PDA

View Full Version : EQLive Classic Server?

Lowlife
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Although it would most likely never happen, and if it did, wouldn't be as legit classic as p99, if EQLive started a classic server, how many of you would leave and play on Live? And if so, what lessons learned from p99 would u take when starting up there? What race/class would you play in retrospect of your p99 experience?

Toony
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Although it would most likely never happen, and if it did, wouldn't be as legit classic as p99, if EQLive started a classic server, how many of you would leave and play on Live? And if so, what lessons learned from p99 would u take when starting up there? What race/class would you play in retrospect of your p99 experience?

SOE has repeatedly stated they don't have the resources available to recreate a true classic server. I would never give them another red cent for the original EQ live even if they tried.

That said, they have one more chance to get something out of me, EQ3 should be several years away at best however.

nilbog
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't play here, so I might play there. Guess that doesn't count as leaving though.

My experiences on p99 would lead me to believe that Sony's classic server would suffer from the same game mechanics flaws, and would progressively be fixed, if that was their goal.

From their own experience, I'd hope their server was time-based, and not target unlocks. Otherwise, Kunark would be opened within a couple months.

So, I'd start with an overpowered caster. Erudite magician sounds good.

Paxton
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
No. Why? This place is perfect.

Only way I'd join is if Verant became a company again and John Smedley was running the project.

Agecroft
07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
It's perfect here! I love the integrity of the dev team.

Keep up the good work!

Overcast
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Otherwise, Kunark would be opened within a couple months.

^^ Which is why I probably wouldn't be too interested in playing on Live..

Messianic
07-19-2010, 03:18 PM
I would so not pay to play an EQclassic server run by SOE when I can play this one run by individuals with a vision of preserving the classic/kunark/velious experience.

Overcast
07-19-2010, 03:20 PM
I would so not pay to play an EQclassic server run by SOE when I can play this one run by individuals with a vision of preserving the classic/kunark/velious experience.

I would highly support Sony 'outsourcing' an EQ classic server to this dev team and would in fact pay for it, if the 'vision' could be maintained and perhaps even added to - with new content that's in line with the concept of a difficult but rewarding MMO.

Instead of easy MMO's - that could never really be rewarding, since they are too easy.

Kambris
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
http://gucomics.com/comics/2003/gu_20030407.jpg

Messianic
07-19-2010, 03:37 PM
http://gucomics.com/comics/2003/gu_20030407.jpg

As funny as this is, I think it was always kind of unfair to SoE to criticize "the vision." It is true that there were contradictions and discrepancies even in their official statements about what "the vision" was, but you can rarely find large organizations that don't have some contradictions within their goals.

Some aspects of "the vision" were fairly clear, others were unclear. As gamers tend to be really pessimistic and overly critical (see comic book guy from the Simpsons), they heavily focused on the unclear/contradictory parts.

Kambris
07-19-2010, 03:40 PM
If anything I think that particular comic is rather... depressing. :l

Brund the Decrepit
07-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Only way I'd join is if Verant became a company again and Nilbog was running the project.

There, now we are talking..... ;)

Lowlife
07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
There, now we are talking..... ;)

/AGREE

Yoite
07-19-2010, 05:59 PM
probably not. I have been very very impressed with this project. even more so than paid to play games such as Warhammer Online, aka Failhammer.

eqdruid76
07-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Only way I'd join is if Verant became a company again and John Smedley was running the project.

Because no one destroys a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game quite like John Smedley.

Reiker
07-19-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd play a shaman since Kunark would actually get released.

Lowlife
07-19-2010, 08:07 PM
prolly a troll warrior to put a dent in the "WE NEED A TANK AT xxxxx PST" that would more than likely also happen there in a sea of n3kr0z and dr00dz

gprater
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't play here, so I might play there. Guess that doesn't count as leaving though.

