PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: PVP plugging/ /q'ing with new rules

Nizzarr
10-08-2013, 03:36 PM
When you plug in pvp, you create a ghost on the other side of the zone.

That ghost is invulnerable.

With the new pvp change that makes it so you dont dissapear within 30 sec, that ghost WILL NOT dissapear until you zone yourself. It will be invulnerable casting spells or meleeing you.

This is very problematic.

Also melee characters that /q on casters are impossible to deal with, melees do not miss any rounds and port on top of people, even bard speed people.

Alecta
10-08-2013, 03:47 PM
They are still disappearing after 3 minutes, correct?

Will look at 1) LD players attacks against players and 2) a timer for the zoning protection so they dont remain invulnerable.

Smedy
10-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Can confirm, checkraise did more work LD then he would ever do in game, bastard stuck to me like xantille on box 1.0

quido
10-08-2013, 05:02 PM
It would also be worth looking into how LD players move.

One time in DL I was on my bard attacking a warrior and he /quit and then proceeded to chase me all over the zone for 3 minutes, keeping up with Selo's with drum. He was right on my ass the whole time and almost killed me.

Colgate
10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
best pvp strategy is to go mass warriors and just immediately /q

Silikten
10-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Can confirm, Jizzar immediately /q'd when fighting me (bard) when I caught him in the middle of Frontier Mountains. Nearly killed me. I couldn't even cast 1 song before he warped onto me and chain kick stunned me ><.

Oh, yeah, this was after he reported this...weird nihilum expoiting, right?

big mouth chew
10-11-2013, 10:29 AM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee432/robn3030/EQ003212_zps1417fab7.png

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee432/robn3030/EQ002639_zps60ed1d82.png

Alecta
10-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Is there any easy way to reproduce popping out the other end DA?

Whenever I end a zoning process, I don't show up on the other side.

Nizzarr
10-12-2013, 01:06 PM
it happens often, not sure what triggers it beside plugging.

you gotta zone 30 sec-3 minutes after the guy plugged, im guessing its when they plugged in the zone process that dictate if a ghost may or may not appear to future zoners.

Alecta
10-31-2013, 10:17 PM
I have fixed (hopefully):

* the invulnerable LD players - if they attack you, you can hit them back
* the special attacks (kick, bash, etc)
* tweaked the LD melee damage output

I cannot reproduce the issue where people say LD players who are mezzed poof before their 3 minutes is up. If anyone has experienced this, what spell are you using? (I tried with Rapture and GoK).

I will look at the pathing, but pathing in general on my dev box is messed up (and it's an area of code I am very unfamiliar with) so I cant promise anything.

quido
10-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Alecta, you rule

Dullah
10-31-2013, 10:43 PM
You should not be able to attack a LD player ghost period. You shouldn't even see them.

Preventing LD players from being invuln while LD is one thing, but allowing players to hit and offline players ghost is very very bad.

Retti_
10-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Ya allowing us to attack them is basically turning off zone plugging which is going to cause a shit ton of grief....

Nizzarr
10-31-2013, 11:02 PM
so we'll be able to kill people that plugged now? not sure if I like.. how about they dont make a ghost in the first place instead?

SamwiseRed
11-01-2013, 12:17 AM
making pluggers pop out on other side for 2 min sounds good to me.

Alecta
11-01-2013, 12:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tJHOOa9.jpg

I didn't say I was turning off plugging. And actually, no changes were made to plugging mechanics in the previous patch either.

The way plugging works today is the way it's always worked, the only difference is that if you timed your plug well (or poorly), you went from being an 'invulnerable rape machine' for 30 seconds to being one for 3 minutes.

The zoning process is basically this:

Client changes to loading screen.
Client says "ZoneEntry"; Server load the player profile, factions, etc. from database and sends it
Client changes to show status bar loading.
Client says "ReqNewZone"
Client says "ReqClientSpawn"; Server sends zone contents (mobs, doors, etc).
Client says "SendExpZonein" aka Zone me in, Scotty; This is where you show up in game.
Client says "ClientReady" and releases mouse; This is where you are made not invulnerable

If you happen to kill your client between the last two stages, you show up invulnerable, your connection will time out, and then you will go LD while partially loaded. That's when you are invulnerable and LD.

I will talk to Rogean about moving the point where you show up into ClientReady, but we have to see what other impacts that will have, aka it might break things.

tl;dr - I am not removing plugging. I am changing it so that if you plug late in the process, you are not rewarded with an invincible LD toon that can kill people for 3 minutes. If my changes negatively impact you, plug better (aka earlier).

a_gnoll_pup
11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/tJHOOa9.jpg

I didn't say I was turning off plugging. And actually, no changes were made to plugging mechanics in the previous patch either.

The way plugging works today is the way it's always worked, the only difference is that if you timed your plug well (or poorly), you went from being an 'invulnerable rape machine' for 30 seconds to being one for 3 minutes.

The zoning process is basically this:

Client changes to loading screen.
Client says "ZoneEntry"; Server load the player profile, factions, etc. from database and sends it
Client changes to show status bar loading.
Client says "ReqNewZone"
Client says "ReqClientSpawn"; Server sends zone contents (mobs, doors, etc).
Client says "SendExpZonein" aka Zone me in, Scotty; This is where you show up in game.
Client says "ClientReady" and releases mouse; This is where you are made not invulnerable

If you happen to kill your client between the last two stages, you show up invulnerable, your connection will time out, and then you will go LD while partially loaded. That's when you are invulnerable and LD.

I will talk to Rogean about moving the point where you show up into ClientReady, but we have to see what other impacts that will have, aka it might break things.

tl;dr - I am not removing plugging. I am changing it so that if you plug late in the process, you are not rewarded with an invincible LD toon that can kill people for 3 minutes. If my changes negatively impact you, plug better (aka earlier).

If you do this make sure to freeze the client in place, prevent all position updates and packets that involve another player or NPC. Plus make it only enabled on Red. Pretty much ignore everything from the client when the client is in the connecting phase.

I think your base does that, though I could be wrong. That would be my only concern. Basically don't want a scenario where you are LD invul and actually still playing by blocking the OP_ClientUpdate from sending itself. Though if you do that other things can trigger as a result :)

Retti_
11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Zone me in, Scotty;

I enjoyed that part