PDA

View Full Version : When was your first experience with Everquest?

Pages : [1] 2

nilbog
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm Interested to see the demographic of veteran players vs. first-timers!

Simplistik
07-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Just after the release of Kunark.

Toony
07-20-2010, 02:16 PM
I logged in for the first time on May 21, 1999. I walked up to the PoD in Kelethin, hit attack and got owned. Everquest was a part of my life for the next 5 or so years.

Jete
07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I started about 5 months before the release of Velious, I remember being too poor to afford it... haha.

Mournblade
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
I was a newbie, but I just barely pre-date Kunark

dallammarr
07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't remember the exact date but it was June or July of 1999 on my bro's acct. I made a HIE Paladin (as my character in the AD&D camps i was in was a pally) and ran around faydark for a bit. Later on in Aug of 1999 my bro surprised me with my own copy. Made my own pally with it then tried several other classes til I found my nitch, the necro which was created 01/20/2000 on bertoxx named Dallammarr. Right before him though I did make a monk i believe in oct or nov of 1999 named Shalafii which I always kept around as the monk was my second fav class.

Beau
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
My brother and I first bought our copies of the game in late November 1999. about 5 months later Kunark was release... Glad I can re-live it all here! :)

jyaku
07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
right after kunark release, buddy of mine telling me of his adventures during world history class. i now realize that everything he told me was BS as he was'nt even level 20 when i started

utenan
07-20-2010, 03:40 PM
got the game in 2000, Think i started right before velious, i remember having RoK. I was 10 at the time I believe

guineapig
07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
I used to think I started playing during late Velious but looking back now it seems I actually started during Luclin but I only had the original Trilogy.

I think I was around 25 at the time.

Icecometus
07-20-2010, 05:13 PM
June of 99. Started on Quellious 1 week after it went live. Dark Elf Rogue named Phuq... hehe needless to say after about 15 min of being lost in Neriak a GM asked me to change it haha.

askme19k
07-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Sometime after the release of Kunark. Didn't own a computer that didn't crash every 5-30 minutes while playing EverQuest until early Luclin.

Aarone
07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Winter of '99/00, pretty sure it was after Christmas, but I'm not positive, certain it was a month or two prior to Kunark, so I'm guessing Jan/Feb of 2000. I can vividly recall relentlessly dieing to lag spikes while using the Kelethin lifts, so much so that I said the hell with it and learned the run to Felwithe to bank.

kc7wzl
07-20-2010, 07:48 PM
well I played a little bit in late fall of 1999 ( if I recall around Dec. of 1999 ) with a friends account off and on till fall of 2001 but I did not play regular untill I got my own account Dec. 2002 when PoP was fairly new...

so I have fond roots in bolth OEM verant EQ and SOE EQ.. to me EQ did not start declining bad till LDoN... that expation gave me a bad taiste that will never get wrinsed out.. there was a small gimmer of hope when GoD was released... but buy the time they released titanum client I was done with LIVE.. to me the perfect server would be 100% recreation of live just befor LDoN... IE... after then fixxed most of the buggs in LoY expantion..

Sad thing is it was EQemu that got me to get back on in 2002... and I played live and dabbled with EQemu till I had enough of SoE and the expantion pack mill in summer 2005 and played fully on EQemu... and yes I had my little WoW spert off and on from 2005 to 2009 but I stopped giving blizzard any time when they desided to fallow the ways of SoE and destroy OEM content.. now EQemu has had my full attention since dec of 2009...

when I was on live I mostly played on MithMarr, FV, and drainal (sorry I cant remeber how it was spelled I left that server in 2004 ) and main stayed in MM and FV..

my toons was Daanlia SHM, Yanaduno ENC, Sheennaa BST, Tinna WAR, Wanasbik MAG, Fagar RANG, and Ninander CLR

heh I though this would be a good place to tell a little about me...

kc7wzl

P.S. sorry I know my spelling and grammer is horrid but I dont care.. it does not meant I am not smart just not what I consider inportant... sorry forum trolls.. but you will not gent under my skin

Walabaego
07-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Woot I am 1/3 that have never played EQ till this Emu. :P Well...ok I played a friends Cleric back in the day when he was raiding once in a while. All I knew how to do was Complete Heal at 40% haha. Total noob though, got to 50, grinding out plat, gearing alts and helping lowbies. I feel i've done well :)

deificus
07-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I was in beta P4.

Kani
07-20-2010, 11:18 PM
August 1999 My first 5 minutes went like this: Created a Wood Elf, took a few steps forward and , "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT." The gamma was turned down on my video card settings, so I didn't realize that I was standing like 5 steps from the edge of a platform. :)

Salvelinus
07-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Woot I am 1/3 that have never played EQ till this Emu.

That makes me 2/3

JShred86
07-21-2010, 01:59 AM
EverQuest had just came out, my brother bought a copy of the game and let me play on his account. This was in may of 1999, I was 12 years old. I quit Live servers several years later after the Planes of Power fan faire in 2004. SONY unveiled EQ2 there, I wanted to vomit after getting to play a test run. I came home finished PoTime with my guild, then the whole entire server just died, People went to WoW and EQ2. EverQuest had become so far from what I had remembered it as I lost interest. 3 years later, I played some on Shards of dalaya, until I found P1999 last month. Now I've reunited with my favorite game, Everquest. Thank you P1999 staff/developers for making this happen. -Jeff

Fargus
07-21-2010, 02:06 AM
May 22, 2000 to sometime late 2008.

Schultes
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
I started playing back at launch on my friends brothers computer since i didn't even have 56k modem back then or a computer!!!

By far hands down at the time the most amazing game in existence since no other MMORPG could compare to EQ's Glory!!!

First night i ever played i was crazy lost in Freeport and was wandering around the sewers till i stumbled a pone a necro and was about to be slaughtered, but out of know where a Dwarf Paladin named Barq Rootbeard saved me with layhands and showed me to the gate. After that i was hooked pretty bad especially after i found my Ghoulsbane when it was crazy rare to have.

Played on The Rathe till PoP but The Shadows of Luclin was the real fatal blow for me since trading and dueling was my gimmick and once the East Commons tunnel was taken out by the bazaar the best trades you could get were the ones people put the wrong prices on. Even with the giant arena in the Bazaar everyone was a afk mule anyways.

On The Rathe i was Gadwin Saratoga of the Saratoga brothers. Eaglesblood and I were team duelers and only lost one duel due to drop out. Feel free to say hello to him! I was finally able to get him to start playing again after all this time.

This time around i went with an Enchanter named Spontini. Toss me a message especially if your from The Rathe!! Us Ratheins need to stick together!

Aarone
07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
August 1999 My first 5 minutes went like this: Created a Wood Elf, took a few steps forward and , "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT." The gamma was turned down on my video card settings, so I didn't realize that I was standing like 5 steps from the edge of a platform. :)

That sounds about right! :D

Overcast
07-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I started playing on the Wife's account Pre-Kunark. As a matter of fact, she told me a new expansion was coming out in about two weeks.

Considering my finances at the time - I thought that I'd just wait on the new expansion to come out and play if they offered a combo pack with the original game + the expansion. They did, so I officially started two days after Kunark was released. Too much patching and emergency downtime right after it was released.

My very first toon was a DE Shadowknight on Vallon Zek - but my friggin' wife was playing a High Elf Cleric, so I re-rolled a Human Warrior... real fun for a new player, lol - and then made a Human Pally so I could heal some. Went with the Human Pally for quite some time.

I bet I had more /played time on that Human Pally than a did my 80 Necro on the Blue server, Cazic-Thule.

Reiker
07-22-2010, 02:13 AM
My dad was subscribed to Yahoo! magazine, and they had an article about EverQuest. For some reason the picture of the troll standing around in banded armor captivated me and I got the game shortly after. I want to say this was somewhere around December 99/January 00. My first character was a Human Paladin, I also dicked around with some other chars including a Human Enchanter I really liked playing (I remember putting a little bit of starting points into everything that sounded useful including wisdom). I finally settled on my main, a shaman, shortly after Kunark launched.

RKromwell
07-22-2010, 02:53 AM
I started in Beta. A week or two after I first started they put the weather in. I remember standing on top of a hill in Q-Hills while it was raining. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

gothmonk
07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
pre-Kunark on Solusek Ro.. half-elf ranger, Phyrez. Growing up in Qeynos again has been fun.

Thorfin
07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
im with RKrom on this one. I also played in beta and remember the first day they implemented weather. the first roll of thunder scared the hell out of me! Played straight till little before Luclin came out.

Dantes
07-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Launch day.

borntorun
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Beta, Phase 4.

Played until probably two months after Luclin release.

Kelven
07-23-2010, 11:56 AM
First time I saw EQ was when I was at my cusin's house and he was beta testing it. At first I didn't know what to think of it. It was such a new concept to me, and the graphics were a bit cheesy.

2 weeks after they launched the first set of servers, I picked up the game and fell in love with it on day 1.

So began the mmo craze, lol.

Daywolf
07-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Summer of 99. Played both EQ & UO for about 5-6 years. Left UO when it started becoming item based like EQ (AoS) and quit playing EQ when they started churning out instanced content. Canceled Station Access when NGE came to SWG and PlanetSide got screwed up. Kunark was the best expansion for EQ. Played EQ EMU off and on since the early EQEMU days, more as it became stable. I've had subs to many mmo's, fav genre, and do/done dev work on indie mmo's (content).

Waldo73
07-24-2010, 07:07 PM
My friend and I started in June of '99. We were die-hard UO fans, but eventually the awesome (lol) graphics of EQ broke our will and we were compelled to switch games. I played 'till about '02 casually, while my buddy went hardcore 'till '05. The live progression servers brought me back in '06, and I have dabbled in various emu servers ever since.

During that time I showed the game to my 3 brothers, and the 4 of us are having a blast on Project 1999 currently.

odizzido
07-25-2010, 10:29 AM
I played the beta for a little so before march would be my answer...but I guess march is the earliest for the poll so.

Knightmare
07-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Kunark.. as soon as I saw the game advertised with playable Lizardmen (Iksar) I bought a new PC.. and EQ as soon as it was running.

I remember some guy taunting me and annoying me to no end.. just being a real pita. Prompted me to move to Rallos Zek so I could kill them. I got hooked on PvP there for years.. still am hooked on it in every game I play.. lol.

quido
07-25-2010, 10:50 AM
I've never played Everquest before Project1999. I went out of town to go visit a buddy last October and right when I got there he said something to the effect of "So you like killing dragons and shit?" I'd never killed a dragon and said I'd certainly like to try. I arbitrarily rolled a barb shaman upon returning home.

Now I'm a junkie.

chuckelz
07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
lol i see all these pre kunark people....First time i played EQ was in the Beta :)

BEST GAME EVER!

xplodr
07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
June of 99. Started on Quellious 1 week after it went live. Dark Elf Rogue named Phuq... hehe needless to say after about 15 min of being lost in Neriak a GM asked me to change it haha.

Should have changed it to Phuque :D

gaph3r
07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I discovered EverQuest in an issue of PC Gamer magazine. It was one of the featured articles and it told a story of a wonderous, persistent place called Norrath. It spoke of heroes and great deeds, of massive cities and deep oceans. It was a land of mystery and danger, filled with great treasure to those bold enough to pick up a sword or staff and adventure. That article sold me on it. I think I still have that issue around somewhere in a box in the basement.

My first experience was on Veeshan and I played there until Lanys launched. I played through Planes of Power and stopped when I hit 65. My friends even baked me a cake (lame I know).

I've gone back to Norrath now and again but it isn't the same. This... is as close as it is going to get and I am very grateful to the team that has organized and maintained this server. Thank you for bringing a charming memory back to life for me.

-formerly Daevrikk Darkheart, 65th level Necromancer, Lanys server
-current Daevrikk, 10th level Necromancer, Project1999 server

dianamel
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
I started July of 99. At release I would always go to my friends house to watch him play, he had a dwarf paladin. The world amazed me and caught my attention immediately. When I finally got my own copy, I was in heaven. I had a 166mhz processor and 32 mb of ram with a 6mb video card. Let's just say I had to look at the ground while in game just to be able to move without lagging out. I kept with it and eventually got to level 50 on a barbarian shaman (Everfrost was the only zone that didn't lag terribly for me). Everquest has changed my life, and I am glad you guys brought it back for all of us to relive and enjoy.

Slayde
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
can there be a pre-official release option? for those of us that were in beta? hehe

Arondos
07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Think I stared in phase 4 beta. Played till just after PoP.

willis17
07-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Friend got me in to it just after release, and it opened the flood-gates of everquest madness. Off and on after LDoN up until DoN.

Transistor
07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Start Date: July 19, 1999. To be honest, I was peer-pressured into buying the game from a few of my friends - I never really wanted to. But I'm glad I did. Easily the best game I've ever played.

Bubbles
07-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Started in Beta.. played through Kunark. Loved every minute.

