PDA

View Full Version : Necro pets suck

Tecmos Deception
09-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Jesus. The first two pets I get with my level 12 spell hit for 10 and are light blue.

Certainly no concerns here about these pathetic excuses for pets stealing any of my xp.

I know this is just a "I remember back when..." thing, but I know that back in the day I never summoned repeatedly to try to get a higher-level pet (I don't even think I did it with my first necro on p99 ~3 years ago), and yet I still remember feeling like low-level pets were beastly. QQ.

Tecmos Deception
09-18-2013, 09:22 AM
I take it the chart on the wiki about pets is wrong for necros? Level 9 pet shouldn't be light blue to me at 12, neither should a level 11 pet be able to hit for 16 if a 9 only hits for 10.

Vellaen
09-18-2013, 11:23 AM
You're not the only one who noticed something: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115284

I don't buy the argument from that thread that the level 12 pet is weaker because you get new DoTs; it still shouldn't produce a LB pet at the level you get it. Something may be wrong with the spell itself.

Uteunayr
09-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't be getting LB pets until 20+ easily, and I think even that is being conservative.

But hey, a weaker pet means it is easier to stay above 51% damage. Stronger pets, more difficult to get full XP.

One way of thinking about pets that has stuck with me as a necro is when someone told me "Don't think of your pet as a pet... Think of it as a DoT that breaks roots." So weak pets are something that I remember, and I do remember some level variance in pets, but not to where you would see a light blue at such a low level spell.

Tecmos Deception
09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah. I feel like I remember even- and yellow-con pets being a thing with the first 4 summons, at least. Too lazy to research and bug report though! :p

Malone88
09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I don't ever recall a white or yellow pet...but maybe I wasn't paying attention
at lower levels. Regarding pets as "extra dots" is pretty much what I do also, because
they are pretty fragile little beasts.

Estu
09-18-2013, 05:53 PM
I found the Wiki info to be accurate for the 1, 4, and 8 pets, i.e. you would get a level 1 pet at level 1, and you could get level 5 at 4 and level 9 at 8 if you tried enough times.

Potus
09-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Yeah you shouldn't be getting light blue at 12. You should be summoning even con and yellows.

Autotune
09-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Light blue pets shouldn't even be a thing until lvl 29.

I don't think you are even supposed to see light blue mobs till lvl 20+ Pretty sure they were supposed to go from blue to green until 20 or so.

Lopretni
09-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Is that normal for Mages too? Summoning pets that are white-yellow til 20+?

Tecmos Deception
09-19-2013, 08:54 AM

Well. Wiki says mages should be able to get yellow pets until 16 and even pets at 20, for what that's worth.

Potus
09-19-2013, 07:48 PM

Minor history lesson: When EQ launched, all pet levels were supposed to be roughly plus or minus one spell level of the caster. Verant realized at higher levels this was super overpowered and nerfed it pretty quickly (along with other pet things like Fine Steel daggers reducing delay on attacks). They left the lower level code in because it's not that OP to have a level 12 pet with a level 12 caster fighting monsters, but a level 49 pet would tank way better than any PC and would solo a lot of content.