PDA

View Full Version : Would like some info on shaman pet please

Zeonick
09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I just 34 and am really excited to use my pet! I do have some questions though, and I know they have been asked here before as I tried searching, but never really answered.

First, do buffs affect my pet? I know when I put tali on him it says I his hp increased by 134 or w/e. So i'm guessing that works, right? What about str and haste? I tested a little by hitting green mobs with and without str, and it's hits stayed at 22 damage. Maybe this is because it will just hit greens for max always?

Secondly, can I summon two different leveled pets? I say this because when I was hitting the green mobs with my pet that one was swinging for 22. When I went to solo a DB mob my pet at the time was hitting for 24! Can I give my pets weapons to increase their damage? Can they dual wield?

And lastly, What mechanics should I be using to most effectively solo with my pet? My guess is that root/rot is still the most effective and then I just send my pet in and out to add extra damage. But does melee damage break root? I can't remember if it does or not.

As a little side question, should I be using enstill opposed to root now? It does last a lot longer, but costs twice as much mana and seems to break just as often.

Any tips would be extremely appreciated! Thanks everyone.

papercolor
09-10-2013, 04:59 PM
*Edit*
Check out the WIKI...you can find most info you were asking on there.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman

Here is the Shaman section...if you scroll down past spells it gives some info on pets :)

*end edit*

Buffs do affect pet...including quickness etc.

I believe when summoning a pet they can be between a level range...ie your level 34 summon will summon at 28 to 31 lvl pet...something like that.

No you can not summon two pets.

Most effective solo would be Root rot and keep pet for xtra damage.

Cant answer your Root vs Enstill question yet.

Estu
09-10-2013, 06:45 PM
First, do buffs affect my pet?
Yes.

Secondly, can I summon two different leveled pets?
Yes. Oftentimes it will be the case that some pets you summon will be green, while others will be light blue. This is an easy way to tell a low pet from a higher one, though the best way to tell is damage done because it gives you more information.

Can I give my pets weapons to increase their damage?
You used to be able to on this server, but it's been patched out to be more classic. So, no.

And lastly, What mechanics should I be using to most effectively solo with my pet? My guess is that root/rot is still the most effective and then I just send my pet in and out to add extra damage. But does melee damage break root? I can't remember if it does or not.
Yeah, root-dot plus sending in the pet occasionally to do a little damage or to keep aggro on a monster in a multiple pull while you get roots down is pretty much the best option. You can also tank monsters with slow, using your melee DPS and the pet's melee DPS, and you can kite monsters, having your pet chase it and damage it, but neither method is as efficient (unless you're level 60 and have torpor, in which case, tanking can be good). I don't believe melee damage breaks root, and if it does, it's not very often.

As a little side question, should I be using enstill opposed to root now? It does last a lot longer, but costs twice as much mana and seems to break just as often.
You need to use your judgment for this. Some situations call for one root, some situations call for another. In my experience, if I'm just soloing for EXP and root-dotting, the longest duration root is better, because early breaks don't happen often on most monsters I fight, and every root break means I take a lot of damage (I solo in City of Mist, so there's not a lot of room to back away from the monster). If you're grouping and you just need to root a monster that's running away, then the lower mana cost is better, since you don't care about a long duration. If you're grouping and you're CCing monsters with root, then the longer duration is better because fewer breaks means less of a headache for everyone. Et cetera.

DrKvothe
09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
My shaman is 29, but I'm very interested to learn what I've got to look forward to. I did find the following post, however, which might interest you:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117409

this suggests that you should complete one of the turn in quests given by http://wiki.project1999.com/Vira this npc. They give you an item that you can click from backpack. It'll make your pet go away and refund you some of the casting cost. This lets you get the best level pet without blowign too much mana on it.

My guess for root would be to continue to use the cheap one, but idk.

Grats on 34!

Intrinsic
09-11-2013, 03:59 AM
There is also the pet damage table on the wiki so you can tell from this if you've got a decent summon.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Pet_Guide#Shaman_Pets

This is also at the bottom of the Shaman page.

Zeonick
09-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes.