I remember at creation I was torn between a cleric and a shadow knight. Started up a HIE cleric, and was greeted by the majesty of Felwithe gates, never looked back again. :)

Verterdegete
07-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Started playing EQ in July 2010 :)

scorchingice
08-02-2010, 01:55 PM
My first time playing everquest was the day it was released. I was a Ultima Online player so I went right to EQ.

I remember fighting 100's of other players to get the kill exp from fire beetles. To remember 100's of people chasing the same mob was an awesome memory.

Eyry
08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I played on release of original. My brother sat me down at the computer on a wood elf ranger. Told me if i had any questions or wanted to talk to people type /ooc <message>. The rest is history. I remember those days. The good old days. I have been on and off EQ for the past 9-10 years.

Edgetiq
08-04-2010, 09:22 AM
My uncle and his buddies bought the game on its release. I watched him play and he let me create a character on his account. I then took over his computer on Saturdays so he bought me my own PC and account and the rest is history!

Jael
08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Oct. 1999

Roommate was in beta and he and Hubby (was still just a boyfriend at the time hehe) were all over it the day of release. I watched them play for a few months, then had to build myself a computer that could play it... and I was hooked from there.

Jeice
08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Played pre-Kunark once in awhile when I went over to my friends house. At the time I did not have a computer, so we would just stay over the one friends house and take turns playing our characters which were all on the same account at the time. When kunark released the family had purchased a shitty HP computer and I started playing religiously... it all went downhill from there.

Sourpus
08-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Started the week of release. Barb Shaman and remember just being lost for hours on end in Everfrost Peaks. Got SOW a few levels later and saw people with black axes in Blackburrow. The next month or so of my game time consisted of me running to Steamfont caves for axes and then back to Blackburrow to sell them for a 8 plat or so I think. No wonder it took me years to hit 50...

Good times, glad to see that a classic EMu got off the ground and looking forward to logging in, installing now.

Mady
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Started in beta. Friend saw it advertised and said he thought I might like it. Signed up and have been playing since. Still have accounts on live.

Sarkhan
08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Started during Kunark but didn't stick to a single main character until Velious I think, that's when my Iksar necro was created early 2001 and played him for years on Tholuxe Paells server. After a few years I switched to Firiona Vie server and played an iksar warrior... Still have account on live but I haven't played it in quite a while. . .

rockhopper
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Held off playing EQ for quite a while. I remember reading reviews and the only thing that really stuck with me was the apparent majesty of fiercely battling tons and tons of... snakes and rats.

Bought it as an impulse buy in Costco when Kunark came out.

Hooked.

StinkyGreenBud
08-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Right after release of kunark. My older brother insisted i'd try it and i'd be hooked. Hate it when he's right.

Bashee_Feind
08-11-2010, 06:04 AM
I started in beta. Had the cd sent straight to my grandparent's house :D oh the days! Played from beta to velious. Quit before any of the planes came out. I got Kunark and Velious expansions bought for me (i was very young, so couldn't buy my own copies) and my parents didn't buy me the planes when they came out, so I got bored. lol

jtburns33
08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
I remember watching the game at a friends house as he walked around Felwithe and thinking, "This is magical."

Kava
08-19-2010, 02:36 PM
March 17th, 1999. I was so upset, I couldn't get it to run in the 16th... I missed a DAY... heh, and played for almost 7 years. E'ci was the server of choice for me, and I remember only paying $9.89 a month (thanks 989 studios!)

And today, Aug 19, 2010, I am gonna try this EQEmulator site!

Elysa
08-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I remember my first real taste of EQ was a free trial that came with my boyfriend's father's sony vio desktop that gave access to the classic content only (though Kunark was out at the time). I didn't get my own account until after I was a few quarters into college (Dec. 2000/Jan 2001).

Fawst
08-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Sometime in 1999. Definitely before Kunark. I stopped a few weeks in because someone scammed me (easily.. I was an idiot) out of a leather helm. I was upset that people behave on the internets the same way they do in real life.

Got back into it a few months later when Kunark came out, got to 61. That Ranger still exists, but I have zero clue how he wound up on Bertox. Did that get merged with Saryrn?

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1197386

Hobbes
08-25-2010, 01:36 PM
I started a Half-Elf Ranger on Erollisi Marr in September of 1999, played him through PoP. Been playing a Beastlord ever since, lvl 85, wound up on Bristlebane after the server merges and a server xfer. Still have an active account.

Torin_Stormchaser
08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I remember playing on my Brother in Laws account on the nights he had to work. He started playing pre kunark and played until well after Luclin. I don't think I started playing on my own account until kunark and played through velious and had to quit. I felt I had to play because I was paying so much for it out of money I really didn't have at the time. I don't remember any of my toons, but I do remember that they were all halflings, dwarves, and gnomes and mostly clerical. I wanted to be the cleric that would run through a zone buffing lower level characters and healing those in need. I had so much fun. I wanted to play forever.
My friend plays live today and I don't think I could ever get into the graphics on there lol. my short stubby halflings are no longer short and stubby...

Fishhawk
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I started at the beginning. My first character was a half-elf Ranger named Gowyn (got him to 16 before I switched to a Druid). I believe it was on the Tunare server. I can distinctly remember grouping with another guy and us going into Western Karanas for the first time. We saw our first giant spider and were wigging out. I still find it hilarious to this day that it surprised me as much as it did. We were both like "Did you see that? That thing is huge!!" LOL such n00bs..

I'm really eager to try P99!

Raavak
08-27-2010, 11:04 AM
June 1999
Played obsessively until 2008.

Fearghus
08-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Old school EQer here. I started playing with in the first month of the initial release.

Tallenn
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Started on Jan 2, 2000. I re-rolled with some friends from the EQ forum when Luclin was released (late Feb or early March, IIRC). I was 14 or 15 when Kunark was released- I know I was at least 14, because I bound in the fire pot room, then the next day re-bound after a friend got into a Faydedar death-loop. I kicked myself for a long time for changing that; the risk of death loop was far out-weighed by the advantages to being able to get to vitually any city within minutes- even for a druid.

Regnon
08-30-2010, 01:50 PM

Yep. First Charater was an Ikky Shaman.

Played from 2000-2005 Gates of Discord was when I quit.

eskamass
09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Got the game when Kunark was released, best experience in MMORPGs ever!!!

Iksar for life!!!!!

Zithax
09-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I want to hear from the people whose first time is P99, mainly:

How well do you enjoy the game?
What is your level/class/race/guild?
Are you casual or hardcore players?
What is your previous "MMO" experience?
Do you recognize what role skill plays in performing your class's proper duties in solo/group/raid situations?

Fulcrum
09-15-2010, 03:31 AM
I've yet to set up the game, but, ghods.... I loved Everquest from the moment I took it out of the box... and loved each expansion. Kunark was my favorite, Velious was brilliant fun, Luclin was great... and as each one progressed I began to worry.

I had to stop around Gates of Discord.

Even so, I don't know how many times I thought back fondly to Orc Highway... or, heck, even to the Orc Camps in the Eastern Commonlands... or taking the boats to get to where you'd prefer to level.

Heck, this is like a dream come true. ;)

Ratbone
10-04-2010, 12:13 PM
i started in September of 2000, just before velious and was instantly hooked,i herd about it through a friend, i remember saying to myself "this game has been out for a year and a half already where the hell have i been! this is awesome!" i played for a couple years straight then started losing interest after luclin came out,then PoP, then barly played LoY then LDON killed it for me. thank you for this server, though i don't play much, when i do, i have my old EQ back, thank you.

masjaun
10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I started in May 99, a friend and I in the 82nd Airborne stayed on post during the four day weekend. We went the PX and purchased this game on a thursday night. I think we played all weekend, slept a few hours, until tuesday morning when we had to do our physical training at 6am.

We both came from Ultima Online and hated getting ganked in pvp, the Everquest rules stated that you couldn't attack another player. Well, we both made characters in a server with (pvp), all of the names looked foriegn to us and we could remember the one with (pvp). Needless to say, we quickly figured out what pvp ment. We spent all summer on Rodect Nife, I think getting up to the mid 30's but then at around Christmas time a new server Lanys Tyvl opened. Some of my new EQ friends hopped servers and started out as "vets".

It was awesome! I felt like a seasoned pro! I made a Erudite Paladin, hoped the boat to Qeynos and began to farm everything that I could to make pp. I remember my first trip accross the world. My friend had a dwarf warrior named Steelhands and we wanted to play together. We spent all night doing research on the internet for maps and tips on how to cross Norath. I got an epic Bard with selo's to take me accross a few zones. What a trip! When I first laid eyes on that dwarven statue at Kaladim....omg...EPIC! When Plane of Fear opened the whole server was lined up out side of the portal. I think there was an un-official raid level of 35 to do the raid. There was no level restriction when it opened. The zone crashed, my phone line sucked, my comp blue screened a few times...what a night.

We all role played somewhat. A bard would be at Freeport Gates reading stories, Druids wouldn't kill animals, all Orgers spoke like Orgers (I thought that's how they all talked, like when you're drunk)...you get the idea....Guides were given quests and promoted in /broadcast. Massive arena duels were the win.

I am 36 now, I guess I was 25 at the time and a Staff Sergeant in the Army, I'm now a First Sergeant and still in the Army. And still playing EQ.

To the staff, thank you for making an awesome, while not perfect or exact, it's still an awesome expierience!

MATPHAT
10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Started April 1999. Rolled a Troll Shaman. Got lost in the swamp for about 12 hours.
Played till just after PoP came out.
Suddenly all my friends started raiding all the time and left me in the dust.
I'm a LAN style player and not having my crew with me got me burnt out quick.

eqravenprince
10-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I purchased Everquest March 20th, 1999. It was a Sunday, I went to my front porch, grabbed the paper and as usual I went straight to the Best Buy ad. I saw this game call Everquest and it came with a free cloth map. So I went to Best Buy and examined the box and decided what the heck, I was bored with the games I was playing at the time and bought it. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. I was hooked from the start.

Ploppy
10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I started playing about 4 months before Kunark was released. I was 22-23at the time. I've said it before, but thank you guys for all your work. I love Project1999

Cymeon
10-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I remember one christmas my brother in law bought me a copy of baldurs gate 2. I was so excited. I had never played video games all that much. We were both big into DnD and when baldurs gate was released (it may have even been bg1) it was the sickest game supposedly. Well I digress, with the copy of baldur's gate was included a printout of a receipt for EQ pre-order. I had no idea what EQ was at the time. He began telling me of the different combination of classes and races and how there was no storyline driven events, such as it was in DND or other games. There was no mod. It was just a whole new experience. I couldn't grasp the concept of a world that was never offline. Even when I was not playing, other people were. It amazed me.

That was my breakthrough into MMOs. I have yet to find the same experience with any MMO that I've played. I remember rolling my first char. A monk in freeport, using 2 rusty warhammers and cloth armor, with 400 copper thinking I was rich. I love you p99.

xaisk
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
My first char was a pally. I remember I thought it was a big feat to kill an orc pawn because my parents talked about dieing by them. I killed one then ran around the forest happy and exploring. Until I found an Orc Centurion and I got destroyed. Then my parents came home and I ran up to them screaming... I found a new orc type! it destroyed me in one hit!

E-Boog
10-15-2010, 07:31 PM
I started not long after Luclin came out. I suppose I was 23 or 24. I sort of "officially" quit back around the end of GoD, though I come back to live to check it out now and then after a new expansion.

Trademaster
10-15-2010, 09:09 PM
I purchased one of the very few Everquest/Kunark combination releases, and the last expansion I purchased was LDoN.

khazim
10-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I played on a friend's account right after EQ went live. I bought my own account once the EQ/Kunark box set came out

sgallaty
10-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I was a phase 2 beta tester. When I started, mages didn't have robes and could use rapiers and bucklers.

I was responsible for convincing a dev (Geoff?) to give shadowknights lifetap. I don't know if that was a worthwhile change or not.

My name back then was "Nox", and I got booted off of the secret beta boards for arguing with a dev. I think abashi ran that board, if I'm not mistaken and he later ran a public forum for eq before being hired by verant as a mouthpiece (that and to shut him up)

I sucked in beta, and for all the time I spent playing the game I was about the only one of all my friends who never managed to get anywhere. I spent so much time roleplaying, soloing and screwing around.

They tried - lord how they tried but I just never cooperatied.

My first 'serious' character that I actually levelled and raided with was an iks warrior, which I played from kunark beta to final and beyond.

AexDestroy
10-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Lol @ all the fake ass fools claiming they played since launch

Aicha
10-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Beta tested the last beta. Lost the next 3 years of my life after that. :p

FireEmblem86
10-26-2010, 02:03 AM
I beat SoL by a couple of months, as I recall. I had the game for longer, but my computer could only run the tutorial. I had to get a new computer before I could play.

Funny story: The tutorial would always crash after scribing a spell scroll, so when I made my first spell-casting character (Halfling Druid, cause that's what was suggested in the beginner's guide), I had no idea how to mem spells. I tried to open my spellbook in the middle of a fight.

