PDA

View Full Version : Classic Questions (Magician)

olpolok
08-05-2013, 12:17 PM
So I came back to EQ after 10 years of not playing and I decided to make a Mage because after doing some researcher, they seemed like a pretty well-rounded and fun class to play.

I have several questions now and I foresee having lots more in the near future, so I might as well try to get some answers from the community and help others who also seek to answers some of these classic questions.

- ¿What is the best Pet?

Apparently this subject varies widely from person to person and it also depends on what you are attempting to do with the pet. I haven't got one straight answer on this, one way or the other. Any new input will be appreciated.

So far I have been using the Earth Pet for soloing since it apparently has the highest HP, the lowest DPs and the rooting spell, which all combined make it good for tanking and easy to out-damage.

Now when I am in a group and I don't have to worry of out-damaging my pet, I have tried both using the Fire Pet and the Water Pet. So far I haven't seen a very distinctive difference between the two, the Fire Pet appears to do slightly more DMG and the Water Pet is bit more resilient (more hp).

While walking around through I've seen other Magicians using mostly the Fire Pet, however keep in mind that according to P99 wiki this pet's fire shield has been nerfed or removed at higher lvls since it was considered to be "too powerful".

- ¿How expensive are material components at higher lvls?

So far I've been only working with Malachite as a material component for pet summoning, which is fairly cheap and easy to obtain. However, I was wondering if at higher lvls you are required to use more expensive and difficult to find materials.

- Pet focuses: ¿What is a pet focus? ¿What do they do? ¿How can you get them? ¿Which should you get? ¿At what lvl should you get them?

I've looked a bit into this, some of the details about pet focuses remain quite vague. For what I have been able to gather, a pet focus "gives you the best stats for a pet of that lvl" I am not entirely sure of what that means. I have theorize that if you were to use a Fire Pet with a Fire Pet Focus it would keep doing the same amount of DMG and would also have as much resilience (HP) as a Earth Pet of the same lvl. Other theory is simply that, the lvl of the pet regardless of it's element is that it will be the highest lvl possible every single time you summon it.

I was also informed that you get the first Pet Focuses by completing various quest, one for each element at the Temple of Solusek Ro that is located in Lavastorm a lvl 10 - 30 area (ask a friendly druid for a TP there). Once there you get the quest, you need to gather various exotic materials from around the world in order to produce the Pet Focus.

A fellow Magician told that there is a lvl restriction for this quest and that getting the Pet Focus is extremely helpful, he also recommended to get the Fire and Earth focuses first. However, according to the net you need to be at least lvl 30 to gather the materials by yourself, the other alternative is to buy the materials from other players or go on a vendor scavenger hunt.

Playing for the materials doesn't seem viable for new players who don't have an alternative character to provide them with the necessary money to buy the, the scavenger hunt might be a lot cheaper but the expense of equally valuable expenditure of time.

For far in my case specifically, I've gathered that the best option is either to wait to be in my mid 20s or early 30s to gather the materials myself, or join a guild a hopefully get support from them to get the materials.

---------------------------------------------------------

I have to stop now, but I'll keep trying to come up with more classic questions. Please feel free to provide your own answers for the questions I have posted, or even make questions of your own.

Gel Mibson
08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
tldr...check the wiki.

Tecmos Deception
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
however keep in mind that according to P99 wiki this pet's fire shield has been nerfed or removed at higher lvls since it was considered to be "too powerful".

Pretty sure that is just referring to the 51+, wizard-type fire pets that you wouldn't want getting beat on anyways (if you ever even summoned it at all).

kaos057
08-09-2013, 12:49 PM
So far I've been only working with Malachite as a material component for pet summoning, which is fairly cheap and easy to obtain. However, I was wondering if at higher lvls you are required to use more expensive and difficult to find materials.

It is always malachite for pets. The only other reagent you will need is pearls for call of the hero but you wont need to worry about that until 55+. Also you will need cats eye or jasper for shields but they arent too expensive.

Quylein
08-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Well if we're going Classic there was a range for spells from like 16 to 24 that used Cats eye Agate instead of Malachite. As far as the focus's just use the wiki for shovel of earth, torch of fire, broom of air it should bring them up. I've never seen the DS to be to powerful even after 51 but that was in classic... then again pets were never as strong as they are in P99

Dragonmist
08-09-2013, 07:45 PM
No the level 12 and 16 mage pets use Lapis Lazuli ,The ones before it and the rest all use a Malachite.

Goodluck...