PDA

View Full Version : This is not classic.....

Kinlain
07-25-2013, 03:47 PM
So I just started not to long ago, and I am already figuring out this server is not classic AT ALL....

First: I can understand RMT, there has always been that, but allowing you to sell your accounts for plat is ok? Not to mention even selling them on the official site. if I remember right you weren't even allowed to share your account with a member of your own family on classic live. Let alone sell it for ingame currency.. This alone ruins the economy. Not to mention it also even invites RMT, new people can just buy plat. Come on this website, and purchase a raid lvl toon. How can GM's allow this?

Second: Camps.... in classic GM's would enforce camping rules, perma camping was not allowed at all, shoot "camping" was not even allowed except for a few special camps. When a certain camp was allowed like Fungi, epic camps etc. It was usally get your item, and leave the camp to the next person on the list.

Third: NBG: In classic, there was once a thing called need before greed. You know where if you need something you would get it before someone who can't even equip it, and wants it to resell. Granted, I am not 60 yet. So I don't know first hand how this plays out in high end camps, but from what I see on the forums its non exsistant.

Forth: Raiding.. In classic, there were rotations for raids which were GM enforced. None of this one guild conquer's all nonsense. This happened in classic, and verant quickly ended that. I don't see how GM's on this server do not enforce a rotation, it isn't hard.

Fifth: While I understand GM's cannot handle all these requests, but this is one of the reasons they had guides. This server has over 800 people. There should be no reason that there shouldnt be a few community guides to help enforce the rules, and overall make this a better experiance for new, and old players.

If this is going to be a mirror of classic EQ, that should also mean the same ruleset, am I right?

TheLieka
07-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Fuck you both. You are not entitled to shit. You have no clue what you're talking about. The staff (people with actual marketable skill-sets) on this server offer their time and services (both of which are in demand elsewhere) to a project that they enjoy, and you have the nerve to bitch at them about anything? I typically don't take the troll bait, but who the fuck do you think you are?

Let's start here:
You do not have the right to bitch about the service or the staff or anything related to the project. You deserve nothing. That is the truth. Period.
This project is here and is staffed by skilled people that have chosen to do so without any financial compensation.

The staff provides something to the project.
The staff receives nothing from the project.
The staff asks for nothing from the project.
You provide nothing to the project.
You receive something from the project.
You ask for something from the project.

So, in summary:
You have earned nothing. You deserve nothing. You receive something.

There is no entitlement. You have no right to bitch about anything that happens here, no right at all.

If you do not like the idea of being at the staff's mercy, and feel that you DO deserve more than you are receiving, then you have options. In fact, if you find yourself feeling the slightest annoyance directed toward them, then I strongly suggest that you go forth and start your own fucking project. After you've done so, please report back here and let us know how many times some clueless dipshit criticized you or your work before you changed your mind about the whole endeavor. This staff has not done so yet, as you still have a place to complain about them.

So, what can you do to repay the staff for their free service to the project to which you provide nothing? Why, thank you for asking, because your part of this is fairly easy.

You should report issues when you encounter them (without a shitty attitude),
and thank the staff for their time and services.

Hell, if you are able and have the means, then you can even donate to the project, but under no circumstances is it ever acceptable for you to complain or bitch about the level of service that is being provided to you. Remember - you provide nothing, and you deserve nothing, so you have no rights to complain about the something that you receive.

TL;DR - Shut the fuck up, Donny. You're out of your element. Dude, the Chinaman is not the issue here.

<3,
Dax

I don't always quote, but when I do, I quote a badass.

<3

Shinko
07-25-2013, 03:51 PM
yo bro no one gets paid here.

you do not pay for this eq

edit for the post above me is better

lecompte
07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
So I just started not to long ago, and I am already figuring out this server is not classic AT ALL....

