PDA

View Full Version : Trakanons Teeth Latency issues?

Rheon
12-09-2013, 02:49 AM
I noticed there is a bug thread about this in the bugs section of the forum..can anyone give any insight into why this is happening? every other zone is perfect but as soon as i zone into TT my ping goes up to 6k+MS??

Buriedpast
12-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Welcome to Project 1999. Land of "if you're not merikan, fuck off"

Not once has a dev answered to it.

Laugher
12-09-2013, 04:02 AM
I believe this is an ongoing issue in the bugs forum, one min and I'll dig up the post

*edit* well you made that easy haha, I guess the only thing I could suggest is Nilgbog's post from in the bugs thread. I had this problem as well probably in July which was one of the last times I spent an extensive amount of time in Traks Teeth (I live in teh US/just outside Chicago) was very laggy zoning in and out and running around the zone; zoning in particular from ej to TT took very long compared to the zoning before and after Traks (as in 30 seconds for me to zone elsewhere but 5 minutes to zone in or out of TT). The latency in zone was also an issue.

This.

Someone who has this issue:

-Download Wireshark.
-Before you zone into Trakanon, start packet collecting.
-As soon as desync happens, stop capture.
-Save in wireshark as whatever.pcap

It is important to note the time that it happens so we can investigate.

You can email it to testing.p99@gmail.com

Rheon
12-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Im in AUS but ive heard this problem affects others not in my region also. Ive tried everything i can think of but i just cant zone into TT without my latency jumping through the roof and being DC'd.

My bro who also plays here with me on Red99 also experiences the same issue and he is on a totally different connection from me. To test this we both zoned in together and within 10 secs our latency had skyrocketed and we could not cast spells or zone out without being DC'd from the client.

Morbo the Annihilator
12-09-2013, 07:07 AM
common and unfixable issue.

everyone once in a while, some crackpot comes up with some solution, possibly involving hoodoo, which miraculously fixed their TT, but other people replicating that solution is ineffective.

i haven't been to seb in about a year, since my last few lagtreks through TT got me killed, resulting in an impossible CR. i had to give my details to a yank in order to get my body ressed and out of there.

i think a reasonable temporary fix is to implement a zonein to seb in the NW corner of Skyfire, since the TT issue doesn't seem to be going away.

Nocsucow
12-09-2013, 07:11 AM
They have a better chance fixing monk epic graphics than this problem

loramin
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Welcome to Project 1999. Land of "if you're not merikan, fuck off"

Not once has a dev answered to it.

I'm a merikan (although only barely; I'm a Californian) and I have issues with Trak too.

Spitty
12-09-2013, 02:02 PM
common and unfixable issue.

everyone once in a while, some crackpot comes up with some solution, possibly involving hoodoo, which miraculously fixed their TT, but other people replicating that solution is ineffective.

It's an issue with its own variance.

My crackpot solution worked for me - I've had tells in-game from multiple people that also got it to work using the framerate fix. So, "un-fixable" is completely inaccurate.

It's probably easier to just blame the developers rather than exploring your own solutions, though.

EDIT: For the OP, not the blathering naysayer - check the "Maximum Framerate" setting in your video options while in-game. If this is set to 60 or above, bring that down significantly. Mine's currently set at 29. Log out, log back in, verify the setting change was saved and see if TT still desyncs for you.

Instantly cleared up TT for me - that's been my bind spot for half a year, and you can bet your ass if I was still getting desynced I wouldn't put up with that every time I died.

Reiker000
12-09-2013, 03:05 PM
How exactly does changing max framerate settings fix a latency issue? The problem isn't graphics lag, it's that you lose connection with the server.

Anyways, yeah I live in NY and the TT desync happens to me all the time (although I haven't been in that zone in months). Surprised it hasn't been fixed yet, should be a pretty big priority. Afaik this has existed for years.