Man, I miss the old tutorial.

Darklake
10-26-2010, 07:49 AM
A friend at work had been going on and on for months about this great game he'd found, with objects like "Bongo's Stick of Poking" and "Eric's Beard of Invincibility". At the time we were hardcore Quake 2 LAN players, so the idea of a "Half Elf Paladin" with the ability to "Lay on Hands" sounded a tad gay, to say the least :-)

He installed the game on his office PC and took me on a tour of LoIO, smacked a few goblins and I was hooked. I went out the next day and bought two copies of the Kunark box set, and that evening me and the wife ventured out into Gfay for the first time, me a wood elf druid and her a high elf enchanter. Later on that year when Velious was launched we had to phone round trying to find somewhere that had it in stock.

The wife lost interest after Shadows of Luclin, so I boxed her account up to LDoN, when financial constraints meant having to quit the monthly subscriptions.

Madigan
10-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Started playing on the Innoruuk server about a week after vanilla EQ went live. I was still in the Navy at the time and I saw this guy playing it in the barracks as I passed his room. A few questions later and I was at the store buying the game.

I played up until Luclin when I decided I'd rather use my Luclin CD as a coaster than play it anymore.

I love this server so far. It really has brought back some fond memories and provided me something fun to do in my free time.

Grobles87
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Do you recognize what role skill plays in performing your class's proper duties in solo/group/raid situations?

I wanted to reply to Zithax, me being new to the game. I could say I'm new even though I played for about 2 weeks back in 2003, but really, what's 2 weeks? Not much in this game IMO. So here I go:

1. I enjoy the game quite a lot. It's a very difficult game, however I find a great sense of satisfaction, especially when I level up. I feel as if I'm really accomplishing something out of hard work and dedication. Also, I'm having quite a lot of fun exploring the various zones. Recently I went from Qeynos to Freeport at lvl 11. It has probably been the scariest moment (and the most fun) in the game thus far. Knowing that any single thing can kill you AND knowing that if you die you level down is not to be taken lightly.
2. ATM I'm a level 12 Barb Shaman named Aldarion, part of the Bregan D'Aerth guild. Look me up if you want to group
3. I still haven't decided if I'm a casual or hardcore. I definetely don't play 24/7 but I've been playing like 7-10 hours a day, sometimes 6-7 more hours than those 7-10 when I'm at work. Yes, I play at work :) My intention is to become a hardcore player as I continue to lvl up. Definetely interested in doing end-game raiding when I reach max level.
4. I play WoW along with EQ, but I play mostly because of my g/f. She's not really interested in EQ, so I reach a middle ground and play with her. Other experiences include EQII back in 2004 (stopped playing after the trial month, just hated it), and FFXI.
5. Now this is the most important question I want to address. At starter levels, knowing what role you play is difficult. When you begin you don't know where you are, you don't know what to do. Great thing is that there's a great community that helps you in every corner. People here seem to understand that you're a newb and lead you in the direction you're supposed to go. That's especially true for understanding my class a little better. If such a community wasn't in place, I still would be at a loss about what to do with my class. As I understand it right now, Shamans can solo, though not especially well; and are very necessary in a group. All I've been doing right now is casting SoW/Strength and healing when grouping, but I hope that improves as I continue to lvl and get better spells. As I know nothing of raiding, I don't know what my role would be apart from casting buffs.

Hope this answered some of your questions Zithax. Any insight/help/tips would be appreciated concerning understanding the shaman class better.

vieirinho
11-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Kunark, on Innoruuk, highest level on /who all *lvl* was 54
Played a druid till 54(and never again)
65 Monk and 60 Necro were my mains
Didint play much post PoP, spent most of my time in the Baz
I remember zoning out of the baz with too much coin and traders satchels on me, fun stuff.

Found out about P1999 while reminiscing looking at youtube vids(thanks whoever! :D)

Hamlon
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
got the game on release back in the days when Lguk was the shit

Cribanox
11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I started in 99 when I was in 8th grade. I had a classmate tell me how much fun EQ was. He told me of all the dangerous areas and content. It sounded to me at the time like Zelda with levels (very little hardcore rpg experience at the time). I actually imagined it like a SNES game with a huge world (like SNES Zelda style graphics and monsters). Ever since then I've dreamed of a game exactly like EQ with snes/sprite graphics.

Anyway I started with some human character in Freeport on christmas 1999. I ended up getting lost in East freeport where the tents and stuff are. It was raining or foggy or something so I couldnt see shit. A GM eventually summoned me out of EFP after I was petitioning about it.

I eventually finally hit level 60 on a monk right before SoL was released.

Maldan
11-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Got a copy miraculously on the day of release. Made a monk in Freeport and got lost. Made a wood elf ranger and fell to my death x10. Made a half elf druid which I loved.
After Kunark came out my wife got interested so I gave her my account and rolled a halfling druid on a new account which is what I played through POP.

PaybackXero
11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Started playing quite a bit after Luclin. Never got farther than level 20, since I had no friends playing it. Maybe I'll get farther this time.

cowjosh
11-08-2010, 03:21 AM
I started late march or early april 99 (bought in late march, took a couple weeks to get it to like my voodoo 2) and played on Mith Marr

interestingly, i have gotten two people to start playing on this server who never actually played eq live -- i was concerned i may have the only "true" EQ newbs in the world on my hands until reading this survey haha

Zarniwooop
11-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I started in November 20001. I was never going to play EQ. I read the review of it and laughed along with the reviewer (silently) thinking "what a bunch of losers killing rats all day". I then went back to my Civ 2, HOMM, and Baldur's Gate never realizing what I was missing.

A few years later, I was sick and couldn't go to class for 3-4 days. An EQ trial disc arrived with PC gamer. I chucked it in a corner with disdain. Sunday at 10pm rolled around and I was bored out of my mind. I saw the disc lying there. Sighing, I popped it in the drive and decided I may as well see how pointless it all was for myself.

32 hours later (really), I sat back and said, out loud to no one, "I cannot believe someone made something this #!@#%^!@ cool."

That first 10 days on the trial server is the greatest gaming experience I've ever had, and I'm guessing that I will ever have. This server is the most fun I've had gaming since 2004 (when raiding became a second job in GoD). It will never recapture that first experience with EQ, but its still bloody good.

Edit: I played in a high end raiding guild and completed SoF by killing sleeper 2.0. Adding this since so many others did and its interesting to see when other people quit compared to when they started.

Wrynna
11-10-2010, 08:00 PM
i got a copy of EQ on my birthday on october 30th 1999. I had never played a PC game before . Had to get a new vid card and a couple other things ..was really hoping it was worth it. And it was!

first thing i saw when i arrived in halas was someone gating...looked so cool.I couldnt wait to get that spell.

~ Larkyn
justanotherdruid

Fourthmeal
11-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Stole a pal's account in 10th grade. Never looked bac

aztore
11-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I beta tested for the original Everquest back before kunark was even thought of... played on the Rathe server. Saw the last day of beta event where mithaniel marr fought against Innoruk in the East Commons was something that I will never forget.

Llabak
11-18-2010, 12:50 PM
I played Beta and kept at it through Vellious. Took some time off and then went to play DAOC.

Chanus
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Started in November 1999. Played all night and sat on Everlore and the EQ Forums all day at work. I was slightly obsessed.

Took a break shortly after Velious came out and came back right before PoP, then a break from GoD until just after DoDH. Quit for the last (most recent?) time about a year and a half ago. Was a Community Leader on the EQ Forums (yeah, I'm that Chanus if you were on the forums. no apologies :P ). EQ is hands-down the best game I've ever played.

Nice to give nostalgia a big whirl on this server, and many thanks to those who put it together. It may not be exactly like that first time I lost my corpse in Greater Faydark, but it's pretty nice.

t0lkien
11-19-2010, 11:19 PM
I started mid-Velious. It was and is still the best game I've ever played.

vid
11-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I rolled a Dwarf Warrior on a friends account (Quellious represent!) after release and instantly fell in love with the game. I bought my own copy shortly after that and moved to Lanys after it opened and played there until I quit after clearing PoP.

Classic EQ is still the best gaming experience I've ever had.

Beebo
11-27-2010, 02:37 PM
I started in may 1999...barbarian warrior. I made it to lvl 5 and continually got killed in the tunnel to BB cuz I'd get stuck on the rock every time...lol used to love it when a shaman would run by and light up my eyes...haha good times

Beebo

Phallax
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
First toon was a DE Wizard on Tunare, I started like a week before sol temple was released.

teganyavo
11-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I went to a buddy's house when I was ~12, and he made me a dark elf rogue, and bet me $1 I couldn't find the way to the forest before he got out of the shower. I lost $1 that day.

Magonian
12-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Yup ole timer did the 98 beta,,,

LordAlpha
12-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I had my EQ cherry popped on august 12th (ish) of 2009. A friend I met online gaming in a different venue told me about EQ and this free server, and convinced me to join. My first was a paly not a win. My second was a mage and I have 8 alts from that point.

LordAlpha
12-17-2010, 02:20 PM

I LOVE this game, it consumes my life.
Which toon ? avg 50- 30 caster/melee
Both depending on the day
Very little mostly text based browser games
YES, after being owned many many times by simple low level situations. I get it skill or go home.

Slaine
01-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I played it like a week after release on my bros account for about 3 hours then went out and bought it the next day.. was and still is my favorite MMO

Dyrkoon
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Started On Vallon 2 weeks after kunark was released
The next 6 years was all a blur ~

Vespur
01-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Been watching my step dad play since EQ classic... started playing around 2002 maybe earlier? ever since then been playing eq till today.. now looking to play the basics agian with my spare time in college since my computer cant hold EQ+expansions for live =p

Started with a druid on Sullon Zek, switched to Rallos Zek, then eventually all the pvp servers got merged to just Zek.. Pretty much all my family used to play, my mom, stepdad, bro, both step sisters, and step brother.. now its just me, my mom, and step dad...Mom is the leader of one of the top guilds on the pvp sever... i have many characters though.. 85 druid/85 warrior/85 shadowknight/70 wizard/70 necro/78 necro/67 rogue/ 65 beserker.. and thats just on Zek.. heh

Lookin forward to playing classic eq

http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/character_profile.vm?characterId=631360238790

Darkforge
01-17-2011, 09:49 PM
I remember when I first started EQ it was Aug. 1999. My friend called me over to his house and said to me "check this game out" I played it for about 15 min and i was hooked. I was lets see....15 years old and spent my money i saved up to get it. Also i was on AOL (ubor dialup) LOL. I made my Human Paladin. In Qenyos.

I will have to say, i had some of the best times i think i have ever had while playing EQ. I know it sounds nurdy but im sure there are some people that agree. . .

!!:D!!

Chanus
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Man, I can still hear the Earthlink chime when you'd log on. That sound always preceded the Everquest theme music for me.

Hehe... and relogging Earthlink repeatedly until I got a 56k connection instead of 33.6k :P

Sythyst
05-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Started EQ on the first week of its release in 1999. My friend and I were at times even sharing a 56k modem to play. I think we managed a few hours the first couple of weeks since the servers were down all the time.

Lloen
05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
My oldest brother got his copy for Christmas in 1999 and we started playing on dialup, he played to about level 14 before we all got to make our characters. My first character was a Dark Elf Warrior on Tunare server. His name was Nafed. I was 9 years old when I started playing. Played heaps for the following years, then after the game started going south, my interest waned. About the time EQ2 came out I was already done with the first one. Then my older brother wanted to start things up again probably in 2007, so I bought a copy of platinum and we somehow acquired a third account. I played a Wood Elf Ranger named Lloen up to about level 53 in the months following, then I started playing my druid Cagnazzo again, decked him out with new gear (as I'd stopped playing him around level 23 and he had NOTHING good) and got him up to about level 50 or so. I never capped any characters, but I had a lot of fun playing the ones I did play.

Favorite expansions were Kunark, Velious, LDoN, and Ykesha (Cause frogloks were so cool) Luclin wasn't TOO bad except the always-overkill Paludal Caverns, and the fact that it was the beginning of the end. PoP sucked really bad because it killed the porting economy. And the rest of the expansions just furthered EQs downward spiral into WoWdom.

I'm 20 now, and I'm really enjoying reliving the glory days when I have time between my job. :) Thanks to the P99 team.

DiamondDust
05-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Kunark... When I was like 7ish.
Amazing! Had a couple twink'd characters due to friends who played, and my step father.
Good stuff~

JenJen
05-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Half life deathmatch > everyone quit to play eq at launch > quit at PoP > google'd classic EQ last summer > further loss of social life :(

webrunner5
01-09-2012, 09:47 AM
I started in April of 2000. My son got me hooked. First toon was a SK. I was 53 years old at the time. ;) Was on the Torvo server.

I still play live also. Have a 90 Monk with 3600 + AA's as my main. Retired now, spend WAY too much time playing lol.

Flunklesnarkin
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I first played after kunark came out and quit a short time after velious came out.

