PDA

View Full Version : City of Mist - and why it sucks

gooliusboozler
12-10-2013, 03:00 PM
People don't respect boundaries here. They steal from each others' camps CONSTANTLY. Every single time I try to XP in CoM I have an issue with someone blatantly stealing my mobs. Not to mention the constant trains. What's up with this place? Is this scumbag central or something? I know it's the Shaman capital of the world. But I've never had an issue with a Shaman here, not once. Monks though? That's another story...

loramin
12-10-2013, 03:09 PM
On live CoM was one of my absolute favorite zones, but on P99 I've only gone a few times and every time I leave within an hour. The zone is just way too crowded, and I think whenever you have any zone that crowded you're going to get rudeness from other players.

I hate to say it but ... devs, please lower the ZEM of CoM! And then raise the ZEM of some under-used zones so that we can distribute all these wonderful P99 players around more.

Nocsucow
12-10-2013, 03:15 PM
the ZEM is not even that high in CoM its like +10 or some shit

Cookiefist
12-10-2013, 03:17 PM
2nd level duo is where its at.

Splorf22
12-10-2013, 03:18 PM
I tried City of Mist a few times. Its basically a lower version of KC: with no casters, no runners, and outdoors for sow its ezmode. So its a haven for bad players who can't handle SolB, Lower Guk, and so on just like KC is a have for bad players who can't handle Howling Stones or Sebilis.

arsenalpow
12-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Bump the xp in Dalnir, Kaesora, Droga, Nurga, and all of those other unused zones that are barren of people 95% of the time. It would provide more places for people to level and make the usual exp zones less congested. Win/Win for everyone for Ele who then goes into a "not classic" catatonic state.

Freakish
12-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Kaesora is amazing. I level each of my alts there until I can take on Xygoz and get them a fang for later. I usually convince a group to come with me too.
Droga can suck the left one. Every caster a mage, shaman or shadowknight? No thanks. Not worth the down time.

Swish
12-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Been grouped here the last 3-4 days on my rogue and really enjoying it. Don't blame the zone, blame the people in it.

my mobs

I'm guessing the OP is trying to claim arena or something as a solo camp. That's fine (and this happens a lot), but you know he's not going to handle the arena mobs as well as 2 goo houses and the 2 undead spawns in the middle building...and if he is handling them its time to get out and get to Sebilis/KC.

More fun can be had in a group overall... there's always the yeti cave or outside KC in Dreadlands for those that want to be elsewhere that's "easy"...

skipdog
12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I've grouped here a ton on both my chars. Something that makes CoM unique is that many classes can solo many areas of the zone and there are a lot of mobs that aren't clearly defined as being part of any labeled 'camp'. I certainly don't see more trains here... pretty much all the camps are plenty safe from outside trains. There are a lot of safe single pulls and it just simply isn't like most dungeons. It's probably more of an issue of there being so many 'boundaries' between different people or groups that there is a lot of grey area when it comes down to 'whose mobs are whose'. I'll admit it is a bit worse here than other zones, but not by much.

As far as it being a 'haven for bad players who can't handle SolB, Lower Guk', I honestly can't say I've noticed any difference in 'average player quality'. I see no reason to belittle players who have chosen to level there.

arsenalpow
12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
I skip dungeons entirely if I can. I leveled all my characters through SK, guards, bloodgills, nobles, then dungeons 54/55+

Swish
12-10-2013, 03:32 PM
I skip dungeons entirely if I can. I leveled all my characters through SK, guards, bloodgills, nobles, then dungeons 54/55+

A very credible alternative ^^

arsenalpow
12-10-2013, 03:43 PM
And it's mostly because players here are generally bad and/or rude. I could have that CoM xp bonus but then I have to deal with mouth breathers derping around with accidental trains and mob disputes. I find it's generally easier to pick a camp that's out of the way with consistent mobs that I can get in and out of easily. Guards all over the world, yetis, brutes, giants, fish monsters, nobles/bards in HK, birds wearing pants, etc. I'd rather mindlessly grind those camps than ever have to argue the semantics of a CoM camp.

