PDA

View Full Version : What stats should a fresh Enchanter aim for when gearing?

Obsidus
09-16-2013, 10:57 AM
I can't resist the urge to roll an Enchanter anymore, so I'm gonna do it. The question I have though, is should I prioritize CHA or INT on gear? From what I have seen, CHA items are decently cheap (which is good, because I have 200p to my name), with things like Cats Eye Bracelets and A Crude Stein packing good CHA while being very cheap. I'm guessing that there is some sort of sweet spot in regards to the positive benefits of CHA on charm/mez, and beyond that I should aim for INT gear? Not like I can go all out with purchases, but I just want to have an idea of what I should fill my slots with. Thanks. ;)

Nagash
09-16-2013, 01:26 PM
CHA if you want to charm (get reliable at 190+, pretty dodgy between 170-190, I woudn't rely on it below this). It will also be cheaper to buy cha stuff than int.

Tecmos Deception
09-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I always just tried to get as much charisma as I could. You can get charisma in most slots (earrings, rings, wrists, neck, face, offhand all being especially good+cheap slots for it). Then once you are higher level and your charisma buffs start putting you up over the charisma cap of 255, you can swap in hp or int or ac or whatever gear where it is most efficient.

pasi
09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Charisma.

INT really doesn't mean much outside of AE groups where you can swap to a full INT set. Charisma allows you to gear more toward HP.

Furthermore, a high naked charisma is good for CR'n yourself with pacify so also dump your starting points into charisma!

Splorf22
09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
I definitely regret going full int with Loraen (read too many stupid guides). Intelligence helps a bit when you are very low level but once you hit L20-30 or so your mana pool won't matter as much, and at 51 with taps its not important at all.

So yeah, go full cha on startup and try and get it to 200 asap.

Obsidus
09-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! Good to see Tecmo's respond, as his stream is what pushed me over the edge and made it impossible for me to continue my Monk. ;)

Tecmos Deception
09-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! Good to see Tecmo's respond, as his stream is what pushed me over the edge and made it impossible for me to continue my Monk. ;)

Lol. Loraen and the solo challenge convinced me to make a chanter, now I'm just passing along the fun! You should bug pasi to stream if you want to see someone REALLY push the envelope :)

Obsidus
09-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Lol. Loraen and the solo challenge convinced me to make a chanter, now I'm just passing along the fun! You should bug pasi to stream if you want to see someone REALLY push the envelope :)

That sounds awesome. :) I never really realized it before, but it seems pretty obvious to me now that Enchanters have the highest skill cap in the game. That more than anything is the real appeal to me, and no so much OMGIWANTTOBERICHLIKETECMO'S!!!1

Estu
09-17-2013, 12:14 AM
That sounds awesome. :) I never really realized it before, but it seems pretty obvious to me now that Enchanters have the highest skill cap in the game. That more than anything is the real appeal to me, and no so much OMGIWANTTOBERICHLIKETECMO'S!!!1

I don't claim to be an expert on enchanters or bards, but I feel like bards would definitely be contenders for that title as well.

Obsidus
09-17-2013, 07:04 AM
I don't claim to be an expert on enchanters or bards, but I feel like bards would definitely be contenders for that title as well.

I'd say you're correct. The way I see it, in general day to day combat situations, a good Bard can probably outshine anyone if they're able to effectively twist as many songs as possible, while still managing to engage in meaningful melee combat etc. However watching Tecmo's streams makes me drool because the Enchanter toolkit is so diverse and powerful, that you can pull off some amazing stuff if you know how to and don't screw it up and die in 5 seconds. :p

Obsidus
09-17-2013, 02:28 PM
One last question! For any of you that have actually farmed it, rather than bought it, how much of a pain in the ass is it to get the Goblin Gazughi Ring? The wiki makes it sound like it isn't difficult aside from the possibility of having it taken by another player, but I dunno.

Yinikren
09-18-2013, 03:15 PM
It's a fairly common mob with an extremely rare droprate that gets KS'd by other players and half the other mobs roaming around. You could probably EXP there starting at 16ish through to 22-24 for your best chance of seeing one.

Also, apparently I'm the only enc on the server who *almost* disregards CHA. Buffed, my CHA is around 170ish I think, been leveling my SK and haven't been on my enc to check. However, I am a firm believer that levels over the mob + tash >>>>>>>> CHA for charming mobs. CHA, at least how I remembered from live, affected the initial resist check (Your target resisted the Boltan's Agacerie spell.) but did nothing for duration once it actually landed. Classic may be different, but I can't say my lower CHA has ever gotten me killed from some mob not staying charmed. If charm kept breaking after a minute, then the mob was a level or two below me and never meant to be charmed long-term to begin with. I geared for HP and INT so I could charm for longer periods of time, have a bigger mana (and HP through rune) threshold if and when shit went down, and survive the breaks when they did happen.

