PDA

View Full Version : IF servers were reset

Dolvar
07-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Would you play over?
What would you make? if so, is it different from your current class / race?

IF the reason for a reset was due to Hardware corruption / destruction, would it change your thoughts on starting from scratch?

Nirgun
07-27-2013, 07:36 PM
yes

Cecily
07-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Wood elf rogue to dark elf rogue.

Halfelfbard
07-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Redo everything all over again. I'd prob quit, and play something else...way to much effort put into the game already.

And i wouldn't see a point to do it again either, out of just fear of another reset.

senna
07-27-2013, 07:44 PM
I'd rolll...a.....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lru8al3Ltj1qf38fzo1_500.gif

Tecmos Deception
07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
If I had to start from scratch because my efforts of the last couple years were erased by a reset, starting over would feel too much like a grind to get back to where I was rather than an adventure where I strive to accomplish things/acquire pixels along the way.

I've always loved starting EQ from scratch, but I've always made the choice to do so myself, not because all my shit is suddenly gone and the only way to continue playing is from the beginning.

Not to mention the fact that no one has any proof whatsoever that a reset would be more detrimental to cheaters than it would be to legit players. It's not like a reset will magically stop people from trying to cheat, that a reset will be hackproof, that everyone playing p99 will be uninterested in buying PP, that legacy items will be more available to average joes on a reset server than the current one, etc. If anything, it seems to me like MORE players would want to buy things or cheat in order to try to get themselves back to the situation they were in before a reset without having to invest soooo much time /played again and that legacy camps will be locked down even harder on another go-around than they were before, etc.

kaev
07-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Would be very ambivalent about a reset. The thought of a reset seems so uncaring towards the players who don't much want to do that, plus it would introduce the nagging doubt as to whether there would be another reset (and another & etc.)

A fresh start sounds like a great idea. An attempt to match the live timeline as well as possible based on what's been learned here, other than really stupid stuff that was patched on live as soon as it was found out, would be fun. But that should be done (if it is done) as a new server. Let the players abandon the old for the new on their own, if that's what they want to do. It doesn't seem right to just toss out all that's gone before, even if some of what's gone before is more than a little ugly.

Disambiguated the nonsense of my opening sentence by correcting the error pointed out by the following poster. Abused "disambiguated" in this note here because I felt the need for an excuse, even a very bad one, to use the word "disambiguated" three times in one post.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-27-2013, 08:12 PM
you meant ambivalent, not ambiguous.

Agatha
07-27-2013, 08:17 PM
I would make a dwarf pally, go anon, and tell everyone i was a warrior, and i would soak everyones EXP all stealthlike.

kaev
07-27-2013, 08:31 PM
you meant ambivalent, not ambiguous.

Thank you for that most wonderfully accurate correction, I shall be forever in your debt. I am happy to report that my embarrassment over typing the wrong word, as if I were some ignorant gamer nerd poasting to a forum, was quickly overcome with the aid of a few swallows of beer and a quick edit of the defective post.

Dolvar
07-27-2013, 08:46 PM
IF the reason for a reset was due to Hardware corruption / destruction, would it change your thoughts on starting from scratch?

webrunner5
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Redo everything all over again. I'd prob quit, and play something else...way to much effort put into the game already.

And i wouldn't see a point to do it again either, out of just fear of another reset.

What he said. If they do it once what is to stop them from doing in say 4 months. Then what you going to do start all over again? Stupid idea and goofy thread. Ain't going to happen.

Dolvar
07-28-2013, 08:55 AM
What he said. If they do it once what is to stop them from doing in say 4 months. Then what you going to do start all over again? Stupid idea and goofy thread. Ain't going to happen.

not a stupid idea nor a goofy thread.

as a restart due to hardware problems would be a forced restart regardless if they want to do it or not.

learn some respect.

murcielago200
07-28-2013, 10:12 AM
I would quit. Got 3 chars in 50s, 1 epic. I'm not starting from scratch again. My wife probably wants me to quit so reset may be good.

Faerie
07-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Seems like it's mostly the whiny raiders that would quit in the event of a reset. I don't support a wipe, but enough posts against the idea may change my mind.

Hex
07-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Would you play over?
What would you make? if so, is it different from your current class / race?

Nope, because it would all happen again. Corrupt from the top down!