Itap
12-10-2013, 03:47 PM
And it's mostly because players here are generally bad and/or rude. I could have that CoM xp bonus but then I have to deal with mouth breathers derping around with accidental trains and mob disputes. I find it's generally easier to pick a camp that's out of the way with consistent mobs that I can get in and out of easily. Guards all over the world, yetis, brutes, giants, fish monsters, nobles/bards in HK, birds wearing pants, etc. I'd rather mindlessly grind those camps than ever have to argue the semantics of a CoM camp.

Unfortunately, a lot of people play this game to interact with others :p

arsenalpow
12-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, a lot of people play this game to interact with others :p

I interact plenty through guildchat and vent. You can't tell me it's fun arguing with people in dungeons about camps and camps people are still "en route" to and accidental trains, and general asshattery. I just want the xp, I don't need the dbag accoutrements.

Barkingturtle
12-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Befallen-> Najena -> SolA -> Dalnir - > Kaesora -> Kedge - > Chardok.

All dungeons. No people.

Itap
12-10-2013, 03:51 PM
I interact plenty through guildchat and vent. You can't tell me it's fun arguing with people in dungeons about camps and camps people are still "en route" to and accidental trains, and general asshattery. I just want the xp, I don't need the dbag accoutrements.

Hell no it's not fun, but it's the classic experience. I'd rather solo also, just think it's funny that we play an mmo yet rather be self-sufficient.

August
12-10-2013, 03:52 PM
It's Shaman central for sure. I am 2 more book turn-ins from max TrueSpirit faction, and then I plan to only return to get my epic.

I prefer to duo/group than solo and it's so hard to find something in CoM worthwhile. Reality is that if you're not on 2nd floor there's 4 camps and they're each duoable. Combine that with an average of 24 people in zone and it's just not that fun. Unfortunately at the rate I'm getting books looks like I'll be 50 before I can leave.

Cookiefist
12-10-2013, 03:54 PM
2nd level duo is where its at.

Lojik
12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Most of the bad trains here come from people at temple who aggro rooftop, or people hunting on roof who get mobs to fall down below etc. and don't realize it. Most camps can somewhat avoid these trains (arena if you pull to correct side, stables, temple...moat kinda sol.) Rooftop/walkway mobs good exp, can drop some gems (similar to seafuries) and lots of stuff to kill up there.

Langrisserx
12-10-2013, 04:02 PM
if its up and not being killed, its ffa on regular indoor mobs. kill faster or let someone else have some exp, hoarder.

Orruar
12-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I tried City of Mist a few times. Its basically a lower version of KC: with no casters, no runners, and outdoors for sow its ezmode. So its a haven for bad players who can't handle SolB, Lower Guk, and so on just like KC is a have for bad players who can't handle Howling Stones or Sebilis.

You son of a bitch. You're talking about me when you say the bad players love CoM, aren't you?

Splorf22
12-10-2013, 04:33 PM
You son of a bitch. You're talking about me when you say the bad players love CoM, aren't you?

confirmed

Lojik
12-10-2013, 04:34 PM
if its up and not being killed, its ffa on regular indoor mobs. kill faster or let someone else have some exp, hoarder.

CoM is an outdoor zone.

Reguiy
12-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Everquest (p99) is the only MMO where you can still compete for mobs, so compete. Don't get up in a huff when someone steals "your mobs." If you want them, then take them. Simple as that. Go play WOW if you want instances and every mob to yourself with no competition.

jpetrick
12-10-2013, 05:07 PM
I love pulling here. It always me and another monk in competition for pulls. If a mob is up, i'm pulling it. The zone is a cakewalk, mobs are so much easier than I remember them on live. It's fun to grab as many mobs as I can find and see how quickly my group can drop them compared to the other groups there.
Yeah there is a lot of trains, usually by people missing the jump from temple or just getting in over their heads, but this is expected in any high ZEM zone with an exit close by. If you don't like it there are plenty of other zones with great xp where you won't experience these issues.

