PDA

View Full Version : New player here, need advice.

Grzzly
07-22-2010, 07:00 AM
I don't know if I'll be met with hostility or if the community likes new EverQuest players but I just started here and I really wanted to get into EverQuest. I just cannot figure anything out. I made my character and I picked FreePort and it just kinda drops me off and I have no idea what to do. Quests? Kill mobs? What? I'm defiantly not stupid but if you guys tell me what to do I'll learn very quickly. I tried to find quests because that's the first thing that comes to mind but I can't find any. Any advice or help would be fantastic. Thanks in advance :)

Tseng
07-22-2010, 07:05 AM
kill stuff, loot stuff, sell stuff, rinse, repeat

azeth
07-22-2010, 07:16 AM
@ the OP:

Honestly that above comment is exactly what you should be doing. If there's one "mistake" EQ newer players make it's aimless wandering/exploring. If you want to get lost in the lore, by all means. However, if you're a gamer and you just wanna play and compete in EQ do not stop killing things. Everything you do should revolve around getting exp, getting into groups, setting groups up, and did i mention exp?

Hit 50, then get your gear. In the meantime you'll accumulate some plat and just browse the EC market for some upgrades.

Did i mention don't stop exping?

Grzzly
07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
@ the OP:

Honestly that above comment is exactly what you should be doing. If there's one "mistake" EQ newer players make it's aimless wandering/exploring. If you want to get lost in the lore, by all means. However, if you're a gamer and you just wanna play and compete in EQ do not stop killing things. Everything you do should revolve around getting exp, getting into groups, setting groups up, and did i mention exp?

Hit 50, then get your gear. In the meantime you'll accumulate some plat and just browse the EC market for some upgrades.

Did i mention don't stop exping?

So I should just grind mobs? No quests?

Kani
07-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Pretty much what Tseng said. Be sure to go around and, "Hail," any NPCs you see, to possibly be offered quests. You didn't mention what class you chose. There are some good low level quests , from what I recall, in Freeport for melee types such as Orc Banded Vest or Militia Tunic.
Unlike later MMOs, classic Everquest doesn't hold your hand and show you the way to go. You really have to be proactive if you want to find quests and get anywhere. That being said, there are some great resources linked in the Library section of the forums, that you may want to check out.
BTW, Welcome to Everquest and P99 :)

azeth
07-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Depending on where you fight you'll inevitably run into quests. Fighting in Crushbone (lvls 9ish-16/17) for example will net you Crushbone Belts which can be turned into to a gentleman in Kaladim for exp. Things like that are really the only quests worth doing, where the mobs you're grinding provide you with the means to do the quest and then you just turn in when your done for the night or bags are full whatever.

Messianic
07-22-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm guessing that you may have played WoW, which has a far more developed quest for exp system. EQ wasn't as polished in this respect because it set the initial standard for the genre (coming out in 1999 and all).

A vast majority of your exp throughout the course of your play time will be through killing stuff. There are some cash-crop exp quests, such as Crushbone Belts, Crushbone pads, Gnoll Teeth from BlackBurrow, Bone Chips turned in at the Kaladim Paladin (say that three times fast) guild...but even those quests have soft-caps once you pass a certain level.

Most people around here are pretty nice, although I was told to shutup last night because I was quoting monty python: the holy grail in Gfay /ooc chat :(

Aarone
07-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Most people around here are pretty nice, although I was told to shutup last night because I was quoting monty python: the holy grail in Gfay /ooc chat :(

SHAMEFUL!! ;)

Messianic
07-22-2010, 08:35 AM
SHAMEFUL!! ;)

Srsly

Verterdegete
07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
So, whats the End-Game ?

mmiles8
07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
So, whats the End-Game ?

type
/afk
sit in sol b past the fire giants

Edit:

Oops.. Almost forgot step 3

Start fraps to record the train.

Straif
07-22-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't know if I'll be met with hostility or if the community likes new EverQuest players but I just started here and I really wanted to get into EverQuest. I just cannot figure anything out. I made my character and I picked FreePort and it just kinda drops me off and I have no idea what to do. Quests? Kill mobs? What? I'm defiantly not stupid but if you guys tell me what to do I'll learn very quickly. I tried to find quests because that's the first thing that comes to mind but I can't find any. Any advice or help would be fantastic. Thanks in advance :)

I hate to say it but this is what today's MMO's have produced. People expect hostility and expect a learning curve.