SCB
07-28-2013, 11:02 AM
I'd play over, no problem. I'd definitely roll a different class - probably Paladin or Cleric since those are two I've never rolled.

thufir
07-28-2013, 11:02 AM
"Quit" is a bad word for it, but I don't think I'd be all-fired eager to start over immediately. I'd probably wait a few months first until the memories of this leg of the journey had faded to mostly-black and I had caught up on my current gaming backlog, which has been piling up thanks to p99. At which point, I would start over exactly how I rolled this guy and do as little different as possible.

Champion_Standing
07-28-2013, 11:14 AM
If there was a complete hardware failure to the extent that nothing could be recovered?

The server would likely just shut down...and that would be the end of P99.

But if there were fresh servers, I might play on a R99 just to experience that new pvp server chaos. But back to P99? Forget it.

webrunner5
07-28-2013, 11:26 AM
not a stupid idea nor a goofy thread.

as a restart due to hardware problems would be a forced restart regardless if they want to do it or not.

learn some respect.

How long do you think it would take TMO to get 25 players to level 60? Probably 3 weeks. And guess what the average Joe Blow would still be level 12 with a Fine Steel Weapon. Yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Trust me they have all the login and equipment data backed up 3 times over.

myriverse
07-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Nah. I'd probably just play PEQ or Hidden Forest or something. I'm just not that committed to the "classic" experience, although I do enjoy it. I was still having a blast on Live, circa 2005. I do miss cats and frogs.

If the hardware/software had a major failure, I'd probably take that as a sign from the great god Silicon that P99 was not meant to be.

Soandso
07-28-2013, 11:32 AM
I'd start over again and play a mage, get the level 44 mage pet and be OP as hell.

Breeziyo
07-28-2013, 01:06 PM
How long do you think it would take TMO to get 25 players to level 60? Probably 3 weeks. And guess what the average Joe Blow would still be level 12 with a Fine Steel Weapon. Yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Trust me they have all the login and equipment data backed up 3 times over.

3 weeks to get to level 12?

LOL

liveitup1216
07-28-2013, 02:41 PM

If one wipe in four years would make you think they'd do it again in four months...

hillgiantchamp
07-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Manastone? De masks for all? People your lvl grouping and no pling twinks around? Reset the server please and let's have some fun!

Junkman
07-28-2013, 03:32 PM
id roll a

panda monk and say goodbye BROSSSSSSSSSSSSS

username17
07-28-2013, 03:39 PM
I'd quit and play something else.

Edit: Why not make this a poll?

HawkMasterson1999
07-28-2013, 06:15 PM
I hope you all know the manastone camp would be locked down by the same small group of people who have the current uber lewts locked down. You probably have a better chance to save up and buy one on the current server. Everyone didn't know about p99 at first so a variety of different people got the chance to loot manastones. With RMT like it is now, manastone will be camped like a full time job. If we wiped the server now it wouldn't be a clean start, It would be a dirty start. Dirty from day 1.

silkwormxl
07-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Why do I keep seeing posts about wiping the server? I've never seen a GM respond to it or suggest a wipe.

Agatha
07-28-2013, 06:55 PM
have unconfirmed reports wipe is imminent.

Sarius
07-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Why do I keep seeing posts about wiping the server? I've never seen a GM respond to it or suggest a wipe.

GMs have said on several occasions that wipe will NEVER happen. I dunno why people keep posting threads like this. Wishful thinking?

Tecmos Deception
07-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Manastone? De masks for all? People your lvl grouping and no pling twinks around? Reset the server please and let's have some fun!

That's not quite what it would be like on a new server.

thufir
07-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I hope you all know the manastone camp would be locked down by the same small group of people who have the current uber lewts locked down. You probably have a better chance to save up and buy one on the current server. Everyone didn't know about p99 at first so a variety of different people got the chance to loot manastones. With RMT like it is now, manastone will be camped like a full time job. If we wiped the server now it wouldn't be a clean start, It would be a dirty start. Dirty from day 1.

Exactly. Maybe the server-reset people think they can horn out the current RMT crowd, but I don't understand why they think this when they can't do it right now. It'll be even worse because there will be fewer big money camps in the vanilla era.

Mattius
07-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Restart what I am already working on, Iskar warrior, Iskar necro, halfling rogue, halfling pally, but with a GM stating it won't happen, why mention it? lol