PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice/Help

Tasslehofp99
07-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Sorry, I know this post doesn't belong here. I'm just looking for as many sources of information/experience regarding this topic/my issue. If I'm breaking any forum rules by posting this here please delete/lock thread as I've already posted it in offtopic section here: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116311

What the post says:

Ok so here is my situation:

I have 3 days of the week where I can't access the internet at work, and I'm getting tired of it. I spent the day looking around for solutions, and came across quite a few that were attractive. I understand there are ways to acquire an internet connection using a smartphone and certain apps that are available. I want something more reliable and legitimate, in other words I don't mind paying a little bit of money to guarantee that I will be able to connect at work.

The first thing that I found was this:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/...u600/features/

Then I found out that this product doesn't work with windows 8 laptops, which is a problem for me.

So I looked into this which some customer reviews have said IS indeed compatible with windows 8:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/...-pro/features/

Now, Im looking for information regarding the device itself AND information regarding the Virgin Mobile service. I initially was interested in virgin mobile because they require no contract/monthly billing, it is more or less pre-paid.

My first question is:

Does anyone here use Virgin Mobile pre-paid service for on the go broadband?

if so, what are your experiences with it?

Next is:
Are there any other affordable solutions to my problem in the New York City/Long Island area?

I have looked at other no contract/pre-paid services that are similar and some of them seem to have small catches or ways for them to somehow charge you for overages/usage of their service.

Please, any information/advice regarding this situation would be appreciated. I'm more or less looking for a reliable internet connection 2-3 days a week in the NYC/Long Island area without having to sign a contract or worry about overages. I basically just want internet access on the go for my laptop (no more than 2gb/month necessary) without the entanglement involved with dealing with service providers/contracts/etc.

Lojik
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
What kind of smartphone do you have? I don't know whats so unreliable or illegitimate in regards to using your smartphone as a wifi hotspot. At least with verizon where I am I get a pretty good signal and stable connection, and lag is not really much of a problem. Just dont spend a lot of time in Traks Teeth. Doesn't use much data either.

Agatha
07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Didn't read you're post because the format annoyed me but i did read the guys above me, kinda. and I think he mentioned the word "smart phone".

I'm going to deduce you are having a problem tethering? I use eztether for my droid.

Tasslehofp99
07-26-2013, 10:23 PM
I've got a verizon droid based smartphone, have tethered using foxfi/pdanet but the connection is shoddy at best on 3g. I'm due for an upgrade but if I upgrade to a 4g phone I think verizon will take away my unlimited data plan which I'm currently grandfathered into.

When I say reliable/legitimate I mean I want to be able to play EQ without lag/disconnection happening.

The virgin mobile options seem to be the most hassle free and cheap options, unless you guys knoe of some that I don't.

I've looked into the providers "clear" and "freedompop" but their coverage is limited in my area it seems.

Agatha
07-26-2013, 10:45 PM
3g should be more then enough to tether, eq uses very little bandwidth. The problem is most likely weak signal. and 4g isnt going to help you there.

Raavak
07-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I'm due for an upgrade but if I upgrade to a 4g phone I think verizon will take away my unlimited data plan which I'm currently grandfathered into.Wouldnt you be grandfathered with a new phone too? As long as you stayed with them?

Loli Pops
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Instead of investing money to play games at work, why not invest in yourself by learning new skills and widening your knowledge?

Tasslehofp99
07-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Wouldnt you be grandfathered with a new phone too? As long as you stayed with them?

You would think but switching to 4g requires a change to your plan according to verizon. They slap on some monthly 4g fee which ends up being 25 dollars extra a month. They said I would have to switch to a metered data plan.

Tasslehofp99
07-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Instead of investing money to play games at work, why not invest in yourself by learning new skills and widening your knowledge?

Cause the other 4 days a week when I'm not at work I'm in school 8 to 12 hours a day trying to do what you suggested. All work and no play makes tassle a dull boy.

Loli Pops
07-26-2013, 10:56 PM
You truly know nothing Jon Snow.