First: I can understand RMT, there has always been that, but allowing you to sell your accounts for plat is ok? Not to mention even selling them on the official site. if I remember right you weren't even allowed to share your account with a member of your own family on classic live. Let alone sell it for ingame currency.. This alone ruins the economy. Not to mention it also even invites RMT, new people can just buy plat. Come on this website, and purchase a raid lvl toon. How can GM's allow this?

Second: Camps.... in classic GM's would enforce camping rules, perma camping was not allowed at all, shoot "camping" was not even allowed except for a few special camps. When a certain camp was allowed like Fungi, epic camps etc. It was usally get your item, and leave the camp to the next person on the list.

Third: NBG: In classic, there was once a thing called need before greed. You know where if you need something you would get it before someone who can't even equip it, and wants it to resell. Granted, I am not 60 yet. So I don't know first hand how this plays out in high end camps, but from what I see on the forums its non exsistant.

Forth: Raiding.. In classic, there were rotations for raids which were GM enforced. None of this one guild conquer's all nonsense. This happened in classic, and verant quickly ended that. I don't see how GM's on this server do not enforce a rotation, it isn't hard.

Fifth: While I understand GM's cannot handle all these requests, but this is one of the reasons they had guides. This server has over 800 people. There should be no reason that there shouldnt be a few community guides to help enforce the rules, and overall make this a better experiance for new, and old players.

If this is going to be a mirror of classic EQ, that should also mean the same ruleset, am I right?

So i'm not trying to be as ass here but based on MY recollection of classic: All false. As far as NBG goes, guild groups or groups with friends are NBG and pubby groups are greedy.

fastboy21
Can I have your stuff?

JackFlash
He means a mirror of HIS classic EQ experience. None of your rules applied to all servers. Definitely not the ones I played on.

indiscriminate_hater
07-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Can I have your stuff?

Beat me to it

Bantam 1
You're right, but -

1) They don't want to allow it, but can't figure out a way to block it yet.
2) They'd inforce most camps in classic, but they had GMs doing it. same with 3) and 4)... they just don't have the man power.
5) Sure they could start recruiting guides.... but they'd need to be heavily vetted... see a pattern here?

This server is as close to classic you can get with volunteers (who have lives) running the server.

General
all i can agree on is the Account trading...

Camping was completely normal on live EQ, in fact, it was so bad on Live EQ people would camp and log in right on the timer, atleast P1999 implemented a "spawn window" to prevent that shit...

Majority of groups ALWAYS do NBG, and at worst, would just /ran 100 for an item.. You either picked awful groups, or you didn't speak up that you needed.

Raid cycles were attempted and they don't work too well. It wasn't even implemented on Live servers till 2003, so technically thats "not classic"

if you want my opinion, i think this is TOO similar to Classic.. sometimes i kinda wished they were a little lenient on luclin options if someone wanted, or Guild tags UNDER the names, but i digress. Either way man, no hard feelings, just saying what i believe.

TheLieka
Focus your angst productively; learn to code.

hyper50
It mostly comes down to not being able to enforce stuff because there is no true full time moderation. The GMs/Guides are all volunteer and have a real life outside of the emulator. I think they do a great job at what they do. I certainly don't expect them to be able to enforce rules that SOE/Blizzard/whoever the hell ran Aion/etc with a full time workforce weren't able to enforce.

Mazeri
I am also new, and a bit worried about the high end levels/camps/raids... but still a long ways away from that.

Most of the time forums make things look worse than they really are, and in a server like this I am sure rules need to bend in order to keep the population happy.

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Beat me to it

I posted first...all his stuffs are belong to me! :rolleyes:

Bantam 1
07-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Also the "I don't recollect" stuff is mostly people lying. The rotation stuff was mostly put in place on servers who had many competitive guilds.... if your server didn't no one cared.

NegaStoat
07-25-2013, 03:57 PM
As a newer player on the server and having played EQ from launch to PoP, I agree with the bulk of your post. Points 1 & 4 are the big ones, but 2 & 3 weren't handled or enforced by GM's at all. Maybe pre Kunark, but not after that. Not with the player load the GM's were facing. It was especially routine to see Lower Guk perma camped solely for plat sales in EC, there was never ever a "I got the drop so now it's time for me to go" thing.