Only character i play back then was a ranger and i was horrible at it lol.. thought i was a tank.. absolutely refused to use a bow xD...

people be like go pull.. i'd be like "NUUU!!! I'm tanking >:U"

Nother
01-09-2012, 05:13 PM
I played in 99, nearly took the game back when it asked me for a credit card... maybe i should have, but i enjoyed every min of it.

even the medding looking at a spell book and specialising my first main char .. a shaman to divination as i sensed animals on my 2 week camp of the glacial bear for the totemic helmit......all the Tw players on the nameless server who QQ at all the bala

Good times..

bingo01
01-12-2012, 05:38 PM
23rd september 1999 to 1st may 2008

Steaks
01-13-2012, 01:42 AM
what a carebear thread i almost shed a tear

jullieteq
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Hubby and I got on the day of the original release! ;) We had to jump through so many hoops in order to get it working because we were on dial up, lol. Good times. :)

Zeyk
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
March 16th 1999 on Fennin Ro.

Met my eventual wife in Everquest. Been with her ever since.

Riatsila
01-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Don't remember exactly when..if I still played on Live I'd have to check there to see my main's Birthdate. Pretty sure it was early 2000, I was 12 or 13 (I know it was a while before Kunark, if nothing else).
I rolled up my Human Ranger (In retrospect, I used my stat points terribly) on my older brother's account (such a scofflaw!). Had a heckuvva time even trying to get out of Surefall Glade by the light of "a candle" as my only lightsource.
Finally make it out, and I see the rolling Qeynos Hills before me. The start of a new adventure (The first sight of that place is something I wish I could experience again..it was amazing!) I start wandering to explore this new land for the very first time. I go to my left to see what I can see. A vast land full of possibilities, a world of ancient ruins to explore, treasures to win, monsters to figh--

You have been slain by a Dread Corpse.

medievalerror
01-21-2012, 01:55 PM
I picked up a copy of The Hobbit at the high school library. My brother in law (then my sister's boyfriend) told me if I liked the Hobbit I should try EQ, since it had halflings, trolls, dragons, etc. I picked it up shortly after Kunark came out, and played on Prexus. Of course, it took me forever to choose my first character, playing most of the classes for at least a level or two. I finally settled one a dark elf wizard (Ravenlok Von`Croft) in June of 2000. I remember really wanting to get into the storyline of my character, who I decided was banished from Neriak after killing a guard in self defense. I followed up by ruining my Neriak faction and building one up in Qeynos (handing in snake skins). I quit around level 32 or so (wasn't at all happy with PoP, which pretty much gave everyone the ability to port and just made the game too easy), but returned in 2006 after trying out an Iksar SK on the Test server. Got Xarsith up to level 65 before I stopped playing again in 2007. Love being back!

Ruenaros
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
1998 sometime :P phase 4 beta! Still have my CD somewhere...

Sinlea
01-25-2012, 01:47 PM
phase 3 beta!

mefdinkins
02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
I would be interested in seeing when people stopped playing, if they did.

I started during classic - played into velious into velious and retired before luclin came out.

Yukahwa
03-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I first retired when POP came out but then came back for more until item loot left RZ entirely.

Galaa
03-13-2012, 04:18 AM
i joined the beta briefly, but didnt actually play on launch day due to not living in USA.

Only managed to get a copy of EQ on May 1999.

troubleclef
03-13-2012, 08:31 AM
I started up late kunark, before velious came out. my first character was masteryoshi, which had to be renamed ( since it contained a title in it ) to Moochi, the half elf druid on cazic thule. lots of fun, with gamma all the way down in qeynos hills.

Xiara
03-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I started in beta 3. Like others here, I still have the CD! I only played through Velious, though.

Iwar
03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Rolled up my first char, dwarf war, in beta phase 4 on the Rathe.

vakthiis
03-31-2012, 08:56 AM
my sis got this game in 99' and i totally hi jacked it

was on house arrest entire summer being 14 and 15 yrs old back to back EQ got me throu

i remember i finally had red dragonscale BP and some other coo items, think i had sebilite leggings turned 16 and got put in a friggin group home

p99 was pretty lee7 going throu, dream come true

batkiller
04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
I never even heard of it, but my friend somehow found out about it and started playing it. Then he told me to get it, and I joined. It was 1999 and I think the game had been out for around a month or so. So I was there pretty much from the start. It turned out to be the best gaming experience I have ever had.

I enjoyed it up until Luclin and then my interest started waning. Then PoP came along and I hated how uber guild focused it had become and how even though I paid for the expansion, I couldn't even see most of it unless I started getting flagged for this and flagged for that, etc.. Most of which just wasn't even possible for my nice little family style guild. I quit and never returned.

Alelo
04-22-2012, 10:33 AM
I was 14 years old, it was November of 1999. I had read about Everquest on its main site, god I loved the original site with the music playing and everything. I had decided on what race and class to play, so that when I finally saved up enough money to buy it and convinced my parents to let me use their credit card, I got it. I was the youngest of three, so I generally got to play new games last, but this time, I said "I picked the game, I paid for it, and I'm going to be paying the $10 a month to my parents, I'm going first."

I created Alelo, the Wood Elf Druid who promptly died of a fatal fall. Oh Kelethin (I was a little disappointed when I started here next to the PoD, but loving it so far!). So my hour of play time had finished and it was my brother's turn to play. He created a Dark Elf Shadowknight. He had finally found his way out of the maze city Neriak when I let him know his hour was up, he glared at me as if though I was a demon out to steal his soul. I let him play for a little more (turns out our oldest brother wasn't interested). Since he was going to be off to school a couple of hours away and my oldest brother not playing, I had the game all to myself.

I eventually remade my druid and named the new incarnation Aleloh. I remember how I moved items from the original to the new one, finding a safe spot away from people and dropping everything on the ground :D. I had joined a guild by then in 2000, Azure Guard on Veeshan, the only guild I had ever been a part of in EQ and I stayed in it until I quit for good in 2004. In fact, if I were to log into EQLive with either my druid or beastlord, they'll still have that tag on their head. Thinking about my history in EQ made me realize, I never actually got to the level cap with my druid, despite playing it for the better part of two years (I got to 50 or late 40s, don't remember). In December, 2001 when Shadow of Luclin came out, I switched mains to a Vah Shir Beastlord. I LOVED the Beastlord, absolutely loved it. I was a fan of LDoN and its dungeons, but my interested had started waning. By the release of GoD, I had pretty much stopped enjoying the game. Shortly after OoW and not playing for weeks at a time, I cancelled my account for good.

I remember little tidbits of my time in EQ way back when. I was in South Karana and seeing it filled with people, then RoK was released and it was empty. I remember losing *two* levels on a spectacularly bad day in LoIO. The first time I stepped on the snow covered continent of Velious and seeing the gigantic bridge in Iceclad Ocean. My brother coming home from college with a binder full of Casters' Realm printouts and EQAtlas printouts.

Danyelle
04-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Started EQ as a shitty ranger in 1999 at 10 or so years old. Couldn't focus on anything at that age. Spent the entire Classic-Kunark-Velious expansions basically just killing greens in Blackburrow because it was fun and I had some sort of fascination with Gnolls (Still love em).

Didn't really start playing (AKA it didn't take over my life) until I saw a mage with a gnoll pet (Monster Summoning) running around South Karana. Camped and rerolled a mage. Been one ever since. This was within the first week or two of Luclin.

So I suppose for me, technically since Classic, legitimately since Luclin.

zaraax
04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Sorry Batkiller but paying for the game doesn't entitle you to high end zones.... that requires effort. I played maybe March 1999 through till I retred when they put hosuing in the game with House of Thule in 2010. I made a b-line straight for p1999. First character was my high elf cleric (why did i do that?) who eneded up being my main and kept him as an active raider for many years. i raided pretty much everything to PoP. Yes, the high end raid guilds controlled it, but let's be honest..we worked our keisters off flagging, so imho we earned the right. He ended up continuing to raid till 80 then it got silly with guild politics so i retired him and rolled a rog who continued on till 86 till i retired him. Why did I choose to roll a cleric again? because im insane I guess...

Dakliq3
04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
For whatever reason, whatever the poll, I always seem to be part of the 2 percentile. Am I doing something wrong or right here???

serpentiz
05-02-2012, 12:46 AM
Started right after Kunark was released, made a human wizard, died about 18 times before I said "I hate this game!" A couple months later, my sister asked me to give it a try again, made an Iksar Shaman, and since then, I've never truly left the game, I take a lot of extended hiatuses, but always seem to come back eventually.

sooperlovin
05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
started at release. all I have are constant memories of trains in BB and MM and OAsis

Wakichoto
05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
A couple weeks after launch, my whole family jumped in. I remember running into freeport as an Ogre warrior with no knowledge of factions, I never got that body back.

Wolfgang
05-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Like this if you are playing from 2013.

ravensloss
06-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I started right after luclin, its nice to be able to go back and see what eq was like during its first few years, and watch it grow tward the game i fell inlove with back then. That music in kelethin will pull you into the game so deep. you cant see daylight anymore.

Meesh
06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I remember making a wood elf warrior on my friends PC who just got EQ just after Velious was out. . . . I remember putting lots of points into charisma. . . . . it sounded reasonable for a noobie trying to make money hahaha....

Most of my time playing that character (only got to level 5) was spent in the tunnel begging for handouts. There were some generous players . . . =)

Grizzled
06-18-2012, 10:50 AM
I started mid kunark. Made a high elf cleric. Got to about 15 and headed off to the commons for my first trip to EC. The chat spammed by so fast, it seemed. It was a surreal experience. Then next thing i knew, people were just giving me stuff. I was like" this game is great people help each other out". then i met a friend of mine and we discovered I was a female high elf. I never saw the male/female tab. It was a good laugh. Being a female toon got me free stuff.

Theta
08-05-2012, 01:58 PM
My older brother got into EQ when I was in 5th grade because of a few of his friends. We shared an account for about a year before he drifted away from the game, and the account effectively became mine.

Some of my best memories from middle school involved playing EQ with my friends, especially when Kunark was released. My dad had just upgraded us from dial-up to cable, and it became something of a new game because of it. I remember the Kunark box came with that cloth map that I held onto for many years and is now probably somewhere crumpled up in my attic, sadly. I also remember getting the official Kunark strategy guide for my birthday. Looking back on it, I'm not sure why anyone would want a watered-down EQ strategy guide...

One of my fondest memories was during Kunark era, I believe, when there was an event in Qeynos Hills that filled the zone with mass amounts of undead, including massive skeletons. We were all like level 9 so we just kind of ran around dying over and over, hoping to get some free stuff from the lvl 60's that began filling the zone. The utter mystery and fear that originally made this game so epic has waned a bit.

My main was a 65 high elf enchanter on Cazic-Thule named Yuroshi.

EVocati
08-19-2012, 04:36 AM
I started playing EQ about 2 months after it went live and got my first account in October of the same year. Veteran all the way.

Kevynne
08-19-2012, 12:18 PM
I started mid kunark. Made a high elf cleric. Got to about 15 and headed off to the commons for my first trip to EC. The chat spammed by so fast, it seemed. It was a surreal experience. Then next thing i knew, people were just giving me stuff. I was like" this game is great people help each other out". then i met a friend of mine and we discovered I was a female high elf. I never saw the male/female tab. It was a good laugh. Being a female toon got me free stuff.

pree much my sole reason for rolling female toons.
plus most male avatars SUCK.

Nirgon
08-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Got a mage to lvl 8 on the Tunare server. Found my way into Lavastorm, died to a pair of red con fire elementals while burning down a fire drake.

Decided I wanted a wizard and the fact I couldn't attack other players (hey I was a dark race) was kinda gimp.

From there? I logged into Rallos Zek for what was undoubtedly the most unique and best experience I think I'll ever have in an MMO.

diplo
08-28-2012, 04:59 PM
i saw my brother play this game on our shitty 56k when i was like 11 years old. my first glimpse - he was in qhills at night time and it looked damn frightening...he let me hit the 1 key to kill a large bat. i thought the game was dumb.

2 weeks later, he made me an erudite mage and brought him to qeynos and i thoroughly enjoyed killing fire beetles, rats, etc...I got him to lvl 20, got a robe of the elements and went to oasis, then our 56k couldn't handle it anymore so we quit til we got cable a few years later...still a fond memory.

Kevynne
08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
nice xD

choklo
09-02-2012, 01:34 PM
I started on the first week of August 1999 on the Brell Server. I picked it since it was the top of the list. It was the best game I had every played, and my first MMO. I quit after PoP, but EQ will always be my first love MMO.

Kevynne
09-08-2012, 02:22 PM
i picked veeshan, it was last on list and it had a cool anem ;3

lolondar
10-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Beta my mom was part of it and I played then was lolondar of immy forever was 8 or 9 first time lol

kriton
10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
As a vet eq player remembering where everthing is is fun and all the things we killed and did.

