PDA

View Full Version : Staff of Gabstik

Estu
08-12-2013, 09:14 PM
So I was lucky enough to loot some mistletoe powder recently, and was wondering what the easiest way to get a staff of gabstik from it is. I haven't done any work at all on my wizard epic quest, though I completed my shaman epic (on my shaman), grinding faction via a mixture of CoM pages and tiny gem turn-ins. As far as I can tell, here's what I should do for the staff of gabstik (I'm not concerned with the epic itself at the moment):

1) Grind up true spirit faction to some unknown amount using tiny gem turn-ins or CoM pages. Anyone know how much faction is needed?

2) Find Kandin Firepot and hand him the powder.

Does this sound right? Anything I'm missing? I just want to be very careful not to screw up the turn-in.

Lojik
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
I just did the beginning of the quest walk through for wiz epic. Talk to solomen, then talk to camin give him note and 1000pp. Then buy potion from dargon and give it to him, give potion back to dargon, then take ring to whoever. Then just give powder to gnome.

Estu
08-13-2013, 10:58 AM
I just did the beginning of the quest walk through for wiz epic. Talk to solomen, then talk to camin give him note and 1000pp. Then buy potion from dargon and give it to him, give potion back to dargon, then take ring to whoever. Then just give powder to gnome.

So you didn't have to give him Cazic's skin first?

Lojik
08-13-2013, 09:38 PM
No. Otherwise you wouldn't see so many wizards with that staff heh

Lojik
08-13-2013, 09:41 PM
This is also the reason you can piggyback off another wizards cazic skin if you have all 3 staves. Although finding that wizard (and last stave) is not easy heh.

Baron
08-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Why would you piggyback off another wizards Cazic skin if you don't need it?

Ménage à trois
08-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Because you get the note from Kandin in Butcherblock from turning in Cazic's Skin. You have to turn this note in to Dargon to spawn the version of Arantir who will accept all 3 staves (Gabstik, Blue Crystal, Gnarled).

The Mistletoe powder simply gives you the staff of Gabstik.

And I've seen the "Cazic Skin MQ" selling for 500K, just to piggyback off of a wizard who is already spawning his epic mob. :eek:

Baron
08-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Dear god... that sucks... looks like I'll never get my epic...

Thanks for the clarification.

Snackies
09-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Hey Estu,

You need AIMABLE or higher with Kandin or else he'll eat your powder (found out the hard way lols).

If you have enough or insufficient faction he'll still respond to hails, so just check your consider and you should be good.

You don't need to perform any pre-quest or pre-amble dialogue with him. Just have the correct faction, hand in poweder and voila!

Best way to work up faction is to do the Peg Leg quest over and over (hand gem to FP guy then rinse/repeat). As a human (inny worshiping) wiz I started out apprehensive and probably did it like 10ish times (hard to say since it was quite some time ago).

Lojik
09-02-2013, 04:08 AM
Hey Estu,

You need AIMABLE or higher with Kandin or else he'll eat your powder (found out the hard way lols).

If you have enough or insufficient faction he'll still respond to hails, so just check your consider and you should be good.

You don't need to perform any pre-quest or pre-amble dialogue with him. Just have the correct faction, hand in poweder and voila!

Best way to work up faction is to do the Peg Leg quest over and over (hand gem to FP guy then rinse/repeat). As a human (inny worshiping) wiz I started out apprehensive and probably did it like 10ish times (hard to say since it was quite some time ago).

I have indifferent TrueSpirit faction and received my staff of gabstik with powder turn in.

Estu
09-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Hey Estu,

Incorrect. I did the quest as suggested in this thread (i.e. just do the beginning of the quest as in the wiki, do not farm faction) and I got a successful turn-in with indifferent faction:

[Sat Aug 17 16:51:47 2013] Targeted (NPC): Kandin Firepot
[Sat Aug 17 16:51:47 2013] Right click on the NPC to consider him.
*Here, I hand in the note*
[Sat Aug 17 16:51:53 2013] Kandin Firepot says, 'Brother! I have one of those. He's great, but he's dead. His name was Gabstik and he was a really powerful wizard. I still have one of his greatest possessions! Hey, I know! You can help me with my greatest firework! I need you to get me a skin to put the powder from my firework in. That's the only thing I can think of to use though I cannot get myself. I need a skin that is dry and brittle, yet can still be shaped. So go fetch me some and I'll scratch your back.'
[Sat Aug 17 16:52:11 2013] Targeted (NPC): Kandin Firepot
[Sat Aug 17 16:52:11 2013] Right click on the NPC to consider him.
*Here, I hand in the powder and receive the staff*
[Sat Aug 17 16:52:13 2013] Kandin Firepot says, 'Great, this is it! Here, take this, it was my brother's. Now I must be off to work! Oh, wait, wait! I need my bag back! '
[Sat Aug 17 16:52:13 2013] Your faction standing with TrueSpirit got better.
[Sat Aug 17 16:52:18 2013] Kandin Firepot regards you indifferently -- he appears to be quite formidable.

So he was indiff even after the turn-in. Maybe you didn't do the first steps? Maybe you decreased your True Spirit faction somehow before doing it? Maybe you did it before some kind of faction reworking? Not sure.

Snackies
09-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Sorry for the late reply - I have a bad habit of posting in threads and just never following up with comments haha.

You are correct in your presumption that I never did the first half of the quest (buying the oil, etc, etc) and skipped straight to just having the powder. I'm betting that initial quest is supposed to put you in the sweet spot for faction (high indifference?) so that Kandin will reply to you. As a chronically low on plat individual I did the route of questing peg-leg over again :)

I am also a human/inny worshiper so that might have had something to do with my initial TS faction setting. From my recollection this was initially at apprehensive.