PDA

View Full Version : New Paladin Questions

Wrathis
11-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Hello,

I recently decided to start playing a Paladin and I was wondering what gear I should be shooting for. I currently have Sword of the Morning and Clay Guardian Shield, basically a whole set of small bronze armor, plat fire rings, enameled black chestplate and thats about it. No real earrings at the moment either.

My question is where do I go from here, like what gear/stats are most important.

I should be tanking for a group/trio on the regular with the occasional soloing if I can.

I only have a small amount of disposable funds and I'm currently only level 11 so farming will be difficult.

Any tips will be appreciated whether it be about gear or just general Paladin tips.

Thanks!

Jingleson
11-10-2013, 04:04 AM
You're rocking with that gear. How did you get it at that level? That's gotta be around 3k worth, which is huge for a level 11.

Some items to try and get, in the 500-1000pp range.

Silvery girdle
Hero Bracer
Baton of Faith

Other than that, save your money for some Diamondine Earrings and a Hooded Black Cloak. But you've got exactly what you need to go the distance right now.

kaev
11-10-2013, 04:12 AM
AGI: 75+ (but the "+" don't matter)
STR: high enough to avoid encumbrance (do not sacrifice HP or AC for extra STR)
STA: high as you can get it

Once AGI is 75 and STR is enough to carry your gear and some loot, you want HP & AC. Enameled Black Chestplate is nice lowbie piece, replace the bronze as and when you can with pieces that give more AC and/or HP. Skull-shaped Barbute, when you can afford it, is an example of a readily available piece of decent tanking gear.

HP is your bread, AC is your butter. Interrupting spellcasters is dessert.

susvain0362
11-10-2013, 04:24 AM
Stam and str is what you want. Stam gives more hp so you can tank better. What race are you? So we can help with items.

But you seem to be doing rather fine, 3str or 3sta earrings is all you can really get unless you spend a hefy amount, a couple thousand.

If you wanna tank well, get deepwater pieces for helm/arm/x2bracer/belt/glove/boots. They all go for 200-500pp a piece. They are amazing for your AC and makes you a beastly tank.
For cheap but good leg slot get some kylong greaves. They have maybe 6str and alot of ac. For cloak you wont anythibg much more than 3 to a stat.

Dont focus on farming. Just level up. Paladins make god damn amazing dungeon zone tanks. They are durable and fun to play. For tanking, mostly just use flash of light/blind for aggro. Once you are on the mobs aggro list it will never run/flee when you cast blind on it. So you pull with a bow, after you shoot it once cast 2-3 blinds on it and then you will almost NEVER lose aggro. Taunt only works when the mob is not attacking you. I prefer using blind over your stuns for aggro even in the 30s range. My pally is only 32.

The best piece of advice i can give you is to almost ALWAYS start your own groups. People are always salivating for an invite to a dungeon group you just have to send a tell. Pick a dungeon and pick a camp there you feel will be best for exp/loot. Then start the group, youre already a tank, so you just need a heals and cc basically. Be RELENTLESS with your tells to people. For example;

Say youre level 22. And want to camp the mistmoore pond, go there and make sure its open. Then, it is almost always very easy to fill up the group if you send alot of tells. First you can do a /who and see if anyone in the zone wants to join, but then just do this -

/who all cleric 20 28
This will give a list of every clericn online between levels 22-28. Send a tell to EVERY single one. Usually you will find atleast one that is interested. Now you got a tank and a healer, alot of places thats the only core you need and you can fill the rest with dps or support. Just continue to /who (x class) 20 30. The two levels you put at the end will work for any of the levels you want in the game, anytime. So you adjust for what levels you want when you get higher...etc...

Thats the best and most fun way to level. The most fun i have on my paladin is being the reliable center piece that makes a dungeon/exp group go round.

Get a baton of faith for dps. Its a 30/40 2hb that sells for 200pp because its monk/pally only. Its one of the best droppable dps items for a pally, especially for its price. It will last for a very long time. After that you want haste item. Farm a fbss once you get in your 40s. Haste makes your aggro better and your dmg, big time

And again, just use that flash of light for tanking always man. Just get on the aggro list and itll never run like its feared. After you spam it 3 times really quick youll almost never lose aggro. You can be such a great tank for a group.its so much more fun than tanking as a warrior.