Telin
10-24-2012, 12:46 AM
I started in January 2000. My first experience was with a human paladin. I got to 22 on that one. I had some high level druid named Hannah buff me at Blackburrow and then she gave me some axe that i thought was awesome. Eventually she ended up on another account to restart her druid because she messed up on her original stats at character creation. I can't believe she wanted to go through all 50 levels again over that!

I was lucky, though, she gave me her old account so I went from level 22 to a level 51 druid. I wasn't very good at her, and ended up binding myself near the lady vox raid. After I died, i realized i was bound where an ice giant spawned. He killed me like 5 times. I lost my level. I had to shut computer off to avoid another death LOL. After that I did little things like show off to the newbies (which i was secretly still one) and buffing them, and soloing sand giants in front of them of course.

Caso
10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
My main was born 21spetember 1999, got more then 440 days on him when i finlay quited few month after Underfoot.

Krysttal
01-15-2013, 02:39 AM
I started actually playing in Feburary of 1999 with my husband at the end of the beta. We were 19, out of high school with nothing to do. Which means we went to college lol.

Been on live up until about 3 weeks ago when we found out about P99.

Eschaton
01-15-2013, 03:37 AM
I started in February 1999 as well. I remember being so excited getting the beta disk in the mail. Good times :)

LetTheWookieWin
02-10-2013, 12:56 AM
I bought the game at future shop in september of 1999, rolled a dwarf cleric and went nuts on Prexus. My friend had suggested the game after finding out I had played meridian 59. I was also a big fan of MUDs and we had both played those.

Eventually ended up in a guild called Unity, but had many friends in Keepers of the Faith as well. Best early memories:

a full suit of banded armor at level 9, looting dawnfire after kunark came out, and hitting 51 with 2 different characters when kunark was released nearly instantly.

Also I remember how satisfying it was to destroy the planes after we suffered so hard raiding them with the level 50 cap. Good times

Lindsay Carouselle
02-10-2013, 02:23 AM
I remember being at Electronics Boutique learning about this new online gaming thing and the guy working there had said the Ultima Online box I was holding would do fine, though he suggested I try this game called "EverQuest" because it was growing in popularity and I might like it.

Despite my dial-up connection and garbage computer, I was able to play.

First death: falling in the water outside the casters' area in South Qeynos and drowning because I couldn't figure out how to swim.

Toehammer
02-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I remember it was in 1998, and I read a sort of sneak peak in PC Gamer of Everquest. It mentioned that it was basically D&D minus the stupid dice (awesome!) and a totally open world. But the line that really got me was that in the world, they said that "each raindrop exists" and is rendered individually and that if someone shot a fireball across a harbor, you would see the same trajectory but from your vantage point. For some reason those two things got me really intrigued... maybe the level of detail or something.

At the end of the article there was something about a "Beta Test" and I had no idea wtf that meant, but I sent in a letter, and several weeks/months (cannot remember) later my dad said, "something arrived for you in the mail today" and I had no idea what it could be, but opened it and saw a plastic sleeve with an EQ beta CD inside. I was like OMFG, installed it, but the beta wasn't starting for a couple days, so I played the tutorial with Soandso probably 10 times.

When the beta server launched, I made a barbarian warrior named Korlaorf and unintentionally discovered the polar bear skin armor. We all had theories about how killing the polar bears with clubs gave you undamaged skins, so tons of barbarians were wielding clubs haha. Nobody really understood the power of grouping and downtime, so most people just rolled solo. I was about level 10 and thought I was totally badass because I got a sharpening stone from somebody coming from the the Qeynos area and made a TARNISHED two handed sword. Full tattered/rawhide armor too!

Then this level 30 something ranger zones into Blackburrow one day dual-wielding minotaur battle axes and wearing ring mail, and we all thought he must be a god. He started handing out minotaur battle axes and we were so sad that it was the last day of beta.

He told me about "Ice Giants" way past the frozen river in Everfrost and I got a SoW and invis from a shaman to go check it out. Well, I wondered how tough they were so I shot an arrow at them, and a couple came after me. I sprinted all the way back to Halas, but people were trying to engage the IGs en route. I stopped and saw a bunch of people getting mauled by the ice giants, and a couple people tried to focus on one... but there is not much level 10-20s can do to an IG.

I think a couple hours before the beta ended I sold all my gear and bought booze in Halas to get my alcohol tolerance up, since characters weren't being transferred to live. I also believe I put all my starting points into stamina, thinking that it would raise my resistance to the elements or something haha.

When live hit, I made a Dwarf Warrior named Toehammer. Butcherblock and Everfrost are still my two favorite newbie zones.

The most fun I ever had in EQ is playing a dwarf paladin in Unrest and accidentally finding the bookcase to go down into the basement and getting blasted by a festering hag. A week later we made it to the ghost... got me a sweet set of boots. However, opening weekend on Red 99 was a close close second in terms of pure fun to the exploration of Unrest prekunark.

That first time playing though, stepping on that ferry in halas and seeing the huge size of Everfrost Peaks was magical. The sound effects with the snow crunching while running was just too much immersion... I looked up and saw that indeed every snowflake fell with its own trajectory... HOOKED!

Starrla
02-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Started in 2000 and the biggest break I took was when I went on vacation. Made all the newb mistakes like running into the DE in commonlands and being flattened before I even knew what hit me. Also delt with all the bugs, IE, getting picked up from the F.V. dock and slammed on the front of the boat as it left Firona Vie only to jump into the water and gate back to the dock (*whew* glad I had just bound to the dock). The crazy Plane of Fear break ins, the PoP rathe council of a full raid of 72 ALL mains. The good memories I have only vets can appreciate I believe. Not many folks these days would put up with all the inconviences and qwarks we delt with in the game back then but man they were FUN times! :)

chatgirl
02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
I remember the first time I played. My dad had an account since release I started playing on it maybe a couple months later I was like 7 or 8 I think. My brother was playing on it aswell. But the first thing I remember doing was running around freeport on my brothers character tossing all his items on the ground lol. Around 3 months later my dad got me my own account where I started a necro on Xegony and transfered with my family from Xegony to Seventh Hammer when they opened it. By the time I was 13 I was playing just about all day lol I was home schooled so I had alot of extra time.

I remember my first trip from freeport to butcherblock to where I got murdered on the sister isle and lost my corpse in the water when your corpse would fall off when it zoned lol.

Such fun times

galvaunis
02-11-2013, 07:07 PM
got it on my 11th birthday a few days before luclin dropped, and cried because I could only play at my moms house, first couple years i made a new character everytime i was at my moms house and slowly learned the ropes

LuckyLuciano
02-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I remember the glory days, when whipper snapper rogues weren't all running around with Ragebringers and the community was bubbling with young future gamers like myself running around with their rusty halberds and tattered armor.... Ahh.

I joined right after Kunark was released, my cousin and I first rolled 2 dwarf warriors (what a combo). I remember his brother had played it, and we shrieked at the fact that one must pay 10$ a month to play this. Had never heard of such nonsense at the time, and the only real games I came from was text based rpgs & Simtower (haha).

Alas, our two dwarves rolled (literally) out of Kaladim and started hacking away at goblins and skeles. I remember a dark elf group coming into Kaladim shortly after, and proceeded to raid the hidden castle in Kaladim killing Npcs (this was before the Guildmasters were uber nerfed rediculously). I remember following the high lvls around, picking up the bronze weapons and such of my fallen comrades.

With a bronze halberd and some shitty overpriced ringmail pieces I bought from the merchant at the forge, my cousin and I took the boat from the BB docks to freeport. I remember seeing the Freeport docks and getting so excited I jumped off the boat, only to be face to face with a big ass shark by the docks and a dark elf beside it.

Before I knew it I was fighting the shark, and the dark elf pounded me like newfish in prison. My cousin tried to avenge me and died a pitiful, though glorious death.

When I look back on these days I remember the excitement, the wonders of exploring a new world and just the sense of fear I had running from giants and spectres. My cousin was banned shortly after for training Hill Giants to the Oasis docks, and after he left I ended up leaving soon after, only to come back a few months down the road and re roll.

This process happend repeatedly from the ages 13-18.

Glad to be back in Norrath... the real experiences will stay with the Xev server :)

Ocura
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
About a month before the relase of Kunark. I recall vivadly my guildies alt group busting a gut when I ran like hell from the lizard that popped up in Crushbones castle. I had no clue about kunark coming out lol!

Pend
03-05-2013, 04:28 PM
EQ ended up in the local newspaper because its launch congested the major internet backbones going into San Diego and caused a short outage for almost the entire city, if I remember correctly. I picked it up just as Velious was released because my brother had gotten into it and I was looking for a new RPG. To be honest, the thing that originally turned me off on buying it until then was the name--it sounded so corny and childish that I didn't consider it a "serious" RPG until I started playing it. Then I was instantly hooked. :)

Luclin so completely jumped the shark that it really kinda ruined the experience for me. I stayed on until the expansion after it, though, almost entirely because I got a partial CH healing spell on my druid with Luclin (seriously).

Luthandrias
03-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Started back in June of 1999. Me and 5 other of my friends would pile into a small room with a slow computer (333mhz processor) and waste time hailing everything and talking to NPC's thinking they were real people. The horizon never seemed to end and the adventurous spirit of the game was amazingly magical. No maps, slow boats and long hold-overs made it so real. The game was so raw it felt authentic, the risks were so great that it really did feel like you were your character as you explored dangerous territory with your heart beating in your chest. Long live EQ.

omegadot
03-18-2013, 08:26 PM
I started slightly before Kunark and really never got the chance to play consistently past the 20s due to funds/internet problems as I was 14 or 15 at the time when I started. This is a great chance to have that chance again.

sadawe
03-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Started in Beta, rolled out a blind erudite magician then tried to get him to Qeynos via boat
now that was impossibility at the time since boats were broken, you actually had to run with the boat to the zone line or you would be fish food.

aahh those were the good old days..

Zalora
04-22-2013, 06:19 PM
My first experience with EQ is with this server. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't been playing for decades.

When I don't know something about something in the game sometimes people get frustrated that I don't know about it or even think I'm trolling.

Sadre Spinegnawer
05-01-2013, 10:45 PM
my memory is, summer of 99, fiddlinjg around with the char creation, finally deciding on a dark elf, and spending my first day -- as in, probably 3-4 hours -- lost in Neriak, wondering what I was supposed to even do in this game. I was pure newb. I loved it. Being an old D&D player, I knew the gist, but I loved the fact I couldn't even find my way out of my home city. I was hailing guards, merchants, you name it. I never looked at any online sites for like 5-6 months. It was pure trial and error. Lots and lots of error.

And I loved it.

Thaeryn
05-27-2013, 07:16 AM
I started on Tunare summer of 2000 just after RoK was released. I made a necro named Uaelin and a druid named Thaeryn. I was 20 at the time and until 2002 I spent the majority of my time in Norrath. I still don't know how I managed to finish school.

So many memories. Some great. Some not-so-great. I'm excited to get started again, and I'm hoping to reconnect with some old friends. Thank you to the devs for putting this all together.

Grampy
05-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Started out sharing an account with a buddy who picked up the game shortly after it came out. We played on the Tunare server. I was an ogre shaman. When whispers of PvP servers started echoing through the playerbase I decided it was time to snag my own copy of the game. I started playing on the Tallon Zek server the day it went live and remained there until Sullon Zek launched. I waffled back and forth between the Tallon and Sullon until I quit playing around 2003 or so.

Vaildez
05-29-2013, 04:45 PM
My Friend and his GF bought me EQ for my birthday back in 1999 and I had the game shelved for like 6 months since I was in High School with no income to pay the monthly till I took my parents CC eventually and started playing :D. I started my first character a warrior named "Gafgoron" on Erollisi Marr and died in the pool in Halas within my first few min of playing.

ripwind
05-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Bought Everquest classic for myself as a coping gift back in February 2000. I broke up with my then-high school sweetheart, and the game sucked me right in. I had a few friends who had been playing since beta/launch and I made a wood elf druid (Innere Nacht) on Fennin Ro. Soon after, I think Fennin and Solusek merged into Druzzil Ro. I remember struggling just to get leather armor back then, and what a pain it was to get (or make) a bow and arrows.

I played off and on, splitting my time between EQ and Dark Age of Camelot before WoW came out. Had a 70 Necromancer, 65 Druid, and countless 50's and 40's by the time I quit. I still think classic, Kunark, and Velious were my favorite eras.

Korisek
05-30-2013, 01:21 AM
My first was post-SOL, pre-POP, but I wasn't allowed to get any expansions, so I played Classic, Kunark, and Velious content exclusively for several years.

...Funnily enough I think my interest started waning about the time I started buying expansions.

My Friend and his GF bought me EQ for my birthday back in 1999 and I had the game shelved for like 6 months since I was in High School with no income to pay the monthly till I took my parents CC eventually and started playing :D. I started my first character a warrior named "Gafgoron" on Erollisi Marr and died in the pool in Halas within my first few min of playing.

