PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Snare Resists

Splorf22
09-29-2013, 09:10 PM
So I have been experimenting with my Wizard again and he's now 29. I was told this was the Glorious Level At Which Everything Gets Easier but so far I haven't found that. I am trying the gnolls outside Paw. Right now it it looks something like:

cast snare -> land on 3/4 mobs -> run more -> snare the outlier -> spend 30 seconds getting them circled up, which is hard because they are quite separated and moving very slowly -> snare again -> land on 3/4 mobs -> snare again -> land on a different 3/4 mobs -> nuke

Thats 300 mana on AE snare which even with my twink manapool is over 15%. I regularly fail to finish stuff off this way. When I just run away, it takes forever as I have to run all the way across the zone, but I always have plenty of mana.

Curious if anyone has a good solution to this. Although I have to be honest, the wizard is pretty boring anyway, and not very effective in groups.

Estu
09-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Solution: target monsters as close to light blue as possible (but still dark blue). Then you get very few resists. My guess is that the monsters you're targeting are too high level relative to you. I don't remember having a ton of trouble quadding with my wizard at that level, though it was a long time ago. I think I was doing Everfrost mammoths at that time? Anyway, certainly as you level up the snare mana cost matters less.

Also, "boring and not very effective in groups" is pretty much right. Maybe find a bard to pair up with (or any low HP kiter).

Vexenu
09-30-2013, 01:57 AM
I tried SK at 29 on my wiz and had the same problem. As Estu said, it's all about finding dark blue con mobs at the low end of the range. From 29-33 I recommend quadding the brutes outside Dalnir. There are three that spawn in the room straight down the tunnel and one that wanders up and down it. With a little experimenting and some dexterous use of your temp staff you can pull them all, bunch them up and quad them along the shoreline without too much trouble.

Lojik
09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
I found that there are some levels on a wizard that are easier "in theory" rather than in reality. You need to have good spells but also good targets. Level 29 is one of those that it's hard to find appropriate critters to kill. Those gnolls can be anywhere from 25-29 I believe so they're just too high level, and they seem to have a fair amount of hitpoints. Some skeletons in LOIO are good to kite at 29, mammoths in EFP too...although it can be a pain tracking down 4 of them. I'm sure there are some better spots, but once you get 33 or 34ish I'd head to firiona vie to kite pirates. Them be mad easy.

Estu
09-30-2013, 10:14 PM
I remember tracking down four mammoths in Everfrost being pretty dang easy. Then again, at the time I think it was a less popular spot than it may be now.

Tecmos Deception
09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
The trick with finding mammoths for me seemed to be knowing where they spawn and keeping an eye on a timer. Once you snag 4 of them, even if there are other people looking for them, you can keep getting the same 4 every time they repop basically.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I had lots of trouble with Gnolls at that level too - they just seem to be either too high level or they have high MR.

Brute cave is a fantastic idea till 33ish. Pirates in FV a great idea - just don't let em get a jump on you from behind. Can also probably do Drolvargs too although you're likely to get unwanted adds and then level range is kinda wacky (savages are 28 or so, snarlers are 36).

Picked
10-04-2013, 03:06 AM
Spent the last 2 or 3 levels out here doing this exact same thing. I occasionally get a resist on snare but never two in a row. Of course I came here at 30 and am now 33. Might need one more level under your belt.

As for wizards getting really good...it doesn't show until 34. That's when we get our most efficient AoE

billw134
10-04-2013, 05:29 AM
1. How far apart are the gnolls you pull outside paw? Can't you just tighten your circle to speed up bunching? Assuming you have jboots. Do you pull, bunch, then Snare, and the one resist is causing you to bunch them up again? I am just wondering as I have never done quadding.

2. Can you not just zone into Splitpaw upon oom?

diplo
10-04-2013, 08:58 AM
i started quadding the gnolls at 29. keep in mind that these are like level 27 or something. i do fondly remember from 29-31 i would have to cast the snare about 2-3x until i've finally snared all 4 bc resists were so high and usually my 3rd snare attempt fails, i would gate out and try all over.

Lojik
10-04-2013, 09:24 AM
1. How far apart are the gnolls you pull outside paw? Can't you just tighten your circle to speed up bunching? Assuming you have jboots. Do you pull, bunch, then Snare, and the one resist is causing you to bunch them up again? I am just wondering as I have never done quadding.

2. Can you not just zone into Splitpaw upon oom?

I don't think getting them bunched is the problem.

Zoning upon oom is fine but it basically sets you back 10 mins every time it happens cause you just wasted all your mana and didn't get the kills.