PDA

View Full Version : Shiny things!

Majuna
07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Another thread about nostalgia! Back in Live, what was something you wanted more than anything?

I remember when Luclin came out and I thought the horses were so pretty. I started a little late and was still terrible at leveling, but all I wanted was a pony. So instead of using my time wisely and finishing leveling, and just making moneys at end game, I spent my time leveling up a druid and whored out ports till I had my first horse. It was so great except for the fact that it was run-speed and I had to dismount and get a SoW to get anywhere in decent time. But I didn't care because that was all I wanted! :p

How about the rest of you, what was one thing you wanted SO bad, be it you were a noob or at end game?

Overcast
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Always wanted a manastone... :)

In spite of it's limited use. Other items I wanted, for the most part, I ended up getting. Except maybe a pre-nerf Fungi.

Wouldn't mind an Earthshaker too - just for kicks.

Reiker
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Time's Antithesis. And then on the Sleeper I got the first one progression-wide.

scecie
07-16-2010, 02:04 PM
A few things I can think of at different times in my carrer as a monk on live...

The first thing I wanted was a serpentine bracer because I thought Agility was the end all and be all back in the day, but more than that I wanted that shiny plate look on my monk...hard core.

Later, it was a Rakusha cloak because it was monk only. I loved pulling Hate and considered myself an artist at it. I pulled for Hate raids probably 20 times before that cloak finally dropped. Incidentally I traveling when I finally got it, my roomate was doing Hate with my guild and it dropped. He logged me on and got it...best return home present ever!

I also wanted a Tranquil staff forever...never got it. I did get that 2h staff from the Necro dragon whatsis face which was pretty nice in its day but no proc.

Oh yeah, my fungi tunic. I was friggin estatic when that thing dropped and I won the roll!

Yoite
07-16-2010, 02:15 PM
AoN, they are only like 40k now on live so last year i was finally able to get one.

guineapig
07-16-2010, 02:16 PM
For me it was never about specific items as much as it was about having as many high level toons as possible. I loved the though of having multiple characters camped out somewhere and I could just log on to a different one on the fly as the group or raid needed.

Then like now I simply don't have the time required for this... but I keep trying anyway.

Would love to have the enchanter epic eventually I guess. I quit the game before finishing it my first time around. ( I was doing it at a very leisurely pace and my guild was raiding in PoP all the time at this point.)

Dantes
07-16-2010, 02:17 PM
I wanted Electrum Bladed Wakis, even though they weren't ideal for my class as a Warrior. They don't proc or anything, but I just thought they looked really awesome so I wanted to dual wield them. Spent hours and hours camping the maid and butler for the fangs. Eventually I had a set of them. I never did get yaks, ended up just getting other weapons with Kunark came out.

I also spent what seemed like a couple solid says of camping in Nurga for one of those totems with AC on it. AC in the "trinket" slot doesn't happen very often, neither does that stupid goblin drop the totem.

jyaku
07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
knuckle duster on my monk, i was hunting in lake of ill omen and that special bracer dropped from the snarks just as someone was looking to buy it, got me the money to buy the duster

Spud
07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Guise of the Deceiver

Theldios
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
As a young shaman (lvl 34)on live when Kunark Came out I drooled over the JBB i traded my butt off to get me one and it changed the whole way the game was played for me. After that it was my epic again those 2 items changed the way the game played for me

Arclanz
07-16-2010, 02:31 PM
The first thing I can recall seeing that I really wanted was soulfire. I know of one paladin on the server who had it before me and when I saw it I just had to have one. That Paladin didn't help me get mine or answer any questions (just saying). I had to look it up on the spoiler sites. But I did get help with Lucan from 'the raiding community' at the time; folks I'd spent dozens of hours with in those painful early plane raids. And of course my guild helped me too. Yep that was it. Individuals and Guilds (notsomuch the elitist kinds) cooperated and helped each other out back then.

Reiker
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM
knuckle duster on my monk, i was hunting in lake of ill omen and that special bracer dropped from the snarks just as someone was looking to buy it, got me the money to buy the duster

Bracer of the Hidden! Awesome junk buffer.

Bubbles
07-16-2010, 02:56 PM
My pre-nerf Donal's Breastplate. Oh lordy I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

:D

nilbog
07-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Earring of Living Slime.

azeth
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
mrylokars dagger of vengeance!

more realistically i was aching for Massive Heartwood Thorn from Tunare, I did end up getting it, but boy I would have spent 1000x the DKP value to have it prior to looting.

