PDA

View Full Version : Donations for Velious

Isic
08-27-2013, 02:53 PM
It Is pretty obvious that the dev's are hard at work on Velious. Playing EQ ,let alone developing for EQ can get very old if you do it for extended periods of time. It's like drinking beer for a month straight, everyday, would get old.

What if a large group of players donated a decent amount to encourage faster development of Velious. The dev's actually get paid real $$$ instead of our posts of gratitude. I would be willing to donate $20 to encourage the dev's to spend a few extra hours a week working on the Velious release. I am sure 100 if not 200+ other players would be willing to do the same. It would be similar to a kick starter project.

I appreciate the time and detail the dev's put into p1999 and would like to see Velious sooner then later. I think it is unfair of the community to ask them to rush something they are not compensated for on in the first place. Heavy donations to encourage a faster release would be a win / win situation. The donations would be totally for the dev's time and not expected to go to p1999 in any way. They would simply be paid in real donated $$$ for their hard work.

Thoughts?

-Isic

spoils
08-27-2013, 02:58 PM
anytime you ask people to "donate" in return for the devs to do something specifically for that donation...well bud...it's called paying for a service...which could get the server shut down...

so....NO

spoils
08-27-2013, 02:59 PM
rather..donate cause u love the project whether it gets to velious or not

Chronoburn
08-27-2013, 03:05 PM
It's like drinking beer for a month straight, everyday, would get old.

Nonsense.

Thulack
08-27-2013, 03:08 PM
It Is pretty obvious that the dev's are hard at work on Velious. Playing EQ ,let alone developing for EQ can get very old if you do it for extended periods of time. It's like drinking beer for a month straight, everyday, would get old.

What if a large group of players donated a decent amount to encourage faster development of Velious. The dev's actually get paid real $$$ instead of our posts of gratitude. I would be willing to donate $20 to encourage the dev's to spend a few extra hours a week working on the Velious release. I am sure 100 if not 200+ other players would be willing to do the same. It would be similar to a kick starter project.

I appreciate the time and detail the dev's put into p1999 and would like to see Velious sooner then later. I think it is unfair of the community to ask them to rush something they are not compensated for on in the first place. Heavy donations to encourage a faster release would be a win / win situation. The donations would be totally for the dev's time and not expected to go to p1999 in any way. They would simply be paid in real donated $$$ for their hard work.

Thoughts?

-Isic

Can't pay dev's for their time or else server could get shutdown. So donate towards the project if you want but the money isnt going to Dev's.

Tecmos Deception
08-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Sounds like you're drinking shitty beer.

Aaron
08-27-2013, 03:09 PM
OP has no clue what "donation" means.

Itap
08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Idk man, I've been drinking beer for 7 years straight, hasn't gotten old yet.

Isic
08-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Drinking 16 beers a day, everyday would get old. I am talking about donating directly to the dev's. I think this would be permissible. Rogean might need to chime in to verify.

Danth
08-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Heh, my old man drank a case a day on average, every day, since way before I was born. Probably drank at that rate for 50 if not nearer 60 years. It never gets old for some folks I suppose. Likely it's the same with folks who love coding. I love neither beer nor coding so I figure both are acquired tastes.

Odds are the current time being spent on Velious development is close to the practical maximum for the folks doing it, so additional money might not enable them to actually finish it any faster.

Danth

Chronoburn
08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
"Project 1999 is a free server brought to you by volunteers who spend their free time improving it. Although the server is provided for free to players, it is not without costs. The infrastructure to run a full Everquest server is significant, requiring high end hardware running in world class data centers utilizing direct internet backbones for bandwidth. Additionally, the servers and it's facility must be able to withstand many of today's malicious cyber attacks that aim to deny service.

If you enjoy playing on this server then we ask that you make a contribution to keep it alive and running. All donations go towards the costs associated with running and maintaining the server, including hardware and hosting fees.

Please be aware that, while the staff of Project 1999 appreciate all players who help keep this server running, we do not receive any money from the donation pool. As such, we are still volunteers working hard to provide this server with no monetary benefit to ourselves, and will not feel any more obligated to owe a player who has donated anything over a player who hasn't.

At this time, there are no rewards or incentives for donating other than keeping the server alive and running. We do not want to give the illusion of charging for in game items or services, as this would then become a legal issue.

Thanks."

Swish
08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Tired of making gifs about it, just wait... and enjoy it more when it arrives.

skipdog
08-27-2013, 04:31 PM
If you like this server, donate.

Actually, if you play on this server, DONATE!!!

I think everybody else hit all the other major points.

JayN
08-27-2013, 04:34 PM
its more profitable for some for velious not to come out, thats all im saying

Swish
08-27-2013, 04:37 PM
its more profitable for some for velious not to come out, thats all im saying

Making these threads should set back launch another few weeks.

Raavak
08-27-2013, 04:54 PM
CoD.

Estolcles
08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I don't care how long it takes for Veilous to come out.

As long as I eventually get a Breezeboot's Frigid Gnasher (Model 9000), I'll be happy.

Swish
08-27-2013, 05:08 PM
With all the thread hype, I think most people will be bored of Velious within a week... all secrets told, all camps ready to be invaded. No element of re-remembering to be done while actually playing, you all played Velious via ForumQuest and wrecked it for yourselves already...and now you want it released ASAP.

Bring out cats on the moon in its place, its the only way to do the unexpected ;)

billw134
08-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Woohoo rygorr camp going down Charlie Brown!!!

Wudan
08-30-2013, 03:34 AM
It Is pretty obvious that the dev's are hard at work on Velious

I loled :D

Tecmos Deception
08-30-2013, 08:49 AM
With all the thread hype, I think most people will be bored of Velious within a week... all secrets told, all camps ready to be invaded. No element of re-remembering to be done while actually playing, you all played Velious via ForumQuest and wrecked it for yourselves already...and now you want it released ASAP.

Bring out cats on the moon in its place, its the only way to do the unexpected ;)

Most people (including me) don't know all (or even most) of the secrets of classic or kunark yet. They DEFINITELY don't already know velious's secrets, especially this server's specific take on them.

I love ya, swish, but your feelings on this topic are dumb :)

Medowin
08-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I'd rather donate money to TMO for some epics.