I echo your sentiment though. The server's economy resembles the end of Velious era in stride, which makes sense considering how long the server's been running and has been stuck on Kunark. I'm not complaining with that (new player, why should I?) - I get that Velious is to be launched with as much of the content actually working as possible with accurate drops and quests, and that ain't easy with all the necessary research.

The thing that kills the server for me is the "hey, it's 6:30 Pacific Time. Looks like random DDoS is up for the day for more duping and economy wrecking."

I literally have never heard of this kind of situation existing on a different mmo private server of any sort. DDoS from angry banned players? Sure. DDoS for real money profit? WTF? On a routine daily basis.

I'm sticking it out 'cause I think the Admins are up to this current challenge. I have faith.

Lyra
07-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I think the Admins are up to this current challenge. I have faith.

I agree. We need to be patient and let them do what they do best while clicking adds and donating.

Bantam 1
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
I agree. We need to be patient and let them do what they do best while clicking adds and donating.

Oh hell no. Nothing good comes from clicking those ads.

Its like if I had a slimy hole in the wall and I said... put your hand inside.. it'll help the server.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-25-2013, 04:10 PM
TheLieka has neither the time nor the inclination to explain himself to a player who freely logs on and logs off the very emuserver that they provide, and then questions the manner in which they provide it.

TheLieka would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way.

Otherwise, TheLieka suggest you pick up programming and work some code.

Either way, TheLieka don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

rickjames
07-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Welcome to project 1999, where any sort of suggestion or objection is met with a heavy handed 'fuck you'

Kinlain
07-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Welcome to project 1999, where any sort of suggestion or objection is met with a heavy handed 'fuck you'

What it seems like so far... Didn't know some healthy criticism, turns into p99 dev fanbois, attacking me.

Krycek
07-25-2013, 04:28 PM
I've been here about 2 month's now and would just like to thank everyone involved with bringing this server to life and keeping it going. It's great. So, again, thank you!

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 04:29 PM
It isn't that folks don't like/listen to criticism...its that this server breeds people who need to be reminded 8 times a day that this is a free emulator server, not some kind of life defining opportunity or a cathartic experience.

The server is fine...mostly because Rogean and Nilbog take great care of it. Relax and enjoy the game.

When you get that classic EQ itch to punch your monitor it is time to unplug and go outside for a few days.

I'm not suggesting you fall into that camp, but it is why folks react to people who play here getting super serious about the server.

Lyra
07-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Oh hell no. Nothing good comes from clicking those ads.

Its like if I had a slimy hole in the wall and I said... put your hand inside.. it'll help the server.

ad block plus.

Yeah, just clicking should be enough to do the trick.

Rogean made an in-game GM announcement around 2010 about this. I can't find the forum thread, but I'm sure there is one.

Clicking ads offsets the server farm cost.

Click 1 ad per computer, per day, to help pay for P99 costs.

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107096

DoucLangur
07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
lots of good points

I fully support all your points. However, this server has a majority of douchebags in the high end, especially in the raiding scene, and they feed off the frustration of others. Sadly, they also donate enough money to the server (or in more direct ways?) that if they cry enough about some issue, it will be handled the way they want it to be handled.

So for decent players, there's about two options:
1) accept the fact, ignore the retards and play where they aren't
2) do not play on project 1999

For now, I am going with 1) - but especially your very valid points about perma-camping will make me consider 2) if they do never get addressed. It's a pretty weak performance by server GMs to allow people to create a corpse with a high profile drop on it and stay in the camp for another drop.

Also speaks volumes about the character traits of all those people who have no problem with this.

I fully support your requests, but I have a suspicion the GMs / Devs will not consider them before population seriously drops thanks to retards. And then it will probably be too late.