Ha! My very first death came from my warrior using the beg skill on a random merchant, and then me wondering why everyone in the city suddenly wanted to murder me.

sacman08
07-05-2013, 09:59 AM
I started playing in June of 1999. I had just got back from traveling for work, and I had met someone at the meetings that was already playing EQ. He told me some facts about it, that it had thousands of players all playing together and how big it was, so after I got home I bought it and was hooked. I don't blame Verant for cashing out to Sony but I wish they had continued with developing the game. I think we would have ended up with a very different EQ that what the game became after Sony intervention.

Spc_Scott
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Shared an account with my roommate pre-Kunark for a while and after leveling a druid to about 25 or so on Cazic Thule and then I got my own account. Played until Luclin. Some friends told me about how much the game had changed over the years and so I tried it again in late 2010 or so. Found it on sale on Steam for really cheap and it was just too different for me. I started here just a little while ago.

Laugher
08-03-2013, 04:05 AM
For me EQ was a few years into my Diablo 2 career. There was a trial disc that came with my rl buddys comp (Kughuk) and we started in late 2002/early 2003, in PoP era. Someone else we knew had already played so I grabbed his acc and began on Prexus. Neither of us owned PoP so we rode boats for our first month lol, that was probably the most fun I had. Freeport was my starting place for sure, played until just after the release of DoD and was in Legion of Kings (Luciferi DE necro and Freija wood elf rogue respectively).

I'd say my heyday was when we finally downed RZ on live, our guild wasn't too geared by that point (still doing VT in GoD/Omens era) took about 130 people (2 raids) for our guild to down him haha

Overall though I really liked our early days taking the boats around and mostly leveled in old world zones with my first guild (Honor Over All) with a necro named Zealen, that guy was the first to show me BW and DL for fear kiting hehe. :D

*edit* shoutout to some people I remember from Prexus haha (if any of ya ended up here): Haroskilius, Hugar, Zealen, Qanara, Saellaven, Bloodfrenzy, Andru, Mazyr/Weneran/Pwaog

Shift
08-03-2013, 11:19 AM
I found out about EQ when i was in Middle School i met this friend of mine, stayed over night at his house for the first time, these friends of mine was rich had play station, Dream cast when it came out. A little later on after dinner he started up his computer and i heard this alluring music I was that sounds awesome, i was like in a trance.
i asked him what game is this , He said it was Ever Quest Back in almost Beta Era 98
he had a Dark Elf Shadow Knight , out of all the games at that time this one had me at hello , I started a Dark Elf Shadow Knight also the city of Neriak was mysterious
So if you your out their David Radford Thank You for introducing me this Beautiful World as we know it as Ever Quest
First Characters
Darksider Shadow Knight Dark Elf Server Fenni Ro
My Own Copy i got later that week
Shift Human Paladin - The Tribunal Retired/forced to delete ;o(
2nd Character Heartwarmer Half Elf Bard - The Tribunal
3rd Character Darkmystic Eudrite Wizard - The Tribunal
I played until 2009 or when SoD expansion came out and then quit
Main Kinloda 80th Berserker Barbarian Epic 2.0 -Raid Geared Nicely. Eq Live

I found P99 accidently trying to find free EQ or games or something close to it
it said EQ Emulator i was like wtf is that. Webster Dictionary Explained what Emulate meant.
So since 2010 i have been a proud member of p99 community.

Shout outs to Rollin,Wooly,Gilgmesh,Shyfox, from The Tribunal Server.

Faerie
08-03-2013, 04:24 PM
A friend of mine showed me EQ, early 2000. He was a kid in a lighty raiding guild, and his guildmates seemed to think he was much older than he was :P

I bought it to play with him around then, I was 13. Once I got into the Vallon Zek politics though, I chose to KoS my friend and kill his lighty friends. Took a while to get up to 52 to attack them, but once I got up there that's exactly what I did.

We later dated while killing each other's guildies.

Acidon
08-08-2013, 03:35 AM

Same. The Kunark box made me take another look at this "online game" called EverQuest that I had seen the year before. I had money in my pocket and said F it. Aaaand the rest is history.

Got my Father addicted to have someone to play with (none of my friends even knew how to use computers, yet alone play a freakin' game on one. Myself, I've been into computers since the Commodore 64 Anyway. Then got my (then) wife addicted so that I could play more often. Ahhh good times of MMO addiction. Yeah, I don't miss that. lol

Anyway..:D

Servellious
08-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Real life friends introduced me to EQ, our groups rule was never to read online forums or maps and figure stuff out about the game, everything had to be an adventure and an experience.

Ahhh good times, only thing i regret is leveling in piss poor places.

xassis
08-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Having been born in 1990, I was a little too young to play Everquest back in '99 sadly, but I did get around to doing loads of chores to start playing shortly after the release of Scars of Velious. I remember creating a Human Shadowknight, and dying to a train of decaying skeletons within five minutes of creating him. Good times.

dbouya
08-11-2013, 01:04 AM
I started playing in december 1998 during closed beta when the lead developer ran around in game in a set of green plate armor and the wood elf starting area regularly had hunderds of players in it :)

Oeconomia
08-25-2013, 08:17 PM
I am an age 40+ player, and cannot find the guide to get me playing the game. Please help. There are no obvious links to download a client or how to get in game. Please help. I want to help and play.

Masakizt
08-25-2013, 08:26 PM
I am an age 40+ player, and cannot find the guide to get me playing the game. Please help. There are no obvious links to download a client or how to get in game. Please help. I want to help and play.

Not really the place to post this question, you can try the Technical Discussion sub forum, or just check out this link to the 'Getting started' section: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

Feel free to PM if you have any questions also

Good luck and welcome to p99

susvain0362
09-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Cmon, everyone started in classic? I just dont see it, i think people are not voting truthfully for a strange reason

JackHarper
09-24-2013, 06:43 PM
My father introduced me to the game in the summer of 2004, so during Gates of Discord. Made a Froglok Pally and loved it. This was back when the Frogloks had control of Grobb; I clearly remember killing snakes for the first time in Innothule Swamp. Great times back on Fennin Ro.

Dragr
09-25-2013, 11:34 PM
August 1999, a Half Elf Ranger in Surefall. My guild leader one shotted me when I typed A. I moved the auto attack button quick. Most memorable was first time in Black Burrow, same character. Bodies piled up like cordwood, that was players bodies. The first time I heard those puppies snarl, my hair actually stood on end. First Real CR was in the Gorge, trying to get to Misty. There was a group fighting Minos and they helped me recover my body and invised me for the rest of the run through Runnyeye.

mtb tripper
09-29-2013, 09:08 PM
surefall was lots of fun

Altair
10-17-2013, 01:51 AM
Was in 989 beta test, got my beta CD signed in SanDiego. so not a nub and I love this 1999 server. wish I could find more Ole Buds from rodset-nife/quell. e njoy

stormlord
10-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Started in March 1999. I honestly don't remember where I bought it or how I happened to buy it so early.

Maybe if I got hypnotized I could remember. Funny thing is, I remember other memories around that time and it's so strange because they seem so recent yet EQ seems so old to me. For example, i can remember going to school in 1997-98 and it seems more recent than EQ somehow.

And btw I still recommend people stop playing p1999 and come to live instead or just do something else. IMHO, staying at p1999 is playing with fire because at any moment they could try to shut it down. Bottom line, they own eq and unless they give an official nod at p1999 none of us should be here.

I'ts a pain to see all this since so much work (successful I might add) is put into it.

Laledorie
10-24-2013, 09:01 AM
I love getting to read about everyone's first experiences with EQ! Reading these back stories is a great way to pass the medding time! =)

I was never what you would call a "gamer"... I didn't even own a computer or console in 1999. But then I met a boy, and he had lots of video games! Being a teenager in "love", I'd sit and watch him play video games for hours. I didn't show an interest in any of them until one day I saw him playing EQ. He was running around in Kunark and I started asking questions... "Why's that cactus thing walking around? What's the deal with that bird/chicken thing?" Then he started talking about the game and I became more and more interested... He saw a spark of interest and pounced!

I begged my parents for a computer and was lucky enough to get one (I know, I know - I was spoiled and lucky). Previously mentioned boyfriend took me to Gamestop and I purchased my very own copy of EQ! I remember feeling like it took foreverrrr to install the game, then I remember being super disappointed when I realized I wait to wait even longer for it to patch. Dial up was a bitch! >.<

I made my first character which was a high elf Enchanter and played that only till about level 7. I decided to make a human Druid and that was my main until I stopped playing in 2004 to play WoW. I've played many games since EQ but nothing ever really gave me that feeling.

I can't remember exactly how I came across P99 but I knew the minute I discovered it I had to try it out! I figured it'd be pretty buggy and not many people on. I mean, what kind of nerds want to play a 14 game regularly right? ;-) I was pleasantly surprised to find nearly 1000 regular players every day! How crazy is that?!

I'll never get over that fluttering feeling in my stomach when I hear the old school EQ music, the thrill of making your first character and running around in the newbie zone, the joy of meeting people in game and building friendships. I'm proud to say I'm one of those nerds that plays a 14 year old game regularly! =D

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of the people that work so hard to make this server what it is! You guys are awesome!

myxomatosii
10-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Started Kunark, just before Velious launch. I can remember hearing about people being in places I couldn't go, and that puzzled me. Nevermind, they told me that was for people higher than level 30 anyway, and I didn't think I'd ever even make it there. Below is a copy/paste and the best job I've done of recollecting my EQ history.

A Beginning: Vallon Zek
On live I started up on Vallon but never made it much past 10, played a few random named chars and enjoyed the intensity of sitting at the freeport gates at lvl 6 while lvl 5-10 dark elves and ogres would hide/invis and jump you when you tried to leave, prompting freeport to respond leading to epic battles. Really, its the first time in a game where I seriously felt like I was *in* the game, fighting to stay alive. I recall sitting around Boomba the big and on the parapets above the gates with my fellow wizards, mages, warriors, and other hopefuls setting forth strategies to rid the town of the nuisance. But that didn't last long! For I began to grow curious of what other PvP realms existed..

A Transition: Rallos Zek
Thus began my time on Rallos Zek. A young monk named Prok. Naive, some might even say stupid. Looking back now, I would most certainly say stupid. Nonetheless I began my journey, playing EQ every other weekend nonstop. With such a schedule I didn't have the capacity to maintain friends, though I tried. Autumndazed Winterhazed, one of my first friends I met in LOIO advanced beyond me quickly, each weekend I'd log in to see him head and shoulders above where he was in our prior encounters. We didn't stay in touch.

Youth: The Scam
I worked my way up, level by level, weekend by weekend. Sharing the computer with my brother who spend the entirety of his time on Tallon Zek. I began to explore Dalnir in pursuit of the elusive Crescent Armor and the fabled Fighting Baton and had reached a semi-respectable level of 32 when I received an interesting tell. A player promising wealth. Yeah, I know. I won't go into the details but by the end of the day I had to go to my brother and tell him we lost it all. Probably 8 months of progress as we played 6 days a month. We were both distraught, you know what EQ does to young kids who are addicted.. I became obsessed. Explored, scoured, read, researched. Spent all my time on the school's library computers searching for a way to re-access my account, this was long before "forgot my password" was a common link on webpages. I fought through the barricade of blocked websites and found.. nothing. Then I recall it, as clear as if it happened yesterday. What combination of search terms? What phrase I entered? I cannot know. But the page, that page, I had found it!! I attained the information the page required, entered it, waited.. loading.. loading.. bam! Your password has been reset! I go to login and.. I'm on my monk again! Three levels higher! And with.. new armor! Ecstatic doesn't even scrape the surface of what I felt as I encountered the newly recovered self. Curious, I hadn't a surname. Being named Prok I just got called "pork" a lot, and yet now I had a surname? "Prok Epikak", what is epikak? I didn't know, never bothered to look it up until years later. Doesn't matter, I had my character back! I am the mighty Prok Epikak, monk of terrible!

Coming of Age
There isn't much of note after this, I spent my time leveling and eventually attained level 54. I was bad, really bad. I went on a few raids, I saw fantastic creatures in Kael and various other outdoor zones. I never really got to explore any other dungeons, and Kael was just that one time. An overweight monk, not fully understanding of the class's mechanics and not really caring. I just enjoyed the ride. I do recall a time when I went raiding, with what guild I cannot know. Ascending Dawn? Wudan? MIM? The Curse? (lol unlikely), I believe it was Wudan, anyway as a guest to this raid I think the raid leader must've inspected me and thought making me pull would be hilarious. I go up, fully raid buffed and attempt to body pull from the Arena main area, I remember agroing him, turning around to leave, and HOLY SHIT I'M UNCONSCIOUS, FD FD FD FD FD, omg I lived. Mend. Okay 25% hp. I report to the raid that these guys hit really hard. By this time I'm certain the raid leader is laughing at loud to himself and they're really enjoying this on Vent/TS or the like. I get back up after I've regenned to 75% or so, the mobs having pathed back by then and run toward the raid, mobs in tow, I knew I had no chance of splitting these having no throwing weapons and not knowing about sneak pulling but I got the mobs close enough to the raid that another player managed to split them. This event alone actually encouraged me to make my monk here, Useful Idiot, so that one day I can pull this mob the proper way, as an intelligent player. The name of my monk is a sort of homage to a player to the Velious glory days, to (by reputation) a douchebag, jerk, and eventually exiled monk named Stynkfyst. Nonetheless I always liked his name. It was generally comedic, and a tribute to Tool. My EQ login at the time was also a tribute to Tool, so here I am, Useful Idiot. Somewhat of a homage to Stynkfyst, Tool, and if all else fails an amusing name and representation of my personality

At this point, Sullon Zek had been launched a few months prior as a perma-death server. Once the perma-death feature was removed and it was level unlimited PvP. I decided to check it out.

