PDA

View Full Version : Trading in the Lammys to help front load Agro

Lammy
09-14-2013, 11:07 PM
40 gnome warrior

I'm having a little trouble front loading Agro in some group settings.

In particular shaman slows.

Right now:

2x lammys
Sash of dragon born

I'm considering trading out the weapons and some slots and sacrificing some STR and HP for dex and procing weapons at 46/47.

Sarnak war hammer / kunzar

Any thoughts?

Motec
09-14-2013, 11:26 PM
You'll find you'll have more Raw rage per minute with a couple of ykeshas, which proc at 37. Obsidian shards are a low cost alternative.
Other notable weap at that level would be kunzar kujunch.

A rod of lamentation, or other similar 2h will also be more aggro than Lam's and probably more reliable in xp groups when potential aggro is such a valuable source. Your offhand double attack skill is so low that DW is a poor rage generator from raw dps alone.

Rod of lamentation, or the range of 30/40ish 2handers.

Lammy
09-14-2013, 11:35 PM
I agree. Until 30-35ish the Lammy's could do the trick in my previous experiences. Now it seems as the casters are coming into their own with more powerful spell lines the DPS alone isn't enough.

Maybe ill pickup a yak and kunzar to play around with for now and see how it goes.

captnamazing
09-15-2013, 04:43 AM
yaks tank dragons dude

Tasslehofp99
09-15-2013, 05:35 AM
I always thought obsidian shard was like the best aggro weapon pre-epics, but it seems as if on p99 the .1 sec stun portion of yak proc generates insane aggro.

Motec
09-15-2013, 05:42 AM
ykesha always was fairly darn good.

kaev
09-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Stun agro here seems about same as live was, was always better than obsidian shatter.

To the OP:

Ykeshan Warclub procs at 40 and has better ratio than SSoY. Also, the club is usually a fair bit cheaper to buy than SSoY.

Sarnak Warhammer is v nice at L46+ when it procs. Straight up stun is nearly as much agro as stun + small dd of Ykesha and you do better melee damage to easily make up the diff.

Strifen
09-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Yeah grab 2 yak clubs, cheap and effective.

Lammy
09-15-2013, 03:26 PM
What's your take on sacrificing some STR/HP for more Dex?

captnamazing
09-15-2013, 07:16 PM
What's your take on sacrificing some STR/HP for more Dex?

Since DEX = more procs, and procs is a very important part of warrior aggro, it is worthwhile to have a small exchange of other stats. Arguably, in a good group your DPS shouldn't matter, so STA/HP is more important to be a good tank. A good trade would be Sarnak Hide mask for Grotesque mask. Yes, STR is a very important overall stat for landing hits and dealing more damage, but remember, even if your attack misses you still generate hate.

Even if you only increase your proc rate from once a minute to 1.1 times a minute, over 100 procs that's still 10 more instances where you'll have sticky aggro.

edit: better yet make friends with a shaman and get a dex buff :P

Lammy
09-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Currently I'm frustrated with the inability to hold agro in pickup groups.

I remember, years ago in classic live, DPS classes used to let the warrior generate a little agro for 5-8% of the mobs health before engaging, now everyone just zergs the mob and expects me to hold agro.

My approach is

1-Taunt
2-Attack on
3-Kick
4-Disarm
5- Repeat 3&4

From here on out use taunt for snap agro when needed. With the theory that taunt is hate+1 I feel like repetively mashing taunt while I do have agro is useless. Am I wrong in thinking this? When proc kicks in agro is great, but I can go a whole pull without even seeing a proc.

khanable
09-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the warrior class, shit is rough.

You're doing right with taunt. If you're at the top of the hate list, taunt won't do shit. Reserve it to attempt to snap aggro back. I try to follow up a snap taunt with an immediate kick - something to push me to the top.

Best advice I can give you is to ask for roots, or explain to the group that you holding aggro requires them to not blow their load immediately and/or they need to manage their aggro the best they can.