What game if any do you play and where?...just curious

Rael
07-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Rumour has it the new live server (Trakanon) will be another progression server

fastboy21
07-20-2010, 07:58 AM
i still think so also, but they just (few days ago) removed the progression server forum from their forums section. That isn't a good sign for more progression.

UrsusMajor
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
i still think so also, but they just (few days ago) removed the progression server forum from their forums section. That isn't a good sign for more progression.

They did that because their was no actual progression server anymore after the mergers. They also said that if they were to make a new progression server, that the forum section would return.

Dac321
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Rumour has it the new live server (Trakanon) will be another progression server

I'm surprised SOE would be willing to do that. Especially after how fail the first 2 were.

The problem with progression servers on EQ, is you have 2 main factions

People that want to play Classic at a fair pace vs People that are raid hungry that want to fly through the content.

All in all, its just gonna be a big QQ fest.

guineapig
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm surprised SOE would be willing to do that. Especially after how fail the first 2 were.

The problem with progression servers on EQ, is you have 2 main factions

People that want to play Classic at a fair pace vs People that are raid hungry that want to fly through the content.

All in all, its just gonna be a big QQ fest.

This pretty much sums it up. If they posted a progression schedule ahead of time, that clearly stated that such and such will not be unlocked before this date, then maybe it would work out a little better... but who knows.

Serrack
07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
SOE will never get another penny from me. I'm sorry but even though it's been 8 years since I paid a sub fee to them, there's just too much (bloody) water under the bridge between them as a company and me as a customer.

P1999 on the other hand, has everything that EQ had in it's halcyon days with improvements besides.

Might as well take this opportunity to thank the dev community here for all their hard work and time committed. It is very much appreciated.

Reiker
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM

I guess if Dac321 didn't like the server, then that makes it go down in the books as a failure, regardless if it made SOE more money than anything they've produced in years.

Phallax
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Theres certain types of people like myself that love to start over on new toons when the server is new. I played 4 different servers on WoW because theyd be new and it was exciting to play a world where everyone was new again, see how the economy builds its self etc etc.

I started over once on EQ but it didnt stick because at the time I was a hardcore raider, so my time was kinda limited to playing 1 server or the other.

With that said, if Sony were to make a new progression server the only way Id pay to play it was if it were time locked, 3-4 months per expansion seems good to me. Anything faster or just content unlocked I doubt Id play because you would just have 1 powerhouse guild burn through everything as fast as they could, even if I were in that guild it wouldnt be enjoyable.

Phallax
07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Because no one destroys a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game quite like John Smedley.

You should have just kept to not posting

Hasbinbad
07-20-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd play a shaman since Kunark would actually get released.
You are SUCH a bitch.

Dac321
07-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I guess if Dac321 didn't like the server, then that makes it go down in the books as a failure, regardless if it made SOE more money than anything they've produced in years.

It has nothing to do whether or not I like it, I personally thought the concept was cool. However, it was a failure. Take a look at the figures. More then half the people left after the first 7 months due to the content being rushed. They made a server that couldn't please both the standard player and the hardcore player.

Reiker
07-20-2010, 01:42 PM
It has nothing to do whether or not I like it, I personally thought the concept was cool. However, it was a failure. Take a look at the figures. More then half the people left after the first 7 months due to the content being rushed. They made a server that couldn't please both the standard player and the hardcore player.

The servers were absolutely fucking packed the first month, I'd say easily 2000 players per server. Now, SOE doesn't make any additional money from people switching servers to progression, but nearly everyone I knew on progression was a re-sub. So let's lowball and use some extremely conservative figures and say that half of all players were resubs, and that each server lost 150 subscriptions every month. This should give us a very low-end look at revenue.

Month 1: 2000 x 15 = $30000 Vanilla
Month 2: 1850 x 15 = $27750 Kunark
Month 3: 1700 x 15 = $25500 Velious
Month 4: 1550 x 15 = $23250 Luclin
Month 5: 1400 x 15 = $21000 PoP
Month 6: 1250 x 15 = $18750 Loy/LDON
Month 7: 1100 x 15 = $16500 GoD

Total subscription revenue Vanilla -> GoD: $162,750, low end figure.

