PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: NPC Summon Isssue

Rallyd
11-21-2013, 05:02 PM
NPC's cannot summon player pets (npc or summoned) without Line of Sight. I'll leave it up to your imagination to think about how exploitative this is.

nilbog
11-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Silverwing says 'You will not evade me Zebobab'

You'll need to explain further.

Rallyd
12-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I am told that certain players are soloing summon mobs (arch duke in seb) by placing a pet behind the coffin in the room (los issue on other side of coffin), Silverwing would summon a pet because there is no such thing as Line of Sight in outdoor zones. IE dragon aoe's go through walls in outdoor zones but not indoor.

they place the pet behind the coffin, guard it, and stand further away than the pet, then root the arch duke, he will try to summon/attack/cast at the nearest enemy which would be the pet, but cannot do so because of line of sight, and his summon will not work.

thus a wizard or anyone can solo a summon mob as long as they can produce a pet and manage the root/dps

Rallyd
12-19-2013, 05:12 PM
That sounds like an exploit. Maybe you should fraps it so the people abusing it get banned.

it sure is an exploit, that's why it'd be cool to fix it right?

heartbrand
12-19-2013, 06:37 PM
pretty sure he pointed that out because exploits aren't supposed to be posted in this forum

nilbog
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
I tested this again with Tolapumj in sebilis.

Cleared all the npcs around Trak area except Tola.
Damaged Tola significantly.
Summoned a pet.
Went past bridge area, and summoned my pet to me.
Tola summoned the pet to him, without LOS.

I tried to use the coffin area, but couldn't produce the same results.

Any further input on how I can achieve this? Do you believe it is related to root specifically?

Tecmos Deception
01-23-2014, 02:39 PM
I know that sub-51 caster can be killed with line-of-sight shenanigans like this without them ever casting, cause when they're rooted they will try to attack the nearest target even if it is out of LoS while another target standing slightly farther away but in line of sight will be totally ignored.

Not sure if that is helpful or not. I've never really paid attention to if stuff will summon a pet from out of LoS.

nilbog
01-26-2014, 11:18 AM
can be killed with line-of-sight shenanigans

Interested in all shenanigans.

Treats
01-27-2014, 06:22 AM
I encountered a similar issue to this a long time ago, not sure if it was ever fixed.

As Tecmos said an NPC will not alter targets if one PC is standing around a corner and another PC is closer but in Line of Sight.

NPC should first check Line of Sight when rooted
If it cannot see closest PC it should keep checking until it has a PC in Line of Sight

The other issue I found (this was back in 2010) was that if a PC target was out of Line of Sight the NPC would not be able to cast any spells. An NPC that could heal himself when he got low would not if his target PC was out of Line of Sight.

Fight Shaman NPC
Root/DoT Shaman NPC at 40%
Run around corner
Shaman NPC will not attempt to cast ANY spells (Detrimental or Beneficial) while his PC target is out of Line of Sight

mostbitter
01-27-2014, 06:30 AM
run around on the red server and try to catch kama/ledbedder doing tranix solo i imagine youll get all the evidence you need

Tecmos Deception
01-27-2014, 06:49 AM
I encountered a similar issue to this a long time ago, not sure if it was ever fixed.

As Tecmos said an NPC will not alter targets if one PC is standing around a corner and another PC is closer but in Line of Sight.

NPC should first check Line of Sight when rooted
If it cannot see closest PC it should keep checking until it has a PC in Line of Sight

The other issue I found (this was back in 2010) was that if a PC target was out of Line of Sight the NPC would not be able to cast any spells. An NPC that could heal himself when he got low would not if his target PC was out of Line of Sight.

Fight Shaman NPC
Root/DoT Shaman NPC at 40%
Run around corner
Shaman NPC will not attempt to cast ANY spells (Detrimental or Beneficial) while his PC target is out of Line of Sight

Not sure what you mean by a long time ago exactly, but I first noticed this probably 6-9 months ago when trying to PL a shaman in HS north using my chanter. We realized he could dot up the casters while standing out in the open without getting attacked back, so long as 1) I was on the mob's aggro list too, 2) the mob was rooted, 3) I was closer to the mob than he was, and 4) I was out of line of sight. I think I've mentioned it in the bug forums a couple of times, but I kind of figured it was a pretty minor issue - doesn't seem like a lot of potential to exploit this given how specific of a quirk it is.

Kind of building on the rest that treats said though, NPCs who can cast beneficial spells never will if they are engaged but never in melee range of their attackers. Root+rot goblins at chief+bodguard? The healer goblins will never get to heal. Maybe classic though, I just thought this odd.