PDA

View Full Version : p1999 PVP server?

fuji
07-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Anyone else here play on a non-blue server during early live?

Would be cool to get a PvP only server going to bring back some of the other memories. My personal favorite of charming lowbies with my Enc and using them as pets, I once charmed someone for 30mins before they disconnected. Or later on when they brought in beast control for like a day or two, fun charming them as well.

Is it just me, or was some of the funniest stuff nerfed?

MiRo2
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I played on Tallon Zek from classic up to OoW. Was a ton a fun at times, but also very horrible.

Damaja
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I had so much fun in Nek Forest on Vallon Zek on my 12 Erudite Chanter charming lowbies and sicking them on young kodiaks or the fish in the river, or ... on other players lol /sigh thats what made me sad when they nerfed that.

I was bound there, stayed there doing that for like 6 months ... SOLID, god that was a blast.

fuji
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I had so much fun in Nek Forest on Vallon Zek on my 12 Erudite Chanter charming lowbies and sicking them on young kodiaks or the fish in the river, or ... on other players lol /sigh thats what made me sad when they nerfed that.

I was bound there, stayed there doing that for like 6 months ... SOLID, god that was a blast.

Haha, good to see I am not alone. I started playing only like a couple of weeks before that got nerfed. It happened to me first as a lowbie, then I turned the tables and did it non-stop.

HippoNipple
07-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I played on Rallos Zek and the good thing about item loot, was that people were always too scared to wear items for MR. Enchanters were pretty good when MR wasn't an issue. Tanks on the other hand were hard to come by. It made a lot of fun challenges for sure. It made the community a lot stronger as well since there was so much at stake. People made sure to keep tabs and your reputation meant everything. Its easy to be nice on a blue server, on a red server it was tough. How many people on this server that are "nice" would be tempted to nuke their warrior group mate at 10% with a rubicate BP?

This is actually the first blue server I have ever played on so these camping problems I will encounter at level 50 are all new to me. The only community grief I ever encountered was calling someone a Pker or PvPer on red servers. Cause once you were labeled a "pker" you had no chance at grouping or ever raiding. Except for the guild Darkenbane that was the only real organized Pk guild and they had to deal with being kos by every other real guild on the server.

mitic
07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
imo there are enuf ppl already around to start another pvp server. vz/tz golden age was over when daxum left 2 years ago

HippoNipple
07-20-2010, 05:33 PM
It was over for me once item loot left. I'm not even sure what year that was but it was early on. It changed the whole game for me, no longer did no drop items that were so hard to get matter. The only way no item loot pvp was different from blue was a little added griefing from pointless pvp.

People complain about item loot asking what the point of getting items are if you can't wear it. Well you wear it when you are in a good group or around trusted people that are working towards that no drop gear. If you are backstabbed that person will be black balled and your friends will help you get back the 1 item you lost if needed. It makes no drop Planar gear all that much better when you can wear it on an item loot pvp server. All the hardships of everquest get that much harder and the accomplishments are then that much better. It is for sure the hardest version of EQ around and most players can't handle the downsides of it. Unfortunately most mmorpg gamers get blinded by a couple shinny items and miss the big picture.

As for p1999 making a pvp server, it wont' happen. Not enough resources or population to support it. EQ Live had how many blue servers compared to the few pvp servers? P1999 has only 1 blue server. There would need to be 5 blue servers before there could be a pvp server because you probably need 5,000 players before you get enough to have 500-1000 interested in pvp. This server needs the current population it has.

Overcast
07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
My original server was Vallon Zek - until, well the teams started working together on everything around PoP - kinda killed the spirit of the server for me, and I went to Cazic-Thule to stay.

mitic
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
As for p1999 making a pvp server, it wont' happen. Not enough resources or population to support it. EQ Live had how many blue servers compared to the few pvp servers? P1999 has only 1 blue server. There would need to be 5 blue servers before there could be a pvp server because you probably need 5,000 players before you get enough to have 500-1000 interested in pvp. This server needs the current population it has.

i played for 2 years on vz/tz here with 150-300 players before it went down the tube so keep any eq live argument out of this thread ;) its not like we have 5 expansions going here to fit the masses of people playing

classic pvp with maybe kunark later on coded by nilbog would be sweet :D

tj218
07-20-2010, 06:56 PM
I played several chars/races on Vallon from 99-01 then quit EQ. I did like the change to get rid of losing an item on death. Under those rules once a player was losing it was all a contest to try to bag all your goods before you die. Also really stunk when you lose an expensive piece of equipment after getting jumped at the end of a battle with a mob. Wasn't rare when the PC jumped in and helped the mob. I am sure there were petitions out that wazoo, probably prompting the switch to coin only.