Welcome to EQ Grzzly. Its the game so nice some of us are playing it twice. The only advice I can give is to ask questions... if people don't like that, fuck them and their hostility.

Mady
07-22-2010, 09:15 AM
There are a lot skeletons out side freeport. Collect bone chips from them and you can sell them in the EC tunnel for up to 5 plat per stack.

Is a good way to make some coin early off.

Overcast
07-22-2010, 09:28 AM
I hate to say it but this is what today's MMO's have produced. People expect hostility and expect a learning curve.

Welcome to EQ Grzzly. Its the game so nice some of us are playing it twice. The only advice I can give is to ask questions... if people don't like that, fuck them and their hostility.

Indeed. To all points.

Most everyone's decently friendly, don't expect a mass flame fest of 'lolz nub' when you ask a question. It happens - from some, but not most.

Quests... you can go to Allakhazam (zam.com or whatever now) and check out the city zone you are in - Freeport West, East, North - and you can dig around for quests.

Like said above - most are just turn ins for XP and coin, perhaps some spells. You should get the hang of it soon enough. But most all of the EQ quests kinda work 'backwards' from WoW's perspective... Instead of needing the quest first, you may find odd objects off of mobs - take a minute to google it or check on Allakhazam to see what it's purpose is. You won't need to 'be on a quest' to collect turn in items - mostly. Some more involved quests will require a portion to be done before another portion.

If you are in Freeport - I know Orc Scalps and Orc mining picks can be turned in for XP. There's more no doubt. One of the big ways of finding quests in classic EQ was hearing about them from others.

Verterdegete
07-22-2010, 09:28 AM
type
/afk
sit in sol b past the fire giants

Edit:

Oops.. Almost forgot step 3

Start fraps to record the train.

Hmm, i see... Not much of an endgame.

Overcast
07-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Hmm, i see... Not much of an endgame.

Kunark really expanded on the 'end game'. There will be a number more targets and most of the guilds farming the end game targets that exist now, will be ready to move on to the Kunark bosses.

It mostly is... Gather as many people as possible, in the best gear possible - hope no one's an idiot and try to take down the boss mob.

It's not as forgiving as other MMO's - one cleric could not possibly keep the main tank alive during the bigger fights. In Kael - TOV (Velious) and other spots you might need 5+ clerics in a 'chain heal' to keep the main tank alive. I guess even Kunark needs some chain healing too, with the gear available to us and such at this point.

The first 'chain' heal I ever recall doing was the dragon in Skyfire Mountains for the.. Cleric? Epic weapon.

If DPS starts going all out at the start of a fight - such as it common in WoW, DPS will be on a corpse run. The Main Tank needs *solid* agro, you likely can take one or two hits if you are in cloth from a boss mob that's you appropriate level range anyway.

A wipe in end game here, doesn't mean rez at the soul rezzer and run back - in some places, like Chardok expect to spend 1000's of PP on corpse summons or possibly even hours to get bodies back.

Messianic
07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
It's not as forgiving as other MMO's

QFT

This game is incredibly unforgiving compared to other MMO's. That's half the challenge - you know dying isn't trivial. Your bind point matters, adds matter. In WoW they didn't. I half lazy in WoW because CC was so irrelevant sometimes. In EQ, CC is life/death, and a few adds can smash your group badly.

That's part of the fun though - it's not easy. It's not hard if you're following the right rules, but it's not easy.

Verterdegete
07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
So, its not late for us to start?

I came here few months ago, and i wanted to start playing the game but i had trouble with my Internet connection (Wireless) so i couldn't play properly. Now im on broadband and i'm eager to start. I only need few words of encouragment that everything is gonna be all right :).

Humerox
07-22-2010, 10:49 AM
So, its not late for us to start?

I came here few months ago, and i wanted to start playing the game but i had trouble with my Internet connection (Wireless) so i couldn't play properly. Now im on broadband and i'm eager to start. I only need few words of encouragment that everything is gonna be all right :).

Everything is gonna be all right. Sky should be ready soon, which is gonna take some pressure out the hi-end. And Kunark should open it wide up. I will say however, that if these things don't change the end-game as it currently stands, well...let's just hope it turns out the way I think it will.