Sherrypie/Slozem

rickjames
07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
It isn't that folks don't like/listen to criticism...its that this server breeds people who need to be reminded 8 times a day that this is a free emulator server, not some kind of life defining opportunity or a cathartic experience.

The server is fine...mostly because Rogean and Nilbog take great care of it. Relax and enjoy the game.

When you get that classic EQ itch to punch your monitor it is time to unplug and go outside for a few days.

I'm not suggesting you fall into that camp, but it is why folks react to people who play here getting super serious about the server.

Seems more like it breeds people that think white-knighting it on the forum and trying to live in Nilbog's underwear is going to net them some sort of benefit. Like he's going to show up like Ed McMahon with a giant check and balloons at your house and make you a GM if you flame enough new people.

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Seems more like it breeds people that think white-knighting it on the forum and trying to live in Nilbog's underwear is going to net them some sort of benefit. Like he's going to show up like Ed McMahon with a giant check and balloons at your house and make you a GM if you flame enough new people.

Maybe it breeds both. Not sure why the hate for Nilbog's underwear though. :p

Tasslehofp99
07-25-2013, 04:47 PM
The server not being "Classic" has more to do with the community/players then the devs/Gm's. The only thing the GM's could do (at the moment) is to have more regular simulated patch days, and outlaw training in VP (and any other non-CSR zone, because non-csr did not = training on live.) I think these 2 things would go a long way towards making p99 more classic.

Also, was recharging items allowed in classic? I'd love to get right of recharging if it wasn't classic.

Atmas
07-25-2013, 04:58 PM

Never ever on my live server was their a rotation, and it sure as hell wouldn't have been enforced by GMs.

Kinlain
07-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Never ever on my live server was their a rotation, and it sure as hell wouldn't have been enforced by GMs.

Not sure what server you played on, but on my server in classic there was about 4-5 high end raid guilds. It started with one guild socking everything, then due to player compliants Verant enforced a rotation. It worked well.... Sure I didn't play on all the servers, but I would assume alot or most of the servers had this same kind of scenerio.

Even if there "wasn't" a rotation, wouldn't putting one in fix all sorts of raid issues P99 faces now?

skipdog
07-25-2013, 05:14 PM

I think the main reason people can get a bit hostile, is because every point you made literally has hundreds of pages of threads devoted to discussing those things. So, to a lot of us, you are just bringing up points that have been argued again and again for years.

Most of us are fully aware of the pros/cons associated with all of your points and most of us have come to the conclusion that after years of discussing these things, there is very little that can be said that will suddenly cause the server GMs to change things. Most of us have chosen to play on this server because of the way it currently works and have accepted its various nuances. We have made the decision to dedicate hundreds of hours of our lives to enjoying this server and its ruleset.

People might be a bit hostile because your post is well.. filled with ignorance. The GMs do a better job here policing RMTers than any live server of any MMO I've ever played on. If you think RMT is nearly as rampant on here compared to any live server anywhere, you are just straight up delusional. Your point about 'camping wasn't allowed on live' is something I certainly have never heard of. People certainly claimed camps back in live and sat there for many hours. Also, I've spent hundreds of hours grouping on this server, and your complaints about 'need before greed' make me think that you haven't invested nearly the amount of time in groups compared to most of us. Need before greed does seem to be the standard 95%+ of the time.

The main point you should take from my post, is that these topics have been beaten to death, so feel free to continue arguing your point, but realize that all sides of all of these issues have been discussed at great length already in these forums, and there is little you can say that will change the minds and hearts of the general population at this point in time.

Kinlain
07-25-2013, 05:27 PM
So with your wisdom, when P99 is quoted as a Classic server emulator. Buying, and selling characters on the official forums is deemed classic? I was under the assumption, that this was a PROJECT, to try to make a emulator server, as classic as possible. I can understand, the dev's do alot more than what verant did when it came to RMT. Keep in mind however RMT, was not as big back then as it is now. Verant, had a pretty strict EULA also, about not even sharing your account even with someone in the household. If you played back then, you should know that.