Soloing can be a bit of a challenge and its not very fast most of the time. I wouldnt try to do it very much because you need very good gear to do it with any efficiency.

Do zones like, unrest 10-20, mistmoore 20-38ish. Pond then graveyard then castle entrance. All three are amazing camps for exp, some of the very best at those levels. You can do solb 30-50 too. Roaming groups, window, royals, bats n bugs. All amazing camps. Upper guk is amazing and so much exp/fun too. You can do it 18-24ish. The scryer, squier and warden camps are amazing. Spiders too for your late teens. City of mist for 40-50s. These are some of the best options for fun and exp in the game.

The most fun i have on the pally is dungeon crawling in a good group being a toughdaddy tank.

susvain0362
11-10-2013, 04:25 AM
Nooooo!!! I was hoping i was the first response.

phobus
11-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Keep in mind that the amount of HP you get for every point of Stamina scales with your level, so while it's very important at high levels, you can all but ignore it for now.

Estu
11-10-2013, 10:03 AM
AC is also not super-important, especially at your level, because not only does AC not make a huge difference in how much damage you take, but there are soft caps that scale with your level, so at the moment you are almost certainly AC softcapped.

Basically, what will matter the most at low levels is HP gear and STR gear / good weapons. Not that DPS is your role, it's just that it's something that will have some effect on your play. At high levels, HP/STA gear is what you need to shoot for, as well as resists, and to a lesser extent AC and STR.

Jingleson
11-10-2013, 11:20 AM
AC is also not super-important, especially at your level, because not only does AC not make a huge difference in how much damage you take, but there are soft caps that scale with your level, so at the moment you are almost certainly AC softcapped.

Basically, what will matter the most at low levels is HP gear and STR gear / good weapons. Not that DPS is your role, it's just that it's something that will have some effect on your play. At high levels, HP/STA gear is what you need to shoot for, as well as resists, and to a lesser extent AC and STR.

I'd say he's got the HP/weapon covered with SotM, Clay Guardian and 55hp rings. As far as AC goes, Bronze will probably carry him all the way into his 40s, he can save his money on better things, like a FBSS.

He definitely should get a Baton of Faith by level 20 though. If you're not tanking, this should always be in your hand.

Wrathis
11-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd say he's got the HP/weapon covered with SotM, Clay Guardian and 55hp rings. As far as AC goes, Bronze will probably carry him all the way into his 40s, he can save his money on better things, like a FBSS.

He definitely should get a Baton of Faith by level 20 though. If you're not tanking, this should always be in your hand.

I was just about to ask about this for the BoF.

Would BoF be a better pick than A Mithril Two-Handed Sword? I was in EC and some random guy was giving new people gifts. Turns out he handed me 4k so I'm working off that. I've got 3k left so I'm feeling out what I need for the future :)

Also, deepwater helm or SSB? I was thinking Deepwater for soloing later maybe and SSB for tanking?

Thanks for all the responses and tips guys its helping me get a better grasp on what I need.

Durothil Skyreaver
11-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I was just about to ask about this for the BoF.

Would BoF be a better pick than A Mithril Two-Handed Sword? I was in EC and some random guy was giving new people gifts. Turns out he handed me 4k so I'm working off that. I've got 3k left so I'm feeling out what I need for the future :)

Also, deepwater helm or SSB? I was thinking Deepwater for soloing later maybe and SSB for tanking?

Thanks for all the responses and tips guys its helping me get a better grasp on what I need.

SSB is your best choice, you will want to have both eventually but the DW you can wait on. Baton of Faith is a good choice for a 2hander. Could also go Arbitors Combine Great sword. Very close dps wise (30/40 BoF and 30/42 ACG) but it also has 15 wis and some mana.

Wrathis
11-10-2013, 01:46 PM
I pulled the trigger on SSB, Kylong Greaves, and a BoF. I think I'm going to look for a Silvery Girdle now if anyone has one for sale hit me up!