Malrubius
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
More for the OP if you have never played EQ before...

Welcome aboard. The only rule is, have fun.

Turn in your guild note. Then explore; Hail the the various NPCs and follow the quest lines of any you find; consider NPCs from a distance before you get close to them (guards in other cities for example)...

Get yourself lost.
Do quests just because they are there.
Take a boat ride.
Learn your way around all the major cities.
Give 2 gold coins to the table dancers in Neriak 3rd gate!
Collect bonechips from decaying skeletons and sell stacks of them (/auction) in the EC tunnel.
Buy yourself something nice with the proceeds.

Basically, try to avoid the (kill/loot/repeat) grind and you'll probably have a lot more fun. Sure, you'll do that from time to time to level, but if that's all that you do, then you'll turn into a bitter level 50 with nothing to do, since its all you know how to do.

Anyway, most people here would love to be in your shoes and be exploring Norrath for the first time. You're one of the lucky ones!

Sorkin
07-22-2010, 11:06 AM
It's too late to start on live, but not here. And I disagree with the earlier posters that say just grind grind grind. To me, that's not very fun. It gets you to level 50 quickly, but it's not like you'll be the first to level 50 and "win" the race to 50.

Some of the quests can be kind of fun and get you a nice item. You can check out http://everquest.allakhazam.com for quests. About half of the quests even in Freeport won't actually be there, as they've been added sometime between 1999 and now, so therefore aren't on this server, but it's a place to start.

Exploring can be fun too, most of these guys have been playing for 10 years, so exploring isn't nearly so fun for them, but back in the day, I had a great time just running around and seeing everything.

The earlier posters are right in that part of the draw is that it's not all handed to you on a silver platter and you can't get to max level in a few days of soloing like WoW. And many classes can't solo effectively so you have to work together to progress. You get dropped in the middle of a city with a newbie weapon and part of the game is figuring out what to do, both by trying it out and interacting with other folks.

guineapig
07-22-2010, 11:10 AM
This link:

http://www.thesilversandbox.net/p1999/main.php

will help you a lot.

Many things were changed from 1999 to current day EQ and in many cases Allakhazam will not have the correct info as far as spell levels and items per zone go.

Also the classic maps will be extremely useful to you.

Allakhazam still has useful info though. It's good policy to use that and the old archived sites in tandem.

mgellan
07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Quests... you can go to Allakhazam (zam.com or whatever now) and check out the city zone you are in - Freeport West, East, North - and you can dig around for quests.

The site is at:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/

Look at quests by zone but remember we're playing a version of the game that dates to about 2000, so when you see a quest have a look at the comments and see how early they start, if it goes back to before 2004 the quest is probably in the game... things like newbie armor quests and easy mode stuff are definitely not...

Regards,
Mg

Verterdegete
07-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Btw, why are there so many corpses lying around ?

PhelanKA
07-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Btw, why are there so many corpses lying around ?

I think it's because people are either:

A) Too lazy to clean their entire corpse up.

B) Expecting clerics to go around offering rezzes to their level 6 toon.

C) Chinese spies.

Nedala
07-22-2010, 09:06 PM

try to find out what are the really useful quests for your class and do em to get some nice gear.

jeffasaurus
07-23-2010, 03:35 AM
I just created my first character, a dwarf cleric named Jeffasaurus and have never really played everquest before either so this post was incredibly informative! Thank you for all the great links

RKromwell
07-23-2010, 04:05 AM
I will just say it now, there is no end game.

This game will kick you in the nuts and laugh at you while it is making out with your mother.

It is honestly, the most fun I have ever had with a game. The best part about it is the people around you.

Verterdegete
07-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Hey, guys. I've got a quick question. How do i take quests?

For example NPC says : ''Hey Vendis, would you please [fetch] something for me?''

How do i accept it?

Overcast
07-23-2010, 04:00 PM
hehe... that can vary.

you need to 'find' the right wording, but it will be in context.

There's kind of a 'generic' for many things "what about".

So try, /say what about fetch

or perhaps /say I will fetch

Sometimes it will want more /say I will fetch something for you

Messianic
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM

For example NPC says : ''Hey Vendis, would you please [fetch] something for me?''

How do i accept it?

