PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Missed Backstab generating high threat

amishriot
10-09-2013, 07:24 PM
I did a search and there are some other posts on this issue but none of them give very many details. They have all been moved to the resolved area but this certainly is still an issue. My main in live was a rogue and I'm familiar with backstabs generating a lot of agro from high damage but never once have I ever got it from missing one.

I started a rogue on p99 recently and at first I thought it was just from high damage but then I started noticing I was getting extreme agro from partial hits and even misses. I did a bit of testing and did nothing but back stab. No normal hits at all and despite the tank doing all the damage I am still pulling agro from a single missed backstab even if the tank has wittled the mob down 30-40%. The "tank" was a ranger and she was also snaring. There is no way a missed backstab should generate so much threat that you would pull agro from a snare let alone 30% of the mobs hp. A missed one prob shouldnt generate any threat at all.

I'm not sure what sort of evidence I can give for this. Would screen shots be enough? Would I need to make a video? I'm kinda shocked this has not been addressed because it would be extremely apparent to anyone who played a rogue in classic live.

Silent
10-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I noticed the high aggro gain from missed backstabs also, I just usually go through it or pray evade works. Even with a epic warrior proccing or a SK disease cloud spamming ive been able to pull aggro with missed backstabs like it were more threat generation.

TWDL_Prexus
10-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Threat is determined on potential damage. That is why you still draw agro on misses.

evilkorn
10-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Noticed unusually high agro from missed BS as well.

amishriot
10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Threat is determined on potential damage. That is why you still draw agro on misses.

That makes sense with the way it is behaving but that ius not how it worked in live. Unfortunately I don't know how to prove that but I am 100% confident that it did not work that way. Never once in all my years playing as a rogue did I ever pull agro from missing a backstab. Not unless I was the only person attacking the mob. I think all the former rogues would all agree this is not how it should be done if p99 wants to emulate classic live.

Retti_
10-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Maybe ur rogue on classic live had a dragoon dirk and torch offhand and thus no damage? Dunno.

amishriot
10-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Maybe ur rogue on classic live had a dragoon dirk and torch offhand and thus no damage? Dunno.

I had epic, and it only pulled agro when i landed it. If I missed and had not done a single point if damage then the mob would never agro me over the tank. It worked off actual damage not potential damage.

Treats
10-11-2013, 03:07 AM
I'm fairly sure special attacks added threat differently from regular melee damage.

As others have said in this thread Backstab/Flying Kick/Kick/etc only added threat in relation to damage on successful attacks.

I have no proof though ;/

Someone get to it!

amishriot
10-11-2013, 04:34 AM
I'm fairly sure special attacks added threat differently from regular melee damage.

As others have said in this thread Backstab/Flying Kick/Kick/etc only added threat in relation to damage on successful attacks.

I have no proof though ;/

Someone get to it!

If it had any added threat it was never enough to pull agro on a miss. Same with flying kicks in my experience

Dullah
10-11-2013, 07:14 AM
There have been some rather conclusive posts in the past which seem to prove otherwise. Look for a thread with links from steelwarrior and a few others. Rogean seemed quite confident in the information.

Rogean
10-12-2013, 04:47 AM
Aggro was always generated based on potential damage, never actual damage. This means hit, miss, block, parry all generate aggro. Ripostes do not generate aggro.

This has been confirmed by multiple sources and won't be changed.

amishriot
10-12-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm positive that is not the case with backstab but I can only say from personal experience. I wont argue it since I don't have any evidence to back it up. I don't see any way to check it since live today is likely to be completely different from what it was in classic.