Once it went to coins only it became a lot more fun and more about the hunt/kill than stealing items off of people. I was part of a small guild that played the true race/war not just good vs. evil. What fun it was to kill humans in Kelethin while people complained "he is a good guy." Brought roleplaying up a notch too.

The other thing I remember is that the economy was really skewed when compared to care-bare servers (even P99). As a light race, anything that dropped in Cazic or Guk was much more difficult to get and the price was much higher, likewise for darks with items from light zones.

Was a great experience, but I am not sure if it could be implemented without attracting hackers/lamers/exploiters.

Chicka
07-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I never played on a red server so I am curious as to why being labelled a pker is a bad thing on a pvp server...

rioisk
07-20-2010, 07:44 PM
reputation matters when you never know if you can trust those around you to not kill you.

Damaja
07-20-2010, 08:46 PM
VZ/TZ is a joke now, and it is never going to return. All you have there now are dickhead moderators and admins and retarded ass players thinking they run something on a dead server.

Tiggles
07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
As much as I love EQ pvp i finally realized that it will never work on an EMU just because its so easy to hack/mod/exploit or otherwise gain an unfair advantage

RKromwell
07-20-2010, 10:53 PM
I never played on a red server so I am curious as to why being labelled a pker is a bad thing on a pvp server...

Do you want to be know as the guy that is going to stab your group mates in the back? EQ is an mmo and if you want to get anywhere you have to group.

I tried PvP, I don't have the heart for it.

Sparkin
07-21-2010, 03:11 AM
As much as I love EQ pvp i finally realized that it will never work on an EMU just because its so easy to hack/mod/exploit or otherwise gain an unfair advantage

This.

I'd prefer EQ-style PvP (omnipresent danger) to any PvP i've played in an MMO since, but the game is just too easy to hack.

mitic
07-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Was a great experience, but I am not sure if it could be implemented without attracting hackers/lamers/exploiters.

devs/gms care more on emu than employed devs/gms on live. there has been alot of monitoring & bans the first years on vz/tz before daxum (he was the creator of vz/tz on emu) left.

id join in a second if nilbog starts a red server

ukaking
07-21-2010, 08:37 AM
I grew up on Rallos Zek from 2000-2005. Never played anywhere but Rallos Zek and my main was an Iksar Warrior (terrible PvP, Kos To everyone but Iksar and no porting or run speed capabilities). HARDEST route I could go I think and I had no clue I was putting myself through such a grindfest! I wouldnt change a thing! My greatest memories come from some of the classic PvP battles I was a part of, including hunting down PK'rs and making them pay for killing another Iksar on Kunark soil!

PhelanKA
07-21-2010, 10:19 AM
It was over for me once item loot left. I'm not even sure what year that was but it was early on.

It must've been after Velious. I played on Rallos Zek up till about a month or two after Velious was released and it was always item drop as far as I can recall. I remember the days when you could loot things out of backpacks... Now THAT was fun :p

I played on Rallos Zek during beta and you actually used to be able to loot EVERYTHING. Just like Meridian 59. But the non-M59 players decided that was too hardcore.

HippoNipple
07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't see why hacking would be a bigger problem on a red server than on a blue server. I think this server is pretty good about catching people cheating and the devs are good about banning people that do so.

If there was ever a server with project 1999 rules/devs team that was red and I was 1 kill before dinging max level on here I would /quit in the middle of a fight, die, let corpse rot the second the server opened.

Frankee
07-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I also came from Rallos Zek, i quit shortly after when you couldn't loot each other anymore as well. I believe it was during PoP when that was implemented.

ukaking
07-21-2010, 06:04 PM
I remember camping the dwarves in Icewell Keep trying to get the full set of no drop plate armor that iksar could wear.

