PDA

View Full Version : Erudite Necro Deity?

sheepherder
11-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Creating an erud necro. just wondering if any special deities grant access to special quests or items, thanks :)

pharmakos
11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
erudite necros only get one choice of deity, Cazic-Thule

p.s. iksar necros are better =p

Kender
11-14-2013, 06:14 PM
erudite necros can go kill paineel guards at level 14+ for good xp and fantastic money (selling the weapons back to paineel merchants = 8pp per kill)

p.s. can stay there till post 40

Swish
11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
p.s. iksar necros are better =p

Worth the XP penalty :p

pharmakos
11-14-2013, 09:04 PM
i know my sig says that my necro is an Erudite, but looking back i wish i'd made him an Iksar =p

Autotune
11-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Erudite necromancers get a shoulder item that no other necromancer can get, it's an equivalent-ish item to the SKY quest shoulders that all necromancers can get.

Only thing I can think of off hand that is actually worth it.

Uteunayr
11-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Erudite necromancers get a shoulder item that no other necromancer can get, it's an equivalent-ish item to the SKY quest shoulders that all necromancers can get.

Only thing I can think of off hand that is actually worth it.

They get this, and they also get to use Tome of Miragul, which, relatively speaking, has a very high stat distribution relative to other items.

The issue I always look at is that it is *super* easy to hit past the 200 int cap as an Erudite, and so that extra stat distribution is diminished by the mana return of more int.

i know my sig says that my necro is an Erudite, but looking back i wish i'd made him an Iksar =p

Right there with you. Made a Dark Elf Necro, got him to 55, did Charasis basement to 60 the entire time saying "I wish I was an Iksar, I wish I was an Iksar, I wish I was an Iksar..."

Worth the XP penalty :p

I hit 60, and then made an Iksar, and leveled incredibly fast. Sure, 22% more xp penalty, but I have at least 30% greater efficiency at killing stuff. It is stupid just how big a difference it is. I was killing so many more mobs, the XP penalty was laughable, as it was made up for XP efficiency.

Autotune
11-15-2013, 09:10 PM
They get this, and they also get to use Tome of Miragul, which, relatively speaking, has a very high stat distribution relative to other items.

The issue I always look at is that it is *super* easy to hit past the 200 int cap as an Erudite, and so that extra stat distribution is diminished by the mana return of more int.

It is, but at the same time, it allows you to stack stats in other areas. It also allows you to dump your starting stats into stam or str (for those necros that like to walk softly and carry phat loot sticks).

Won't matter much though when people get in Velious, that's when Iksar's will really shine.

Uteunayr
11-15-2013, 09:48 PM
It is, but at the same time, it allows you to stack stats in other areas. It also allows you to dump your starting stats into stam or str (for those necros that like to walk softly and carry phat loot sticks).

Won't matter much though when people get in Velious, that's when Iksar's will really shine.

I'll agree it lets you stack stats in other areas at creation, more stamina and so on, but there isn't really that much variation to shift your gearing by much without some substantial opportunity costs that could be made up with a better race selection. All in all, in the end, it's just better to have an Iksar with 200 int and only 75 stamina (assuming a 25 int/5 sta breakdown, since it can be hard to get to 200 on an Iksar while still maximizing HP gear) with regen, than it is to be an Erudite with 200 int and 95 stamina (40 more HP) and no regen.

It gets hard to get rid of int after a while. I am stuck at 208 and I can't get rid of that 8 in any reasonable way, and I am a Dark Elf (on Uteu, Sesser is an Iksar).

Autotune
11-17-2013, 12:38 AM
I'll agree it lets you stack stats in other areas at creation, more stamina and so on, but there isn't really that much variation to shift your gearing by much without some substantial opportunity costs that could be made up with a better race selection. All in all, in the end, it's just better to have an Iksar with 200 int and only 75 stamina (assuming a 25 int/5 sta breakdown, since it can be hard to get to 200 on an Iksar while still maximizing HP gear) with regen, than it is to be an Erudite with 200 int and 95 stamina (40 more HP) and no regen.

It gets hard to get rid of int after a while. I am stuck at 208 and I can't get rid of that 8 in any reasonable way, and I am a Dark Elf (on Uteu, Sesser is an Iksar).

I didn't find it very hard to drop int on my erudite tbh. There are plenty of hp/mana items that can replace int items. However, I also had access to my epic and raid gear so having a higher max HP/Mana compared to iksars was pretty easy.

I'm not advocating any race over another and if I were to start up again on p99 as a necromancer I wouldn't hesitate to pick an iksar as the race. However, I'm just stating that, at this time on p99, there is still some positives to be found playing the other races that start with a naturally higher intelligence stat.