PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: PvP Related Spell Resistances

Koota
07-25-2010, 05:32 AM
First off, let me say that this came to my attention after the upcoming PvP event that Mixxit has conjured up. It prompted me to do some more dueling in my free time, and I have noticed one thing in particular.

Spell resistances are not at all what they used to be as I recall on Rallos Zek during classic.

I got my butt handed to me by a shaman. A good one, but a few things struck me as wrong.

Typically spells have a % adjustment modifier on spells, even classic era spells. (Or so I've been told, and noticed.) Certain spells have no modifier, which means their spells have a higher chance of resist. (Blind and Fear spells come to mind immediately, but I know there are more). Others have resist adjustments that encourage them to land more than not (Druid line DOT, Whirl till you Hurl spells come to mind here.)

As a character, level 50, with 150 Magic Resist on classic, it would be fair to say that if someone tried to use a blind spell on me (Level 39 or below spell) that a majority of the time (75%+) I would be resisting this spell, if not even more. I remember wearing full diamond jewelry having over 150-175 Fire and Cold resists and flat out resisting Starfires and Ice Comets easily 30-50% of the time. However, that is not the case here, what so ever. In a couple duels with this particular shaman, he was landing those blinds 75% of the time.

Are these resists untouched and like they were in classic? Could there be a possibility that the resists in PvP are not correct? This is by no means a rant, but it just struck me as not at all how I remembered.

quido
07-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Yeah I honestly think I got lucky landing half the blinds ( 1 for 2 out of two duels ) I cast. I've dueled other people with comparable MR and had trouble landing anything at all.

I didn't think that the level of a spell affected its chance to land. I thought that at level 50 my low-level DoTs had the same chance of landing as E-Bolt. I might be wrong though. Let's put it to a test sometime for the sake of knowledge.

Koota
07-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah, we can do that for sure. You know, you may be absolutely right in regards to the level of the spell, but I wouldn't mind testing some other things in regards to it's resistance levels.