PDA

View Full Version : Simple solution to RMT.

Iron Dragon
07-25-2013, 03:24 PM
If you'd like a simple solution for RMT, implement a shared bank and then put a cap on how much platinum, gold, silver and copper a character can carry. A cap of say, 10,000 coins of each type would limit every account to 80,000 (Assuming there's 8 character slots) platinum, give or take.

There's nothing in the game that costs more than 10,000 platinum from an NPC vendor, no quests that ask for 10,000 platinum, so anything more than that is unnecessary and promotes farming, duping and RMT.

#1 You'd see less perma-camping of high-priced drops, because the price would drastically lower, and even if you could sell one, there's a limit to how many coins your account can carry, so there's less reason to go camp it again just to sell it.

#2 RMTs would be SOL. There'd be no need to run out and buy platinum, because the maximum price for traded items would be 10,000 platinum, which most people could accrue naturally.

#3 You could still have duping for the lazy and dishonest, but it would be for personal use rather than to sell, and the inccidents of duping would probably be become very rare. It wouldn't be worth duplicating an item for a measely 10,000 platinum, especially when your account can only hold 80,000.

*shrugs* Might be hard to implement, depending on the codes, but I feel like it's a decent solution to a real problem.

Scavrefamn
07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
How about just ban all of them?

Buyers and sellers alike.

Kope
Wouldn't transactions just happen at a bank location then?

citizen1080
Sorry to shit in your cereal sir...but no.

Accounts are free to make you know, so everyone would just have 100 mule accounts...which leads to logging multiple toons to pay for one items..which leads to scams...which leads to....oh wait. Higher demand for brokering service!

Please impliment this!

SwordNboard
The USD to plat value would just adapt...

Rhuma7
07-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Value is relative to demand.

You're an idiot to think that capping coins somehow makes platinum worth less, it makes it worth more per coin.

100k plat = $2.00
10k plat = ?

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 03:30 PM
You can't beat RMT out of an MMO, especially EQ.

EQ couldn't have been designed to be more RMT friendly if the original devs had been trying.

Switzglock
I kind of like the basic idea here...

But all it would do is highly promote trading.

Ill trade you a AoN for either something uber, or 5 fungi tunics.

It would eliminate a plat based economy, which could result in people willing to give up items not useful for less "value".

Maybe 100k should be the max tho, how much do you need to max out a tradeskill??

It would be a lot easier to snuff out RMT's if you can follow the items and not the plat.... And yes, anyone can farm 10k plat in a few days at level 60, so it would make plat utterly worthless

Rhuma7
You can't beat RMT out of an MMO, especially EQ.

EQ couldn't have been designed to be more RMT friendly if the original devs had been trying.

Firiona Vie :P

Raavak
07-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Look at what an artificial ceiling does to a supply-demand curve. I'm not sure that is desirable either.

Triangle
07-25-2013, 03:32 PM
This wouldn't solve anything. Instead of selling and buying people would just trade items. the items themselves would be put up for RMT instead of the plat.

On my server people mistrusted plat for a long while and refused to sell big items, but traded them instead.

Secondly, the people who do have large amounts of plat would just transfer it around ahead of time to new accounts. If they weren't given notice then the people who didn't change their plat over to items would be arbitrarily penalized for not doing so (there are people who have vast amounts of platinum that is invested in items/accounts who would not be penalized, this is why its arbitrary).

Wotsirb401
PLus how are the legit people who actually have over 80k saving up for dragon loot supposed to ever buy items, no one is going to do transactions at NFP for a 250k cobalt bp . That's the beauty of the eC tunnel

Freakish
WTS Fungi 80k + 10 stacks of rubies.

Vermouth
07-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Doesn't fix anything. The cost per plat would go up to adjust with items being 10k or less. So say, in your new economy, 10k is the new high end price for items, 10k would then be selling for $500 or whatever the price is now to buy lots of plat.

Rhuma7
07-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Oh and just to add, even if plat was capped at 1.

Players move to item currencies.
Instead of items being sold for platinum it would move to gems or any other high value stackable item.

lecompte
07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out a way to put this gently but I don't know if it is possible. This thread was made by someone on a forum account that has made a single post and so likely has not read the reams of (admittedly, mostly stupid) suggestions related to RMTing/duping. I know people are bored without the EQ servers up and the forums are an outlet but really? REALLY?

PS: I hope the servers stay down another 5 hours until I get home from work, and I think my odds aren't bad because Rogean is likely working too. Us salarymen want our go at the repops :).

Excidium
07-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I kind of like the basic idea here...

But all it would do is highly promote trading.

Ill trade you a AoN for either something uber, or 5 fungi tunics.

It would eliminate a plat based economy, which could result in people willing to give up items not useful for less "value".

Maybe 100k should be the max tho, how much do you need to max out a tradeskill??

It would be a lot easier to snuff out RMT's if you can follow the items and not the plat.... And yes, anyone can farm 10k plat in a few days at level 60, so it would make plat utterly worthless

You do not want an item driven economy. That would put all new players even farther out of the chance of gearing up. Everything single item that has a high value will become even more valuable with more players perma camping even more spawns. Atleast platinum can be generated by selling stuff you don't want to NPC vendors. Do you really think you can sell enough gems to a vendor so he hands you back a fungi tunic? Didn't think so.

Iron Dragon
07-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Value is relative to demand.

You're an idiot to think that capping coins somehow makes platinum worth less, it makes it worth more per coin.