Spitty
12-09-2013, 03:09 PM
I realize that - I experienced the shit-fest that is TT for fully eight months before trying that fix, and it worked. I haven't had a *single* problem moving through TT, which I do anytime I gate, for a long time.

I've had desync issues where my client is clearly running at a higher framerate than the game world (i.e. I'll cast and my animation completes in 2 seconds for a 4 second spell) so there could be a disconnect there.

If you're asking me why exactly it works, you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm just saying that I had the fucking issue, what I did as a fix fucking worked, and to fucking try it because maybe it'll just fucking work for you too.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-09-2013, 04:57 PM
I realize that - I experienced the shit-fest that is TT for fully eight months before trying that fix, and it worked. I haven't had a *single* problem moving through TT, which I do anytime I gate, for a long time.

I've had desync issues where my client is clearly running at a higher framerate than the game world (i.e. I'll cast and my animation completes in 2 seconds for a 4 second spell) so there could be a disconnect there.

If you're asking me why exactly it works, you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm just saying that I had the fucking issue, what I did as a fix fucking worked, and to fucking try it because maybe it'll just fucking work for you too.

Lol

I...I don't even

SirAlvarex
12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
If anyone who is having problems has knowledge of the technical stuffz, follow the Nilbog quote. The reason you desync is a loss of packets. For some reason, something you are sending / being sent in TT is causing issues. This can be an overflow of packets, or maybe a mis-signed packet that gets filtered out at a router. Or...one of a hundred reasons. Seeing these packets and why they get lost can help the team fix the problem tremendously.

I just moved to California, but haven't played enough to go to TT yet. If I am having problems, I'll post up a guide on how to gather your packets, and send only the important ones to Nilbog. If I don't have problems...then... :(

THE FOLLOWING IS A GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF HOW SERVER-CLIENT INTERACTION CAN LEAD TO CAPPING FRAMERATE IMPROVING LAG
As for why setting max-framerates can fix lag issues. Games work in a manner where you send packets every X "seconds". Typically this is synced to the framerate of your game. Especially old games where the idea of "running too fast" wasn't even conceivable. By limiting your framerate to 60FPS, you are only sending 'x * 60 packets per second', where X is the normal # of packets needed to run the game.

Why is this useful? The server is set up similar to the client. You can only process X packets per second. For the server, this is a much more consistent amount. So sending 200 packets per second vs 60 packets per second means you are more in-sync with what the server is expecting. E.G., if you are sending 200 packets per second, every milimeter you move is sent to the server. That means when the server processes the information, by the time it gets to the "tic" you aren't in the position on your client that the server thinks you are. You then "lag back" some because the server thinks you are in a different position.

TL;DR
This might not be exactly how it works, but this is how gaming in the late 90's worked in general. In general the idea of capping your framerate makes sure you send the right information in the right order to the server. Clients in the 90's/early 00's were stupid, so I'm not surprised if packet overflow is an issue with the framerates of today.

Spitty
12-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Thank you for that.

It appears this isn't limited to just EMU clients -

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/framerate-speed-to-fast.2563/

Interesting to know the Framerate slider is possibly a percentage (of what?) and not an integer.

RiffDaemon
12-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm just saying that I had the fucking issue, what I did as a fix fucking worked, and to fucking try it because maybe it'll just fucking work for you too.

Brick Top translation: "Listen, you fucking fringe, if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not"

Spitty
12-09-2013, 07:11 PM
You stop me again whilst I'm syncing and I'll cut your fucking framerate off.

Buriedpast
12-09-2013, 07:56 PM
For the lols, I played with frame rates

I want my 2 hours of de syncing back. Moron.

Yapas
12-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Never had any Issue with TT (I am from France)

Spitty
12-09-2013, 08:37 PM
For the lols, I played with frame rates

I want my 2 hours of de syncing back. Moron.

You took two hours to find out that fix didn't work for you and you're calling someone else a moron?

No wonder you can't fix your own problems - you're a fucking toad in people clothing.