Home: Sullon Zek
I started out as a dark elf mage, eventually to become 'Master Simulated Existence', which would become my first max-level character, 65! Rallos was a dangerous server, but neutered. In an age of no drop armor gearing, item loot was null, so this new experience of no level limit range pvp, and exp loss if the player was +(4 or 8) above you, or *anyone* below you made the fight for survival intense. A group of 20s taking down a 30 was a common sight. I spent my time hiding and siccing my pet on players, a mage isn't an ideal choice for PvP but I stuck with my decisions.

I did take part a bit in the Sullon Zek raiding scene with a guild lead by a troll shadowknight named Zafer, <Anguish>. Some of our members would leave to join <Hate> now and then but I never had any prospects for that, just wanted to come along on as many raids as I had time for and be part of a group of people who liked to have fun. Being a mage my primary role was to simply hide, sic my pet, or COTH. Easy enough for me as I wasn't the greatest player at the time anyway! Eventually after 50 some AAs and a bit of raiding I decided it would be a good idea to earn some cash. On Sullon Zek I got tranix's spawn time down to a science and farmed him exclusively for months. This was in the era of Luclin so good players had better things to do, things I knew little of.

The Twink
I earned a few million over time and eventually put together my ultimate machine, a dark elf shadow knight, 'Innovative Technology'. Don't scoff too hard at dark elf, during this era starting stats were no longer a concern and I simply wanted to defeat my opponents with the smallest stature character possible for extra humiliation. After all, up until this point I'd spend 3 years dying to everyone I'd met on almost every occasion. I was bad. No longer! This character was amazing, indestructable, so many clickie toys, such a weapon. I'd often defeat players red to me outside of my range! I learned to joust! I learned what PvP was all about! This was truly my finest time in Everquest. I fought epic battles, Tantor's Tusked sitting players in an explosion of damage, and in general combated the goods and newts the best I knew how. But as always, EQs expansions pounded on, LDoN, GoD.. it was happening too quickly, too many changes. PvP was so easy to avoid in this world. So, it faded away.

An Exit
This was a few years before WoW came out (I think), and anyway. I gave my account away, moved on, and eventually joined up WoW on launch on the Shadowmoon server.

EQEmu Projects
Not long after, the EQEmu projects emerged. S2K, VZTZ, god, so many other long dead servers popped up, and eventually.. P99. I'm sick of writing at the moment but I'll edit in my story here later.

ccs88
10-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Cmon, everyone started in classic? I just dont see it, i think people are not voting truthfully for a strange reason

Makes sense to me; the farther back we go, the more nostalgia we have. That's why we all searched for classic EverQuest and found P99 amirite? Really, if you started playing EQ after Velious, your nostalgia juice can't be flowing that hard.

My best/worst memory: My brother had multiple 60 characters on Innoruuk, and he was in all the best guilds at some point or another... popular guy. Meanwhile I still hadn't reached 60 (I actually never did), but I would play his druid from time to time.

One night I decided to teach my human warrior some elvish language (with his druid) by making macros and spamming huge chunks of random text in group chat. Unfortunately for my brother, I was accidentally sending it all through the Bazaar trade channel, and I sat there spamming for a good 10 minutes before it dawned on me. I'm pretty sure half the server ignored his druid. He lost some friends. Woops. :D

Bronia
10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
We brought the box home from Sainsburys (special offer, reduced price, souvenir Iksar figurine painted later by husband) and installed it - original EQ plus Kunark and Velious, not long after Velious launch. Got it installed and patched over 24 hours (no joke on dialup).
Read the booklet that came with it, decided on a human ranger. Started in Surefall Glade at midnight game time. Back in the days when no human night vision meant just that. Black screen. Blundered around randomly for ten minutes, finally found guildmaster, managed to accidentally attack him. LOADING - PLEASE WAIT. Deleted ranger.
Went back to the booklet again and decided on wood elf druid since they had night vision. She lasted all of five minutes before falling off a Kelethin platform. LOADING - PLEASE WAIT. Deleted druid.
I still liked the idea of druid so tried a halfling since the booklet said they had an easier starting city. Made it out to Misty Thicket, actually killed a rat or two, managed to get the wrong side of The Wall and six orcs went medieval on her poor little halfling backside. LOADING - PLEASE WAIT. Deleted second druid.
Next attempt was a dark elf necro. She got deleted in disgust after 20 minutes of trying to find my way out of Neriak. No amount of ultravision was worth putting up with that city...
Half elf bard. Got to level 2 and then had multiple deaths. I couldn't get my head round the fact that AE damage song and running to guards in panic was not a good combo.
By this point I was almost about to uninstall the game and throw the box in the bin. Decided on one last try. Easy starting city - hmm, they say Halas is simple. Ok, barbarians have no night vision but how dark can it be if there's snow everywhere? Made a barbarian shaman. Got out to Everfrost, killed my first polar bear cub, never looked back. I finally retired her in Seeds of Destruction era at 85. And it's no accident that I tried a shaman again, coming back here. Though I'm playing with a bard as well. This time I do know that AE songs and Freeport Guards don't mix :)

Aprisle
10-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Too many liars voted

Silent
10-26-2013, 07:11 AM
I started in Classic not long after launch, As fun as it was I really had no idea what I was doing partially because it was a new type of game I had never encountered and that I was so young. I fucked around alot on various characters for a few weeks changing between commons and qeynos hills/blackburrow til I was familiar enough then I decided upon a monk who I hit 50 just as kunark was released.

Anyone who truly played classic remembers getting a cloth map of Norrath with their copy of Kunark(What was it, 5 CDs iirc?), And laying eyes on the Fironia Vie character for the first time. Half of kunark I spent in mid level guilds doing nothing, Eventually when I was around 55+ I got into one of the top guilds then got my epic, started raiding kunark content and before I knew it velious was out, I was soloing in velks with my fungi after bats in solb were bad exp. Did lots of Yelinak kills(holy fucking mage chain of mod rods, wish I still had SS's of the 50+ mod rods on floors for ppl to eat) Dain, ToV, NToV, Never really got to experience PoM fully. Never had any guised or firepot characters since I never even knew about firepot bound nerf until like late kunark. Guised players were just as rare barely seen. Got to pull and learn some of trickiest raid bosses and other pull splits like idol/statue/avatar of war with the dude who basically invented the guide to monk FD pulling on all of EQ, Laotzu from Tribunal. Anyone who played a monk should know this guy, His guide on pulling was basically stickied on Monkly-Business with all the tips and tricks and how to.

Lyssia
10-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Opening day of Prexus server. Originally started as Borm Bloodstorm the Barbarian Shaman, then deleted him at level 24 and made my Erudite Necro Borm Bloodstorm that I played to level 57 and quit during Velious

Hailto
10-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Opening day of Prexus server. Originally started as Borm Bloodstorm the Barbarian Shaman, then deleted him at level 24 and made my Erudite Necro Borm Bloodstorm that I played to level 57 and quit during Velious

Hey i played on prexus too :)

Mortiis
11-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Best post ever ^

Started sometime in the fall of 1999 while at my first duty station in the AF..Keesler AFB. A co-worker showed it me the game- I was hooked until they changed the trolls and introduced the frogloks taking over Grobb. I got overly into the lore at the time and was really pissed off that happened. I quit a few months or so afterwards. I don't rememeber the exact dates.
-Mortiis was my troll shammy toon on the Tallen Zek pvp server back then. Rolled Ihsahnn Troll SK, Sammoth Troll war

Played a few MMO's following all of that- None compared to EQ. They still don't.
I first saw WoW in England and thought it looked like a cartoon.

Despite all the forum ass to mouth bickering back and forth- it's just great to play like the old days. A big thank you goes out to those who put this all together and those that have helped out along the way with both creation and in game.

Aus
11-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Started on Prexus. My first character was a HE Paladin, cause they can heal AND melee! How overpowered is that!? Struggled for the longest time, tried out an iksar monk when Kunark came out and never looked back. Ended up quitting when DAOC came out but nothing really compares to EQ. :)

Skerblz
11-18-2013, 11:30 PM
early kunark, getting trained in karnors castle lol best of times...

Zibberroo
12-06-2013, 11:45 PM
I am part of the first day original everquest. :)

Alumbros
12-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I started the first week of Velious. I used to play Quake 2, and many of my friends there left for Everquest during the Kunark era or earlier. I resisted a bit longer.

My first character was a Dark Elf necromancer. My friend told me this was the most overpowered class! After getting lost in Neriak, I deleted him and created another. I repeated this process a few times. Eventually I drew a map of Neriak by hand and escaped to Nektulos. When I got to level 7, I decided to explore Freeport. I was killed immediately upon zoning into NFP. I never recovered that corpse. After I reached level 14 or so, I gave up on the necromancer and rerolled as a cleric on a different server.

mtb tripper
12-07-2013, 02:37 PM
I remember how much of a bitch zone everfrost was, so many newbs and such shitty mobs

EDIT: all in all terrible starting zone

Krito
12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
It was before Kunark, but I wasn't on right at Launch.

Deadmantis
12-12-2013, 11:17 PM
A co worker on opposite shift had a beta acct that he let me play while he was working. He played on Tarew Marr but my PC couldn't handle the lag. So I made a monk on Karana (was lowest pop beta server at the time).

I remember being scared to leave Freeport at night without a fire beetle eye, I was so frigging blind. Hooked ever since.

Traegore
12-19-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't remember for sure but I think started around June 1999, just when Rodcet Nife came on line, anyway. Many years were spent in the EQ world and in the years since, I would dream of EQ places and long to visit them once again... and now I can! It feels good to be home. :D

Traegore - Paladin
Vexesthee - Necro
and all the others

zewtastic
12-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Started in 1998, in either Alpha or early beta. I'm so old now so don't remember exactly what it was called. My buddy and I both started at the same time. We were both early Alpha testers for UO as well, but jumped to EQ as soon as our invites arrived in the mail.

We were both is the tech field, Intel network engineers and server admins. We had the luxury of Dual channel ISDN to our homes, which was as good as it got in those days when most people simply had a single POTS line.

Talking to your buddy on the phone while playing was unheard of back then. My how times have changed.

I will need to check my storage and see if I still have that 989 envelope.

add294
01-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Before Kunark but a couple months after launch. I was like 15 at the time. I remember fighting with my parents about going to bed on school nights. "But dad im on a raid! I cant abandon all these people!"

I remember the first time killing Trakanon. He was meleed by two OOM casters to his death. Everyone else died. Most rewarding experience i have had in a video game.

My first character was a woodelf warrior(terrible choice) named Kegdidar. I put a good 10 days played in and never broke level 20.

My main ending up being a halfling cleric named Bledsoe on the Nameless server. I quit when the raiding guild i was in suddenly disbanded and i didnt have the desire to work my way into another. This was during Velious. I never reached past level 55.

Kellek
01-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Pre-Kunark. Not right when it was released, but soon after. Came from UO and The Realm. I recall making a halfling cleric to start. I remember getting lost in Kithicor, going to Freeport to meet a friend shortly after I started, and my first glimpse of a Hill Giant in WC.. was my wow moment.

Deadmantis
01-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Pre-Kunark. Not right when it was released, but soon after. Came from UO and The Realm.

I played The Realm from version 2x thru 3x and left when EQ went live. Had a lvl 700+ human adventurer and a 500+ elf wizzie. My first MMO - a real old school side scroller, got a free demo on a Betrayal at Krondor disc. Before UO and EQ the server would hit 2k players at peak times, laggy as hell on dialup.

Munkh
01-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Started playing EQ the week after Kunark was release.