This actually reminds me of a something I saw in LOIO leveling my SK.. some twinked enchanter was charm kiting in front of the sarnak fort while I was pulling/fear kiting the charbone and icebone skeletons roaming about. She pulls this warbone skeleton (a monk.. heh. They are about 19ish, she was 24), charms it, hastes it for some reason, and then charm breaks and she gets absolutely mulched... I'm talking two rounds max, she didn't stand half a chance. I checked her gear after she ran back, for shits and giggles - everything was CHA. No HP rings, nothing that stood out as mana gear, she was just geared to the teeth for CHA... and all I could think of was all the good that ended up doing her.

YMMV, my enc is only 54, but for leveling purposes that's what I've followed. My enc hasn't died since 37 when I've solo'd.

Malone88
09-18-2013, 04:05 PM
IMO, cheap CHA gear + 55HP rings will get you pretty far to start off.
Add more +INT stuff as you go to build up your mana pool because
your bread-and-butter spells (Mez, Charm, Slow) require more and more mana as you
get higher level versions of them.

I don't know how important CHA is either, but you probably want it over like 140.
Most charm resists that I see are caused by trying to use pets which are too
close to my level. Most light blue pets will charm for a long time and they won't
beat the crap out of you as much when they break...;)

Elerion
10-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Also, apparently I'm the only enc on the server who *almost* disregards CHA. Buffed, my CHA is around 170ish I think, been leveling my SK and haven't been on my enc to check. However, I am a firm believer that levels over the mob + tash >>>>>>>> CHA for charming mobs. CHA, at least how I remembered from live, affected the initial resist check (Your target resisted the Boltan's Agacerie spell.) but did nothing for duration once it actually landed. Classic may be different, but I can't say my lower CHA has ever gotten me killed from some mob not staying charmed.

On Live, from Velious to GoD (my most active period), CHA was universally accepted as playing a highly important role in keeping mobs charmed. Not just initial resist. I'm fairly sure that was supported by dev quotes. It was never huge, and we never discovered any break points ("get at least X CHA!"), but it definitely helped.

That said, having a slightly lower chance of charm break won't help much if you die more often due to having no HP. It's all about the tradeoffs. Swapping out 10AC/110HP worth of rings to gain 14 CHA is probably not worth it. Swapping out a +10 INT +10HP Stein of Moggok to get +12 CHA from RoIG probably is.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
10-18-2013, 09:45 AM
I play a high elf enchanter and geared him almost entirely +int with the remaining points (5 I believe) in +cha. My unbuffed cha is 185 and 200 with my level 24 cha buff. I notice a very large difference in charm breaks between these numbers so I have a feeling (although untested) that the 200 soft cap greatly increases the duration of your charm.

With that being said, +cha equipment is easy to find and cheap. If I were to do it over again I would have rolled DE, maxed +cha and dumped the remainder into +int while looking for as much +cha equipment to get me to at least 200 then going for +hp (+55 hp rings are bauss!!!). Keep in mind that many pieces of +cha equipment also give +int later on so you really won't have to sacrifice when it counts the most.

-Catherin-
10-18-2013, 11:28 AM
After all my time playing an Enchanter I still just can't support CHA having a massive effect. 200 is a good number to shoot for, but anything above that seems pretty negligible. The only thing I can see a higher CHA having a decent impact on is lulling

I balanced my CHA and INT to get them both to/over the 200 mark. anything in excess of that I started swapping out for more survivability (AKA HP gear)

dhoushi
10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
CHA doesn't have a massive effect on charm however it does have some. Making sure to charm level appropriate targets #1 and to keep their MR as low as possible #2 has a greater impact. CHA's effect is a distant third and helps for instance with the regular resist checks charmed mobs have to break free.

If you plan to charm a large amount obviously cha is going to be a great benefit, however I would be careful ignoring intelligence altogether, especially pre-mana drains, intelligence provides more burst/control to break camps, cha provides stability.

jcmtg
10-18-2013, 02:47 PM
One last question! For any of you that have actually farmed it, rather than bought it, how much of a pain in the ass is it to get the Goblin Gazughi Ring? The wiki makes it sound like it isn't difficult aside from the possibility of having it taken by another player, but I dunno.

Rolled dark elf for hide. never takes more than 4 activations to break charm. it's also fewer clicks.

I've wanted the godzuki ring for the longest time but solo'd to 54 without it. it would have saved maybe 4 hours out of yknow 50 played.

Malone88
10-18-2013, 05:35 PM
One last question! For any of you that have actually farmed it, rather than bought it, how much of a pain in the ass is it to get the Goblin Gazughi Ring? The wiki makes it sound like it isn't difficult aside from the possibility of having it taken by another player, but I dunno.It's not a difficult camp, just mind-numbing. I've been at it about 8 hours now, killed about 20 couriers, and still no ring. There's a reason why it sells for 8 or 9K at EC, because the camp is brutally long.

dancingclown22
10-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Rolled dark elf for hide. never takes more than 4 activations to break charm. it's also fewer clicks.

I've wanted the godzuki ring for the longest time but solo'd to 54 without it. it would have saved maybe 4 hours out of yknow 50 played.

