PDA

View Full Version : Blacksmithing beyond 115, worth it?

OfficeThug
07-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Hey everyone, I'm a bit new to the game considering I haven't played since, well, 10 years ago and barely even remember what it was like back then. This time around I decided to take up Smithing to make a small profit as a lowbie. Now I'm sitting on 115 smithing skill and the ability to make and sell banded armor for a good profit, at which point I figure it'd be nice to move on to bigger things. I check out the next recipes (ornate chain or fine plate bracers) and realize that the cost of failing to make these things to sell-back is horrifying. Additionally, I'm not even sure which recipes are available on Classic, the lists on the Trader's Corner take into account that all the expansions are available, so I might just be skilling up to make hyper expensive things no one will ever want as far as I know.

What are your thoughts?

astarothel
07-16-2010, 10:19 AM
After 115 there is only Fine Steel here.

OfficeThug
07-16-2010, 10:29 AM
So there's really no point then?

Overcast
07-16-2010, 11:04 AM
So there's really no point then?

Kunark and Velious will bring more options.
Depends on your viewpoint.

While I'm posting though - question...

EQ Tradeskill points - how the heck did that work? I can only get one of them over 50, is that correct?

guineapig
07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Kunark and Velious will bring more options.
Depends on your viewpoint.

While I'm posting though - question...

EQ Tradeskill points - how the heck did that work? I can only get one of them over 50, is that correct?

I think you can only raise 1 over 200 per character.
This changes around Luclin or PoP when they add tradeskill AA's.

Sorkin
07-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Is fine plate really 20p per sheet? Is there any market at all for fine steel armor?

mmiles8
07-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Even though the highest banded is trivial at 115, the farther above a trivial you are, the higher your success rate. If you plan to make banded to sell, this is nothing to scoff at, given the way large and small banded molds tend to be fairly spread out from the forges in the areas where they would find a use.

Less failures = less money wasted on buying extra materials / running back for the mold / sheet metal that you need to try and make again. (Sheet metal vendors back for around 1/5 of the cost it took to buy it, so buying extra is just as annoying when making for profit)

Bubbles
07-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Is fine plate really 20p per sheet? Is there any market at all for fine steel armor?

There was early on, you know, when none of the melee had money anyways..

Ummm.. SolRo quests, which on live aimed to kill Rubicite (and failed), actually did kill the need for fine steel on this server.

astarothel
07-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I think you can only raise 1 over 200 per character.
This changes around Luclin or PoP when they add tradeskill AA's.

Tradeskill spec wasn't even added until midway through Kunark. Until then the cap was 200 (or the highest available trivial if less) for all tradeskills.

olderj
07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
It always bugged me that there weren't any halfway decent weapons that could be made with smithing... well not in the scope of classic - kunark - velious. I feel like they should have made at least one series of decent weapons for mid-level characters. I feel like using the mana vials (made by chanters) in recipies would have been a great way to justify crafted magic weapons. *shrug*

~Huffle

mmiles8
07-16-2010, 03:42 PM
There were, firebrand were classic, although not everyone is in agreement about that despite the evidence.

guineapig
07-16-2010, 04:01 PM
There were, firebrand were classic, although not everyone is in agreement about that despite the evidence.

I have looked all over the archived eqtraders.com pages and can find nothing about forged firebrand weapons or even fiery temper before 2002.

I'll admit the damage/delay ratios on these weapons are so bad that they would seem to be classic but this is because they were very opposed to making quality weapons easily mass produced for many years in EQ. Also things like: fire DMG 2 were not in classic.

(Note: Allakhazam lists many things as "original". That just means they were added to the default game and not part of a specific expansion. You have to view archived databases from the appropriate era to get better information.)

redghosthunter
05-12-2011, 01:24 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=5707

Post from 2001 on Earthen Temper

Recipe
Posted: 2001-09-18 16:08:32 | Quote | Reply to Post | Follow
Lejax
12 posts
Score: Decent
Combine in a brew barrel:

2 Drop of Mercury (off earth elementals)
1 Lava Rock (off fire elementals)
1 Dwarven Ale (bought from vendors)

You need a fairly decent Brewing skill to be successful. Rumor has it that it trivials at 135.
----------------------------
Lejax Tearswimmer
Bard of Tunare
The Claw of Nagafen, Bristlebane