PDA

View Full Version : Some DDoS Q's

Urban Monk
07-27-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm sure some or most of this has been addressed but thought to centralize some of these questions.

- can this lag-DDoS issue be detected and resolved?

- is there a way to safeguard the server against further threats? If its a dollar issue to get protective upgrades can we talk more about that. Fairly confident the citizens of p99 would come together to support this

- can duping be detected/resolved?

- If this is a real phenomena can some/most victims of trading involving duped items be reimbursed or is it taken as a loss?

Thoughts and comments are most welcome by both Devs/GMs and the community.

khanable
07-27-2013, 01:09 PM
-by nature of a ddos, not really
-only mitigate damage for large sums of $$
-maybe, maybe not
-unlikely

Clark
07-27-2013, 01:10 PM
I'll pay 500 dollars to whoever provides me irl info leading to DDOS'r. I'll gouge his eyes out with a spoon.

Nietche
Server doesn't have a hardware-side firewall is my understanding. People with some 411 understand the problem better than I do.

Swish
Whoever is paying for them will either:-

A) Run out of money.
B) Get bored of it.
C) All of the above

Urban Monk
07-27-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm thinking if this issue as a whole can be tamed, and either Velious or some other fresh incentive gets introduced, the haters will hopefully be quelled.

And if we have to put trading etc on hold until this duping issue, if it exists, is resolved than maybe we can all take a mini-hiatus until things improve.

Champion_Standing
07-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Whoever is paying for them will either:-

A) Run out of money.
B) Get bored of it.
C) All of the above

That is assuming that the people doing it are even paying anyone, the length of time that it has been going on makes me doubt that they are.

Whoever is doing it either just enjoys watching the server crash and is trying to kill it for the lulz. Or they are doing it to gain some advantage such as duping, taking camps or raid mobs etc.

khanable
07-27-2013, 01:46 PM
It's entirely possible for people to have bot armies to do as they please with. See the FoH/Tyen lulz.

Agatha
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
^as khanable has stated, you guys do realize that in alot of cases, specialy with a sizable botnet like im talking 1million + bots, the bots never stop attacking, because the command doesnt get read by all the bots to stop attacking, he might have called the attack off already. But the problem is his bots havn't checked in for the new command to stop. And may never do so.

khanable
07-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Yea. So now we just need to wait for the Geek Squad to clear up grandma's computer so we can go back to enjoying our elf simulator.

Clark
07-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Agatha ddosing cus he lost mage botb is what im reading

she* I think

Agatha
07-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Naw naw, would never ddos without provocation.