Sarius
07-25-2013, 05:42 PM
They cannot ban account selling because they devs here so not control eqemu when the login server info is kept and created. It would be tedious to regulate a ban on account selling in the forums and next to impossible to regulate it in game.

JackFlash
07-25-2013, 05:53 PM
I think the main reason people can get a bit hostile, is because every point you made literally has hundreds of pages of threads devoted to discussing those things. So, to a lot of us, you are just bringing up points that have been argued again and again for years.

Most of us are fully aware of the pros/cons associated with all of your points and most of us have come to the conclusion that after years of discussing these things, there is very little that can be said that will suddenly cause the server GMs to change things. Most of us have chosen to play on this server because of the way it currently works and have accepted its various nuances. We have made the decision to dedicate hundreds of hours of our lives to enjoying this server and its ruleset.

People might be a bit hostile because your post is well.. filled with ignorance. The GMs do a better job here policing RMTers than any live server of any MMO I've ever played on. If you think RMT is nearly as rampant on here compared to any live server anywhere, you are just straight up delusional. Your point about 'camping wasn't allowed on live' is something I certainly have never heard of. People certainly claimed camps back in live and sat there for many hours. Also, I've spent hundreds of hours grouping on this server, and your complaints about 'need before greed' make me think that you haven't invested nearly the amount of time in groups compared to most of us. Need before greed does seem to be the standard 95%+ of the time.

The main point you should take from my post, is that these topics have been beaten to death, so feel free to continue arguing your point, but realize that all sides of all of these issues have been discussed at great length already in these forums, and there is little you can say that will change the minds and hearts of the general population at this point in time.

This

Nads
07-25-2013, 05:55 PM
This entire thread boils down to one common theme: All anybody does nowadays is complain, complain, complain. Not just in-game, but everywhere. People need to fucking man up and stop feeling sorry for themselves.

lecompte
07-25-2013, 06:02 PM
No point in bitching. If I don't like a book or a piece of art, I don't write a letter to the creators and tell them what crap it is -- I quit reading/viewing it. No one is forcing anyone to be here. It isn't going to change based on our votes or any such thing.

Swish
07-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Not sure about the other points but I do remember an oft used quote on the official forums with people saying "there are no camps in EverQuest". We as players have always trod the path we wanted in terms of if someone is camping Mob X or Room X we'll leave them to it, maybe wait around to take over if they leave etc. But as far as my memory goes, camps were a player construct and the good old "Play Nice Policy" was there to ensure we all got along and didn't throw hissy fits, steal kills, etc etc.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-25-2013, 06:26 PM
OP is forgetting first rule of eqforums: people will just fuck with you, because they are bored, like to see if they can be clever-rude, or maybe have heard the question a thousand times and decided to go off.

Care bears we ain't. And that's classic, killain. To paraphrase Chinatown, "It the fucking messageboards Jake, forget about it."

It's not always unpleasant! Try again!

Sabrine
07-25-2013, 08:53 PM

Camping was always around. not sure what server you were on but it was there on mine. sucked sometimes not ever being able to get a camp for days but ohwell. now if you wanted to a GM would tell you no camps in the game but how would they really enforce it...there would be a fight at the spot and a train and a wipe............................

yeah this requires honesty so really the only way this ever worked was in groups of people you knew and trusted. I never saw a need before greed with strangers..they took whatever they wanted and usually got booted from the group.

Thank goodness for DKP eventually on raids ;)

again your server was different....ever hear of Fires of Heaven? yeah my server was theirs. they were the top guild and raided and took it all. we had no rotations. it was a first come first serve or you got squat.

I think I saw an application to be a guide on here. maybe they do just not as many as you feel they should have....I think when I was a guide we only had like 10 or 20 a server on the one I had there was maybe about that. a full server back in the day was a lot more then 800.

