PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Hide and Sneak and Monster /considers

TartarSauce
11-06-2013, 12:23 AM
So, I am a 16 rogue.

I was hiding and sneaking in gukbottom on my quest for a mask. I got to the hallway before the ass/sup room where the ritualist spawns on the ledge with 2 other wizards.

I conned the 2 wizards (ritualist was not up). Both mobs /con'd indifferent. As I was walking by, one of them decided to nuke me. Neither hide/sneak was broken.

After getting my corpse, I headed back out. He was still indifferent, but i asked in ooc, people said it a bug and to camp. I camped out, then back in. re-hid/sneak, checked him again.

still indifferent. so i toughed it up and walked by, boom. killed me again.

please look into it when possible.

Ele
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Were you standing in their frontal 180 degree line of sight arc when you conned them while sneaking? They will con indifferent if you are in their rear arc if you have sneak applied.

bulbousaur
11-06-2013, 04:07 PM
So in this case, would the best test to be to drop sneak (keep hide up and don't move), then /con the mob? That would let you know if they see through sneak even if you are conning them from behind, would it not?

That is, if you are out of agro range.

Ele
11-06-2013, 04:10 PM
So in this case, would the best test to be to drop sneak (keep hide up and don't move), then /con the mob? That would let you know if they see through hide -s-n-e-a-k- even if you are conning them from behind, would it not?

Yes, that will let you know if they see through hide. Fixed the quote above -- nothing sees through sneak, when successfully applied and in the rear arc of the mob.

TartarSauce
11-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Were you standing in their frontal 180 degree line of sight arc when you conned them while sneaking? They will con indifferent if you are in their rear arc if you have sneak applied.

I was in front of the mob, directly in their LOS. they have their backs to the wall.

TartarSauce
11-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Yes, that will let you know if they see through hide. Fixed the quote above -- nothing sees through sneak, when successfully applied and in the rear arc of the mob.

I did not try removing sneak and having hide only. I think in either situation, it is most definitely a bug that should be fixed. Stopping to drop sneak for every mob con would make dungeon crawling as a rogue take wayy too long

Vindor
03-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Same thing happend to me 3 times in WW yesterday and today. And i know i was invis because i dont see my character when i am having no see invis gear. Also i checked and they were coning indifferently. There is a bug there i think.

Nightblade
03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
So in this case, would the best test to be to drop sneak (keep hide up and don't move), then /con the mob? That would let you know if they see through sneak even if you are conning them from behind, would it not?

You can't hide/sneak, move, and drop sneak without it dropping hide as well. Hide is very much like casting a spell - if you move, it 'interrupts' hide and drops you out of invis. A successful sneak allows you to move around with it up until sneak is dropped again - it'll check your location versus the location of where you were when you initiated hide, see that you're not in the same spot, and pop you out of invis.

Also, Vindor, you will always disappear on your screen when you hit hide, regardless of whether or not you hid successfully. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check to see if you've successfully 'hidden from view' before doing anything.

Regardless, that does seem odd. If you're indifferent to a mob in the frontal 180 cone, you will ALWAYS be indifferent to the mob regardless of proximity. The only factor that I can see is there was some mob around a corner, by a wall, or even through the floor that managed to Z-axis 'assist' because it could see you, resulting in double-nuking action.

Vindor
03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
You can't hide/sneak, move, and drop sneak without it dropping hide as well. Hide is very much like casting a spell - if you move, it 'interrupts' hide and drops you out of invis. A successful sneak allows you to move around with it up until sneak is dropped again - it'll check your location versus the location of where you were when you initiated hide, see that you're not in the same spot, and pop you out of invis.

Also, Vindor, you will always disappear on your screen when you hit hide, regardless of whether or not you hid successfully. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check to see if you've successfully 'hidden from view' before doing anything.

Regardless, that does seem odd. If you're indifferent to a mob in the frontal 180 cone, you will ALWAYS be indifferent to the mob regardless of proximity. The only factor that I can see is there was some mob around a corner, by a wall, or even through the floor that managed to Z-axis 'assist' because it could see you, resulting in double-nuking action.

Happend to me again in sola today

http://s30.postimg.org/naj177xhd/hidebug.jpg

But i guess those kind of bug arent exactly top priority cough.

quido
03-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Are you sure your hide was successful?

