PDA

View Full Version : Classes game is in need of?

Wrot
07-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I was wondering if there was a shortage of any roles at the higher end of the game. Do raids get called for want of a healer, tank or slower? Is it difficult to get in a group as a damage class?

Short introduction, I loved raiding endgame as a necro from 98-2000 and I would like to get back. I've been raiding in WoW since release, but my guild has everything dead and there is nothing to do till next xpac. Sometimes we have to call a raid just because one or two healers didn't log in (end of the expansion/summer downtime). I was considering rolling one of the trinity classes if good players were extremely hard to find, or if the dps population was saturated.

Quinas
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Play something you enjoy, else you may not make it to endgame.

quellren
07-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I've never seen an MMO with enough players rolling tanks. If you can stomach the level grind, and don't suck, you'll forever have a place. Especially a Warrior.

EQ does better than most with 3 solid healing classes, Cleric is a long road, but shaman and druid aren't too painful. healers are always in need, but not as badly as tanks, based on a "/who <class> 46 50 all"

It feels like every other player at the EC tunnel market is wearing a robe, so....take that for what it's worth. I don't think we're lacking in DPS. I love my enchanter, but it feels like we're a dime a dozen. I'm thinking of shelving him in favor of a SHM or SK.

Troy
07-20-2010, 12:06 AM
I just started last week and have been playing almost non stop because I'd like to see lvl 50 content before Kunark. (Un?)fortunately I chose a DE cleric since my old live chars were all good and melees, but it is slooooow and weak so far (lvl 17). I'm thinking about starting over as something more interesting, but figure I'll stick it out at least to 29 or so first.

Bubbles
07-20-2010, 12:10 AM
You'll find a ton of duos and trios too...

Necros are a ton of fun and always welcome in groups if you know how to play one well.

And in my experience you'll find tons of smaller groups of say, mag/nec/enc or dru/nec/pal or whatever is nearby.. You will find plenty of lolwtfstrange combos out there.

And, as always, you'll find the mage/nec type combos levelling far faster than the 6 man traditional melee-heavy groups.

Just like always.

Play what you want and enjoy, you'll find tons of people around to level with no matter your choice.

Well, unless you play a hybrid that isnt a bard. Then gl finding a good healer. :)

HeallunRumblebelly
07-20-2010, 01:59 AM
As far as end game goes, it doesn't need anymore people. All raid targets get stomped within 10 minutes of spawning (sans CT, damn trash). Leveling to 50, the game is damn short of SKs, but most people want to save their melees for when they have the money to enjoy them properly on top of the fact that SKs are not entirely needed on the 50 raiding scene.

Also I feel the need to warn you that outside a rare efreeti or kedge named group, groups do not exist at lvl 50. I would recommend something that you can earn some coin with, which are namely mages/necros/enchanters. Enchanter is slightly more gear dependent than the mage or necro, but you can build a respectable 200+ cha set cheaply.

Troy
07-20-2010, 02:21 AM
That certainly paints a grim picture. Maybe I should just quit entirely since I wasn't here at launch.

Dumesh Uhl'Belk
07-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Bah! Just like in classic, there is fun to be had, but you have to have some initiative to really enjoy the game. If you make friends and put effort into assembling groups, you can do most anything in the game and enjoy it. Yes, it's really hard to get a shot at some of the raid targets, but that is far from the only reason to play EQ.

Cogwell
07-20-2010, 11:08 AM
From personal observation in the 20s, knights do seem to be the least played and most highly desired. However, that might be rough considering tanking is the most gear dependent and knights have a 40% xp penalty.

Rangers are the least common class I see, but for obvious reasons. Wizard is one class that is uncommon, but both powerful and desirable for raiding and grouping.

Chicka
07-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Like someone has no doubt already said, play what is fun to you.

That said, warriors, rangers, and (quality) shaman are low on the ground at the top. Warrior would probably be a hard class to get to 50 untwinked because of all the tank classes they are least desirable when not twinked to hell and gone - but once there, and you have the skills, you might even find it easier to get into a raiding guild. Rangers, yea, not going there - but ask Zilo about the last mage who thought rangers were a joke. Shaman, this is a good group and solo class, getting to 50 would probably take least time of the three I've mentioned.