Usually just asking the NPC a relevant question using the bracketed word works.

fwaits
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM

How do i accept it?

In Say - fetch what?

Use normal language with the keyword in your response and that generally works.

Verterdegete
07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks people.

Bubbles
07-23-2010, 10:29 PM
or for the true classic experience, forget to remap auto attack and attack the lvl 50 quest-giving npc and get insta-gibbed.

Flicka
07-23-2010, 10:41 PM
More for the OP if you have never played EQ before...

Welcome aboard. The only rule is, have fun.

Turn in your guild note. Then explore; Hail the the various NPCs and follow the quest lines of any you find; consider NPCs from a distance before you get close to them (guards in other cities for example)...

Get yourself lost.
Do quests just because they are there.
Take a boat ride.
Learn your way around all the major cities.
Give 2 gold coins to the table dancers in Neriak 3rd gate!
Collect bonechips from decaying skeletons and sell stacks of them (/auction) in the EC tunnel.
Buy yourself something nice with the proceeds.

Basically, try to avoid the (kill/loot/repeat) grind and you'll probably have a lot more fun. Sure, you'll do that from time to time to level, but if that's all that you do, then you'll turn into a bitter level 50 with nothing to do, since its all you know how to do.

Anyway, most people here would love to be in your shoes and be exploring Norrath for the first time. You're one of the lucky ones!THIS

Malinrol
07-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Aye, welcome to the game Grzzly. Good to have another new guy besides me. lol

What i have picked up is that really at the beginning is go outside the gates and kill stuff for a few levels. Save the bonechips as those sell pretty decent and you can start to gear your character.

After that though, your going to be heading out to area's like EC and Nro (East Commons and Northern Desert of Ro) and kill stuff there. But, depending on your class, that can come to a halt.

Many melee classes such as the Shadowknight, Warrior, and Paladin will have trouble soloing very quickly. This is when /who lfg all comes in handy. Finding a group for these classes is key and will allow you get some decent gear depending on your dungeon, and a lot of xp. This stands for some casters also.

Death in this game is very ungorgiving. Once you get past lvl 5 (?) you start to get death penalties. This isn't the WoW ones where you sit around for 10 minutes and everything is good. You can lose hours of grinding and xp because you weren't careful or you got trained on and died. So all that work and xp, just went bye-bye and now you have to get it back.

But it's stuff like that that make this game fun. When you die, you get upset and want to throw your comp out the window. When you finally get that piece of armor or level, your happy as can be. When you die countless times and lose your lvl (It happens...), you shake your fist in the air and curse the Norrathian Gods. But that is EQ, and it is those things that make you play the game.

Hope this helps any new players and i look forward to killing some stuff with yah!

Feel free to send me a tell in game if yah need anything.

Malinrol Bloodgorger - 27sk <Lost Souls>

Verterdegete
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey guys. I have a question. Is compass bugged or smthng. It turns around even if i walk straight or stand still sometimes.

tinidas
08-02-2010, 02:06 PM
It won't be steady until skill 200. Bind a hotkey to your movement arrows in options pane, quickest way to raise skill

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
It won't be steady until skill 200. Bind a hotkey to your movement arrows in options pane, quickest way to raise skill

Better yet, press "alt-d" to turn the compass off since it was not in the classic UI. Use your sense heading skill repeatedly until it is reliable. After you spend some time in most zones, you won't need it anyway. Learning your way around can be half the fun of getting to a new place.

Jeice
08-02-2010, 04:50 PM

forget anything WOW has taught you, look at this game as if you never have touched another MMO and you will be good. There are very little quests, and of which they are give out the "good" items and tend to take some time (like up to months) to complete. Unless you are a Mage, Necro, or higher level Bard, Wiz, Shaman, don't expect to solo very much. Its all about grinding mobs till your fingers are sore and bleeding, and always being in a group. I would suggest Crushbone or Befallen to start at lower levels, most dungeons have a xp bonus in which outside does not. Join a noob guild and they can help you out.

Chicka
08-02-2010, 06:20 PM

How do i accept it?

To find out more ask something about the bracketed words. There is no formal "accept" for a quest. Many quest givers will accept the items they need and give you the reward without you ever so much as hailing them. It is worth going through the talk though because some quests require high enough faction to complete - without which you may lose your items.