Mournblade
07-16-2010, 03:28 PM
After my monk epic, there wasn't one particular thing I wanted above all others - but I would look at the items the raiding monks used and drooled on a regular basis. grey suede boots, wu's fists, sode of empowerment... all sorts of stuff.

Oh, and I love the clickies. Yeah. Clickies. MMMmmmmm.... clickclickclickclickclick
(I can make bread - with my PANTS!!!)

soup
07-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Always wanted a Cloak of Flames and the monk epic. Never got either.

Probably still wont see a COF this time around, but monk epic probably wont be all that unreasonable.

btw I don't/didn't care if better haste was available (was it? is it? I don't even know) but I want a damn COF for some reason.

scecie
07-16-2010, 03:50 PM
btw I don't/didn't care if better haste was available (was it? is it? I don't even know)

The great thing about the monk epic is that it was song haste. It stacked with SoS or any other regular haste spell and item haste. The only time you didn't need it was with a bard in the group who had a better song. Great stuff :)

Edit: I can count on one finger the times I had a bard grouped with me with a song that overrode Celestial Tranquility. When raiding, bards weren't usually part of my pull groups.

toddfx
07-16-2010, 04:17 PM
I was always really curious and envious of the moss covered twig. It was nerfed by the time I heard about it, and I would of never had the plat to get one anyway, but it was always one of my dream weapons as a monk.

Other items I specifically remember were much smaller useless stuff. I went and hunted down a "Frogskin Shield" as a halfling because of how cool it's model looked. And I loved walking around with "a shovel" equipped even though it did absolutely nothing!

OngorDrakan
07-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Always wanted Ykeshas...But I was a Cleric and I couldn't get them. Still want them badly.

Would like my now Druid to have a nice scimitar.

OngorDrakan
07-16-2010, 04:28 PM
And I loved walking around with "a shovel" equipped even though it did absolutely nothing!

Same here! I got one from a person in Lake Rathe and the Karanas. Was always funny showing it off to newbies. Whoa a shovel!

Arclanz
07-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Always wanted a Cloak of Flames and the monk epic. Never got either.

Probably still wont see a COF this time around, but monk epic probably wont be all that unreasonable.

btw I don't/didn't care if better haste was available (was it? is it? I don't even know) but I want a damn COF for some reason.

Oo i forgot to mention the Efreeti Standard. While doing an FG raid, someone lent me one for a while; holy cow that thing had insane rate of attack.

Regarding CoF, I guess I got lucky and won one on my first Naggy raid. Raided Vox several times but Naggy only once or twice that I recall.

Cribanox
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I always wanted a CoF and a Fungi, I got my fungi and my monk epic, but never had an FBSS or a CoF. Had to settle for that other haste waist item from kunark (name?)

When I saw those weapons from velious, those 2 hand blunt weapons that were big black sticks with metal spikes, I just HAD to have one. I eventually got one that was 30dmg 40dly, wasnt bad.

Reiker
07-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Had to settle for that other haste waist item from kunark (name?)

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=1630

Feather
07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
My first lust object was the Staff of the Wheel. A guildie helped me get that last rod. I just couldin't believe that I actually had it at level 35! Those were the days.

PhelanKA
07-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Some rich mark walkin around encumbered by thousands of plat wearing an SMR. That was always my wish.

Yrahcaz
07-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Pre-Nerf CoS

I never got one. I'm still bummed that I never got one.

Humwawa
07-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Malevolence.

And now that I've been reminded of its existence...

Aegis of Hatred.

Phallax
07-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Anything that gave me resist, I was a resist fiend. I had the highest average resist world wide for awhile on my shaman. Other than that the elusive TA as Reiker stated.

Phallax
07-16-2010, 08:26 PM
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=1630

Was either that or http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=1623

frefaln
07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Soulfire. In the first few months of playing, nothing looked cooler to me than a human paladin in a full suit of Armor of Ro (or anything w/ the same shiny graphic) and Soulfire.

fuji
07-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I wanted that fucking Ranger Sword that dropped off Vox soooo bad. But by the time I hit 50, it was taken away from the Vox drop list. It had a proc that summoned a wolf pet, a fucking WOLF PET for a ranger in the early days!!!

Now that I think about it, tons of cool stuff was taken away or cool tricks nerfed. Anyone remember making a druid, charming a bat, then using the bat to attack the PoD in Gfay? The wood elf guards went ape shit and fought it out with the PoD, what a fucking popcorn movie that was.