With regards to end game raiding - whatever class you play because the end game is short on it at the time, don't bank on that being the case when you finally do ding 50 - you might even be competing against an army of heavily twinked re-rolls at that point.

Above all else, have fun, nothing is worth sacrificing that in a game.

Good luck

SunDrake
07-21-2010, 04:09 AM
With regards to end game raiding - whatever class you play because the end game is short on it at the time, don't bank on that being the case when you finally do ding 50 - you might even be competing against an army of heavily twinked re-rolls at that point.

Truth.

fuji
07-21-2010, 11:48 AM
As far as end game goes, it doesn't need anymore people. All raid targets get stomped within 10 minutes of spawning (sans CT, damn trash). Leveling to 50, the game is damn short of SKs, but most people want to save their melees for when they have the money to enjoy them properly on top of the fact that SKs are not entirely needed on the 50 raiding scene.

Also I feel the need to warn you that outside a rare efreeti or kedge named group, groups do not exist at lvl 50. I would recommend something that you can earn some coin with, which are namely mages/necros/enchanters. Enchanter is slightly more gear dependent than the mage or necro, but you can build a respectable 200+ cha set cheaply.

This is the main reason I stopped playing. In all honesty I probably wont start playing again until Velious, when there is a lot more end game stuff to kill.

Kelven
07-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I think the rarest classes on the server are

Ranger
Rogue
Bard
Warrior
Paladin ?

Sk's are common until you get to 50, then it seems like everyone quits playing them, same thing with shamans.

You could probably roll anything besides a mage / enchanter / druid and be uncommon, since that's most of the server.

guineapig
07-21-2010, 03:47 PM

I rolled my bard when my guild had but 1 active bard that would be online roughly 1 out of every 3 raids we did. Needless to see he was fully geared and even had bard boss loot VERY quickly.

Currently my bard is level 35 and we already have at least 3 full time bards regularly showing up to raids and at least 3-4 other bard alts leveling up at various rates. (Granted I have been leveling my bard at a very leisurely pace but you get the idea).

I will continue to get my bard to 46 though because I'm guessing that in about a month those bards will be playing something else.

I have seen this server go through 2 waves of tanks being impossible to find then 2 to a group. Currently tanks are rare again in the 34-46 range and find my bard being the main tank in every group I'm in.

Saw the same thing with clerics. They were common, then hard to find. Last night I had 2 clerics in my group... they were taking turns nuking.

I think besides rangers, every class has been experiencing this ebb and flow and will continue to do so.

HippoNipple
07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I want to play the coolest most overpowered class that no one else has and wants to group with!!

Ah crap nm I will just play my necro by myself

Cars
07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
^^^
This is true. I'm 39 and most people know I am damn good at what i do. I log on for two seconds and I am offered a group in Lguk and SolB without fail. To be honest it is awesome to be a tank that is not only needed, but preferred and respected. Was never like this on live for me and I was probably as good then. Not to brag 8P

guineapig
07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I want to play the coolest most overpowered class that no one else has and wants to group with!!

Ah crap nm I will just play my necro by myself

Iksar necros will be more uber than your whatever-it-is necro! :p

jeffd
07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
As far as end game goes, it doesn't need anymore people. All raid targets get stomped within 10 minutes of spawning.

Also I feel the need to warn you that groups do not exist at lvl 50.

This sort of kills my motivation to play here.

Chodan
07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
all the named mobs are camped by enchanters/necros.

but it's still fun to group up and do the occasional 5mans :)

Chicka
07-21-2010, 05:04 PM
This sort of kills my motivation to play here.

Why? At 50 "pick up" groups are probably non-existent, but at 50 you should be in a guild, you want to go do something you get a bunch of guildies together and go do it.

darkblade717
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Need more beastlords. Work on that.

rioisk
07-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Like someone has no doubt already said, play what is fun to you.

That said, warriors, rangers, and (quality) shaman are low on the ground at the top. Warrior would probably be a hard class to get to 50 untwinked because of all the tank classes they are least desirable when not twinked to hell and gone - but once there, and you have the skills, you might even find it easier to get into a raiding guild. Rangers, yea, not going there - but ask Zilo about the last mage who thought rangers were a joke. Shaman, this is a good group and solo class, getting to 50 would probably take least time of the three I've mentioned.