How exactly is Hide fewer clicks than the ring? lol. I rolled a DE and hide sucks for charm breaking. The only use I find for it now is being able to hide when afk. Not reliable when you're trying to efficiently charm solo.

The camp definitely sucks. And if you follow Tacite's guide on the wiki, you're basically killing a mob every 15 seconds between the 2 PHs. An uncommon spawn, with a super rare drop rate with a very fast respawn time on PHS. Sucks, unless you're lucky. But after doing the camp myself, I can appreciate the price of the ring. Just do it a couple hours here and there, it's pretty easy to get the PH cycle going, and you'll get it eventually. You're better off waiting until at least 30+ to camp ring to keep up with the fast spawns.

Also, I completely agree with dhoushi how charisma for charm breaking is a distant third. When I charm DBs, all I think about is shit I forgot to tash and my charisma of 190 sucks. Charm a light blue, and you forget about what tash & CHA are. However, with that being said, if you're just charm soloing, DBs is probably better because you'll get more xp, and you don't need charm to last that long. Light Blues work great if you're grouped with others, wanting your pet to last.

jcmtg
10-22-2013, 05:21 PM
I meant that it's fewer clicks if it succeeds on attempt #1.

pasi
10-22-2013, 07:02 PM
The main point of charisma for an enchanter is to maximize your ability to lull in dangerous places. Outside of large chunks of HP, it is the most important stat for high-end solo enchanters. Anything it does for charm is simply icing on the cake.

JayMcNugget
10-28-2013, 03:50 PM
I went for all charisma until I hit about 210 or so. Then I started working on AC/HP. The AC/HP gear has saved my ass so many times. Meanwhile, I can't even think of one time where I died where I would have lived if I had a little more mana. I'm almost level 40, and that's probably happened once or twice. The AC/HP gear though saves me frequently.

I use the level 4 mes spell on dark blue mobs and below and don't have mana issues at all.

ReoDobbs
10-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Outside of caster mobs (have to cast multiple times), what's the point of the goblin ring? Taper enchantment costs next to no mana and as a newbie I'm thinking my 9k can go a long ways elsewhere.

Vellaen
10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Outside of caster mobs (have to cast multiple times), what's the point of the goblin ring? Taper enchantment costs next to no mana and as a newbie I'm thinking my 9k can go a long ways elsewhere.

It's mostly convenience. The higher level you get, the more precious your spell slots become, and keeping taper memmed or swapping it in every time can get annoying. The ring also gives you the ability to break charm at the exact moment you want. This means you don't have to worry about one mob or the other dying before you break charm, or breaking too soon and having to spend a ton of mana nuking one of your targets down.

I'm as miserly as anyone on the server, so I completely understand the argument for using a 5 mana first-level spell instead of spending 8-10k, but I still consider my Enchanter's ring to be money very well-spent.

Crede
10-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Extra spell slot + 1%-2% charm breaks = Win

In all reality though. Once you get it, not only does it make charm killing more efficient, but also just more fun. I would definitely recommend getting it. It's not a hard camp in terms of difficulty or availability, it just requires some time. But well worth the time invested.

Plus, you could also camp a second one for cash if you need it.

Malone88
10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Also, as you start charming higher and higher level mobs, taper enchantment doesn't cut it anymore because these mobs have buffs on them. Takes more than one cast of taper enchantment to break the charm. Have to use a stronger spell like Pillage Enchantment, which takes a valuable spell slot and requires mana, unlike the ring.

pasi
10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
The biggest reason for a goblin ring is to break charm without using encountering spellcast recovery. Furthermore, should it ever be implemented, instant clickies should refresh spell gems at this point on the timeline.

The second reason is that you should never have charm on the first slot if fighting casters. When caster mobs go oom, they start casting as they regen mana - the spell they usually cast upon mana regen ticks at this point is a form of dispel. Ideally, if fighting shaman npcs (enchanters too, but those are very rare), you want the top slot open for slows to dispel with a buffer of a few junk buffs between charm.

goshozal
10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
I had been thinking of trying that against irritating high level shaman mobs... their slow spell is relatively fast casting and if I get a clutch resist, there's no time to stop it. Have you ever intentionally prepped your charm mob by giving it a trash buff and leaving the top slot open? I was thinking of just calming prior to mez/tash/charm and then using cancel to get rid of the calm effect. Have you done it? Worth trying?

Nothing kills my soloboner quite like when a fucking ilis shaman lands slow on my pet.

pasi
10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah, Turgurs and Togors lasts forever, so I specifically try to leave the top 1-2 slots open if I'm soloing an area like Chef. 2 slots is better since shamans are also going to DoT/malo, but 1 is usually sufficient. The most important thing is to have charm as deep as possible so that you can freely cancel magic until you eventually hit slow. See-invis is my goto shit buff since it's instant with Bracer of the Hidden, but strengthen works well too. When you're first charming the NPC, you'll have to use detrimental spells so weaken works well for that.