I am sure if they had us pay to play things may be a tad different but be happy with what it is. we may not have one at all.

Orotiagito
07-26-2013, 08:10 AM
I don't always quote, but when I do, I quote a badass.

<3

I think we learned something today.

skorge
07-26-2013, 08:27 AM

1: Account Trading - Back in '99-'00 Account selling was legal and people would actually list their accounts for money on eBay. Then they chose to ban the selling of accounts so people would get around this by selling their "time." Eventually, Sony banned the use of the word Everquest on eBay so you could no longer reasonably sell or trade accounts there (if the word EQ or Everquest was used it would auto delete your list within 24 hours). This spawned websites such as Playerauctions.com where many people who played Everquest went to trade and sell their accounts. In conclusion, Project 99 does a better job than Live did because here they are only being traded for other accounts or in-game platinum. By allowing us to use the official forums to do so was a smart decision. It is also somewhat of a plat sink, which is highly needed on a server where Kunark has been out 2-3 years now and tons of plat is in the system.

2: Camping - I'm not sure what server you played on but I played on Veeshan where the guild, Fires of Heaven played and let me tell you, they perma camped every raid mob in the game to the point of frustration. Not only that, there was KS'ing galore going on, even on just regular experience type mobs. It was so bad at one point (in '99) that you would have to log in your main just to KS the other guy's mob so he will stop KS'ing your alt. Point is, it was never that good to start with. P99 is doing the best they can.

3: NBG - NBG existed on this server up to two years ago or so. It existed strong a good bit into Kunark...a year or so after it (when Velious should have been out) everyone and their cousin started getting lewtz. Thus, people decided to just roll on most drops because of the time frame of the server. With Kunark being out for well over 2 years now, people almost feel inclined to ignore NBG and just roll, mostly because most people have alts that they want to twink. If the server would have followed the real EQ timeline this wouldn't be the case.

4: Raiding - As far as I remember it wasn't GM enforced it was "community allowed." All the guilds on server X agreed to set up a rotation and this rotation was that server's law. On P99 we have hardcore greedy nerds that don't care to set up any type of rotation (you know who you are). I agree tho, a rotation of some type needs to be planned and followed through with. This would allow for a better community.

5: Guides - They are constantly looking for new help and sometimes even make sticky threads about it. Just keep your eyes open for any type of announcement and maybe you can help.

Sabrine
07-26-2013, 08:47 AM
curious Skorge who were you on veeshan? was my server also from the beginning to the end of it with the merger

Peener
07-26-2013, 08:50 AM

My theory is that in the past 10 years or so, gamers (particularly MMORPGers) have degenerated into self-entitled pricks with an exaggerated sense of their own importance. This post is a great example of that.

I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect I think one of the things that made EQ great was that its devs and admins really didn't give two shits about their playerbase. They not only force fed us updates and expansions full of bugs, but the original game, by accident or by design, took an entirely hands-off approach to moderating content. No instancing meant that servers had to make their own rules for everything from camps to raid mob rotations. If someone trained you or ninja'd your mob, you didn't petition it like a little bitch - you took it to the server forums and the person who did it would be held accountable. As a result, there was a sense of community in pre-Luclin EQ that's not nearly as prevalent in most modern games.

I'm not sure if it was the introduction of instancing or something else entirely that brought about all of this whining, but the number of "this isn't fair to me, I want admins to level the playing field" type posts on these forums is disgusting and doesn't belong in Everquest. If you want a game with a shitload of arbitrary rules that are over-enforced, go play World of Warcraft.

skorge
07-26-2013, 08:59 AM
curious Skorge who were you on veeshan? was my server also from the beginning to the end of it with the merger

Hey man, I played on Veeshan until the server split then I went to Saryn. I was in Order of the Phoenix. My first main was Amus Avalanche, a barbarian shaman...I ended up selling him for $1,700 on eBay way back in the day.

newsmurf
07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
My theory is that in the past 10 years or so, gamers (particularly MMORPGers) have degenerated into self-entitled pricks with an exaggerated sense of their own importance. This post is a great example of that.