Above all else, have fun, nothing is worth sacrificing that in a game.

Good luck

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9817/valasbeatszilo.jpg

rangers aren't jokes but they go down =P

Daywolf
07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I was wondering if there was a shortage of any roles at the higher end of the game. Do raids get called for want of a healer, tank or slower? Is it difficult to get in a group as a damage class?Bummer, I thought the thread was going to be about new classes :D I was going to say Assassin :cool: Don't know why I thought that hehe

But yeah, I agree, play what you like best is the way to go. It's less about the numbers and more about players being good at the class they play. You know, like not everyone is cut out for cleric etc.

Dagoth
07-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Warrior would probably be a hard class to get to 50 untwinked because of all the tank classes they are least desirable when not twinked to hell and gone - but once there, and you have the skills, you might even find it easier to get into a raiding guild.

Im first char war untwinked (no farm alts either), it can maybe be a little tougher on the group but i've rarely heard complaints or to much garbage, usually if i do it's from the people who didnt really get into eq tell after classic.

Very rewarding playing untwinked war, as every twink is just grind grind grind, it's exciting every time you reach a new lvl / camp/ xp spot, that theres also potential for better gear. It's more rewarding and challenging to watch your char grow on your own.

At least atm, i get a grp within 10 min of loggin in since i hit 38ish +, finding them 33-37 was a real rough time for some reason though.

Lancelot
07-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Bummer, I thought the thread was going to be about new classes :D I was going to say Assassin :cool: Don't know why I thought that hehe

But yeah, I agree, play what you like best is the way to go. It's less about the numbers and more about players being good at the class they play. You know, like not everyone is cut out for cleric etc.

No no ... Id say creating new classes would be unEQie. I would go for making you feel like an assassin. How about titles displayed under your name or something? 500,000 backstabs give you the title Assassin.

Bubbles
07-22-2010, 02:56 AM
No no ... Id say creating new classes would be unEQie. I would go for making you feel like an assassin. How about titles displayed under your name or something? 500,000 backstabs give you the title Assassin.

What title does 500,000 resses get me?

Lancelot
07-22-2010, 03:03 AM
<insert imagination>

No really though ... maybe remember doing /who all and people after a certain level had class specific titles? Maybe extend on it to make it viable in a manner.

Daywolf
07-22-2010, 04:29 PM
No no ... Id say creating new classes would be unEQie. I would go for making you feel like an assassin. How about titles displayed under your name or something? 500,000 backstabs give you the title Assassin.Hmm... close, but needs stealth, lock picking, tracking, ranged poison dagger and short sword. The key to it though is having marks - getting into neg-faction cities and taking out named npc's for the most part. Then yes, rogue like skills in groups etc. Assassins and bounty hunters are teh best! :)

Mistpaw
07-22-2010, 07:57 PM
OK, that just makes me want to level my Ranger as main instead of my druid. Masochistic, yes, but willing to represent!

Skope
07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
You shouldn't be too disheartened by the raiding scene. Admittedly, it is *grotesquely* ugly at the moment, but with further patches/expansions and planes it will ease up quite a bit. Currently there's just not much content out there to raid, making it very crowded (though the current rules certainly don't help much either), and because of the massive amount of raid-viable and raid-experienced players it becomes very crowded and can get quite ugly.

There are probably more mages/druids/enchanters than most other classes at 50. It does seem like quite a few necros have been put aside to level *true* mains, but there's still a good number of them.

It will always be a safe bet to make a DPS melee/caster: rogues/rangers/wizzies/monks. They're far more viable with more than 1 in a group, whereas you can't say the same for clerics/druids/tanks/utility(shaman/bard). having 2 rogues speeds things up far more significantly than if you were to have 2 druids.

But bear in mind that these things change VERY frequently. It seems like every couple weeks there's a new posh alt-class that gets swamped and subsequently quit once the person manages to reach the low teens or 20s. Best advice i can give you is to pick what's the most fun and most likely to keep you entertained for the longest period of time.