PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Partner

Destron
10-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Hey caster types,

I have a bard who is 52 and I have a friend who recently started playing. He is playing a Wizard and I was hoping to get some advice from you guys for a good class that I could duo with him.

I was thinking a Shaman wouldn't be bad, I have heard that bards are really good but obviously I'm not making a second bard :D

I think we will be kind of limited to a caster duo but maybe I'm mistaken. Any tips are appreciated, thank you all.

Tecmos Deception
10-17-2013, 07:29 PM
You could just powerlevel the wizard with your bard.

Destron
10-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I could.

He doesn't want to be PL'd though. More looking to enjoy the journey when we're playing together. Lame I know.

Splorf22
10-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Enc/Wiz isn't bad really. At least for 30 levels or so the Enchanter won't have enough mana to root/nuke everything for full xp while charming. Long term you do get ports and constant clarity makes wizards mildly less bad in xp groups.

Estu
10-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Wizards are pretty awful in most EXP groups and duos aren't much different, except for wiz/bard. Although one thing you could do is some sweet aggro kiting once he gets his first snare at 29. With snare and the staff of temperate flux, he can snag a monster and keep aggro without fail, and then you can move in with a rogue and backstab like a madman. No one takes damage, med time isn't huge because all he's casting is one snare per fight. Getting up to 29 with wiz/rogue would be difficult, though :)

Nagash
10-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Always heard pal / wiz makes a great duo. I'm not sure of how the two would work together though but you may want to give it a try and enlighten me :)

koros
10-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Pal/Wiz would be horrible. Can you kill stuff? Sure. But they have such antithetical styles and almost no synergy.

Velerin
10-18-2013, 02:16 PM
The paladin is essentially the wizards root/self healing pet. It can work well in the low to mid lvls but will slow down a lot once mob hp goes up too much.

iRFNA
10-18-2013, 05:19 PM
paladin does bring lull and stun to the table as well, go dual erudites for classiness

koros
10-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Paladin does low DPS, and takes damage in melee combat. Wizard has high burst and low sustained dps potential. The wizard gains almost no benefit with the paladin tanking vs just killing rooted mobs. There's a distinct lack of class meshing here.

Velerin
10-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Paladin holds mob steady with stun/root, does a little bit of damage, wizard nukes 2-3 times mob's dead. Paladin goes and pullls another while wizard meds.
"just killing rooted mobs" = pulling, rooting, rerooting, kiting a little, getting beat on, all time while not medding.
Low to mid levels works well. Paladin won't take much damage since mob doesn't live long and paladin heals can top himself off. Yes, at higher levels it won't work well anymore because mob hps get too high where 2-3 wiz nukes wont kill it anymore, paly takes too much damage = more downtime.
Once wiz has jboots/sow then obviously probably more efficient (although boring and not doable everywhere) to solo quad and let the paladin go work on tradeskills or something.

Elerion
10-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Wiz / Druid - Gives the wizard constant access to SoW, since he probably can't afford jboots. Gives the druid more damage in a quad kite, which helps with poor gear. Good luck getting a group above level 35.
Wiz / Mage - Gives the wizard some sustained DPS and a "tank". Gives the mage access to snare and root, so runners and adds won't ruin his day so often.
Wiz / Enchanter - Gives the wizard access to clarity. Gives the enchanter... ports and snares, I guess.

In all 3 cases the class partnered with the wizard will secretly wish they were solo instead.