PDA

View Full Version : Old EQer coming back for more.

Gratal
07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I played EQ from launch to around Gates of Discord and recently had an urge to play again without all the extra crap they added. Was hoping to find a private server with EQ/Kunark/Velious, but this one interested me.

So, I was wondering if any of you could help me search through the fog of my memory to remember exactly what the state of EQ was for this server. There's so many things that were added just in Kunark/Velious, I can't remember what the state of the classes were.

For instance:
Are the xp penalties for races still in effect?
Do pets summon at random level range or at max?
Are rangers still useless? (I remember them becoming pretty good after one point)
Do Bards get meditate? (That one was a life-saver)
Are zones such as Paineel available? (Erudite Necro ftw! =P)

Thanks for any replies, I'm just trying to get a feel for what patches have been done.

jeffd
07-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes.
Random.
No, as long as your gear is decent - same as any melee.
Good question... not sure.
Yes, but not Warrens.

Gratal
07-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks, the paineel question was the big one on whether I wanted a necro...although if pets are random I might not =/

Bard meditate was only to allow them to scribe and mem spells faster, not for any mana regen or anything. It only went up to 1 point or maybe 20 not sure.

Was thinking of making an Erudite Necro or possibly a High Elf cleric. Although my friend once had a badass Halfling Rogue, but I remember them not having any high damage piercing weapons

Overcast
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks, the paineel question was the big one on whether I wanted a necro...although if pets are random I might not =/

Bard meditate was only to allow them to scribe and mem spells faster, not for any mana regen or anything. It only went up to 1 point or maybe 20 not sure.

Was thinking of making an Erudite Necro or possibly a High Elf cleric. Although my friend once had a badass Halfling Rogue, but I remember them not having any high damage piercing weapons

Good chance by the time you get up to speed - especially with a Rogue, Kunark will be out and you will have a few options :)

Welcome aboard - what EQLive server were you from?

Dunno about Rangers, I knew in Classic they were good at mid levels to a degree because of dual wield and all. I'm seriously considering one myself, in spite of the difficulties. As for when they got 'good' - I'd probably have to say - when Sony 'fixed' ranged in PoP by giving them some AA's, but that's debatable. Some Kunark weapons could help them significantly too.

But then, back at that point, I was on Vallon Zek and a well played Ranger could own in PvP.

Gratal
07-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I played on Karana which split to Ayonae Ro...started the game as a Half-Elf tanking Druid, was fun in Lower Guk. Also had a High Elf Cleric, Erudite Wizard, Half-Elf Bard when PoP came out (Charmkiting Ravens in plane of Nightmare was awesome). And probably dozens of alts that I never took anywhere.

Overcast
07-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I played on Karana which split to Ayonae Ro...started the game as a Half-Elf tanking Druid, was fun in Lower Guk. Also had a High Elf Cleric, Erudite Wizard, Half-Elf Bard when PoP came out (Charmkiting Ravens in plane of Nightmare was awesome). And probably dozens of alts that I never took anywhere.

Yeah, know that feeling. No alt-mania for me here. My biggest mistake in EQ was rolling alts all the time.

That and I switched servers, so it was hard to keep track of people from the olden daze, but I still remember a number of them.

Gratal
07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Oh, another question I just remembered...is Kithicor still vanilla? Or is the redo in effect? (ie. death at night from undead)

Maurk
07-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Yes, at night time the undead indeed comes out in Kithicor.

fwaits
07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

Pyrocat
07-21-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

<3

Also I just updated it to explicitly state that Paineel is unlocked, and the answer to the pet summon quest.

Dantes
07-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Actually some of those questions are not covered by the FAQ. Give the guy some credit, at least he's not asking when Kunark will be opened.

fwaits
07-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Actually some of those questions are not covered by the FAQ. Give the guy some credit, at least he's not asking when Kunark will be opened.

I didn't link it to mean he was asking bad questions, I just figured since he WAS asking a bunch of questions that there may be even more, and some may be answered (as were some of his original Q's) in that FAQ.

Gratal
07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks, read through it, happy with about all of it...although the pet thing bums me a bit

Gratal
07-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Are most of the commands in effect? Such as %T putting your target's name in chat? I was big on macros that let groups know what I was doing.

