PDA

View Full Version : Another possible cause for the server lags...

Hazaa
07-25-2013, 01:02 AM
I know everyone is on the Dupe band wagon... but hear me out..With the increasing knowledge of low hp aggro kiting and people making bards cause they so..
http://domainshane.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/jelly_toast_Strawberry.jpg
I have even seen wizards and other classes being the "bait" for them, increasing the numbers of NPCentipedes around the world...

What if multiple players are doing this in different zones at the same time...
http://s7.postimg.org/f4rmd2yej/npcentipede1.jpg
http://s24.postimg.org/uz85ofa1h/npcentipede2.jpg
I mean this shit has got to be straining the server someway or another... People always says .. dont look right at it or you will drop to 0 fps.. even my comp lags some looking at this mess..

citizen1080
07-25-2013, 01:13 AM
Bards knocked down the towers

1203jjt
07-25-2013, 01:14 AM
It happens too regularly at the same time for that to be it, in my opinion...

Frieza_Prexus
07-25-2013, 01:14 AM
AE kites should not be looked at because they will tax the visual processing power of your computer when it attempts to render all of the mobs at once.

The server does not waste resources in this way. It merely keeps track of where the mobs are and what they are doing. It does this at all times, so rounding them up will not increase the strain on the server at all.

Nimblefork
07-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Bards knocked down the towers

carli
07-25-2013, 01:43 AM
the more threads and attention you give to the DDoSer, the more fun he has doing it.

just my 2cp

Hazaa
07-25-2013, 02:26 AM
It happens too regularly at the same time for that to be it, in my opinion...

How often do you see a bard corpse and mobs wandering back though?

My theory is when the bards die and the mobs disperse thats when the lag lets up...

As long as they run and dont try to zone... That couldnt be holding the server in its hiccup... as soon as they get creme pied.. Server chills out..

Hazaa
07-25-2013, 02:27 AM
the more threads and attention you give to the DDoSer, the more fun he has doing it.

just my 2cp

/flicks the copper back...

ozguy
07-25-2013, 04:57 AM
How often do you see a bard corpse and mobs wandering back though?

My theory is when the bards die and the mobs disperse thats when the lag lets up...

+1 for bards dying

webrunner5
07-25-2013, 07:34 AM
+1 for bards dying

I'll second that. :p

astuce999
07-25-2013, 08:24 AM
I seem to recall during the "classic" AE kiting days that whenever bards would kite the entire zone of dulak it would cause some server problems.

I think the same argument for Ivandyr's hoop, and dual boxing should be used with bard AE kiting. Yes, it is classic, but it was done on such a small scale that it didnt factor in much.

On p99, it is so rampant, that I think the nerf that ended up working (they did nerf it 3 times before getting it right), which is that moving non-fleeing mobs take no damage from AE dot songs, should be implemented.

This is my opinion, as a bard, and is unrelated to the server lag. If AE kiting had been so widespread back in kunark on live, we all know they would have nerfed it to oblivion asap.

Astuce

Robdukes
07-25-2013, 08:48 AM
The people who hate bard kiting are part of the reason this is so rampant now. Ever since those few threads recently that ended up being on the top of the new posts list constantly because everyone had to keep posting about it. Now I see bards everywhere and get random tells every time I log on asking for advice on swarming.

Gaffin Deeppockets
07-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Honestly I am on a pretty good damn computer. But zoning into DL last night and running across I was running in slow motion, and lagging pretty bad. Coming across the field to KC I noticed like 60 mobs being kited by a bard. The lag was hella bad.

Putting my tin foil hat on, but is this a possibility? I remember on live swarm kiting would crash zones easily doing AA's with over 100 mobs.

Raavak
07-25-2013, 08:58 AM
With the DDOS going on, are people still ae kiting so much? I'd be nervous to quad even.

Gaffin Deeppockets
07-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Yeah. How? Dunno

Lojik
07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
With the DDOS going on, are people still ae kiting so much? I'd be nervous to quad even.