If someone trained you or ninja'd your mob, you didn't petition it like a little bitch.

If you want a game with a shitload of arbitrary rules that are over-enforced, go play World of Warcraft.

Man i like this Peen guy. Finally someone who has a set of huevos. Too many wankers out there throwing their hands up in the air about things being unfair, wanting immediately for the GMs to fix their problems instead of taking some kind of measure into their own hands to change things. Im guessing a lot of these goofballs were the kind of kids who ran to the teacher to tattle tale if they didn't get their way in the sandbox, apparently not much has changed for them =/.

Sabrine
07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Nice! Had a druid named Suka and still have my enchanter Locco. think he is 85? both are on the server veeshan merged with

remade Suka here =)

Thulack
07-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Welcome OP to 2013's Project 1999 not 1999 Verant EQ. While i agree and it sounds like you were on Brell server when you started people here do what they want and have no regard for the way anything ran on "normal" servers back in the day.

Sadre Spinegnawer
07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect I think one of the things that made EQ great was that its devs and admins really didn't give two shits about their playerbase. They not only force fed us updates and expansions full of bugs, but the original game, by accident or by design, took an entirely hands-off approach to moderating content. No instancing meant that servers had to make their own rules for everything from camps to raid mob rotations. If someone trained you or ninja'd your mob, you didn't petition it like a little bitch - you took it to the server forums and the person who did it would be held accountable. As a result, there was a sense of community in pre-Luclin EQ that's not nearly as prevalent in most modern games.

I'm not sure if it was the introduction of instancing or something else entirely that brought about all of this whining, but the number of "this isn't fair to me, I want admins to level the playing field" type posts on these forums is disgusting and doesn't belong in Everquest. If you want a game with a shitload of arbitrary rules that are over-enforced, go play World of Warcraft.

Could it be that it was all so simple then, or has time rewritten every line?

And if we could all do it over again, tell me....

Would we?

Could we?

Memories, may be beautiful, and yet,

what's too painful to remember, we choose to forget.

So it's the laughter

we will remember

whenever we remember

The way...... we were

baramur
07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
If you want something changed you need to have TMO request it. If you want a rotations you need to have TMO request it, after all they got their rotation. Sad fact is prolly 80 percent of the server wants rotation, and 20 percent doesn't, and yes in classic Verant did enforce rotations, if guilds refused to create their own, you just had to push for it. Sadly most changes p99 makes, actually helps one guild monopolize content. Varience, changes to vp, little server respawns, all these things favor TMO more then any other guild. Take out varience, its not classic, you have FTE shout, maybe after the stupidity of sitting 200 people on a mob a few dozen times, the guilds will actually get together and work on high end raiding.

Kelven
07-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Everyone had a different live experience, but far and wide I think people back then were alot more 'human' when it came to discussing issues.

People on this server have a constant greedy entitlement chip on their shoulder. ( trying to relive their great nostalgia )

This server will never have a rotation so long as variance is around.

Peener
07-26-2013, 09:56 AM
and yes in classic Verant did enforce rotations, if guilds refused to create their own, you just had to push for it.

Utter bullshit.

runlvlzero
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
It was a lot harder to organize 200 people who were random pugs until they got in a guild as well. Batphones didnt exist. Irc did. And people had lives. People on this box don't have lives, batphone, and have years of gaming experience organizing. The ones that are monopolizing the content are just doing what they do. Its wrong, they should consider the feelings of 'lesser beings' on the interwebs. But they don't give a F***

Eventually they will grow bored and others will take their places, learning from them by example.

Unless the community as a whole has some voice in how the end game is managed.