100k plat = $2.00
10k plat = ?

Please don't call me names for trying to suggest an idea.

It takes X amount of time to farm 100,000 platinum. People don't consider that time investment worthwhile. Lets say it takes 50 hours of gameplay to get that 100,000. So 50 hours is $2.00. That's what people are paying for. They're paying for the time it takes to gather platinum.

The sky high prices encourage people to skip the farming part, and just rely on farming services instead. (In this case, it's duplicating services. So people are paying actual $ for a product that is created instantly, with no effort, and also crashes the game for many people while it's being done.) This is because they just don't have time to get a million platinum for items.

However, 10,000 platinum is a different story. Lets say it takes 5 hours of game time to collect that much. People are more likely to gain that 10,000 naturally while leveling and grinding, so there's way less farming that needs done. I feel like people are more likely to say, "Well I have 8,000 already. I can either pay Z-Duper $10 for the other 2,000 platinum, or just go farm for a couple of hours. I think I'll farm." If it was $10 for 500,000 platinum, it'd be a different story and people are more likely to pay RMTs for it.

What will hurt RMTs is taking away the power to artificially inflate prices by duplicating millions of platinum. A more level playing field in terms of platinum caps could make a lot of this problem go away.

Wotsirb401
07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah, i want a shot at Trak

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Firiona Vie :P

touche.

indiscriminate_hater
07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
worst idea yet

indiscriminate_hater
07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Is this Hazaa's new forum name?

Turp_SmokinPurp
07-25-2013, 03:56 PM
People will pay, as seen in the Razdeline thread about buying some hardware to fix the DDOS problem.
/showthread.php?t=116178
It sounds good , but Sirken explained it in his stream that money could not solve the problem , or we would do that (hopefully a GM can comment and explain this better)
Instead of throwing money at the DDOS why not here?..

If GM Ephi is down? example being...

If Ephi is serious about banning the RMT, is it possible he would let the community help out. An example being Platlord saling @ Platlord.com and community member A goes to the site, sets up an order and gets some plat,any amount.
He is working with GM Ephi so he tells him and if the character has enough plat say 250k+??* ban it.
and, If he is willing to do this, will he keep repeating this type of process Because **...
There is no way they could stay in business if this was done.
Player Sting Operation 101. Would take down the best of the best Chinese farmers.
If the ACTUAL players of p99 act like they want to buy, than the salers sell, and can get caught VERY EASILY.

**If he is open to this idea, you could reward illusion potions or something to the confidential informant or any reward you choose and you will get more players to join in and offer there IP to get the "platlords".

What does the community think the amount of plat the character should have before engage the ban, i said 250k+ would be a significant hit , unless these Platlords have a dupe or exploit. If the character has under the set amount use the Community member A to buy more plat (let him know how much to break that character) and find the next account etc.

If you do not want to take them down ,Than can we forget RMT ... and everyone focus on Velious or something else . Thanks.

Menemas
07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
The problem with your solution, Iron Dragon, I'd that while it limits the accumulation of coin, it does not limit the accumulation of value. If anything, the farming of high value items would likely increase as people keep them for trade instead if liquidating into currency.

Iron Dragon
07-25-2013, 04:11 PM
The problem with your solution, Iron Dragon, I'd that while it limits the accumulation of coin, it does not limit the accumulation of value. If anything, the farming of high value items would likely increase as people keep them for trade instead if liquidating into currency.

*shrugs paws* Perhaps. People have shot plenty of holes in my idea. No one has offered another solution in this thread, though.

I give up.

Clark
07-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Is this Hazaa's new forum name?

no offense, but retarded idea man

phantomz
07-25-2013, 04:51 PM
HERES AN IDEA. LEAVE RMT THE FUCK ALONE. ALL THIS DDOS SHIT STARTED BECAUSE THE GMS FUCKED WITH RMT SHIT AND NOW LOOK. NO ONE CAN PLAY FOR LIKE 3 WEEKS.

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 04:54 PM
HERES AN IDEA. LEAVE RMT THE FUCK ALONE. ALL THIS DDOS SHIT STARTED BECAUSE THE GMS FUCKED WITH RMT SHIT AND NOW LOOK. NO ONE CAN PLAY FOR LIKE 3 WEEKS.

When you say it in all caps folks agree with you more. :)

Iron Dragon
07-25-2013, 05:00 PM
no offense, but retarded idea man

*shrugs*

phantomz
07-25-2013, 05:03 PM
When you say it in all caps folks agree with you more. :)

Well you should agree with me. RMT people are not going to stop its just fucking everyone over.

Heres a good question.

When was the last time some person who looks so RMT its ridiculous with fungi, cof, manastone whatever wanted to join your group and everyone was not instantly like GET THE TWINK!

fullmetalcoxman
07-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Gotta do something drastic if you want to stop it. Whoever compared it to the war on drugs was spot on. As long as the market exists, people will find a way to supply the demand.

Something drastic:
Epics are no longer MQable.
All items dropping from lvl 46+ NPCs are now no-drop.

Even if you did that, people would probably just RMT characters instead of items and plat.

Lyra
07-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Gotta do something drastic if you want to stop it

Nothing drastic is going to happen for a number of reasons.

Nilbog - It's not classic
Sirken - It shows the server is successful

Maybe Rogean would want to do something drastic if he determines the DDoS attacks are RMT'ers trying to screw with his server, but I don't think it would be anything to dissuade RMT.