PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter pre charm leveling...

Caridry
11-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I hope it gets better, it feels painfully slow and I am only 4. Not to sound like a crybaby =P

Estu
11-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Your pet is super-powerful and can wreck everything, especially with a rusty two-handed sword or similar weapon. You eat a 50% EXP penalty but still level fast. You can also make use of Suffocating Sphere, which is a very mana-efficient DoT. Also, you can always head to Blackburrow and get some Gnoll Fangs; they'll get you to 12 stupidly fast.

Caridry
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
so at this level dont worry about debuffs etc? just toss a 2 hander to the pet, and dot, profit? Is there a better way to get the animation to establish aggro?

Estu
11-07-2013, 01:58 PM
so at this level dont worry about debuffs etc? just toss a 2 hander to the pet, and dot, profit? Is there a better way to get the animation to establish aggro?

Definitely don't debuff. To let your pet get aggro, just get close enough to the monster that it aggroes you, then back away (i.e. don't cast anything, don't hit it) - you should be able to sit pretty much immediately. If the monster is not hostile, hit it once with your melee weapon, back up, let your pet get a couple of hits, and you should be good to sit. You can throw in a Suffocating Sphere about halfway through the battle depending on how long the battle's been going.

Caridry
11-07-2013, 02:27 PM
is the level 12 charm really where things start to take off? Also, I looked under guides, and I must be retarded because I can not find a specific guide on how to charm level (how to charm and what type of mobs to pick, what to buff them with etc.) I like loraens guides, which are informative, but i cant seem to find that specific information in them (unless i am just not looking hard enough).

Thanks again for the great answers.

myxomatosii
11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
is the level 12 charm really where things start to take off? Also, I looked under guides, and I must be retarded because I can not find a specific guide on how to charm level (how to charm and what type of mobs to pick, what to buff them with etc.) I like loraens guides, which are informative, but i cant seem to find that specific information in them (unless i am just not looking hard enough).

Thanks again for the great answers.

I wrote this guide for untwinked or naked level 12 enchanters without jboots and little mana. I'll likely throw it on the wiki soon.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127216

Caridry
11-07-2013, 02:59 PM
I wrote this guide for untwinked or naked level 12 enchanters without jboots and little mana. I'll likely throw it on the wiki soon.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127216

This is fantastic! I appreciate the hard work!

Estu
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
is the level 12 charm really where things start to take off?

It's certainly faster than leveling pre-12, yeah. Because you can take down two dark blues for not a ton of mana and get full experience for both.

Crede
11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I would recommend going to Steamfont until level 12. Endless amount of mobs. I'd start with kobold camps just north of druid rings. Also it isn't that hard to out dps your pet at those levels, but definitely use your animation like others were saying.

Malone88
11-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Until 12, just find some groups and start breaking out those Mezz and Stun spells!
Get a head start on your CC career...

Faydark: Orc Hill, outside Crushbone, or inside Crushbone
East Commonlands: Orc 1 or Orc 2 Camps

Either of these groups camps will get you to 12.

Once you hit 12, then you can start charming.
The Minos in Steamfont (head to the left as you zone in from lesser faydark) are PERFECT for working on
your charm skills. 4 minos, single pullable. Kill two at a time. Zone out is right there if you run into
trouble. They drop mino axes and gems which you can sell at windmills.

Once you hit 16, things get even better with Haste and Breeze.

Good luck!

pasi
11-07-2013, 05:33 PM
1) Give handjobs at the quarry to get 50pp or so.
2) Go to Highkeep and buy your pet spells until 24.
3) Go to Blackburrow, summon your pet, and let the pet farm a couple hundred Gnoll Fangs.
4) Turn in said Gnoll Fangs.
5) Rejoice

whippetofspades
11-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Do gnoll fangs to 12, then do the 4-spawn minotaurs near the Lfay zone in SF. All single pulls, all very close in level so they kill each other at about the same speed. Also right next to a zone line in case things get hairy. They seem to have a low MR - few resists. It's by far the easiest spot to practice charm killing and very fast xp too. Only problem is it gets significantly harder at other places when you hit 16 and they stop giving xp.

