PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter vs Shaman

Gratal
07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I just recently found out about P99, but played EQ long time ago. And I was wanting to start with my wife. Can anyone tell me which class would be more welcome based on server population? Shaman or Enchanter? I always wanted to play both, but never did on live. Just trying to get a feel for the state of the player base, because I already (think I) know the game from before.

Virtuosos
07-24-2010, 02:26 PM
play what you want mate. i personally think we have more enchanters than shamans, but it doesnt matter cause we have some crappy enchanters :p play what you want and enjoy it.

rioisk
07-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I think shamans are lacking on the server but at the same time enchanters are ridiculously OP with current state of charm. They may change.

That being said, shamans with torpor in kunark/velious are really good.

Your class selection may also depend on what your wife plays.

Skope
07-24-2010, 02:54 PM
The problem is that both of those classes have problems with overpopulation, even if it seems that there aren't enough shamans the class itself is one that doesn't stack too well with other shamans (other than raiding in kunark/velious, where you really needed at least 2 shamans per raid, but even then consider the makeup of the raid and the shaman is at the bottom of the list). Enchanter is unfortunately in the same boat as the shaman, it's hard for 2 enchanters to keep themselves busy in a group without stepping on each others' toes and one of them finding himself with too much mana and not enough to do.

Shaman is a fantastic class, but it's not a class for the lazy or uninvolved. Unfortunately it's also a class that I can see having problems when kunark/velious come around due to overpopulation.

rioisk
07-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Let's be fair, the server is overpopulated at the moment with every raid target permacamped poopsocked and every high end dungeon camped for what it seems like around the clock.

In these conditions it really doesn't matter what you play. There are pros and cons to every class in terms of usefulness/overplayed status. In all reality I'd be more concerned with the people you play with.