PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Hotbars 2-4 not keymapping properly

frammelpie
12-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Hello,

A while back I created my main character with a key setup that I've always used in EQ to practice skills. My movement keys are WASD. I also wanted to cause Sense Heading to trigger every time I hit one of these keys. Because there is only one 'alternative' key binding, the only way I was able to set it up to trigger with all four movement keys was to put the Sense Heading skill on its own hotbar 4 times, and assign each of the WASD keys to these hotbar buttons, one for each skill.

So, in other words... according to my key maps, the category 'Movement' has in the primary column:
Move forward = W
Move backward = S
Move right = D
Move left = A

I then switched the category to 'Hotbar 2' and set the following, also in the primary column:
Hot button 1 = W
Hot button 2 = S
Hot button 3 = A
Hot button 4 = D

I then switched to Hotbar 2 and placed four copies of the 'Sense Heading' skill on buttons 1, 2, 3 and 4, which used to cause my WSAD keys to trigger both the movement key AND the skill key at the same time, as they now share the same trigger keypress. This worked as expected.

I then stopped playing for a while, and there has since been an update. Now that I'm back, I tried to set up the same option for a new monk. As the key bindings are account-wide (at least, when I created the monk, the keys were still bound this way in the key mappings screen), I put the Sense Heading skill into hotbar 2 slots 1-4. But now, pressing these keys does nothing but movement. I've tried it for hotbars 3 and 4 as well, with the same problem.

I tested this method using hotbar 1 (to make sure I wasn't simply using something that I thought were the hotbars but were not) by putting the 'find' option in hotbar 1 button 10, and changing that button's map to W, so that it shared it with my forward movement. Sure enough, it worked. I moved forward and also got the window stating that nothing is easily found in the zone.

Not only that, but after running into this issue on my monk, I switched back to my main to see how I had set it up originally, thinking I was just missing something. What I find is that there are NO skills on any of my other hotbars for that character, only hotbar 1! Yet, pressing my movement keys on that character still triggers the Sense Heading skill. ?! I DID have the skills in hotbar 2 originally.

I'm reporting that because it would seem that it's a mapping issue in general, as I can't get mapped keys to trigger for hotbuttons 2-4. The only thing I can think of that may have caused it to work this way on my original character is that somehow it 'grandfathered' in the skill trigger on hotbar 2 for that character since I'd set it up that way prior to when I updated the game files and it's pulling the association to the skill from some unknown source.

Is this a known issue? I wasn't able to find anything related in the (admittedly weak) search that I did before posting. Thanks for looking.

Bamz4l
12-06-2013, 12:04 AM
sounds like an odd issue.

i think that there was an update to the interface files a little while ago, that removed bars 2,3,4. I added the bars back by myself by editing the interface file.

not sure what other people are doing. Perhaps only some people got stuck with 1 bar? As it is not a common complaint

frammelpie
12-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Hmm odd, yeah I still have them in the settings and on the screen, and I can manually use them as part of the UI, it's just that it doesn't map keys to them like it used to. Maybe I've got a quasi-functional setup now because I didn't update properly? Then again it was a pretty simple matter of copying the files from the site into the required folder and overwriting, so I would be embarrassed if I managed to get that wrong.