PDA

View Full Version : Necro Struggling 20-24

Zyn
09-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Hey Guys -

I've seriously enjoyed the hell out of my necro, but as soon as I hit 20, everything has felt like a drag and obnoxious grind.

Thankfully I've made it to 23, and I'm hoping my 24 pet makes a substantial difference.

That being said, I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Necro charming. Is it viable? Is it worth doing? I have shit for CHA and I can't tash like a chanter can, but being able to kill two mobs for the price of one certainly feels appealing.

Fear-kiting works, but right now my dots hit like crap and it usually costs me 40-50% of my mana bar to kill one blue mob.

Should I just try and grind my way to 24 and hope things get better?

I've been killing in LOIO, so there are some undead mobs there for me to charm.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Malone88
09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
You can leave Kunark and kill mobs with fewer hitpoints.
I spent most of my 20s in Unrest, then moved to Mistmoore
in my late twenties. Wasn't too hard to find groups.
Unrest has plenty of undead.

If I recall, your charm success does NOT check your CHA, unlike
chanters. So, don't worry about how low your CHA is. Perhaps
some other Necro here can confirm this.

At 35, I have yet to use CHARM. Root-Rot and Fear-kiting have
been my staples. I'm in South Karana/Paw now.

Best of luck to you. There's always some degree of "grinding"
that comes with soloing I have found...It never seems to go
fast enough.

Taiku
09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Losing 50% of your mana is normal for this lower level, at 40 i'm using about 60-70% of my mana if i don't get a lot of resists to kill hill giants in rathe, which have a lot of HP but on lower HP mobs i still use around 50%, it's not about efficiency in how much total mana you have, you regen like crazy with the lich line, just nuke the shit out of stuff and regen quickly after.

That's why I really enjoy static spawns such as the 6 minute bard diet and named mob camping, it may be somewhat boring but it gives enough time to regen to full between each pull and not a whole lot of running around looking for stuff.

I can't remember when I began to hunt guards in misty thicket but those are the same concept, I tried all kinds of ways to kill them, the best way I found was not to DoT at all, but to Darkness, Fear, and then spam nukes/taps. if you're at a 6 minute spawn then you'll always regen back to full, pet will never out damage you constantly nuking, the slower xp of a camp like that is worth it in my opinion for the safety and the plat you make during it. I'm pretty sure I stuck with the 6 minute bard diet up untill I could do misty guards

Taiku
09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
at 24 you will get Shock of Poison, I still use it at 40, it's amazing, makes you feel like a wizard with fear and crazy mana regen, and a pet, and a FD :D

And once you get high enough level to take on undead, specters in Oasis / Feerrott are amazing XP and decent loot, all I do on them is have a SoW or jboots (jboots should be your #1 priority on a necro, makes life so much easier) darkness, and then undead nuke untill it's dead, throw in a lifetap to counteract your lich

Zyn
09-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Yea I have to save up for Jboots MQ or try and camp the damn AC.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Still curious about how efficient undead charming is. Since I'm in LOIO, I could probably just try it out and report back my findings.

Taiku
09-06-2013, 06:15 PM
I've never done undead charming, apparently it's really efficient though, just kind of scary for me, I prefer to have a more laid back leveling experience with not having to worry about charm breaking in bad situations.

Malone88
09-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Still curious about how efficient undead charming is. Since I'm in LOIO, I could probably just try it out and report back my findings.
If LOIO has alot of light-blue undead you can charm, definitely give it a shot!
Don't try to charm anything that is close to your level. Have Screaming Terror
memmed to handle a charm break smoothly. If you are spending alot of time
looking for charm targets, then it's probably not the most efficient XP. I've seen
alot of Necros use charm with great results in CoM and Karnors. Plenty of
undead mobs in these zones to use as charm targets...

Estu
09-06-2013, 07:55 PM
The only charm that uses CHA is enchanter charm. Druids, shamans, and necros all charm equally well regardless of what their CHA is.

filthyphil
09-07-2013, 11:48 AM
In LOIO at that level you should be doing the area around the windmill. The method is Darkness>Fear>Stack Dots & put some distance in between yourself and the mob before sitting down. This should give you plenty of time to med, and the option to recast fear if needed or kite the mob down the rest of the way.

Rotate in your undead DD & fear when you pull undead.

Don't be afraid of the wandering casters, they should be your priority targets in fact as they have relatively low hits & give good EXP. Simply Darkness>Fear>Poison DD.

Around 28 you should be able to solo in front of the sarnak keep by single pulling using screaming terror & feign death.

Potus
09-07-2013, 07:21 PM
What fear are you using? Because on undead you should use this for the rest of your necro life:
http://wiki.project1999.com/Spook_the_Dead

It's 10 mana, fast cast. That plus darkness, use taps and undead DD and you should be able to sit and med and kill things non-stop.

Once you hit 24 go to the Ocean of Tears and kill all the sisters. Simply snare, send pet, nuke with Shock of Poison. Can easily outdamage pet with that nuke and get to 28 very very quickly while making a ton of platinum off the belts and swords.

crkhobbit
09-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Do you not upgrade to Panic the Dead? I was under the impression that it was longer duration and worth using.

Potus
09-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Do you not upgrade to Panic the Dead? I was under the impression that it was longer duration and worth using.

Usually I don't, I fear kite in Unrest and the spectre island in Oasis of Marr using Spook. 3 ticks means it walks far enough away but not too far as to make a train. If you're out in an open space and don't have to worry about adds then sure go for Panic. Both are better than regular fear in terms of mana.

wimplo559897
09-09-2013, 03:23 AM
im a necromancer lvl 48 I think lvl 20-24 I did unrest/mistmoore and then did warslik woods giants fort when I got bored of grouping then mistmoore till like 29 I forgot exactly but a lot of unrest/mistmoore and WW all I rememeber good luck man

Legasi
09-09-2013, 08:38 AM
I did OT (hanging out on the WW wall by the Iksar vendor). Super safe pulls/constant db/white pulls. Around 27 or so I went to Lake, and pulled around the sarnak fortress. Now at 30 I'm doing FM. I'm yet to do any charm killing. Just fear kiting with pet.