Guilds were smaller and generally more disorganized. Biggest guild Bertox had for awhile was around 40 people on a good night. Back when fear was implemented. And that uberguild eventually schismed into two smaller guilds which slowly grew to be the main raiding guilds on the box by 2001

newsmurf
07-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Or here's an idea...a couple guilds could stop being pusscakes and merge together, and kill a few mobs...whoa crazy idea...impossibru for people to work together.

FE grabbed last trak, Divinity just grabbed sev, obviously it's possible if people try hard enough they can accomplish stuff, stop being wankers and put your nose to the grindstone.

Thulack
07-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Or here's an idea...a couple guilds could stop being pusscakes and merge together, and kill a few mobs...whoa crazy idea...impossibru for people to work together.

FE grabbed last trak, Divinity just grabbed sev, obviously it's possible if people try hard enough they can accomplish stuff, stop being wankers and put your nose to the grindstone.

Trying hard in a 14 year old game is way overrated.

myriverse
07-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Batphones are completely classic.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 10:17 AM
What it seems like so far... Didn't know some healthy criticism, turns into p99 dev fanbois, attacking me.

I think everyone acknowledges precieved flaws in the server. Some of us also acknowledge that "healthy criticism" isn't going to result in anything cause the dev's don't give a hoot AND we (the community) have a pretty sweet deal. This is akin to everyone bitching about <insert country you live in> but you don't see anyone going out and founding their own Country, or moving to Botswana.

xCry0x
07-26-2013, 10:33 AM

.................................................. ...

Nobody would have to criticize you if you weren't so completely wrong about everything you type out.

Nirgon
07-26-2013, 10:47 AM
For most people, the game was about leveling and seeing a few raids as end game.

Now it's about having the most alts with Phara Dar loot.

Velious is going to get smoked imo.

I shudder to think how fast trash can be farmed in ToV on day 1.

Peener
07-26-2013, 11:03 AM
For most people, the game was about leveling and seeing a few raids as end game.

Now it's about having the most alts with Phara Dar loot.

Velious is going to get smoked imo.

I shudder to think how fast trash can be farmed in ToV on day 1.

So? Who gives a shit? How does this prevent you from "leveling and seeing a few raids as end game"?

Nietche
07-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Playing on Rallos Zek, none of the last 4 were relevant.

1) I really don't know how it was on RZ.

2) If you didn't like that some asshat was logging in on ph timers or perma-camping a spot
--> PvP

3) If you didn't like some asshat for ninja-looting an item or taking an item he didn't need, there were options: (a) PvP; (b) Permanent KoS status; (c) Lobby for server-inclusive Permanent KoS status

4) If you didn't like that some asshat guild was taking all the uber mobs
-->PvP

5) If GM's went afk on RZ and didn't have their slash tag invincibility buff on, they were killed as a matter of course--which, by the way, really improved morale for the server.

Conclusion/Solution: Make anyone tagged IB/FE/TMO/BDA PvP'able, and we'll settle this like men (or mice).

falkun
07-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Conclusion/Solution: Make anyone tagged IB/FE/TMO/BDA PvP'able, and we'll settle this like men (or mice).

That's a big claim coming from someone who didn't go red. BDA put this out to everyone on the server a while back, I remember fighting Sentenza and a select few other TMO's, but no Neitche, and no FE or IB.

heartbrand
07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
On live all you had to do was cite the play nice policy @ a camp and instantly the other group was forced to split spawns with you. I griefed a lot of people with the PNP.

Nietche
07-26-2013, 11:18 AM
That's a big claim coming from someone who didn't go red. BDA put this out to everyone on the server a while back, I remember fighting Sentenza and a select few other TMO's, but no Neitche, and no FE or IB.

Who is Deajay? No one else knows either.

Gaffin Deeppockets
07-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Who is Deajay? No one else knows either.

Nirgon
07-26-2013, 11:23 AM
So? Who gives a shit? How does this prevent you from "leveling and seeing a few raids as end game"?

How does this change most players' current perspective of the game and how they play it?

:o