TBH quadding isn't so bad during ddos attacks, since the attacks are for short periods of time. 90% of the time you're meditating anyway, so there's really only a 10% chance that you'll have aggro if DDOS strikes while quad kiting. Groups in dungeons are actively fighting most of the time, so they'll usually wipe, particularly in tough dungeons like seb. From the /who list that place (seb) is a ghost town come prime time.

this user was banned
07-25-2013, 10:13 AM
This is absurd, people were doing massive AE kiting for years and it's a problem now why? Anyone posting about lag doesn't understand the client/server infrastructure at all. I've done plenty of AE kiting in my time, turn down graphics, no slowdown at all and zero latency change.

Platlord rebuilding his losses after being banned makes more sense to me.

rebeccablack
07-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Hazaa really doubling down on the stupid this week

Hazaa
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
This is absurd, people were doing massive AE kiting for years and it's a problem now why? Anyone posting about lag doesn't understand the client/server infrastructure at all. I've done plenty of AE kiting in my time, turn down graphics, no slowdown at all and zero latency change.

Platlord rebuilding his losses after being banned makes more sense to me.

yeah but when you were doing your AE groups it was probably just your group doing it...

Not every effin zone having a bard running around a train..

Hazaa
07-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Hazaa really doubling down on the stupid this week

Rebecca thanks for not inputting anything worthwhile to the conversation...
Sorry I actually give a shit and am trying to come up with alternative theories ...
you can /q now...

Hazaa
07-25-2013, 12:14 PM

As long as your in an open area and keep running and dont try to zone and run faster than whatever you were killing at the tiome you will live... 100% ... The onlt times i have died from ddos is when I tried to zone.. or was stuck in a dungeon where there wasnt much I could do.. except slowly watch my enchanter or tank die as my cast bar was greyed out and pet wouldnt listen to commands..

Hazaa
07-25-2013, 12:16 PM
The people who hate bard kiting are part of the reason this is so rampant now. Ever since those few threads recently that ended up being on the top of the new posts list constantly because everyone had to keep posting about it. Now I see bards everywhere and get random tells every time I log on asking for advice on swarming.

I am also not fully against the bard kiting I got 2 levels in 4 pulls from it from Tacite pling a group that included me..

He literally pulled 100 mobs at a time.. easily....

Sithel1988
07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
just root one of the mobs and go on your way. thats what i do :D

Hazaa
07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
just root one of the mobs and go on your way. thats what i do :D

that accomplishes what? they would just keep running and leave the 1 rooted one in the dust...

tacite
07-26-2013, 09:01 AM
http://s24.postimg.org/uz85ofa1h/npcentipede2.jpg

This looks familiar... :D

My log said there were 221 mobs in the biggest pull we did, AND we were able to leave the people XPing at the fort alone completely - happy parties all around!

t0lkien
07-26-2013, 09:08 AM
that accomplishes what? they would just keep running and leave the 1 rooted one in the dust...

Yes, it does nothing. The mob will just return at some point and join his swarm if it's still alive. One mob is nothing to a bard. It is *possible* in a worst case scenario that it returns at exactly the wrong moment, gets a hit in and stuns the Bard, and his swarm destroys him. That's unlikely though.

If you really want to mess a swarming Bard up, fear bomb his kite.

this user was banned
07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
If you really want to mess a swarming Bard up, fear bomb his kite.

This, bard aoe fear song = gg

t0lkien
07-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Actually, there's another way, but it involves drawing a casting mob onto the Bard, and I'm not sure if aggro works the same way here as it did on live. I saw a Necro do it in PoP, and was amazed. It involves aggroing a caster (preferably one that has root), healing the Bard as he/she goes by and then FDing (or zoning I guess - anything that drops you off the caster's aggro list). The caster should then go after the Bard.

SoWing random mobs is annoying too. Smart Bards can deal with it, but it annoying at the very least.

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
07-26-2013, 10:34 AM
AE kites should not be looked at because they will tax the visual processing power of your computer when it attempts to render all of the mobs at once.

The server does not waste resources in this way. It merely keeps track of where the mobs are and what they are doing. It does this at all times, so rounding them up will not increase the strain on the server at all.

true, but also keeps track of combat, stats, and spells being cast on them and whatnot. so the fact that every mob in a zone is being touched at the same time, you are now producing more work at exactly the same second. But this is not the cause of whats going on, just showing that it does in fact use up more resources than just monitoring where they are at any given time

Temin
07-26-2013, 12:19 PM
What if multiple players are doing this in different zones at the same time...

Once the lag spike hit, they would die immediately from the number of mobs