also have some banded/ring mail for you too. Send me a tell if you see me
Other than that, bone chips from the pit and kurns, and iksar targ shields which sell for 1pp each and our on all sorts including decaying skellies so they are very easy to get.

MrBlu
03-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Hello Hello

Yes it has been quit awhile, but I am still playing this character. Had to lay low for a few months my schedule didn't let me have too much play time. Currently level 33 killing guards in Highkeep. I like the money, but the zone is pretty packed at times and impossible to keep a camp when it gets like that. Thinking of heading to frontier mountains for giants, I miss fear kiting. Thanks for the great advice earlier it was all very helpful, especially with the 5/55 rings. I couldn't make it to Karnor's Castle and died twice trying to get there so I decided to try and gear whatever other way I could.

Here is where I am at for gear right now: http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Bornogo

Hp: 1112
AC: 682
Mana: 804
Stre: 117
Sta: 110
Dex: 95
Agi: 92
Int: 110

I have a few pieces of dreadscale, all I need for greaves are the boots of zorash but I spent some time in OT and couldn't come across it.

I have around 4k saved up right now. I am planning on buying some upgrades soon, especially with my armor. I am wondering though if it would be waste to buy anything too expensive if I will be replacing it with dreadscale anyway. Maybe I am better off saving for an ebon mace? Thanks for any more knowledge you guys throw my way any suggestions as to what I could do is a huge boon to me. I especially like the idea of earning some stuff for myself from rare mobs and the like (Bracers of Scavenging being as example http://wiki.project1999.com/Bracer_of_Scavenging). I have made a few friends who would be down for checking out dungeons too. I spend a lot of time looking through the wiki for things but that doesn't compare to any advice players have from their own experience. Thanks again!!

baalzy
03-13-2014, 06:24 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Atramentous_Shield
+ Ebon mace will last you a long-long time.

Shield + http://wiki.project1999.com/Noctivagant_Blade nearly as good and costs the same as just the mace by itself.

Malone88
03-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Buy Ebon Mace or Noct Blade with 4k...

Also, take Yumy's advice and keep checking Kithicor for General raids and try
to loot one of those Ashenbone Shields -- will cost you nothing as they usually rot.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Ashenbone_Shield

You've done well for yourself!

Deldanko
04-02-2014, 03:42 PM
well it seems to be be doable. ive been on the fence with a iksar sk for a while and im just going to do it. i hope to run into some of you guys out there.

Tsunami21k
04-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Just a tip, someone has been leveling up smiting in cabilis, there's a ton of banded on the vendors near the crafting part of the zone. Not full suits but a few pieces.