Nedala
07-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Are most of the commands in effect? Such as %T putting your target's name in chat? I was big on macros that let groups know what I was doing.

yes they are in effect. At least %T is, and /cast 1-8 also.

Gratal
07-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm thinking of playing either an Erudite Necro, or a High Elf Enchanter. My wife is going to play the game with me and she's doing a High Elf Magician. I'd like to not have the faction differences of the necro, but don't know if I could handle the bad players killing me with my mezzes.

Any advice on the current abilities of the two?

Dersk
07-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking of playing either an Erudite Necro, or a High Elf Enchanter. My wife is going to play the game with me and she's doing a High Elf Magician. I'd like to not have the faction differences of the necro, but don't know if I could handle the bad players killing me with my mezzes.

Any advice on the current abilities of the two?

Enchanters are encountering problems in a few areas that aren't quite classic. Pet tanking is quite problematic with what appears to be peculiar agro rules regarding pets. Enchanter pets have a hard time even peeling proximity agro off of the enchanter for whateve reason. Pet classes that send pets in first don't have that much of a problem, but the animation doesn't give you room to cast much of anything unless you're using root. Fighting mobs that are lower level than the pet (where taunt works) isn't as much of a problem.

Charm functionally works the same as it did on live, but it's much less reliable than it ever was at low levels with low charisma, which is really saying something. It reportedly behaves better at higher levels with moderate gear.

Everything I've seen shows the mez line blurring at a miniscule fraction of what it did on live, so there's a lot more agro (solo and grouped) to deal with for an already high agro class.

My cazic-thule Erudite cleric doesn't have any faction problems in Qeynos or Halas on p1999, and I suspect it's a similar situation in other good/neutral cities. Being a necro shouldn't be different in that respect, so any differences in faction here seem to work toward your advantage if you're worried about an erudite necro.

That, and call of bones is supposed to reset any racial faction you have due to the illusion, or so I've read. I've not tested that on this server though.

Gratal
07-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I was thinking of being Innorruk Erudite Necro if that's available. I seem to remember that the gods had some impact on certain quests/gear you could wear at one point, mighta been SoL or later though.

Dersk
07-21-2010, 10:46 PM
I was thinking of being Innorruk Erudite Necro if that's available.

No Erudites can worship Innoruuk. Their necros are stuck with cazic.

Bubbles
07-21-2010, 11:33 PM
If you are going enchanter you might want to consider Dark Elves simply because their racial ability to hide allows you to break charms instantly without re-memming invis. Thats the only tangible I can think of offhand. Obviously, remember to be agnostic.

Pick any race you want for a necro, outside of Iksar (later) they all play pretty much the same and have their varying lousy faction and newbie/mid level hunting grounds. It's more of a personal preference when picking your necro. :)

Gratal
07-22-2010, 12:10 AM
If I went Enchanter I would probably be High Elf to start out in same city with Wife or Erudite for the obvious higher starting int/cha than DE...and isn't the Hide capped at 50? So it's not 100% reliable?

Dersk
07-22-2010, 12:28 AM
So it's not 100% reliable?

Correct, but it's also a lot easier than waiting till kunark and camping a goblin gaz ring, or using a spell slot and casting time to cast invis.

Bubbles
07-22-2010, 12:42 AM
If I went Enchanter I would probably be High Elf to start out in same city with Wife or Erudite for the obvious higher starting int/cha than DE...and isn't the Hide capped at 50? So it's not 100% reliable?

Having ghetto hide saves a spell slot more than anything. I didn't say it was a huge deal, just the only real racial perk to look for in enchanters.

And yeah, start near the wife, it'll save a lot of headache down the road. HIE are pretty stellar for their starting INT/CHA, and of course if you are fully looking for the trip down memory lane, close proximity to Crushbone, the Mino Caves, Mistmoore, Unrest, and Pegleg's bandits is a good place to start. :)

Overcast
07-22-2010, 09:31 AM
yes they are in effect. At least %T is, and /cast 1-8 also.

And you get six 'social abilities' you can macro with '/doability 1' - etc.

dallammarr
07-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Also if you are going to play with your wife, don't forget to apply for an IP exemption if you haven't done so already. Otherwise only one of you will be able to login at a time fromt he same IP. I believe this is done through the petitions thread on the forums.