PDA

View Full Version : Quest Issue: Gnoll fangs (Captain Tillan Qeynos)

ciqills
09-03-2013, 10:59 PM
The gnoll fang quest seems waaaay overtuned. I've taken advantage of the ridiculous XP myself, but I'm getting sick of level 10+'s camping the BlackBurrow entrance for fangs. I turned in roughly twenty fangs at level 9 and gained two levels. The XP is still ridiculously good into the early twenties, which causes a lot of folks to kill level 4 mobs forever, and make the newbie experience in Qeynos a major PITA.

The only evidence I have for this post is a post from Jul. 30th 2001 (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=2878) on Allakahazam stating:
"good exp i went from lvl 6 to lvl 7 with 1 stack (includes doing the moonstone part)"

I can search some more, but something really seems amiss when there's 15+ folks camping scrawny gnolls.

pharmakos
09-03-2013, 11:10 PM
people camped gnoll fangs past level 15 back in the day. i always thought it was silly, but it did happen.

ciqills
09-03-2013, 11:19 PM
I've searched for a long while and found zero mentions of good XP beyond that single Alla post. Really doubt that someone could sit outside BB a few hours grinding greens and gain levels on turn-ins on classic.. I was Qeynos-centric when I started playing in 1999 and I have no memory of gnoll fangs being the end-all of leveling.

pharmakos
09-03-2013, 11:24 PM
i was always qeynos-centric too. i barely know my way around crushbone, lol. i always high tailed it towards Highpass by level 15, but i do recall people sticking around in Blackburrow until like 19. ridiculous as it is.

Zuranthium
09-03-2013, 11:35 PM
I don't recall the fang quest ever being this good. It's very ridiculous.

YendorLootmonkey
09-03-2013, 11:57 PM
I leveled 1-60 on gnoll fangs since no one wants rangers in groups :(

Buellen
09-04-2013, 05:48 PM
heya

my memory but fang xp has always been good both on here eqmac and live.

I have personally never stayed past 15 unless their was a group doing elites or commander camp. plenty of times you can find a level 15 to 19 pet class or lower level twin running around doing circuit killing all the green from entrance to command clover camp and back. they do this no matter their is legitimate level players are in those areas xping.

it is the nature of the fang quest and from y personal memory of live , eqmac and her is accurate.

Garue 49th Level Hal Elf Warrior Follower of Karana

ps would be a pain I would think to code for gnolls not to drop fang if mob is green to killer.

cyryllis
09-04-2013, 10:18 PM
a friend of mine on live stayed in BB till around 19 or 20 on the elite ledge - killing those same couple of mobs over and over lol.

gnoll fang quest was always amazing exp as far as I remember.

I stop doing fangs here around lvl 14 or 15 because the exp really starts to drop off hard - so I call BS to your claim that the exp from fangs is good into the 20s

Is it right for a lvl 15 to kill your lvl 5 entrance mobs for fangs when you are there trying to exp? I'd say its a dick move, but there isnt anything about that situation that isnt classic. I was a guide on Erollisi marr for a long time and you would not believe how many similar complaints were filed all the time. I remember one guy flipping his shit because a higher level was killing all the bats near him for wings in gfay.

Every time I step into BB its empty or practically empty =/ which is sad and a whole other topic

Buellen
09-05-2013, 07:19 PM
hay cyryllis

first it is possible to go from 15 to 19 on fangs even if the mobs are not giving xp. i have personaly watch more than a few toons do this when i was leveling my war , cleric and some other alts. most of these are pet classes like mage and necro or twinks.

from entrance of bb to clover room and then through pit snake back to entrance is roughly 50 plus gnolls its a 20min timer in bb. as i leveled my from 1o to 15 i would watch these guys ding from turning fangs since i was turning i my fangs from kiling what i could find up before said twink or pet caster would get to them.

Those it take a lot more fangs then me at 10 to 14 yep but they are kiling way way more gnolls then i could in same time frame.

AGAIN it the nature of the great xp for fang turn in folks will chase the cheap xp if they can.

Garue 49th Half Elf Warrior Follower of Karana.

diplo
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
i did the fangs until lvl 20...both on live and here. exp is still decent, but after 20 it kind of tapers off.