(Probably easier to ask for roots than to get epic tstaff monk twink to chill the fuck out)

Vadd
09-15-2013, 11:48 PM
2x SSoY, I was playing around with em the other day. Still work at 60.

Lammy
09-16-2013, 02:49 AM
I try to follow up a snap taunt with an immediate kick - something to push me to the top

Yes. I've been trying to keep disarm and kick up on different times so that If snap agro is necessary I can follow up with either or... for that extra push, as you say. I tried the Kunzar K tonight, and it seems when that procs, I have agro the rest of the fight.

Ykeshas are on my list to get now. Ill be hanging in Kithicor in the times I'm not grouped.

Motec
09-16-2013, 03:26 AM
do not sarifice any hp or ac for dex.

Especially now you're moving into complete heal levels, but even still a large hp buffer is more aggro buffer before heals land. Very efficient way to spend mana as a cleric is as late as possible...for aggro reasons and for aligning med ticks and CC/etc.

Motec
09-16-2013, 03:26 AM
and taunt does nothing if you have aggro. Use taunt when you lose aggro, not when you have it

Nirgon
09-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Currently I'm frustrated with the inability to hold agro in pickup groups.

Fear not Lammy, your glory days may return.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122260

cs616
09-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Fear not Lammy, your glory days may return.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122260

I'm stalking you in threads.

But for real, lammys are not the problem, THIS is the problem...

I remember, years ago in classic live, DPS classes used to let the warrior generate a little agro for 5-8% of the mobs health before engaging, now everyone just zergs the mob and expects me to hold agro.

As I said in the other thread, people are quick to blame mechanics when in actuality they are just not playing their classes correctly. Players jumping on a mob instantly, those same players probably not reducing their aggro (evade, FD, jolt), and this guy using taunt incorrectly (no offense, but if you're using it off the bat, that is incorrect) are all contributing factors.

Lets stop blaming the weapons and mechanics and actually make sure changes need to be made before asking for them.

Nirgon
09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
So do you think efreeti standard and moss covered twig would need the nerf here because of the threat they generate? I never had those 2 items on one char here, I'm open to opinion.

cs616
09-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I honestly have never seen anyone try to use either of those weapons to generate threat. Only people I've ever seen use MCT and Standard were monks prior to main hand nerf. I would need to test the current threat level of those weapons to make an educated response. Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that procs should be the ONLY way to generate aggro, they're just the primary way. Obviously weapon damage and swings should also contribute. I just don't want to see a bunch of shitty tanks rolling around with crap weapons holding aggro with no skill or knowledge involved, because that would completely destroy what distinguishes a good tank from a bad one, or a good dps from a bad one. If we make it too easy for warriors to hold aggro, the game just becomes easy mode. Players should have to coordinate and work together to be efficient and making it super easy for tanks to hold aggro kills that dynamic.

Lammy
09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Well, let me make something clear. I was and am not advocating for any changes to be made to the mechanics with this thread. I began this thread to learn how to play the warrior class better. It's a relatively new class for me. I was a career long rogue, so I have always been on the other end of this equation.

To address the question of using taunt off the bat, I must clarify that I do this only when there is a designated puller. When I pull, which is preferred, I let the theory of initial agro work to my advantage.

Warthor
09-23-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm stalking you in threads.

But for real, lammys are not the problem, THIS is the problem...

As I said in the other thread, people are quick to blame mechanics when in actuality they are just not playing their classes correctly. Players jumping on a mob instantly, those same players probably not reducing their aggro (evade, FD, jolt), and this guy using taunt incorrectly (no offense, but if you're using it off the bat, that is incorrect) are all contributing factors.

Lets stop blaming the weapons and mechanics and actually make sure changes need to be made before asking for them.

I remember back in live I'd warn 'em once and then just let 'em die. Nothing like death to teach you.