Liia
12-10-2013, 05:09 PM

+1

gooliusboozler
12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm guessing the OP is trying to claim arena or something as a solo camp.

Nope. I have always grouped there, haven't soloed once. I'll change that "my" to an "our" but it still doesn't change the fact that arena groups will pull from the moat if you aren't watching them, etc, etc, and it goes on for the rest of the zone. I would say there IS clear-cut distinctions in camps. Maybe the courtyard is a bit of a gray area for some people, but in my opinion that could definitely be it's own camp. It has around 15 mobs counting the entrance. With people shouting "camp check" every 2 minutes I can't see how these people think that mobs across the zone, right next to an entire group of people, are somehow up for grabs.

I've had a group come up and steal the moat camp from me and a partner before. They just walked up, started taking our mobs immediately, and said: "You can try to out-DPS us if you want hahahah!" Literally in those exact words. Minus the correct punctuation of course. I mean come on, that's just what pricks do. There has to be some correlation here.

gooliusboozler
12-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Everquest (p99) is the only MMO where you can still compete for mobs, so compete. Don't get up in a huff when someone steals "your mobs." If you want them, then take them. Simple as that. Go play WOW if you want instances and every mob to yourself with no competition.

I'm positive everybody who's ever played EQ disagrees with you :D there are distinguished camps for a reason... There is no "competing" for mobs when people play respectful and by the rules as is expected...

gooliusboozler
12-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Wrong. Do you let people walk all over your camp while you're medding up? I don't think so

Reguiy
12-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Wrong. Do you let people walk all over your camp while you're medding up? I don't think so

If you're medding while mobs in your camp are up, then you either messed up or overextended the range of what you believe your camp should be. If someone comes up and takes mobs that I'm letting sit there, then that's my fault.

Spitty
12-10-2013, 06:36 PM
What if you're breaking the camp and setting up a stable spawn rate?

If some little turdbucket came into my camp and started tagging mobs that I'm spacing out, you better believe the shit-train's a-comin'.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130723144750/trailerpark/images/d/d4/0bf26c4a-eaec-4448-b685-5f66600359ef.jpg

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-10-2013, 06:40 PM

If some little turdbucket came into my camp and started tagging mobs that I'm spacing out, you better believe the shit-train's a-comin'.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130723144750/trailerpark/images/d/d4/0bf26c4a-eaec-4448-b685-5f66600359ef.jpg

You shitspergs start stealing merbs you'd better start boarding up this house for a cat 5 shitticane.

This thread is now about TPB.

Spitty
12-10-2013, 06:44 PM
The shit-hawks were circling by about post ten, Ricky.

I saw it coming, Ricky. I have...I have shit-sense. Like you wouldn't BELIEVE. I can tell a shitapocalypse from a mile away and let me tell YOU, this is a shitageddon of the AGES. We're in the shit now...oh yes, yes, we're in the shit now. The shit-hawks are swoopin' and they're dragging everyone back to the nest...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/29772898.jpg

Skittlez
12-10-2013, 07:00 PM
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/SebastianMehenka/ShitHawk1.gif

Nodd
12-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Befallen-> Najena -> SolA -> Dalnir - > Kaesora -> Kedge - > Chardok.

All dungeons. No people.

Like.

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-10-2013, 07:53 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/43734782.jpg

SCB
12-10-2013, 08:13 PM
And it's mostly because players here are generally bad and/or rude. I could have that CoM xp bonus but then I have to deal with mouth breathers derping around with accidental trains and mob disputes. I'd rather mindlessly grind those camps than ever have to argue the semantics of a CoM camp.

You're sounding a lot like the people you're attempting to criticize.

Bill Tetley
12-10-2013, 08:22 PM
hmm trains... and no mobs... interesting

Spitty
12-10-2013, 08:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_train_(folklore)

radditsu
12-10-2013, 08:47 PM
2nd level solo is where its at.

gooliusboozler
12-11-2013, 12:15 PM
If you're medding while mobs in your camp are up, then you either messed up or overextended the range of what you believe your camp should be. If someone comes up and takes mobs that I'm letting sit there, then that's my fault.