TWDL_Prexus
09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Also stopped with the fangs at 14. Killing steady dbs was much faster exp then killing for no exp then running to hand in fangs.

Velerin
09-27-2013, 03:25 PM
20 gnoll fangs = 6% of hell level 35... hah it doesn't taper off after 20.

Langrisserx
09-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Gnoll fangs are still bomb exp at 40... yes, turn in is overtuned.

S T F U ABOUT IT

Furniture
09-27-2013, 04:40 PM
I turned in roughly twenty fangs at level 9 and gained two levels.

there is definitely something wrong there

Cookiefist
09-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Working as intended.

nilbog
09-28-2013, 01:42 PM
On my development server, as a level 9, I turned in 20 gnoll fangs. Received 1.5 levels of experience.

I would like to know what this looks like on eqlive, and eqmac, if someone has the inclination. We can determine the differences, if any, and go from there.

Furniture
09-28-2013, 10:49 PM
It might it might have been changed at some point:

"On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 15:10:36 -0500, "Xenomorph"
<xenomorph@NOSPAMdarkcastle.com> wrote:
>These are on mobs that a level 4 could wipe the floor with. Why are they NO
>DROP?
At level 7 I used 4 gnoll teeth to gain almost 3/4 bubble of exp.
That's why they are NO DROP. Way to easy to twink a character if they
weren't."

"On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:30:05 GMT, Clydefrog
<voramyr_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Just to voice my opinion here, I think it's lame. I've started a new
>character and am having a lot of fun as the memories of my adventures
>as a total newbie come back to me. But I noticed, while turning in
>gnoll fangs in Qeynos, that they give one tick of EXP, instead of
>leaps and bounds of it.
>
>Why on earth would SOE do this?
I think it was a mistake. Low level characters were hanging around
newbie areas too much for them, or perhaps killing those easy to kill
rats. So they nerfed XP for the newbie zones. It turned out that
nerfing xp modifiers nerfs all of them, so quests are included.

dstephenatcoxdotnet
( using the @ and . for email )"
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/gnoll$20fangs/alt.games.everquest/ZdxT1YqpJ6Y/OYxDnwt95cYJ

He states he came back in 2003 and all exps in newbie zones, including quests, were nerfed and was surprised at his exp turn in. It doesnt help that there is no indication of when this happened. I will keep looking around for more info

Furniture
09-28-2013, 10:56 PM
"Wasn't it extremely good experience? Maybe they thought it too good for the
risk. In the old days that was balanced by the faction hits, but these days
that is not an issue since the old towns are dead."

Based on everything i read it seems this quest probably is giving the correct exp, also it says that after handing in a stack, you should be KoS to the guards upon leaving. Is this currently how it is?

Furniture
09-28-2013, 11:02 PM
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/alt.games.everquest/gnoll$20fangs$20lvl$2020/alt.games.everquest/Sp_IY0WpRm4/OSe5oPUz6QkJ

This is as per the Halas gnoll fangs quest which is supposed to be slightly more exp then qeynos (in 2001):

"Problem with this one is that the fangs are No Drop, but if you hand them in
3 at a time in Halas to Lysbith McNaff you get slightly better exp and no
negative faction (21 fangs at level 20 gave me a blue bubble)"

pharmakos
09-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Based on everything i read it seems this quest probably is giving the correct exp, also it says that after handing in a stack, you should be KoS to the guards upon leaving. Is this currently how it is?

my newbie paladin on Red turned KOS to the corrupt guards pretty quickly. it took more than one stack, but not a lot more.

Samoht Farstrider
09-30-2013, 05:16 PM
It didn't take my WE ranger long to get to apprehensive to the corrupt guards. I started giving Honey Mead to the dwarf and a lot of 2gp reps to the guy (Den Magason) down by the docks to get back to dubious before I did each turn in.

Vexenu
11-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Was the drop rate on fangs nerfed lately? I've leveled multiple characters on gnoll fangs and the drop rate seemed something like 25% on fangs. I've got a new character on Red killing gnolls and the drop rate is abysmally lower, maybe 5% at best.

I've killed over a hundred gnolls at this point, so it would literally have to be one of the most insanely unlucky RNG streaks in the history of the game to be pure chance unless the drop rate was lowered.

nilbog
11-27-2013, 11:30 AM
No change with these.