"Failure"

You are SUCH a bitch.

Reported for being a virgin.

UrsusMajor
07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Only problem at the moment is someone over on the FoH boards is saying that although they don’t know what kind of server it’s going to be, they don’t think it’s going to be a time-locked progression server, which is like the only kind of server people would come back for.

IMO the two server types that would bring in the most people are either a classic server probably mirroring the MAC server or a time-locked progression server. Do those two and SOE will pull in a ton of people. Don’t do those two and you’ll get crap for resubs.

I know I really wanted a new progression server when they did the 50/51 server. Sadly since it wasn’t what I wanted, I didn’t resub for it.

Dac321
07-20-2010, 01:56 PM
The servers were absolutely fucking packed the first month, I'd say easily 2000 players per server. Now, SOE doesn't make any additional money from people switching servers to progression, but nearly everyone I knew on progression was a re-sub. So let's lowball and use some extremely conservative figures and say that half of all players were resubs, and that each server lost 150 subscriptions every month. This should give us a very low-end look at revenue.

Nah...

Reiker
07-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Well thought out retort, Dac321. *golfclap*

Phallax
07-20-2010, 03:23 PM

For 7 months, $160k for a company like Sony is actually a failure.

Reiker
07-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Well I'm not about to argue how much money SOE should be making from EQ. But for a time, the progression servers had more or comparable population than their other standard servers, with very little additional cost (the whole concept was basically created by 1 dev in his spare time).

Malrubius
07-20-2010, 05:01 PM
There's more than one way to measure "success". Money is one, and maybe SOE succeeded there (although tell that to Blizzard lol).

Nilbog and co. are not making money out of this venture, but it sure as hell has been a success.

So...progression servers, eh, fail.

OngorDrakan
07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I would play...........If they made Infected Paw as it was originally. I'd rather donate my money to P99 than pay Sony.

Reiker
07-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Splitpaw isn't "as it was originally" on P99... dunno what you're talking about. The zone was reverted to the same condition it is here during progression.

OngorDrakan
07-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I think you missed my point. I would play on a Sony Classic Server if it was the original Paw. Nothing to do with P99. :)

Rael
07-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Especially after how fail the first 2 were.

Both the Sleeper and Combine were absolutely packed when they launched, there must have been loads of reactivated accounts, both were heavily populated (moreso than p99) until at least Luclin era and Realm of Insanity are probably the #1 EQ Live guild in the world at the moment after catching up to modern day content.

Striiker
07-21-2010, 09:17 AM

"Failure"

You can easily triple your figure if they locked the progression to a minimum of 4 months per expansion. (I think it would be best if it were locked longer.) So, if each server period were locked for 4 months, and using the above calculations, the amount at the end = $651,000
In fact, I think that they would see an increase as each expansion launches early on (Kunark for example on P99 is viewed as a point at which the server population will surge). If done right and marketed correctly, they could easily extend the revenue to $1,000,000.00 (Granted, this would still not be a significant amount for SOE.) This I think would be the issue though in that SOE really screwed up with the original progression servers. I was one of those who played it early on and I loved it. Then it became obvious that a lot of content was left in which should not be there. The Qeynos instanced zone is a great example. I was in Qeynos Hills and I'd constantly see players from the big guilds "beaming up" to the instanced zone. I even gave it a shot to see what it was. There were items in the zone which were very powerful relative to the original old world content. It was like the devs were told to make the progression server but with minimum resources or a tight lid on the budget to do so. P99 in contrast is a great project devoted to taking the time to "do it right". I love playing on P99 and plan to do so for years to come. I am also excited at the prospect of a second server many years off after Velious is done as the new server will have all of the bugs ironed out.