Not even close. Can you solo or duo a camp of 15+ mobs all at once? Hahahaha no damn way

gooliusboozler
12-11-2013, 12:16 PM
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/SebastianMehenka/ShitHawk1.gif

Oh my fuck?!

gooliusboozler
12-11-2013, 12:17 PM
hmm trains... and no mobs... interesting

Trains come from upstairs usually

gooliusboozler
12-11-2013, 12:18 PM

YUP

webrunner5
12-11-2013, 12:26 PM
CoM has a Zem of 85. Not much to write home to mother about. But there are a ton of mobs there that don't run or cast. That is why it is so popular. But not a easy zone to get to or to have to sell because you are overweight. Not many Druids seem to come in there either to leave if you want. :(

Iliilliill
12-11-2013, 12:33 PM
just wait for velk's

Swish
12-11-2013, 01:46 PM
just wait for velk's

mhm...remember the crowds in there very well.

Utmost
12-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm looking for a gif of Obi Wan talking about Mos Eisley

Spitty
12-11-2013, 02:59 PM
mhm...remember the crowds in there very well.

Whomever falls off the top floor first deserves a title.

gooliusboozler
12-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Regardless of my distaste for this zone I still recommend EVERY Shaman XPs here. It's just too easy to finish off that epic faction, constant pages and the occasional Lord book drops. And yes, it's practically in the middle of nowhere. Even porting there requires a couple long runs. If I wasn't a Shaman I would have definitely leveled elsewhere

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-11-2013, 10:36 PM
during live, on my server, CoM was underutilized, mostly because of yeah, it's a pain to travel there and then not get a group. But I would venture out there with some friends.

It is a great zone, I think. Tricky design. Can get dangerous fast when you are at that level. The raids also in that zone were fun, imo.

But as an exp farming zone? Yuck. A bore.

p99 really needs to mix Kunark up a bit. Put a multiplier in warsliks woods, be crazy, think outside the bun, etc.

But of course, now everyone just wants Velious. Too bad. Could have had some fun mixing up Kunark a bit.

Velious in 2015! Revamp Kunark!

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Whomever falls off the top floor first deserves a title.

Oh plz yes. raid reset to go fetch original faller and the lemmings who were just following? check. classic fail = a title, imho.

Spitty
12-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Oh plz yes. raid reset to go fetch original faller and the lemmings who were just following? check. classic fail = a title, imho.

Two reasons why this is the best thing ever -

If you're down below because the top ledge is overcamped, it's so freaking hilariously satisfying to see a body go tumbling down through your camp.

The fall is long enough that you have just enough time to type something in OOC before you hit the ground.

Tewaz
12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Enjoy it now. Wait until bards figure out you can AoE kite there.

Whoops.

Swish
12-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Two reasons why this is the best thing ever -

If you're down below because the top ledge is overcamped, it's so freaking hilariously satisfying to see a body go tumbling down through your camp.

The fall is long enough that you have just enough time to type something in OOC before you hit the ground.

I fell down the other night on my rogue... a forced jump as the monk FD'd over the edge with DMF on.

Luckily with some safe fall points I survived with 3% health, managed to limp from the arena to the zoneline... only to be killed by the 2 mobs at the zone in. Easier CR, but I felt robbed :p

Messianic
12-12-2013, 04:50 PM
All I hear is "This damn place is too much like classic everquest and that pisses me off"

Visual
12-12-2013, 08:33 PM
CoM drama was always my favorite. Unfortunately I only level titty baby style these days and have lost my hunger for stealing 0.0001% exp LB cons from other peoples camps.

radditsu
12-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Protip: bind on top of the building near the invis stairs. If you mess up you can gate, hop down and zone before the train gets downstairs.

Reguiy
12-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Still confused as to why people cry when someone else takes "your" mobs that you leave up. This is Everquest. If you want to farm zones with no competition, then go play WOW

BlkCamel
12-12-2013, 11:00 PM
City of Mist rocks! That is all!