PDA

View Full Version : Duo ideas

eqravenprince
11-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Trying to think of a good duo capable of doing most content. I tend to think in terms of what works best in indoor dungeons since they are the most challenging. Take Najena, SolA/B, Upper Guk, Splitpaw or Permafrost for example, what duo would work well in there?

Morfnblorsh
11-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I think this duo should be able to handle just about anything:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7439/abdm.jpg

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/148996/953155

Wenai
11-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I just find duos in classic are somewhat limited.

You need:

-Tank
-Heals
-Crowd Control
-DPS (both mana-based and mana-free)
-Ability to single pull

In classic IMO there is no perfect combo. Any efficient duo is probably going to require a pet class in classic. Honestly in classic a ENC+SHM/CLR/DRU is probably going to be the most efficient team that you can find. You will be able to hit all the good named creatures in Guk etc. ENC is a very efficient killer in their own right and adding heals/pet (SHM) or heals/nukes (DRU) to your repertoire is a solid addition.

MAG+CLR is another popular one, but the main problem with that is you really lack slows/true crowd control. A lot of responsibility is pinned on the cleric in this combo as the cleric is not only healing, but also lulling, pulling, rooting, stunning etc. Some clerics thrive on the extra responsibility, others do not.

SHM+MNK is a great option in Kunark. Until Shamans get Torpor their healing ability is pretty well useless. I really think this is one of the biggest mistakes in classic; SHM/DRU being limited to GHeal at level 50 is just dumb. You can pretty much forget about being an efficient healer in classic. Your healing should really only be used in emergency situations.

SHM+NEC is also a very solid duo group. Pulling in dungeons as a necromancer while managing a pet can be difficult, but not impossible. You can easily split 2-spawns using screaming terror+feign death but when it becomes groups of three, with limited space pulling can become a little bit annoying.

Really you can make a lot of things work. Just make sure you have most(all) of your bases covered if you want to do content with two people.

guineapig
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Enchanter/Cleric or Enchanter/ Shaman in my humble opinion.

With cleric you just treat the animation as the tank and buff the hell out of it. Make sure agro stays on it and cleric keeps it alive. This combo is somewhat slow but fairly safe. Both classes have good lull spells too so you should rarely have to deal with more than one mob at a time.

With Shaman you have the advantage of a second pet and some mana efficient dots to help DPS. Also the haste and buffs are better for the pet. (SoW for travel!!!)

I have not done a duo with a druid before but I'm guessing that would be pretty sweet too with damage shields, dots, and SoW. Best part of this combo is the inclusion of PORTS!!!

Actually enchanter/druid might be the sweetest combo of them all. It adds snare and porting with only the loss of the additional pet.

messiah_b
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I can confirm Druids are pretty fantastic for a duo because of their versatility and they do a lot of it well.

Dots-DS / Buffs / Port / DD / Healing / Solo pulling / snare-root.

Edit: Their big issue is going under ground.

tokso
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
You can't really go wrong with shaman+melee or pet class caster + any other caster. I like to be a little different and did paladin+mage before on a different server, it worked very well.

bopice
11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Sk and sham pretty fun :)

Yoite
11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
druid + enc

Sloth
11-25-2009, 03:32 PM
rogue / necro

guineapig
11-25-2009, 03:57 PM
After further thought on the matter I am sticking with Druid / Enchanter even though I have not really dabbled in it. I think it has by far the most utility in a two person combo available.

The only ability we don't get is rez and really the animation is the only thing that should ever be dying in this duo. This combo can do EVERYTHING ELSE!

eqravenprince
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
A few questions..

Do dots stack ie 2 necros cast Heat Blood?

What is the difference between Necro Pet and Magician Pet(s)? Which one does the most dps? Which one tanks the best?

How reliable is charm for adding dps or is it too risky?

Do Clerics get a spell that summons an item that would allow another class to rez them if they die? Saw this in EQ2, I just don't remember seeing it in EQ.

Does giving armor to pets add to their AC and other stats?

How well does the Enchanter pet tank? I have no idea how it would compare to a Necro pet.

Morfnblorsh
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Beastlord/Berserker imo

Too bad you can't both be named "Karsten" as well, that would be killer.

guineapig
11-25-2009, 04:52 PM
A few questions

How well does the Enchanter pet tank? I have no idea how it would compare to a Necro pet.

Not sure about this server or Classic 1999 era but back when I played enchanter pets were never on par and never meant to be on par with necro pets or any others for that matter. Enchanter pets were never meant to be as strong.

Charms became more viable in later expansions, especially once enchanters get AA's that help with duration and defense bonuses that help keep the chanter alive. That being said, I've seen chanters on this server successfully soloing guards in a few cities by charming 1 guard as a pet. The key I think is knowing when to "reverse charm" and swap out an old pet for a new one.
Personally I find that playing with others is much more enjoyable then charm soloing and the exp/loot comes faster due to the sheer speed of kills and lack of downtime. But, to each his/her own.

Don't know for certain about pieces of scrap armor (very difficult to quantify a few AC here and there) however AC buffs do help a great deal, same goes for STR, and haste buffs. Since weapons seem to effect pets (ie: stun whips) I would imagine that giving a pet a breastplate must do something.

I know in PoP mages had all sorts of pet gear they could summon and equip on their little floaty guys.

...... I forget what else I was going to write...:p