All casters in SolA see invis, but none of the melees should.

Vindor
03-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Are you sure your hide was successful?

All casters in SolA see invis, but none of the melees should.

cant you see the screenshot ?

quido
03-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I can, but I guess I'm not experienced enough on a rogue so I'm not sure.

Don't you get the same message even if your hide fails?

Vindor
03-04-2014, 01:27 PM
I can, but I guess I'm not experienced enough on a rogue so I'm not sure.

Don't you get the same message even if your hide fails?

nope its something as you have failed to hide yourself from view, been a long time since i got one im not sure. Btw it was the cinder goblin right at the zone in, no other goblin could have seen me invis or not :D

Shiftin
03-04-2014, 01:34 PM
it's not a bug at all. stuff that sees invis sees hide, like the sol-a goblins. if you have sneak on and you're behind a 180 degree front cone, nothing sees you no matter what.

Vindor
03-04-2014, 03:27 PM
As far as i know the cinder goblin, which are melee, dont see invis. And we all know how sneak work thank you.

Haynar
03-04-2014, 03:33 PM
I was exploring this code last night. If you turn off sneak, it looks like the code drops hide. Will be making several adjustments to sneak/hide in the near future.

H

4WOFURY
03-05-2014, 05:37 AM
Haynar - If you turn of sneak, it should drop hide if you have moved. Seems as if that part is working as intended.

Haynar
03-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Haynar - If you turn of sneak, it should drop hide if you have moved. Seems as if that part is working as intended.
Not what I am saying. If you turn off sneak, the server turns off hide it looks like. Even if ur still

Vega
03-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Not what I am saying. If you turn off sneak, the server turns off hide it looks like. Even if ur still

Sure that's not classic? I didn't play much of a rog, but that seems vaguely familiar.

Nubben
03-10-2014, 11:18 AM
It should work like this:

-If you sneak and hide, then move, then drop only sneak, hide should drop as well. "You have moved and are no longer hidden!"
-If you sneak and hide, remain stationary, then drop only sneak, hide should remain applied.

Haynar
03-10-2014, 11:39 AM
It should work like this:

-If you sneak and hide, then move, then drop only sneak, hide should drop as well. "You have moved and are no longer hidden!"
-If you sneak and hide, remain stationary, then drop only sneak, hide should remain applied.
Yep. Thanks. Thats what I figured out too. It was not storing location u originally hid. And it was always dropping hide on sneak drop, even if you had not moved. Its fixed pending update to work like it should.

H

Vindor
03-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Just want to add something i recently discovered. I think there is a bug where the game show you as hidden while in fact you are not.

Once sneak/hidden you trade with a NPC, breaking your invis, but the hide button stay engaged and your character still appear as hidden for you, with your name still between ( ).

Same thing after looting a corpse while sneak/hidden

Tubben
03-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Just want to add something i recently discovered. I think there is a bug where the game show you as hidden while in fact you are not.

Once sneak/hidden you trade with a NPC, breaking your invis, but the hide button stay engaged and your character still appear as hidden for you, with your name still between ( ).

Same thing after looting a corpse while sneak/hidden

Yes, that got me killed several times now :)

evilkorn
03-17-2014, 10:10 PM
I reported wonky parenthesis behavior a while back with invis.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122569

Haynar
03-18-2014, 12:40 AM
I have worked on a lot of sneak hide functionality. Its up on beta. Trading was one of things I changed too.

H

Vindor
03-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Thank you sir

evilkorn
03-25-2014, 04:31 PM
I reported wonky parenthesis behavior a while back with invis.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122569

Thanks for the fixes Haynar. I tested out what I had reported last time and have some new findings.

How to replicate:

Invis
Sneak / Hide
Attack mob
>What the server does:
>Strips invis removes parentheses around name for a split second
>Breaks hide
But the parentheses are still up until you take damage. I was testing this in WC and when I sat down to take a hit after engaging the mob the parentheses poofed like they should have when I first swung.

Haynar
03-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Ok. I think i kniw whats up.

H

Haynar
03-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Nope. Was totally off on this one. I think it will be fixed next patch though. Found the correct packet value to send.

The way it should work with changes, attacking should drop hide, but not sneak.

Taking damage, will drop sneak and hide.

My tests worked. But not sure if I did it like you. I wasn't able to reproduce it exactly as you described.

H