Yes. Oftentimes it will be the case that some pets you summon will be green, while others will be light blue. This is an easy way to tell a low pet from a higher one, though the best way to tell is damage done because it gives you more information.

You used to be able to on this server, but it's been patched out to be more classic. So, no.

Yeah, root-dot plus sending in the pet occasionally to do a little damage or to keep aggro on a monster in a multiple pull while you get roots down is pretty much the best option. You can also tank monsters with slow, using your melee DPS and the pet's melee DPS, and you can kite monsters, having your pet chase it and damage it, but neither method is as efficient (unless you're level 60 and have torpor, in which case, tanking can be good). I don't believe melee damage breaks root, and if it does, it's not very often.

You need to use your judgment for this. Some situations call for one root, some situations call for another. In my experience, if I'm just soloing for EXP and root-dotting, the longest duration root is better, because early breaks don't happen often on most monsters I fight, and every root break means I take a lot of damage (I solo in City of Mist, so there's not a lot of room to back away from the monster). If you're grouping and you just need to root a monster that's running away, then the lower mana cost is better, since you don't care about a long duration. If you're grouping and you're CCing monsters with root, then the longer duration is better because fewer breaks means less of a headache for everyone. Et cetera.

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to know. Its going really well so fat, having the pet adds a ton of utility and I can finally kill annoying green mobs that agro me! Thank

Zeonick
09-11-2013, 04:04 PM
My shaman is 29, but I'm very interested to learn what I've got to look forward to. I did find the following post, however, which might interest you:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117409

this suggests that you should complete one of the turn in quests given by http://wiki.project1999.com/Vira this npc. They give you an item that you can click from backpack. It'll make your pet go away and refund you some of the casting cost. This lets you get the best level pet without blowign too much mana on it.

My guess for root would be to continue to use the cheap one, but idk.

Grats on 34!
This is awesome, thanks! I went to najena to get some terror spines and got a torch on my third goblin mag kill! i was told that was very lucky, but if I go with the torch I have to get fire giant toes and that seems impossible. I may hold out for the broom because I am not sure how ill get those toes..

my phone is putting the first letter or word I type and putting it at the end of my post, no idea why.x

titofuentes
09-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Once you can kill a hill giant you could try killing Gornit in ocean of tears. He drops all four types of toes. He's on sea fury island by pirate camp

webrunner5
09-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Once you can kill a hill giant you could try killing Gornit in ocean of tears. He drops all four types of toes. He's on sea fury island by pirate camp

You can usually get someone there to help you kill him. Fire Giants toes only sell for like 15 to 20 plat.

EVERY Shaman needs to get one of the focus items. Their pet cost a TON of mana to cast one compared to other pet classes. And a lot of them have Reclaim Energy Spell to boot.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
09-12-2013, 01:24 PM
So here are a few details for Shaman pets since I can see some of the basics have been covered already. Any advice I give is under the assumption you have the focus item to Reclaim Energy:

Go and get a mage focus item - I would suggest that if you're low on cash to hold out for either the broom, shovel or stein as the torch can fetch some amazing prices from other players due to the nature of the fire pet.

Summoning a max pet, unless you've got a group that doesn't give you much time before they get started on pulls, is 100% worth it. This is even more true when soloing. In terms of keeping it buffed up its really your call but consider that effective soloing requires you to do 50%+1 damage; by buffing it you are only reducing the total time it takes to kill the mob which may have a negligible effect on how fast you're able to engage the next mob as you only have so much mana.

Your pet is also a very effective mana battery. At some point in time you will be in a group where you are oom and the tank is quickly getting wasted by the mob. Use Reclaim Energy for an emergency boost in mana. This has saved my ass countless times. In addition to that, I often sell and bank before logging off. When I go to FV or wherever to do this I will summon a pet, sit while selling and banking (with maybe a 2 min afk) by which time my mana is 100%. Use this time to buff yourself (usually sta, talisman and regen), Reclaim Pet for +mana and camp. This is very effective as you can get started extremely quickly at the start of youyr next session.

As far as root goes, I almost always use my lowest root (30m, level 5) as I often duo with a melee. This gives the tank enough time to generate hate after I've pulled with a slow so that I effectively take no damage. In addition, you need to consideer how fast you will be engaging your next targets if you are CC. This same principal can be used for slow as well in that your best slow is not always your most effective slow.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Long time lurker, first time post.

