PDA

View Full Version : Thicken mana spell

Valoril
07-21-2010, 05:07 AM
I wanted to get this spell in order to continue my tailoring and to do Wu's armor .
I know that in 99 this spell was only available in the Brownie camp .
But I (like everybody ?) am KOS there .
Alakazam's is extremely confusing , contradictory and probably refers to later patches - go wolf form , go elemental illusion , don't go elemental illusion , hide , feign death , go tree illusion , stand on the head and whistle ...
While there definitely is a way to get this spell (Wu's armor is being sold in EC) , I have asked sofar around 30 + enchanters and none was able to tell me HOW to get this spell .
What was maddening was that the very few enchanters who actually had the spell , ALL without exception told me that they "were given it by somebody" !

So there must exist this mysterious "somebody" who knows how to get it , appears out of the thin air and hands it out to random enchanters and I am looking for him .
Would "somebody" here know what is exactly to be done to get this spell ?
Preferably a variant not involving 20 hours of some obscure quest raising the brownie faction .

mmiles8
07-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Wolf Form or other elemental illusions currently aren't raising the faction to the point that you can use the vendors. Rogues/Halflings/Bards can sneak to use the vendor.

To do it as an enchanter, you'd need to charm the vendor, even Benevolence won't get you there.

Valoril
07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Wolf Form or other elemental illusions currently aren't raising the faction to the point that you can use the vendors. Rogues/Halflings/Bards can sneak to use the vendor.

To do it as an enchanter, you'd need to charm the vendor, even Benevolence won't get you there.

OK thanks .
So basically what you say is that an enchanter can't buy a spell that only he can use .
Looks like a bug to me .

Overcast
07-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Getting all the spells in EQ has never been real easy...

Valoril
07-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Getting all the spells in EQ has never been real easy...

Yes but there is an extreme difference between not easy and impossible .
Even in 99 I can't remember a single case where a class would be prevented to buy a spell that is available on a vendor and only they can use .
F.ex getting the metal enchants takes time and is not very safe but is possible .
Anyway , this bug has been removed later so I guess it's a matter of waiting untill it's fixed .
In the meantime thanks for info .

martigan1983
07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
DE enchanter can get it they got hide

Overcast
07-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Dunno if it's any help..

"Thicken Mana - Used to make Viscious Mana, required for Wu's Fighting Gauntlets. I know of no other use for this spell, and it's difficult getting the spell from Lesser Faedark at the Brownie city. You can use Alliance to get yourself non-KOS to the brownies then Minor Illusion once inside to gain access to the merchants."

http://www.members.tripod.com/xornn/Circles/4th_circle_%2812-15%29.htm

guineapig
07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Careful with Minor illusion.

I turned myself into a fence and got wrecked by the entire brownie village the first time I tried.

Of course that was many moons ago when the alliance spells were still broken. Alliance or benevolence should work in theory, but I still wouldn't mess with minor illusion there.

guineapig
07-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Back when I was posting about this I tried every single illusion I had access to including every elemental form and the enchanter wolf illusion to no avail.

More recently I tried druid wolf form and was still unable to buy or sell from them.

DE enchanter can get it they got hide

Hide would not work because you become unhidden as soon as you click on the merchant. You are thinking about sneak. Any race or class that gets sneak should be able to purchase from them theoretically.

But please do post here and let us know if alliance or benevolence works. I'm curious to know (but not enough to run my chanter to Lfay just for that).

Nikeeta
10-23-2010, 04:21 PM
alliance DOES work to get you inside.

However, i've cast illusion minor, or what-have-you and that does nothing to make them interact with me.

Estu
10-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Recruit some newbie rogue in GFay to sneak in and buy the spell for you. Most people are merely dubious in the camp, as far as I can tell, so you don't even have to worry about the hireling getting aggroed.

Ozz
10-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I got it using sneak. My druid is a halfling and I used sneak on him to get the spell from the brownies. Worked with no problems at all and I have been making viscious mana and Wu's for months.

Messianic
10-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Make a wood elf/gnome rogue. Level to 3. Drop-transfer some item you can sell for the $$ to buy the spell. Drop-Transfer spell. Done :)

Nedala
10-24-2010, 07:40 AM
OK thanks .
So basically what you say is that an enchanter can't buy a spell that only he can use .
Looks like a bug to me .

Did you read mmiles post at all?? You need to charm the npc.

Tealia
10-24-2010, 01:55 PM
A wood elf druid in wolf form bought it for me. I think maybe when i thought to try wolf form it worked for me too, but i forget. But i know it worked for the druid.