Itap
01-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Started playing EQ the week after Kunark was release.

strong first post since since 2011, god damn

Munkh
01-20-2014, 10:10 AM
I can't tell if you are making fun of me or not Itap. I first played EQ in the April of 2000, the week after Sony released the Kunark expansion, not project1999.

vance
01-23-2014, 10:50 PM
I'm totally new! Can't wait to try this game out. :)

Xer0
01-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Funny thing about my first experience with EQ. It came long after my initial (youthful) obsessionwith EQ. Saw the game in a store when I was like.. 14. There was no chance I'd be able to play it. For like 4 months all I did was read eq lore, and descriptions of lthe likes of the races and classes. Then about 2 years later I met a guy that played eq, stayed the night at his house and thus was born my first eq all nighter. Went home slept, went back to dudes house, watched him play then did the same thing I did the previous night. Eventually this guy sold me his account for $20, and several months later Luclin came otu (so i'm not a truly classic player, I know :P)

Fjolvar
01-25-2014, 06:17 PM
I was introduced to Everquest during pre-Kunark around 13 years old by a childhood friend of mine at the time and played the tutorial at his house. I watched him play his character and was instantly enthralled and eager to purchase the game. After begging my parents to pay the monthly fee, I finally bought the game when Kunark was released and convinced another friend to buy it as well. We both made Barbarian warriors on Rallos Zek and I spent most of my newbie days in Everfrost peaks roaming the area and enjoying the atmosphere. After rolling several characters on different servers, I eventually settled with a Troll warrior on the Saryrn server and named him Scold. I leveled him to 60 and played hardcore until maybe 6 months after Velious was released. I decided the game had taken up too much time from my life and that in the end I needed to focus on school, but I don't regret playing and wish I could play like I did when I was young. I have so many good memories from that game and met so many nice people. I ended up selling my account for $700 on Ebay after I quit. I'm only a casual player now on P1999 mainly for nostalgia and having a bit of fun, not nearly as serious as I used to be. I'm now a grad student in university full time so I don't have the time to dedicate to the game like I want to. I graduate this May which will be the first time I won't have to worry about school in many years, so I think I might increase my playing time then. I'm looking forward to it :)

Slegor
02-09-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm guessing here, but I started EQ in the Fall of 1999. Having played D&D, I understood the basics. Started with a Mage. I'll never forget stepping into the forest and killing snakes and spiders, then running like hell to the zone. Settled on a Wood Eld Druid. Played him for four years. Hearing that theme music takes me back.

Scott

Jimjam
02-09-2014, 09:52 AM
I was introduced to Everquest during pre-Kunark around 13 years old by a childhood friend of mine at the time and played the tutorial at his house. I watched him play his character and was instantly enthralled and eager to purchase the game. After begging my parents to pay the monthly fee, I finally bought the game when Kunark was released

My experience too. My childhood friend was part of my D&D / Rolemaster group. It was so cool* to see a multiplayer RPG being played 1st person on a computer.

*for a certain value of cool.

Fett
02-19-2014, 05:43 PM
I played through the end of Beta Phase 3 and then beta Phase 4. Then I played on and off all the way through Kunark, coming back to play some in Velious, then once more for Planes of Power. Been out for a long time and I'm hoping to be joining you all and make some friends.

Kellek/Deadmantis: I also came from The Realm (played all the way from 1.x Alpha till 3x), and did UO through beta 2 on and off through full release/private shards. Recently went back to play on a free shard, but it only held my interest for so long. I guess I'm cycling back through my early MMO life with giving EQ another try!

Junare
02-20-2014, 07:33 PM
I never played any video games before until I got a job at a Cyber Cafe in the summer of 2000. Ruins of Kunark was already out and what everyone talked about. One of the perks of the job is we could play for free. The top tech qeek introduced me to EQ the first day. He claimed EQ would be like heroin and I would get hooked. I sneered, video games were for boys. That won't happen to me. Well I got sucked in and this was my life. I worked and played around the clock and barely went home to sleep. Everyday was a LAN party for the guys because they raided together. I mainly puttered around Kelethin as a ranger and only got my main character to level 32. I wanted to play a druid, but everyone convinced me that the spells cost too much and it would be better to play a ranger. This lasted about a year until we got a new store owner who didn't appreciate all of us hanging out and stinking up the place. We all left voluntarily and I got a retail job. My pc at home couldn't handle the graphics and I had to stop playing around the time Planes of Power came out. I can finally pursuit my EQ dream of being a druid and sowing and healing everyone for free.

Soleste
02-23-2014, 03:35 PM
My first was a barbarian. i couldn't see in the dark and fell in the water and drowned. :)

scarletghost
02-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Tank Man then, Caster Man now

Juhstin
02-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Kunark days, near Velious launch as I spent my end game in Velious.

Robdukes
02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
I played D&D when I was 10-14 years old. Started out with regular D&D, Then advanced D&D, and a friend of my uncles used to design his own tabletop RPGs. He would have everything down to a science and store quality. He pitched both games to a company I remember. One was a Bloodsport type game with martial arts and different fight styles and the other was Wrestling..Like ECW style. You would have the dramas between characters, The entrances to the ring with the music and everything. We would do interviews and have PPV like halloween events and the like. We had character sheets with stats, turn based rolls on special abilites and all just like an AD&D game.

Around 9th grade my buddy bought classic and kunark when kunark was released. I would stay at his house and we would take turns doing 12 hour shifts. I think it contributed to him dropping out of school..lol. I stopped playing before velious dropped. A few years later we got back into it. I remember seeing lots of cats running around and the bazaar. I only played to 25 or so during this time period so I didn't get to see Velious. I'm really excited for Velious because it's going to be a brand new expansion for me. I've never stepped foot in any of the zones, nor have I had any of the gear. When I played during luclin or pop or whatever it was at the time I was in raw hide fighting in classic zones still. I'm really glad I missed it the first time. One of my favorite things about this game..the mystery..will still be there.

Buffet_Shammy
03-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Just after Kunark. Skipped a LOT of junior high school because I was up till 3am Everfesting lol

MilanderTruewield
03-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Started in October, 2000 during Kunark. When I was in the Air Force, some of my friends started playing this game together, on Erollisi Marr. They all had computers, I didn't. I watched them play for a few days before asking to try it myself. I created a DE SK on one of their accounts, got lost in Nektulos, and was killed by a shadow wolf. Deleted that character and created a Half Elf Paladin, Milander. I worked night shift, so until I had my own computer and account, I played on one of their computers while they slept. I remember I saw a promotional offer from MSN dialup that if you signed up for 3 years of internet, they give you $400.00 or somesuch. Bought a POS eMachines computer with that. I still have Milander, and my primary main after that first year, a DE Cleric, Camien Ta'Mire. Along with 4 other level 100's, a 97, a 96 and an 88. 3 accounts and in one of EMarr's raiding guilds. Getting more hooked to p99, however.
Anywho, there's my story.

Vumnaydar
04-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Started at LDoN!!

Garmr
04-11-2014, 10:02 AM
June 4, 2000 @ 4:38pm PST....... I could be off by a minute. hah

khailibowen
04-12-2014, 08:56 PM
During Kunark, I was already "old" at 27, and played for several years. At that time, there seemed to be a lot more actual females playing females, like myself, than I see now. My first main was a High Elf Paladin (Khaili) then I created a Wood Elf Druid (Genyveve), and a bunch of littles. I remember my first time playing, I didn't even know how to communicate. Someone gave me something, or buffed me or something, and I couldn't figure out how to talk to them. I was the ultimate newbie for a long time. My husband has always been a significantly higher level than me, so we never played in the same circles, so I figured it out pretty much on my own (well with lots of talking across the room for help lol).

Everquest was (and still is) the only MMO game I have ever played.

Iksandar Peregrinus
05-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Just after Velious, me.

Iksandar Peregrinus
Ranger of Too Many Seasons

Bagallen
05-17-2014, 10:39 AM
IM DOWNLOADING TONIGHT AND PLAYING IT! The free to play is ok but I want the old feeling back!

littlebobby3
05-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Started dec 2001 got luclin for Christmas but barely ever went there till later lol.

Played before that on my dad's account got a human necro to lvl 9

chaosegg
05-29-2014, 06:13 AM
EQ Classic; sometime after release though well before Kunark.
I believe I was about 17-18 years old at the time,
and when I went away to college with no PC or access to EQ to soak up most of my time/energy...
let me just say that it was a bit of a disaster (long story) ;)

side note:
I just found out about p99 about a month ago (Spring, 2014).
Love this community/server so far; the wonderful nostalgia is near perfect...
it took me only a few hours during this last year or so to see I could not recapture "that feeling" with Sony's EQ or EQ2,
but with p1999 I stepped back into the great thrill of "the good old days" immediately;
mainly due to the excellent quality & quantity of people here I think,
so THANK YOU ALL!

I plan to be here till I've at least one "high-level", so maybe I'll see you around! :D

Akain
06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
I remember playing in a tiny screen inside the larger window, first person only. Nice large easy to see chat. Meditate was staring into a book which was not as relaxing as you would think meditate to be. Should have been called terrifying. Don't forget to put a point in terrify at 8.

Lyzard
06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Started back in May '99 my dad introduced me at the tender age of 13. I made a human warrior and remember spending that whole night hunting large rats and snakes under the watchful eye of the Freeport west gate guards.

I let my sense of adventure get the better of me at one point and I got turned around. When the screen paused and I saw the Loading East Commonlands... Please Wait I literally pooped myself! :)

Buellen
06-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Started pre kunark

My friend bought the game was talking about it constantly. 2 week later I purchased and loaded patched and away I went. fought the skeleton in the intro then zoned over to Freeport. I had made a cleric.

Squashed large rats, bats, decayed skeleton, and snakes oh my till level 4 man that took hours. got killed by shadow knight in the sk/necro guild area trying to find the docks hehe. Took boat ride to butcherblock and totally cool to see the islands come up as we crossed the ocean.

By far the most memorable thing about original EQ was getting of boat and running along path(had to ask multiple times how to get to greater fay dark). when I got to a bend in path and see the giant dwarf statue above kaladim through the tree I was like freaking aye!!!! I had such a sense of awe I could not believe how beautiful the game looked. I was hooked

crunknsa
07-20-2014, 07:43 PM
My husband played EQ for quite sometime before I got into it. He was on his way to a wedding in Felwithe one afternoon when he asked me if I would run him there. "Just follow the path" he said. So I did. By the time I got there to the zone line of Felwithe, I was hooked. And I hadn't even killed anything! That afternoon (right after the wedding which I watched with great enthusiasm) we went to our local EB Games and I got my own account. September 21, 2001.

Daknar
08-25-2014, 06:57 PM
I remember dinging 50 in Sol B King camp during the first day of Kunark release.

DarkwingDuck
08-29-2014, 07:39 AM
Hehe who remembers the Soandso tutorial :)

My first EQ encounter was watching my older sisters BF play it.. His DE necro .. Was probably in some place like SRo or something.. Also remember watching him fight Slate, and FP guards... Then my buddy got the game, and we'd play at his house (think now being 16) (pre kunark) once I was 17 I think.. Could finally afford my first comp, emachines.. Got the game personally after kunark release.. Such awesome memories lol

Remember playin at buddies, and I Could NOT pass lvl 7 in Nek woods.. Fighting at skele pyramid.. Everytime I was near ding, I'd die... Then my 3 ish hours would be up lol.
Then I'd try again next week haha. After months, I left Nek woods into EC.. And was like WOW, there is Sun and light and ... Sun!! Hahah

eqgmrdbz
08-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Most definitely after Kunark, i got my first experience watching my roommate play, i asked him what he was playing, and he told me all about it, i went and got my own copy, and i clearly remember the Kunark picture on the disk. I cant remember the exact date, but it might have been around 2000.

I was immediately attracted to the Barb's, so i made a Barb Shammy, and Demarcuss was born, played Demarcuss the rest of my days, got him to 65. Many other character followed, but I have to say playing on p99 feels like i have just continued the journey i started on live. Now Demarcuss has become Grumpybear lvl 24 Shammy on p99, "let the journey continue". :D

HallyVee
08-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Honestly I'm not exactly sure when I first started. I remember the friend who introduced me getting the new expansion and playing around in Luclin; I'm just not sure how long this was after we started playing.

I only ever got to 18ish max on my Druid, so I'd guess right before Luclin was released, perhaps.

I remember my computer was 133 mhz and couldn't handle more than one of the new models. (Truthfully it could barely handle the game in the first place).

wolven1
09-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Me and my wife where so excited when we got our beta invites in our email. We downloaded it and were addicted for the next 8 years. About the time things got hectic and disconnected with all the changes due to rolling expansion releases that seem to change the entire dynamic and mechanics of the game.

I remember dying so many times due to the autoattach key being originally mapped to the "A" key. I would think I was typing in chat to start a quest or answer someone and *BOOM* toon would hit the ground with the death drums playing and scream of death and smack sound. I was so happy when I learned how to remap that key. Then later after lots of complaints I am sure, the changed the default to "Q" which most agreed was a smart move. :D

The wife and I still love to play MMORPG's together. I am truly blessed.

Kealenfists
10-03-2014, 05:06 PM
My brother and I started playing after a friend of his showed him the game in July 2000. For about a year we actually played together some of the time with him controlling the mouse and me on the keyboard. Eventually we each had our own accounts and it was a battle for the AOL line to use the internet, riddled with stich es and broken bones, lol. I played until we beat Quarm in Plane of Time during the PoP era