Samoht Farstrider
11-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Good thread! I was about to search for one.

I've been soloing orcs in GFay after doing the bard mail quest. I can take out blues on orc hill with my animation and not lose xp unless I get an add. I just pull with Sphere and melee with the pet. Recast sphere about at about 40% and get all the xp. Nice xp on some of the orcs, up to 4% per.

Tried a white and got owned, but I pulled with Sphere instead of letting it aggro pet. Gonna try that tonight and see how it goes.

Splorf22
11-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Basically what has been said: an enchanter from 1-11 is a gimp mage. But mages are really, really strong at those levels, so a gimp mage still isn't bad.

In my experience charm doesn't really start to take off until L20-30 or so. Remember you're basically casting exactly the same spells (root, chaotic feedback, tash, charm) at L23 as you are at L12, but your mana pool is way larger and your meditate skill is higher.

Caridry
11-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I have heard enchanters can level fairly quickly once you learn to do well with the tools given, obviously not bard fast but I have heard still pretty quickly?

Malone88
11-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Do gnoll fangs to 12, then do the 4-spawn minotaurs near the Lfay zone in SF. All single pulls, all very close in level so they kill each other at about the same speed. Also right next to a zone line in case things get hairy. They seem to have a low MR - few resists. It's by far the easiest spot to practice charm killing and very fast xp too. Only problem is it gets significantly harder at other places when you hit 16 and they stop giving xp.
Once Steamfont minos turn light blue/green, you can move to LFay Nybright Sisters camp. Another tailor-made camp for charming and you'll make good cash there off the bronze weapon drops. Biggest prob is that sisters are camped heavily.

Mino + Sister camps will get you to a point where you are very confident in your
charm skills. Breeze at 16 will make your charming even easier.

Samoht Farstrider
11-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Which spells has the least amount of aggro so pet can taunt off my pull?

Vermicelli
11-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Taper Enchantment is a good bet for low threat, and it only take 5 mana to cast.

Estu
11-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Which spells has the least amount of aggro so pet can taunt off my pull?

Getting pet to take aggro off your pull is not easy at low levels. It's really best to just body aggro the monster or hit it once with your melee weapon. Otherwise you're going to spend a while trying to back away/sit while the monster still is going after you.

Fregar
11-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Animation can get you to 30+, it's slower xp and more boring than charm but its also less chance to die, especially if untwinked.

At early level you can tank the mobs and let the anim hit from behind, then when they start hitting too hard you have to rely on root.

Lvl 34 anim is bad, 39 one starts to be good again, and I don't know about the others.

Samoht Farstrider
11-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Getting pet to take aggro off your pull is not easy at low levels. It's really best to just body aggro the monster or hit it once with your melee weapon. Otherwise you're going to spend a while trying to back away/sit while the monster still is going after you.

It's hard to break camps this way since the pet will aggro close to the camp if I try to use vicinity aggro. I want to pull the mob away from the others so not to aggro them after casting lull on them.

Estu
11-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Animation can get you to 30+, it's slower xp and more boring than charm but its also less chance to die, especially if untwinked.

At early level you can tank the mobs and let the anim hit from behind, then when they start hitting too hard you have to rely on root.

Lvl 34 anim is bad, 39 one starts to be good again, and I don't know about the others.

I've found charming to be pretty reliable starting at level 12, completely untwinked (just cloth armor, a stein of moggok I quested myself, and some silver jewelry I crafted myself). Even with only 98 CHA I've found early charm breaks pretty rare, and when they happen they can be dealt with. It helps to stick to outdoor zones.

falkun
11-13-2013, 09:22 AM
The L4 mez (http://wiki.project1999.org/Mesmerize) seems to have an above-average chance to mem-blur. When I was under L12, I'd body aggro a mob and have pet beat it down to ~30-40%, then I'd mez (which would memblur more often than not) and then a DoT that out-did my pet's damage and I'd get full exp for 20 more mana than the cost of the DoT. I'd med that and more back while my pet beat the next mob down to <35%. Full exp, time to med back the mana used, and minimal mana expended. It was just a matter of balancing mob lvl vs my pet's level so my pet didn't get torn to shreds.