You've gotten better at forumquest (1)

Zeonick
09-12-2013, 02:04 PM
So here are a few details for Shaman pets since I can see some of the basics have been covered already. Any advice I give is under the assumption you have the focus item to Reclaim Energy:

Go and get a mage focus item - I would suggest that if you're low on cash to hold out for either the broom, shovel or stein as the torch can fetch some amazing prices from other players due to the nature of the fire pet.

Summoning a max pet, unless you've got a group that doesn't give you much time before they get started on pulls, is 100% worth it. This is even more true when soloing. In terms of keeping it buffed up its really your call but consider that effective soloing requires you to do 50%+1 damage; by buffing it you are only reducing the total time it takes to kill the mob which may have a negligible effect on how fast you're able to engage the next mob as you only have so much mana.

Your pet is also a very effective mana battery. At some point in time you will be in a group where you are oom and the tank is quickly getting wasted by the mob. Use Reclaim Energy for an emergency boost in mana. This has saved my ass countless times. In addition to that, I often sell and bank before logging off. When I go to FV or wherever to do this I will summon a pet, sit while selling and banking (with maybe a 2 min afk) by which time my mana is 100%. Use this time to buff yourself (usually sta, talisman and regen), Reclaim Pet for +mana and camp. This is very effective as you can get started extremely quickly at the start of youyr next session.

As far as root goes, I almost always use my lowest root (30m, level 5) as I often duo with a melee. This gives the tank enough time to generate hate after I've pulled with a slow so that I effectively take no damage. In addition, you need to consideer how fast you will be engaging your next targets if you are CC. This same principal can be used for slow as well in that your best slow is not always your most effective slow.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Long time lurker, first time post.

You've gotten better at forumquest (1)

Thanks for the info! Glad you posted! I am down here in najena still trying to farm a broom or stein, because I don't know about getting those fire giant toes. But honestly, if I can just buy the toes I will pretty much have everything I need to get it, and I am getting a little impatient. So I may just try and BUY the fg toes and get my sweet reclaim item!

Zeonick
09-12-2013, 02:12 PM

I will try this, or see if someone can help me/sell them to me :)

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
09-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info! Glad you posted! I am down here in najena still trying to farm a broom or stein, because I don't know about getting those fire giant toes. But honestly, if I can just buy the toes I will pretty much have everything I need to get it, and I am getting a little impatient. So I may just try and BUY the fg toes and get my sweet reclaim item!

Go and check the vendors in OOT also - I was able to find all the requisite toes for my brothers mage.

Like I said before, if you can hold out for the other focus items you can sell the torch for north of 300p.

Best of luck to you!

You have become better at forumquesting (2)

Lojik
09-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Pretty sure i got fire giant toes in bank. Shoot me a tell if im on Qaos.

Zeonick
09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Pretty sure i got fire giant toes in bank. Shoot me a tell if im on Qaos.

That would be awesome if you did! I will try to message you in game to check :) it would be awesome if I could sell the torch for some cash but I think in the time it takes to farm a broom, etc, I could make some nice plat/exp anyways.

Zeonick
09-12-2013, 11:11 PM
I got the torch today! Someone happened to be selling fire giant toes so I scooped them up! I ran all the way to sol before I realized I had forgotten the fire emerald! And damn that thing was expensive. Took my last 180 plat.

Anyways, the torch is awesome! I didnt realize it gave ALL the mana back! Definitely sweet.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
09-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Yup

Reclaim energy is the single best spell any pet class could get. Even if you are able to get the spell (Necro, Enc etc...) It is still worth getting the focus items.

Does anyone know if Clerics or Wizards can use something like this for their temp pets?

Vellaen
09-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Anyways, the torch is awesome! I didnt realize it gave ALL the mana back! Definitely sweet.

The amount of mana returned is proportional to the health of the pet when you reclaim it.

Zeonick
09-15-2013, 10:34 AM
The amount of mana returned is proportional to the health of the pet when you reclaim it.

Oh ok, thats still great though considering our pets regen so fast out of combat :)

Oh