Itchybottom
07-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Ah yes, running to lower guk as a lowbie to grab some shin greaves. Waiting patiently at the zone line, for a frog to die and right clicking the corpse over and over and over, praying. Maybe even finding someone you could pay to take you in to the basalt gargoyles to get a Basalt Carapace. Then headed out, killing some aqua goblins in Oasis to get an Opoline Helm. Another option for pants was Permafrost, for the Icy Greaves. Maybe if you were lucky, get some Firey Vambraces off goblins in Solusek A rotting on the champion. Of course, everyone had their Aviak Charm in the neck slot. I remember being jealous of how many NO DROP items mages had.

Buhbuh
07-25-2010, 02:16 PM
I'd hit a red server the second it opened as well. If it opened in the middle of a raid as an MT here, poof, linkdead. =p

I'm willing to bet a lot of the at heart PvP players here would pool their resources to donate more for equipment on that kind of project if the developers were down. I'm betting everyone would leave that shit hole of a server they have now and I, alone, could get probably 50 old players from that server to join up again.

Classic EQ in every aspect was just far better, PvE/ PvP.

jeffd
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
I was on SZ in Raging Rainbows, and that's definitely the best pvp gaming I've ever experienced. The DAOC 8man scene came close, but nothing will ever be as fun as oldschool SZ.

I would switch to a red server in a heartbeat, but only if Nilbog & Co were the folks who operated it.

I imagine if a P99 red server was opened the people currently playing on other EQEmu PVP servers would switch to it. I've tried the EQEmu PVP servers, and they're all either filled with dumb custom shit or just have horrible devs/GMs.

Buhbuh
07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Yeah, if these guys hosted one I bet both servers populations would be huge, a lot more donations, etc.

Or they might donate to simply make one. That would be cool idea once Kunark released here.

Vyrx
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
As much as I enjoyed the EQ experience with pvp (especially the Synergy vs. Peacebreakers war on Rallos Zek), I wouldn't want this population to be split. The lower level zones already seem pretty empty.

Spud
07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Ah yes, running to lower guk as a lowbie to grab some shin greaves. Waiting patiently at the zone line, for a frog to die and right clicking the corpse over and over and over, praying. Maybe even finding someone you could pay to take you in to the basalt gargoyles to get a Basalt Carapace. Then headed out, killing some aqua goblins in Oasis to get an Opoline Helm. Another option for pants was Permafrost, for the Icy Greaves. Maybe if you were lucky, get some Firey Vambraces off goblins in Solusek A rotting on the champion. Of course, everyone had their Aviak Charm in the neck slot. I remember being jealous of how many NO DROP items mages had.

haha no drop shin armor was essential on RZ.

I had a blast with my time on that server but I dont think a real emulated pvp server could happen for the reasons already stated.

Also what is the true interest for pvp among EQ players? Back on classic there was 2 or 3 pvp servers and like 10 or 12 non pvp servers?

Gorgetrapper
07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I imagine if a P99 red server was opened the people currently playing on other EQEmu PVP servers would switch to it. I've tried the EQEmu PVP servers, and they're all either filled with dumb custom shit or just have horrible devs/GMs.

And we want those trash players to come around here? They're already poking their heads in as it is.

Nizzarr
07-26-2010, 01:03 PM
For every "legit" players on a pvp server, theres 5 hacker/exploiter/MQ'ers etc.

EQ pvp servers brings out the worse crowd. I wouldnt want any of that.

azeth
07-26-2010, 01:22 PM
For every "legit" players on a pvp server, theres 5 hacker/exploiter/MQ'ers etc.

EQ pvp servers brings out the worse crowd. I wouldnt want any of that.

not specifically talking about anyone who's responded in this thread, but yes PvP servers seem to attract these types - hackers/bots etc. I've never PvP'd in EQ, and have no desire to, so I understand if my sample size is too small.

Actually I'm basing this on other games I've played that do focus on PvP - i.e Allods Online (trash). I remember being griefed so bad while I was like AFK off/on killing stuff for levels by some guy who had all newb gear but was max level. He was running about 10x normal run speed (no buff does this) and kiting me, and the whole time I'm thinking to myself "is this legitimately a good time for you?". Especially since in Allods there was legit PvP, pretty balanced and required some skill versus time spent gathering gear. So to this day it's kind of a mystery to me this dude got his rocks off hacking and killing people.. considering he could have played the game normally and possibly gained some satisfaction from his kills.